• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

oh for fucks sake.

Even the verdict sections (the only part of that review i read) reads like this person wanted it to be a gal-game.

FFS ign.

Hmm? The review makes it clear that the reviewer wanted Steins;Gate to be less of a gal game - the one complaint she lays at it is that there's too much forced romance. She singles out a scene of "near sexual assault" for her most scathing criticism.

COumilkWcAAcVOd.png:orig

I wonder if she considered that the scene
where Okabe pins down Moeka
is actually supposed to be uncomfortable. It certainly wasn't out of character though,
he literally wanted to kill her at one point

"Dating elements" doesn't even mean what she thinks it means. I mean, it's fucking IGN but still, spend 5 minutes on google.

Dating elements or "dating sims" are phrases people that don't know much about visual novels like to bandy about in pretty misplaced situations.

I'm all for respecting differences in opinion, especially when well reasoned. But that review is all kinds of bleugh. There's a reason why I'm a longterm advocate for finding a few select reviewers whose opinions you respect and only following them.
"Dating elements" doesn't even mean what she thinks it means. I mean, it's fucking IGN but still, spend 5 minutes on google.
Ayup.
No, it's from here.
Did the review credit this source? Didn't notice it.

TheChaos0

I've read the review. Just as the image suggests the only thing the reviewer didn't like was "dating elements" (eeeehhhh?) and that scene, where he pinned someone down. Yet the rest of the review felt pretty positive. How did we arrive at this score then? It didn't sound, like it was just an "Okay".

I didn't particular liked how everyone was falling into his embrace either but I felt it was more about Okabe continuing to make a choice to sacrifice his happiness again and again, for someone he loved. Even then not all the endings were all that happy either, 1st one for example.

The episode with Moeka didn't really feel out of place. Okabe saw her kill Mayu countless times. She was dangerous, murderer in his mind.

Roto13

That's a higher score than I gave it. I gave it 3/5 stars.

Guffaw and the "Dating" complaint all you want, but the endings are all just deciding which girl is your new girlfriend.

TheChaos0

Guffaw and the "Dating" complaint all you want, but the endings are all just deciding which girl is your new girlfriend.

Getting those ending doesn't even feel good, you know where the world is going and
Okabe is still going to die anyway
. Hardly a happy ending. All this is, is an easy way out for the protagonist.

I do wish 2 of the chapters would have had some more interesting way of
changing the future
. They felt more like a filler, than anything. Still everything before and after was great.

I've read the review. Just as the image suggests the only thing the reviewer didn't like was "dating elements" (eeeehhhh?) and that scene, where he pinned someone down. Yet the rest of the review felt pretty positive. How did we arrive at this score then? It didn't sound, like it was just an "Okay".
I mean, using the scale I roll with, I could see myself giving the game a score around a 7-7.5 if I was being very thorough and critical. But I use the whole scale. The only reason the 6.9 really sticks out to me is because like you said, the review is very positive and we're also used to reviewers not really using the entirety of the scale.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So what the hell made it a 6.9 instead of a damn 7? Like, what's even the freakin' difference, let alone between a 6.8 & 6.9?

Still, a 7 (I'm rounding up because decimal scores are stupid) out of 10 is still fairly decent, not to mention it's not even the lowest score I've seen.

Firestar

So what the hell made it a 6.9 instead of a damn 7? Like, what's even the freakin' difference, let alone between a 6.8 & 6.9?

Still, a 7 (I'm rounding up because decimal scores are stupid) out of 10 is still fairly decent, not to mention it's not even the lowest score I've seen.

I remember reading a while back the logic one reviewer gave behind this. It's the highest they can give before the big text on IGN switches from OKAY to GOOD or something.

The review was kind of bad in my opinion. (dating elements?) Although I'm obviously biased because I really like the game.
It also lists PS4 instead of PS3.

Also not a fan of the image they used at the top. Should've just gone with a nice official artwork, that doesn't even look like the art in the game.

No, it's from here.

Yikes. A review using fan art instead of official game art is pretty bad, and I'm surprised the IGN editors let that slide.

I think people steeped in the VN scene can lose some perspective of what people coming in without familiarity with it see. There are times when the vestiges of dating sims - requiring the male protagonist to get romantically involved with all the girls around him - will negatively impact the narrative. I felt this way with some routes of Clannad, for instance, where the romantic element felt tacked on and forced. If a VN writer feels it's necessary to write in romance because that's what's expected by the audience, even if that romance doesn't fit with the rest of the characterization and plot, that's unfortunate.

Of course, while I understand the general gist of the concern raised, the IGN review is poorly written. It's unfortunate that it is now one of the first things anyone will see when they go to search for information on Steins;Gate:

Indeed, drilling down review scores to that level of granularity is pretty silly. I can understand if you're Consumer Reports and have a system you consistently follow to judge products such as cars or appliances, but if you're reviewing a game or a movie or a book you can't do that. I prefer a four or five star system, or even a simple "Recommended - Not Recommended" judgement.

Jachaos

I'll say, that review is objectively wrong at the end there and the pin-down part feels like it was taken out of context after just spamming the skip button and seeing an image of someone being forced to the floor (in a place where it made sense, regardless of gender). It's really too bad because IGN is weighed heavily in the Metacritic score and IGN has its own section on the Google search results. This will probably keep a few people from trying it so yeah. It's too bad.

I'll say, that review is objectively wrong at the end there and the pin-down part feels like it was taken out of context after just spamming the skip button and seeing an image of someone being forced to the floor (in a place where it made sense, regardless of gender). It's really too bad because IGN is weighed heavily in the Metacritic score and IGN has its own section on the Google search results. This will probably keep a few people from trying it so yeah. It's too bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some skip-button spamming going on since apparently it only took 20 hours to get all endings.

Jachaos

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some skip-button spamming going on since apparently it only took 20 hours to get all endings.

I just finished it last week and it took me around 30 hours I think. Maybe a bit more. 20 hours in I was still working on my first ending so yeah.

It could be worse. Look at USGamer's review of the Xblaze VN(which is not a good game), where they gave it a 2/10 after a few hours because the reviewer got a bad end and couldn't wrap his mind around how the game worked. And then spent half the review ranting about how moe has ruined Japanese entertainment.

Clov

Well, I'm all done with the game! As in, I just finished
Luka's ending.
She's my favorite, and I already know the true ending and everything from watching the anime several years ago, so I decided to stop there. I really did enjoy it, though! Hope someone brings Steins;Gate 0 over here soon! Preferably on my Vita. Maybe even that silly love comedy spin-off too, if that's any good at all.

Though on a side note, since I do have a save before a critical decision, I could continue at a later time. Though I'm probably missing a bunch of true end flags... For those who've totally cleared this game, is it worth doing all the work for the true ending if you've already seen the anime?

cj_iwakura

Well, I'm all done with the game! As in, I just finished
Luka's ending.
She's my favorite, and I already know the true ending and everything from watching the anime several years ago, so I decided to stop there. I really did enjoy it, though! Hope someone brings Steins;Gate 0 over here soon! Preferably on my Vita. Maybe even that silly love comedy spin-off too, if that's any good at all.

Though on a side note, since I do have a save before a critical decision, I could continue at a later time. Though I'm probably missing a bunch of true end flags... For those who've totally cleared this game, is it worth doing all the work for the true ending if you've already seen the anime?

Do the true ending. It's BREATHTAKING in the VN. Trust me. So worth it.

It could be worse. Look at USGamer's review of the Xblaze VN(which is not a good game), where they gave it a 2/10 after a few hours because the reviewer got a bad end and couldn't wrap his mind around how the game worked. And then spent half the review ranting about how moe has ruined Japanese entertainment.

Wait, what? I have to see this.

That said, I only played a tiny amount of XBlaze Code: Embryo before I took a step back and said, "Yeah, this game really isn't for me."

You definitely should not be reviewing this game then.

And it's not like the visual language of anime—something XC:E trafficks in—is an altogether foreign concept to me: I actually cut my teeth on anime reviews as a young freelancer, and watched countless series for years until the dark cloud of moe descended on the industry and made everything... icky.

Oh dear.

Above all, I'm just astounded that Arc System Works shoved such a downright evil mechanic into their game, because it only serves to rob players of their free time by forcing them to restart again and again (skipping all of that dialogue again and again) with absolutely no clue as to what went wrong.

OK, seriously, getting bad endings and replaying the game, making different choices to get different endings - that's some new, malicious, playing-hating mechanic Arc System Works came up with, that's a core aspect of how VNs operate. Even some console ADVs which have broken into mainstream awareness such as 999 do this. Try to have some familiarity with the type of game you're reviewing before you throw around wild accusations!

I would not have expected Bob Mackey to be this bad.

zakujanai

I completely agree, the dating elements were completely unnecessary to the story. It was my biggest turn off whilst playing this, though the linearity of the story branching wasn't far behind.

Edit: Just realised this made made my point much better than I did.

That IGN review is bogus. Significantly marking down a visual novel for dating elements and a scene that you apparently misjudged is almost farcical. I don't even have a burning distaste for IGN like so many others do, but reviews like that aren't helping their cause.

Moeka
was a piece of shit anyway. It's not like she deserved to be treated well. Rintarou's actions during that segment are entirely justified.

Shiina

I completely agree, the dating elements were completely unnecessary to the story. It was my biggest turn off whilst playing this, though the linearity of the story branching wasn't far behind.

Edit: Just realised this made made my point much better than I did.

Well, shit. I initially posted the screenshot to make fun of that minus point because the game has no dating elements at all but then there are posts like this and I'm not sure who is trolling whom anymore. Poe's law much.

Roto13

I wonder if people actually know what they're talking about when they refer "dating elements" in games. Some posts here make me think "no."

You're right, it doesn't even have the depth of a dating sim, it just goes "Here are some girls. Pick the one(s) you want and then buy statues and body pillows."

zakujanai

I wonder if people actually know what they're talking about when they refer "dating elements" in games. Some posts here make me think "no."

I know that there is a needless insistence in giving a romantic entanglement with each of the predominantly female cast members that just isn't warranted. As such there are "elements" of "dating" that I feel detract from my enjoyment if the story.

I know that there is a needless insistence in giving a romantic entanglement with each of the predominantly female cast members that just isn't warranted. As such there are "elements" of "dating" that I feel detract from my enjoyment if the story.
Yes, I feel like this is exactly what was being said in the IGN review. And even though I'm a huge fan of the story I feel like this is one of its weakest points. Not enough that it seriously affects my opinion of it, though. Just stop trying to force your preconceived notions of "dating sim" onto the IGN review summary when that's not what it's actually saying.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
That IGN review is just lol-worthy.

EDIT:
Just stop trying to force your preconceived notions of "dating sim" onto the IGN review summary when that's not what it's actually saying.

Never thought I'd see the words "Steins;Gate" and "dating sim" in the same sentence.

There are romance elements but it's nothing like a dating sim and the people that think it is are utterly mistaken.
And dare I say, foolish.

And yes I've played the VN on PC.

Bittercup

Yes, not just for the true ending. I would try to see every ending in the game and the story overall in the game. The anime is way too rushed in my opinion.
Getting to the true ending with a guide isn't much work either when you just fast forward all text.

Yes, I feel like this is exactly what was being said in the IGN review. And even though I'm a huge fan of the story I feel like this is one of its weakest points. Not enough that it seriously affects my opinion of it, though. Just stop trying to force your preconceived notions of "dating sim" onto the IGN review summary when that's not what it's actually saying.
I like this post.

Jachaos

Are gamers afraid of any possible romance hint in any of their games? Categorizing any games that touches on that derogatorily as a "dating sim". No wonder any "best couples/expressions of love in games" threads are always so weak.

On the
linearity of romance paths, I agree the endings amount to staying with a specific person (aside from the groundhog day one maybe)
. But that doesn't make it a dating sim nor is it necessarily a point that should make a great story just "okay".

Picked up the Korean version here in Korea, just started out, figure it'd be a good way to improve my Korean. Definitely a slow start, but I'm sure the story will pick up later!

Roto13

It's just an ok story even if you just get the true ending and skip the other ones. Too much boring crap in the first half and too much focus on the two worst characters. (Okabe and Mayuri.)

Prelude.

It's just an ok story even if you just get the true ending and skip the other ones. Too much boring crap in the first half and too much focus on the two worst characters. (Okabe and Mayuri.)
It's okay to have an opinion but don't push it as something objective.
Ultimately, technobabble aside, S;G is a love story, the relationships between the characters is the focus of the whole game, without the "boring crap" build-up you wouldn't give a shit about anything happening afterward.
Seems like some people just wanted the game to be something that it's not.

Burnburn

Hey, I liked that "boring crap" D:. I normally hate slice of life (or "boring crap" more eloquently put) but I found it very endearing in this game. The game isn't about "grand"(
Sern, a dystopia etc
) things, even though it has it, it's just to push the plot forward. In the end the game is about your relationships with the characters, as Prelude already said above me. It's about caring for these characters and all the hard stuff that gets thrown at them and how they deal with that. And honestly, if that's not your thing and you were looking for a more action packed game then that's fine. But please refrain from calling stuff boring or ok without even bringing an argument. Seriously why should we ask you to touch on the arguments you're making, when you present an argument you should give argumentation too.

I do agree about the endings having too much forced romance in them. I think if the endings would be just like
Suzuha's
it would've been better. Her ending doesn't have forced romance and ends up being great for it.

Rich!

Might start playing this later. Bought it in the Vita sale.

So uh...what's it like? Pure visual novel or does it have gameplay elements to it?

I love danganronpa if that helps, but I would actually describe that as more of an adventure game in the vein of old lucasarts oddly enough.

Might start playing this later. Bought it in the Vita sale.

So uh...what's it like? Pure visual novel or does it have gameplay elements to it?

I love danganronpa if that helps, but I would actually describe that as more of an adventure game in the vein of old lucasarts oddly enough.

It's a pure visual novel. No gameplay beyond choices.

Top Bottom