• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamVR market results Nov 2022: Top 3 Headsets - Quest 2 41%, Index 17%, Rift S 13%. Comps - Meta(FB) 63%, Valve 17%, HTC 10%. Pico 4 fastest selling

https://mixed-news.com/en/pico-4-is-the-fastest-growing-vr-headset-on-steamvr-in-november/

2 percent of Steam users use VR headsets​

Valve’s monthly hardware and software survey covers all VR headsets that connect to Steam at least once in that month and whose users participate in the data collection. The statistics include the percentage of SteamVR users out of the total Steam user base.

The highest recorded value to date is 2.31 percent (May 2021). In November 2022, it was 2.03 percent. Assuming that Steam had an average of 132 million monthly active users last year, SteamVR should have around 2.7 million users.

Where Pico and Meta stand​

Pico 4 started securing market share as early as October 2022, but the device did not see a larger impact until November. The market share increased by 0.48 percentage points from 0.19 percent to 0.67 percent.

This means Pico 4 grew faster than any other VR headset (at least, its SteamVR use did). The Meta Quest Pro (review), which also launched in October and is four times as expensive, is likely reflected in the “Other” category not shown above, which grew by 0.13 percentage points.

More important is how the device performs after the holiday shopping season. If the Pico 4 continues to gain, it could overtake HTC Vive Pro 2, HTC Vive Cosmos, and HTC Vive Pro next month, and maybe even make up more ground.

The SteamVR statistics only provide relative and indirect information about the actual sales success, especially regarding Meta Quest 2, since both devices are primarily used in their standalone functionality.

For Pico, however, the race to catch up has just begun, as the following chart of the SteamVR market shares shows. This chart adds up all VR headsets of one manufacturer or platform (Windows Mixed Reality).

Companies by Marketshare for SteamVR November 2022,
SteamVR-November-2022-Marktanteile.jpg

Headsets by marketshare on SteamVR for Nov 2022,

November 2022Difference
Meta Quest 241.12%– 0.37 %
Valve Index17.52 %+ 0.01 %
Oculus Rift S13.37 %– 0.50 %
HTC Vive7.02 %+ 0.01 %
Oculus Rift6.29 %– 0.01 %
Windows Mixed Reality5.25 %– 0.06 %
Meta Quest2.56 %– 0.09 %
HTC Vive Pro1.43 %+ 0.01 %
HTC Vive Cosmos1.23 %+ 0.14 %
HTC Vive Pro 20.69 %+ 0.04 %
Pico 40.67 %+ 0.48 %
Pico Neo 30.64 %+ 0.07 %
SteamVR user base2.03 %+ 0.13 %

The new marketshare report is in.

Meta/Facebook dominated with 63% of SteamVR market share with 3 Headsets, with Quest 2 taking 41% and Rift S at 13%.

Valve is actually second with 17% of the market just with the Index, also at 17%.

HTC vives other headsets aren't doing to hot but all together are enough to net HTC third.

The recent Pico 4 is the fast growing headset with a +48% difference. While that doesn't seem much compared to the Quest and Valve, as the article says it has a chance to pass at it's current rate 3 HTC headsets. I'm not sure what's going on at HTC but they got to get their butts in gear.

It's good to see that despite a lack of aggression on the Index, Valve's headset is still doing well but it could be more competitive with Quest if valve pushed it more. Meta(FB) having 63% of the market is insane.

hlm666

The recent Pico 4 is the fast growing headset with a +48% difference.
This is somewhat interesting considering you can't get it outside eu and asia currently. Outside sim players going top shelf on varyo and pimax units I think the quest and pico results are showing pc players prefer to the option to use their headset standalone or for pcvr. The cost probably has an impact but the pico isn't alot cheaper than an hp g2.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So only 2.7M (2%) gamers actively use VR on PC on a monthly basis. Thats piddly low. Lower than I thought. That doesnt mean there arent more owners on Steam. Just that they didn't register in the survey the entire month (ie. nothing to play).

And it's not like the typical VR user is going to be playing games by VR 100% of the time. They surely play traditional non-VR games too. So the actual VR gaming time is probably like 1%.

No wonder VR games are short $15 demo kinds of games. The market isn't even close to doing full budget games.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So only 2.7M (2%) gamers actively use VR on PC on a monthly basis. Thats piddly low. Lower than I thought. That doesnt mean there arent more owners on Steam. Just that they didn't register in the survey the entire month (ie. nothing to play).

And it's not like the typical VR user is going to be playing games by VR 100% of the time. They surely play traditional non-VR games too. So the actual VR gaming time is probably like 1%.

No wonder VR games are short $15 demo kinds of games. The market isn't even close to doing full budget games.

I think most of the market is Quest standalone. I love VR but I havent had a reason to use my headset in a while.

Top Bottom