• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

You don't find it quite the coincidence that the "updated" versions add more clothing while none of them have less? And that the ones that add clothing add it in specific areas that are typical to censoring? Or that none of these newer versions were updated in late trailers?

That's a fair point (more clothes) but they also changed color and nobody is commenting on that. In the SoP trailer, they showed the bunny suit for a split second and it was pinkish, barely distinguishable from the skin. They made it black, and more visible. But the only thing that matters is the book window. Same as the yellow outfit, which now it's red. The alleged alterations have not been only about covering flesh but style-wise too.

Besides, the timing is illogical. If they were to censor something, they would have done it after the flash demo dropped. They can't cater to the woke media after they got review-bombed by that media. The damage is already done, so the motivation is gone. And I don't believe that people with normal functioning brains do things randomly. Specially, things that might harm business.

This reminds me of Tifa in Remake/Rebirth. In Rebirth she has a jiggly swimsuit, but they retroactively added a bra to her design in the flashback. I know Tifa in Remake also got a lot of criticism (initially) for adding leggings and a sports bra to her design, which Nomura said was a result from Square's ethics department.

I don't see that as censorship either. In the flashback scene, Tifa is a minor, and mainstream games don't portray teenagers with cleavage or big boobs. I reckon there's a subtle line between common sense and censorship but we should be able to tell one from the other, or else we end up being the "dark side" of REEE.

You guys have to understand that at the end of the day, this drama is doing nothing but backfiring on us. Grifters don't care if Shift Up sells millions or go broke. They are in it for the clicks. I would be mad if they changed the skinsuit being that the only lewd one. But come on now. This is not reasonable at all.

it's about promises of no censorship in all regions being broken,

This is factually incorrect.

The "no censorship" tweet referred to two things:

- Violence and gore in Japan.

- All versions would have the same content, with no changes among regions.

In some countries marketing gore and dismemberment is forbidden. To them, lewdness is not the issue, violence is. So, they haven't lied.

Venom Snake

68v2km.jpg

Senhua

Its only a middle ground position because its extremists that are the ones making all the noise.

When Shift-Up said no censorship they were no doubt talking to major content changes or revisions; for example forcing all blood to be green, whole sequences getting excised, limb removals and decapitations being removed to avoid higher ratings etc. You know, censorship that is/has been imposed in order to release legally in all territories.

Tweaking a couple of costumes and swapping graffiti decals is not significant in the overall context of a game which is trading just as hard on its sexy character lead in both versions!

This was my point about the moral absolutism being a shared trait of both sides. Something that has an equally chilling effect on creativity regardless of which direction its coming from, because bluntly who wants to be dealing with that sort of noise when you've spent years making a game?

The bottom line is really simple; nothing is changing except that instead of one faction of reactionaries playing chicken-little over every issue they can imagine, now we have two! Big win for gaming!
Well, this is what happens when game developers, mainly Western ones, only cater to one side. Naturally, others will react strongly, especially when they believe they've finally found their kind of games after years of drought.
Well, if you've always just stayed in the middle, then yes, the more persistent group will ultimately prevail.
It's already in my predictions, though, ever since all this nonsense started with games released around 2017-2018.
But of course, in the end, even if there are no anti-woke reacted same as strongly the other side, the pendulum will swing back, but the question remains: when?

I'm already old, and I'm not even Western, so I don't care about foreign politics. Why bother?
That's why around 2021-22, when I felt the situation was worsening, I decided to say "screw it" and fully immerse myself in retro and Chinese AA and indie games on PC (Yes Chinese cause I think some AAA & AA Japanese games already too westernized for me)
SB is the first AAA game I've bought on release day after all that, and I rarely purchase AAA games on launch day, even before all this nonsense
So yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I see this as a lesson to be more cautious about games published by Western developers, especially SIE, in the future

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, it is what happen when game developer (mainly western) only cater to one side, of course the others will react as strongly especially when they think they find their kind of games after years of drought.
Shrug well, if you always just only been in the middle then yes the others more persistent group will prevail.
It's already on my prediction though since all this bullshit started for the games released around 2017-2018.
Yes, in the end even there are no anti woke will react as strongly as this (as your wish) pendulum will be back but when?

I'm already old, and not even western racially for care of foreigner politics so why bother.
That's why on around 2021-22 when I deemed the situation worsened, decided "fuck it" and go full retro and indies on PC.
SB is the first AAA game I bought day one after all that and I rarely buy the AAA games day one even when before all this bullshit.
So yeah, as I said before I consider this is a lesson for me to more cautious about the game published by western developer especially SIE in the future.

Actually I was campaigning against censorship back in the 80's, you know when the right wing were the ones trying to impose their values on everyone else!
So no, I'm not neutral on the issue, its simply that not every battle is worth fighting. Its pointless and unproductive to do so.

Highlighting entities such as SBI, I'm 100% behind. But getting bent out of shape because camel-toe gets scrubbed on a costume? No chance, even though the irony of the revival of Germaine Greer's "female eunuch" argument (a pillar of 2nd wave feminism) by right-leaning radicals, I have to admit is kinda hilarious!

Synastry

Question I started the digital version on release day and I'm 10 hours in then I bought the psychical version can I delete the digital version and then install the psychical version and use the same save?

Or would I have to start over again?

Reactions: Isa

midnightAI

Its only a middle ground position because its extremists that are the ones making all the noise.

When Shift-Up said no censorship they were no doubt talking to major content changes or revisions; for example forcing all blood to be green, whole sequences getting excised, limb removals and decapitations being removed to avoid higher ratings etc. You know, censorship that is/has been imposed in order to release legally in all territories.

Tweaking a couple of costumes and swapping graffiti decals is not significant in the overall context of a game which is trading just as hard on its sexy character lead in both versions!

This was my point about the moral absolutism being a shared trait of both sides. Something that has an equally chilling effect on creativity regardless of which direction its coming from, because bluntly who wants to be dealing with that sort of noise when you've spent years making a game?

The bottom line is really simple; nothing is changing except that instead of one faction of reactionaries playing chicken-little over every issue they can imagine, now we have two! Big win for gaming!
Stop thinking about sex!
You're always on about it. "Will the girls like this? Will the girls like that? Is it too big? Is it too small?"

its simply that not every battle is worth fighting. Its pointless and unproductive to do so.
Whether this particular topic is worth fighting over is subjective. It's fine if you think it's not that important. It's also fine if people want to voice their concerns.

The fact that the developer responded the way he did proves that he knows people are unhappy. They know they messed up, so why should the rest of us pretend like it doesn't matter?

midnightAI

Whether this particular topic is worth fighting over is subjective. It's fine if you think it's not that important. It's also fine if people want to voice their concerns.

The fact that the developer responded the way he did proves that he knows people are unhappy. They know they messed up, so why should the rest of us pretend like it doesn't matter?
Sure, but why are people raging instead of waiting on the answer which he said he'll give shortly? They are discussing it internally, a little bit of patience is required but people would rather bitch and moan.

There are even people saying that the Hard-R change is just as racist with Crime-R (Crimer) being racist also (it's a very far reach as it's just the one urban dictionary entry). Some people want to watch this game burn whether that is too lewd or not lewd enough (I bet there are loads complaining about the 'censorship' who have no intention on buying the game at all)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Well, I think its more likely they realized that they are in a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" scenario.
And that being the case, what path do you think they'll take going forwards?

Aenima

Question I started the digital version on release day and I'm 10 hours in then I bought the psychical version can I delete the digital version and then install the psychical version and use the same save?

Or would I have to start over again?
Your save should work in both versions.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
If the studio had to make compromises, i could understand.

However! It is entirely unacceptable that the changes were un-broadcasted. Even a single tweet explaining they had to alter some things to pass certification, would have been acceptable.

The fact that they marketed it as uncensored, and have the paying customers finding out they are not getting what was advertised after the fact, makes it the fault of the developers.

It isn't the censors that was the issue, it was the dishonesty. The developer lied via false trailers showing content that are not in the real game. And they do not have the courtesy of even admitting they lied.

People bought something based on the marketing material,. They are allowed to get upset if what they got in the box is not what they were told they are getting. That is basically fraud.

EDIT: Imagine if Balder's Gate 3 adverts told you you can have sex with a bear, and when you bought the game the bear sex isn't available anymore. It isn't the lack of bear sex that is offensive, it is the deception.

Last edited:

Senhua

Here was he said:
However the final costume we wanted to show you is indeed the costume in version 1.0.0.2.
I want to clarify that is our final product.
So can anyone convince me how
stellar-patch-small.png

Can the developer who famous for several games with pretty sexy girls wearing revealing nice clothes in it decide to use newer designs without external influence?

Sorry Mr Kim but :
i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Really not feeling the outrage about this as much as others, but as the same time, Shift Up can't go around making "uncensored" claims (even if it was in reference to violence) and then make changes like this that come across as censorship. This is a stupidly needless controversy. As people have constantly pointed out, the number of revealing outfits still in the game make all of this pointless.

Easy fix: revert back to the prior designs. Problem solved.

Sure, but why are people raging instead of waiting on the answer which he said he'll give shortly? They are discussing it internally, a little bit of patience is required but people would rather bitch and moan.
Because we've been through this song and dance before and everyone knows we'll never get an honest answer. The statement he's made thus far makes no sense and it's clear he's hiding the actual source for these last minute changes. Or at least about as clear as we'll likely ever get.

Well, I think its more likely they realized that they are in a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" scenario.
And that being the case, what path do you think they'll take going forwards?
I'm not even really blaming the developers for this. They just did what they had to, to get this game out there. They signed with Sony for a large bag of money and were able to make the game they wanted. They had to compromise a tiny bit but were able to deliver 99.9% of the intended product. I'd say this is an absolute win for them.

But the customer was promised something that wasn't delivered. Those changes probably came from external sources and were likely ideologically motivated. If true, that is censorship and people get to complain about that. The endless discussion about whether something is censorship and whether people get to complain about it just muddies the conversation. It happens every single time the subject of censorship comes up and I'm just tired of it.

Three

It’s censoring when they remove one option and replace it with another. Your example is flawed because it gives you options, the suits in stellar blade are altered and remove the old option.
This is not actually true though. The global release of the iOS/Android game pictured, Destiny Child, does not have all the outfits shown as choices. They created variations of suits that were "all region friendly" and the global release had missing variations. Same with the iOS/Android/Windows release of Nikke.

Really not feeling the outrage about this as much as others, but as the same time, Shift Up can't go around making "uncensored" claims (even if it was in reference to violence) and then make changes like this that come across as censorship. This is a stupidly needless controversy. As people have constantly pointed out, the number of revealing outfits still in the game make all of this pointless.

Easy fix: revert back to the prior designs. Problem solved.
I think people misunderstood what Shift up meant with the "uncensored in all regions" comment. Shift up have a lot of experience with these designs from previous games and made "the final costume [they] wanted to show you in version 1.0.0.2". The game didn't come back from any ratings boards saying you need to change this or that for release anywhere. Did the publisher possibly influence the tone of the game? Possibly, but in the end these were the final designs they intentionally created at Shift Up/Sony and it passed ratings everywhere without being censored in regions for anything (violence or sex). That's what they meant. That's likely why they said it's uncensored in all regions not because they picked specific designs in-house during development. Their own final designs weren't rejected anywhere was the point they were making.

Some people are just outraged by the inhouse design changes that happened in development though at Sony/Shift Up. It's likely that they will release a patch now with costume variations to appease these people, then hope the ratings boards don't try to screw them over with a kiss of death AO rating for anything or ask them to censor in regions. At worse I predict you might get region specific patches depending on how that goes. In the meantime the polished game has the older designs on a working disc if somebody is that outraged by it.

Senhua

This will serve as a wake-up call for the anti-woke crowd: SHIFT UP isn't the hero they've championed in the gaming community. Like other major Japanese publishers, they've chosen to compromise their artistic vision, no matter how small, to boost sales

I imagine many will approach future single-player games from this developer (if there are any) with more caution

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Dev:

"Guys this is definitely the final version of the game....not the actual version we released a couple days ago that went gold a full month ahead of time,clearly and truthfully there was internal discussion to be made over this for over a fucking month and not Soyny being a bunch of soy ass cunts that imposed these changes on us after the sales of the game were already in the bag. "

Anyone who believes this patch is the actual intention of the developers of Nikke of all fucking games and not interferance from king of soy Sony who have so many examples of imposing censorship over these types of games is a fucking idiot.

For fuck's sake I still remember how the playstation version of DMC5 was the only version that had Lady's naked ass putting out more lens flares to cover it than in a Star Trek movie.

Well fuck you Sony! Guess ruining Spiderman with Wokeman 2 wasn't enough for you.

Actual image of the Sony board executives :
vzZf850.gif

Last edited:

Crayon

My god guys are least take a breath.

Anyway about the gore- I saw one comparison where she was totally covered with blood and on the other side just had a few splats. Is there any more known than that?

Three

This will serve as a wake-up call for the anti-woke crowd: SHIFT UP isn't the hero they've championed in the gaming community. Like other major Japanese publishers, they've chosen to compromise their artistic vision, no matter how small, to boost sales

I imagine many will approach future single-player games from this developer (if there are any) with more caution
Shift Up are South Korean.

JohnnyPhats

Imagine being such a whiny bitch that this bothers you. Yet women expose themselves all the time. Good ol lefty LGBTQWTFBBQ brigade being offended FOR them.

Madflavor

My god guys are least take a breath.

Anyway about the gore- I saw one comparison where she was totally covered with blood and on the other side just had a few splats. Is there any more known than that?

I understand the outrage. Lewd female character design is such a rarity in AAA gaming nowadays, and even when there is, the publisher censoring or nerfing the outfits has become commonplace. But then here comes Stellar Blade where the developer is being unapologetically horny with the game's character design. So for many gamers it was a breath of fresh air to finally get a game like this. Then surprise surprise, a lot of the outfits got nerfed. So I think a lot of people are just tired of this shit happening because for many of them this was was the Chosen One for lack of a better term, but it goes to show not even Stellar Blade was safe from this.

midnightAI

Because we've been through this song and dance before and everyone knows we'll never get an honest answer. The statement he's made thus far makes no sense and it's clear he's hiding the actual source for these last minute changes. Or at least about as clear as we'll likely ever get.
Shift Up have been nothing but honest so far, they've talked to the community, they've fixed something that could be construed as racist, they've changed the input lag even though it was for aesthetic reasons, added film grain and CA options as people requested.

Senhua

Shift Up have been nothing but honest so far, they've talked to the community, they've fixed something that could be construed as racist, they've changed the input lag even though it was for aesthetic reasons, added film grain and CA options as people requested.
As honest as "Hey guys, I choose the new design because that will make us more money".
Well after NIKKE and now this, enjoy my scammed money while you can because SU will not get it anymore ever again. Still have a tons of Chinese AA/indies game to enjoy for.

Last edited:

midnightAI

As honest as "Hey guys, I choose the new design because that will make us more money".
Well after NIKKE and now this, enjoy my scammed money while you can because SU will not get it anymore ever again. Still have a tons of Chinese AA/indies game to enjoy for.
Return it and get your money back for the game then?

That's weird, when you make a big deal out of it yourself. You make up a complete story for yourself when there is no evidence at all, and with that you try to justify it to yourself. I'm not sure how am i insecure about this? I've seen some of these outfits and i can't figure out how people can be so upset about this when there are much more in-game which reveal way more?

If Sony wanted to sensorship this, why are other outfits still in the game then?

this drama is even more pathetic than HARD R.

They have different versions of each outfit and they chose what they thought was better aesthetically. That has nothing to do with censorship.

I would take the bait if the bunny suit were the only sexy one in the game but we have the skinsuit (the most lewd outfit in AAA gaming right now) and a huge variety of bikinis and skimpy dresses. This is a non-issue. And by blowing this out of proportion people are disrespecting one of the few devs that are all in for players, not for the media or corporate greed. That enrages me.

I'm starting to think that we deserve the poor state of our entertainment if this dumb overreaction is the best we can do.

Again, I don't get why it was changed IF it was censored in the first place when there's a lot more outfits that show more? Surely they'd go after those first? Or censor ALL of them? What is the point of making them censor just two outfits out of the 30+ in the game?

Seems all the Sony "forced censorship" can't answer.

I am not the one who believes the director of the game is being hostage by Sony and forced to censor the game (after it already went to activists/"woke" reviewers) or/and is an attempt to appease some weird group online... especially when
they arelady allowed this :

cUIa2ou.jpeg
c2QXN7m.jpeg

her sliutte is as naked as it gets and it's exquisite.

i don't think an era member would have posted the images that I did.

As someone who fully agreed with the "it must not be censorship, because there are several outfits in the game that clearly show even more skin" argument, I can understand where you're all coming from. The thing that convinced me otherwise was actually the image below. It's not about the skin that shows, it's about the outline of the skin that doesn't show.

If it's true that you could see the outline of the character's anatomy before the update, and that part of her body appears less defined or noticeable because of another layer of clothes after the update, then I fully understand the censorship claims at that point.

IMO something is only genuinely 'censorship' if it fundamentally affects the creative vision of a product.

It's also funny how certain changes by a dev and/or pub are considered as messing with creative intent, but mods putting Thomas the Tank Engine in a bikini in Resident Evil somehow isn't? 🤣 C'mon, now.

I would argue that "the creative vision of a product" has nothing to do with determining when censorship has taken place. What matters is the intent behind the change. Is content being changed or removed for reasons related to subjective moral, political, or religious values? If yes, that's censorship.

Last edited:

JayK47

It is so dumb that we even have to have this conversation. I have seen this so many times now on Asian games. The outfits get edited for more coverup for the US release. And it looks incredibly tacked on at the last minute. In this case in particular, it is quite glaring how shit of an edit it was. AI could do way better. This was a Friday afternoon rushed job. So it is bad enough it is a cover up, but it is a bad one. The outfit is basically trash. And the developer then lies about the edit. Own up to it. Say Sony required it. How hard is that?

Crayon

I understand the outrage. Lewd female character design is such a rarity in AAA gaming nowadays, and even when there is, the publisher censoring or nerfing the outfits has become commonplace. But then here comes Stellar Blade where the developer is being unapologetically horny with the game's character design. So for many gamers it was a breath of fresh air to finally get a game like this. Then surprise surprise, a lot of the outfits got nerfed. So I think a lot of people are just tired of this shit happening because for many of them this was was the Chosen One for lack of a better term, but it goes to show not even Stellar Blade was safe from this.

100% get it. I was saying exactly "at least take a breath". One can still be quite angry about it without freaking out. I understand the principle, not asking anyone to back down, just try to chill a bit.

You actually put it perfect: "youwerethechosenone.gif" - portraying a man losing his shit, typically used to denote overreactions.

My YouTube feed is plastered with gaming channels rage-baiting over this. People gotta ask if they want to be the triggered type and get carried away.

100% get it. I was saying exactly "at least take a breath". One can still be quite angry about it without freaking out. I understand the principle, not asking anyone to back down, just try to chill a bit.

You actually put it perfect: "youwerethechosenone.gif" - portraying a man losing his shit, typically used to denote overreactions.

My YouTube feed is plastered with gaming channels rage-baiting over this. People gotta ask if they want to be the triggered type and get carried away.
Consumers have rights. Consumers do not like it when the advertised product was not what they received.

Do you WANT companies to get away with false advertising? The fact is the changes were hidden from the public until the game was purchased, that is deception.

It was unacceptable with No Man's Sky back then, it is unacceptable now.

Last edited:
Consumers have rights. Consumers do not like it when the advertised product was not what they received.

Do you WANT companies to get away with false advertising? The fact is the changes were hidden from the public until the game was purchased, that is deception.

That costume was never shown/advertised so they never promised that particular item. They said 30 outfits and we are getting DOUBLE of that, among other many features that usually aren't free.

Customers do a great disservice by not being able to separate the good from the bad.

By the way, Shift Up's CEO has already confirmed that this is THEIR VISION. So, by going against their vision people are literally censoring him, for the sake of "liberty".

Liberty hawks should acknowledge they are doing the dirty job of wokies in this drama. IGN France and Kotaku wouldn't do a better job.

All this over 2 modified outfits, the world has gone mad
There were people who only bought the game because the studio promised things that they liked.

They took the studio at their word, and they were lied to.

it has nothing to do with how small the lie was, what matters is that it broke trust. And money was involved, which makes it worse.

That is actually why I mentioned Balder's Gate 3 and the Bear Sex example. if you still think it is about the outfits you are not arguing in good faith.

That costume was never shown/advertised so they never promised that particular item. They said 30 outfits and we are getting DOUBLE of that, among other many features that usually aren't free.
What the hell, if we see it in promotion material then it is advertised. And you talking about 30 outfits like it is about quantity. This is a single player game and not a damn GAaS, stop trying to use GaaS logic on non-GaaS games. Single player games have standards.

They ARE usually free. You are just playing bad games that force you to buy them. That is a YOU problem.

Last edited:

Fabieter

What abou gaas games? I bought dozens of leagues of legends skins since i started it 2011. Most of those champs got reworked and i really hate those Champs nowadays. I dont get my fucking money back. Its gaming development for you.

What abou gaas games? I bought dozens of leagues of legends skins since i started it 2011. Most of those champs got reworked and i really hate those Champs nowadays. I dont get my fucking money back. Its gaming development for you.
What about them? GaaS games at their best are still games that could be much better with the gambling aspect removed. So by definition they are worse games than they could have been. You go you if you enjoy lootboxes, but i am not going to defend their practices if people still pay them money.

Single Player games have different rules. Trying to argue that we got given skins for free is laughable.

What the hell, if we see it in promotion material then it is advertised. And you talking about 30 outfits like it is about quantity. This is a single player game and not a damn GAaS, stop trying to use GaaS logic on non-GaaS games. Single player games have standards.

They ARE usually free. You are just playing bad games that force you to buy them. That is a YOU problem.

NOBODY is giving away 60 outfits for free. You can't be serious.

I could post a hundred examples like below, but you get my point, I hope.

y7dd1pV.png

Top Bottom