• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade’s uncensored release in Japan prompts criticism | GM of EA Japan thinks the game's CERO D rating is indicative of double standards

20240422-290587-header-960x640.jpg

Shift Up’s Stellar Blade is scheduled to launch on April 26. With the release date approaching, the Stellar Blade official X account has announced that the game will be uncensored in all regions, including Japan. Stellar Blade will be released in Japan with a CERO D (17+) rating and no content restrictions – a decision that has raised questions among industry professionals about the CERO rating system’s consistency.

While Stellar Blade’s Japan release has earned a 17+ rating with content descriptors for Sexual Content and Violence, it appears the game will be released without any censorship. The game’s sexual aspects, such as the heroine’s carefully crafted rear view and provocative costumes, have been talked about ever since the game was announced, but Stellar Blade also includes some rather gory depictions (as far as the demo reveals). For example, one cutscene depicts the cross-section of a character’s severed arm, and mangled bodies of humanoid enemies can also be spotted.

20240422-29912-001.jpg

Post translation: What’s going on CERO? The Stellar Blade’s demo was really fun and absolutely action-packed. However, CERO, you denied our Dead Space a rating because it included cross-sections of severed body parts and internal organs, but here we have both cross-sections and insides on display passed off with a CERO D rating. I find this hard to accept…

The disparity between Stellar Blade’s gore and its CERO D rating has prompted a response from Electronic Arts Japan’s General Manager Shaun Noguchi. While Noguchi offers nothing but praise for Stellar Blade itself (even encouraging people to buy it), he questions the CERO rating system and its apparent inconsistency. He mentions that EA’s Dead Space (released in January 2023) was denied a CERO rating due to “depictions of cross-sections of severed body parts and internal organs.” As video games cannot be released on consoles (physically) in Japan without a CERO rating, the initially planned console releases of Dead Space were cancelled, and the game could only be released on PC in the country.

Noguchi’s words indicate that Dead Space was not even eligible for a CERO Z (18+) rating, while Stellar Blade received the lower CERO D rating even though it contains depictions similar to what Dead Space was rejected for. Again, Noguchi stresses that he has no intention to criticize Stellar Blade, but rather to express his dissatisfaction with Japan’s ambiguous rating process for console games.

As mentioned previously, console games in Japan can only be released after having been reviewed and assigned a rating by the appropriate organization. For physical releases, publishers are more or less obligated to request a review from the Japan-based CERO. For digital-only titles, publishers also have the option of requesting a rating from the overseas-based IARC, but there are exceptions.

20240422-290587-001.jpg

Starting March 2022, the Japanese PlayStation Store started accepting IARC ratings in addition to the existing CERO ratings for digital-only releases (Related article). On the other hand, titles intended for ages 18 and older still require a CERO rating. In other words, SIE still requires the acquisition of a CERO rating for physical and digital sales of games that are rated 18 or older under the IARC generic rating.

As was the case with the previously mentioned Dead Space, CERO rating-related troubles have led to publishers making big changes to their sales plans. One example is the 2022 sci-fi horror The Callisto Protocol, which had its Japanese release cancelled for failing to obtain a CERO rating (Related article). The title never made it to consoles or PC in Japan.

Under current circumstances, distributors can be forced to change their plans drastically or cancel a release entirely depending on CERO’s decision, especially if their game contains some form of explicit content. In his thread on X, Noguchi comments that many titles have been victims of CERO’s “vague” review process. He hopes for the introduction of a more transparent system and criteria, such as a checklist or point system.

20240422-290587-002.jpg

According to CERO’s official website, their reviewers are recruited from the general public and consist of men and women in their 20s to 60s from various occupations. After undergoing training by CERO, they examine content based on a list of 27 items subject to review. Each item on the list has its upper limit, and depictions that exceed the tolerated range are designated as “banned expressions.” Games found to contain banned expressions are denied a CERO rating. Based on what Noguchi is saying, it seems CERO does not communicate clearly to manufacturers about what exactly these upper limits are, resulting in an ambiguous rating process.

ranmafan

Honestly I’m glad they are complaining, cause that’s what all companies should do with CERO. Their draconian rules and useless z rating need to be criticized and changed. No one likes the system here too and all it has done is just piss off gamers from getting games with content that would be fine for any other form of media in Japan.

HoodWinked

Rating systems will always have a level of subjectivity.

There is a big difference between the games. A main focus of Dead Space is the gore and body horror. It's in almost every frame all throughout the environments and
you are forced to interact with it throughout the game.

But also there probably is a level of protectionism to be more harsh to western games. While Stellar Blade has the look of a Japanese game.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This game is rocking the gaming world and it’s not even out.
Shame that in the end, nothing will come out of all these rustled jimmies.
The game will not be a masterpiece, and once its sales are revealed to be nothing special, everything will get back to normal.

Don't understand the EA hate in this thread, they raise a genuine point. Just because its EA doesn't mean their point should be ignored. Broken clock and all that. Automatically taking the opposite position on an issue just because of who is on the other side is a dumb way to live and you're just giving EA a weirdly large amount of control over your life.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Unfair treatment for EA and the developers of Callisto Protocol, but I’m guessing no one read the article.

Is the Cero board biased, and gave Stellar Blade a free pass because it’s published by Sony?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Trust you to make this a platform thing.
I didn't mention a platform. EA and Sony are publishers of two games being compared here. Are we not supposed to talk about the publisher of Stella Blade? Are you honestly that sensitive? Sony is a huge Japanese company; along with Nintendo they are the biggest in gaming by far. Nintendo doesn't need to worry about censorship, but Sony pushes the boundaries a lot.

And we've seen double standards with Sony 1st party stuff in the past in regards to censorship; not from CERO Z necessarily but on the western side that they control. They were cracking down heavily on any sexual content on their platform for a while, but saw nothing wrong with sex scenes in The Last of Us. It seems obvious to me that if there was a double standard here, it's because Sony is a hugely influential corporation in Japan, and EA is not.

Unfair treatment for EA and the developers of Callisto Protocol, but I’m guessing no one read the article.

Is the Cero board biased, and gave Stellar Blade a free pass because it’s published by Sony?
How dare you mention platforms!?!? Everyone knows that if there was a ratings bias, it is not related in any way to the S word.

ahh-frustrated.gif

Last edited:

midnightAI

Not surprising there would be huge double standards for a Sony game. But I do think Dead Space has more gore I'm sure.
Just a bit...

The only thing he's seen really is Tachy's arm being cut off, bit of a difference (there may be more further into the game, but Dead Space is almost as gory as Mortal Kombat)

Reactions: Isa

yurinka

In age ratings normally nudity/violence/gore gets a lower rating when instead of humans it is monsters, robots or cyborgs.

They can say here that the people in the games are robots or cyborgs, and in case of nudity they can say that the "nude" costume really is a full body costume that totally covers her.

And we've seen double standards with Sony 1st party stuff in the past in regards to censorship;
There aren't double standards, the thing is that digital only games get a simpler pass in the different age ratings available worldwide. Meanwhile physical releases in some countries have additional, more strict requirements to get rated. So when a game gets only physical release on a specific platform, gets higher rating for it. On top of that, some big retailers from USA don't accept certain type of content.

Devs often makes changes for different regions to adapt themselves to different age rating or censorship (being Germany, Australia, USA, Japan or China the typical cases) in different countries.

And well, people rate these things, so sometimes they make mistakes or exceptions.

Last edited:

midnightAI

In age ratings normally nudity/violence/gore gets a lower rating when instead of humans it is monsters, robots or cyborgs.

They can say here that the people in the games are robots or cyborgs, and in case of nudity they can say that the "nude" costume really is a full body costume that totally covers her.
Yeh, they are more lenient when it's not human, Tachy also looks to have metal instead of bone so maybe cyborg, we'll no doubt find out later in the game (she will return)

Reactions: Isa

GHG

I didn't mention a platform. EA and Sony are publishers of two games being compared here. Are we not supposed to talk about the publisher of Stella Blade? Are you honestly that sensitive? Sony is a huge Japanese company; along with Nintendo they are the biggest in gaming by far. Nintendo doesn't need to worry about censorship, but Sony pushes the boundaries a lot.

And we've seen double standards with Sony 1st party stuff in the past in regards to censorship; not from CERO Z necessarily but on the western side that they control. They were cracking down heavily on any sexual content on their platform for a while, but saw nothing wrong with sex scenes in The Last of Us. It seems obvious to me that if there was a double standard here, it's because Sony is a hugely influential corporation in Japan, and EA is not.

How dare you mention platforms!?!? Everyone knows that if there was a ratings bias, it is not related in any way to the S word.

ahh-frustrated.gif

Sony's very own games have been censored in Japan (including the very sex scenes in TLOU that you mention):

Capcom's games have been censored in Japan:

Beyond that other games developed in Japan have been subject to censorship in their own country:

It's got nothing to do with whether or not the games are made/published by Sony (or any other large Japanese company), they are very particular when it comes to certain aspects of violence, blood and gore. The rules are across the board and the publishers get informed well ahead of time with a list of recommended alterations in order to make the game pass the rating system. If they refuse, the game gets banned outright.

So as usual, rants with zero fact and zero education. Try again.

Suggested reading for you which will enable you to understand their history and why they are so picky when it comes to the depiction of violence and sex in their media along with where the various distinctions (which some might determine to be "inconsistencies") come about:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sony's very own games have been censored in Japan:

That's all you had to say. I have no problem taking in some new info. If they've censored Sony games in the past it's pretty clear they aren't favoring Sony then.
I didn't mention platforms at all, and I didn't rant.

GHG

That's all you had to say. I have no problem taking in some new info. If they've censored Sony games in the past it's pretty clear they aren't favoring Sony then.
I didn't mention platforms at all, and I didn't rant.

You're on the internet, you are only ever a google search away from discovering whether or not your biases and assumptions are grounded in fact. Instead of doing so when questioned, you decided to double down.

rx1B9EY.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You're on the internet, you are only ever a google search away from discovering whether or not your assumptions are grounded in fact. Instead of doing so when questioned, you decided to double down.

rx1B9EY.png
If all you are actually looking to do is pick a fight, then I'll just put you on ignore like before. I'm fine having a conversation and learning something. I acknowledged your point. You're the only one making this into some personal argument, as usual.

GHG

If all you are actually looking to do is pick a fight, then I'll just put you on ignore like before. I'm fine having a conversation and learning something. I acknowledged your point. You're the only one making this into some personal argument, as usual.

Honestly it makes no difference to me whether or not you put me on ignore. It won't stop me pointing out when you're completely incorrect.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly it makes no difference to me whether or not you put me on ignore. It won't stop me pointing out when you're completely incorrect.
Yes, we all know that's not how ignore works. You're free to post anything you want, knock yourself out. And I have no problem with you pointing out if I'm incorrect about something. Why would I? Why would anyone unless they just purposefully want bad information? What it will prevent though is me taking your bait in the future which always leads to endless bickering. Starting now.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Don't understand the EA hate in this thread, they raise a genuine point. Just because its EA doesn't mean their point should be ignored. Broken clock and all that. Automatically taking the opposite position on an issue just because of who is on the other side is a dumb way to live and you're just giving EA a weirdly large amount of control over your life.

Rating boards are stupid AF by default, it was one of the first hallmarks of the sheeple culture that has been further embedded in all of our lives the last twenty or so years. You know what I'm talking about- the notion that consumers are too stupid to buy what they want, or too lazy, so we need the Content Overlords to pass judgement on every release in a kangaroo court of paid access journalists and the chattering heads of in-company yes men.

I firmly blame Jack Thompson, Klebold and Harris. You'll note that all three have since died, so the wheels of justice are still turning, but even so. They're (almost everyone) piloting the gaming plane straight toward the ground. Inject idpol, actively and openly hate your core demographic, circle jerk parties with devs and journos, hiring unqualified people because of the shade of their skin or their genitals, leading to studios full of chaff that get closed, and weaponizing parents' woeful lack of parenting skill. If your kid wants to buy Dead Space, or God of War, it shouldn't really take an M rating to realize that those might be adult themed games.

I finished Dead Space recently and the game is so dark you can barely see any of the gore that isn't already environmental. In addition, it's a sci-fi based game that isn't particularly realistic so I don't get why it wouldn't get a rating.

SaintALia

Obviously EA needs to make a new DeadSpace with a (sexy) female protag in a skin tight outifit. Each time Isaac-er-Isabella goes to pound in a Necormorph's face on the ground, their booty giggles.

But you cancelled Deadspace indefinitely, you done fucked up EA. You could have had Japan and an easy multi-million seller with this idea.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not surprising there would be huge double standards for a Sony game. But I do think Dead Space has more gore I'm sure.
Oh for sure. Dead Space is all about body horror and sound effects that cause anxiety and fear and is very inspired by Alien franchise. I ultimately prefer the original Dead Space series atmosphere instead of the remakes. Nothing I've seen from Stellar Blade is nowhere near as terror inducing or as grotesque.

S SaintALia They used to have a decent Dead Space Mobile game that I think was well received and you played as a female Engineer Karrie Norton known as "Vandal". Game has long since been defunct. Was impressive for being a mobile game of it's time. Gameplay was well integrated with the UI on a mobile device and the story was well thought out. Such a shame EA took it down.

Last edited:

SaintALia

Oh for sure. Dead Space is all about body horror and sound effects that cause anxiety and fear and is very inspired by Alien franchise. I ultimately prefer the original Dead Space series atmosphere instead of the remakes. Nothing I've seen from Stellar Blade is nowhere near as terror inducing or as grotesque.

S SaintALia They used to have a decent Dead Space Mobile game that I think was well received and you played as a female Engineer Karrie Norton known as "Vandal". Game has long since been defunct. Was impressive for being a mobile game of it's time. Gameplay was well integrated with the UI on a mobile device and the story was well thought out. Such a shame EA took it down.
That was a chick? I remember the game, but didn't know it was a female protag. Just read the wiki synopsis, seems it was a Metroid/Samus reveal moment.

Never got the chance to play it either.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That was a chick? I remember the game, but didn't know it was a female protag. Just read the wiki synopsis, seems it was a Metroid/Samus reveal moment.

Never got the chance to play it either.
Oh it was really cool. Voice filter via lore to keep a anonymous identity. Definitely don't make games like those anymore.

demigod

Maybe you should take your own advice and ignore Sony so you can stop picking fights with them in every one of your posts. Then maybe you won’t get called out on your bs.

Keep up the good work GHG GHG !

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Meanwhile in the real world.

Still doesn’t explain Stellar Blade getting a 17 rating and Dead Space being refused an 18+ rating.
You’re fighting monsters in both. Japan is really that sensitive to monster limb dismemberment?

I’m glad my games aren’t so censored.

Top Bottom