• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Senhua

overly simplistic gameplay?! What do you expect to do here? Kerbal space program 3 without a guide?!
It's a booba and ass action game with rpg elements.
The polite way to say 'piss easy' without being so direct
Please stop being so hostile to everyone criticizing this game. Are you a stakeholder for SU or SIE?

Last edited:

Three

overly simplistic gameplay?! What do you expect to do here? Kerbal space program 3 without a guide?!
It's a booba and ass action game with rpg elements.
He then goes on to praise the gameplay in the very next paragraph after being let down by it

What a letdown, especially considering that the OST, character design, and gameplay are pretty good.

5ed093e12c1638229d7e23f962fa683d.gif

Maybe he enjoys Sony's "overly simplistic gameplay catering to mainstream"

GymWolf

With these types of games, I am a little disappointed if I don't die at least 50-100 times in a playthrough. As long as the combat is great I don't mind dying a bunch. I enjoy the challenge and I get the maximum value from the padded run time. It just seems like a massive oversight to develop a "Souls" like game that doesn't have a "Souls" like difficulty level
rookie-numbers.gif

I think i died 500++ times in almost all the very hard games i played, it makes exploration and progression and just getting gud much much sweater.

Tbf i'm one of those player that very easily go into a death spiral with bosses if i can't nail them in the first 1-3 tries :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I heard the game get tougher in the second half so i still have hope, like i said, it's not as mindless as other games.

Last edited:

Markio128

I’m quite surprised by the claim that the game is piss easy. I’m usually okay with action games (DMC etc.,), but I’ve died a fair few times in my playthrough - several times on a couple of bosses.

The great desert enemies can be pretty tough in mobs as well. And I need to master the fishing mini-game.

Three

Tbf i'm one of those player that very easily go into a death spiral with bosses if i can't nail them in the first 1-3 tries :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
😄I thought I was the only one, when frustration sets in my gameplay just takes a massive nosedive.

Last edited:

GymWolf

😄I thought I was the only one, when frustration sets in my gameplay just takes a massive nosedive.
I don't think it's a rare thing at all.

Very often it happen that i almost beat an hard boss first try but when i fail than i start dying a lot without making much progress.

It'ss because during the first encounter you are more active\aggressive because you don't know their moveset so if you have good reflexes you can do very good on first try, but after that you try to memorize and start thinking too much about their moveset so your reflexes are slower, or at least this the only explanation i can think of.

Even with stellar blade has been the same, all bosses beaten on first try except one, almost beaten on first try and then i died like a moron 5-6 times before actually beating him.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

The skill tree is quickly full
I am in the wasteland and I have almost everything (outside of the locked node and the 2 trees locked).

Already some reused boss on the second area. But it's not a big AAA so it's understandable.

One thing I have some grips is the gun play.
First the fact that it remove the lock on enemy after using it is annoying.
Also the switch between different ammo is too slow. Not reactive enough. I wish I could change more quickly.
You have to aim and then press down. But there is a dealy when pressing down till the wheel of ammo appear.

But still having a blast with the combat.

I do every side content I see but I am scared it will be too much. Looks like some padding to the game length.

Surprised to get so many outfits already (but can't craft them all for now)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This game reeks of Sony's first-party design template: story-driven cinematic storytelling paired with piss easy difficulty catering to mainstream audiences
That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad if they balance it with good story, writing, and characterization as seen in SIE first-party titles, but unfortunately, that's not the case here.

This game could be much better if they made it more like MGR/Bayonetta/DMC in terms of gameplay difficulty, due to a similar design philosophy.
What a letdown, especially considering that the OST, character design, and gameplay are pretty good.

8/10 maks. The game is excessively easy, even on the normal difficulty setting. It's clearly designed for journalists and mainstream audiences.
I should have known better when I first heard that SIE would publish this game.

Reason for edit: Because A lot of "passionate" defender of this game a bit too active by scouring word by words for every of review of the game in hope to find some mistake.

I’ve died more times than many of those hardcore action games. Certain bosses are quite challenging

Aenima

With these types of games, I am a little disappointed if I don't die at least 50-100 times in a playthrough. As long as the combat is great I don't mind dying a bunch. I enjoy the challenge and I get the maximum value from the padded run time. It just seems like a massive oversight to develop a "Souls" like game that doesn't have a "Souls" like difficulty level
Your mistake is thinking Stellar Blade is a Souls Like game. It isent and it was never suposed to be one. For some reason some ppl got that idea from the demo, and i kept telling them thers nothing Souls Like in Stellar Blade aside from inspiration in some gameplay mechanics. The game was not designed to be punishing, but it still provides challenging encounters from time to time.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Started playing today. Not really feeling the combat just yet. Game looks alright but it reminds me a lot of Gears of War lol

Your mistake is thinking Stellar Blade is a Souls Like game. It isent and it was never suposed to be one. For some reason some ppl got that idea from the demo, and i kept telling them thers nothing Souls Like in Stellar Blade aside from inspiration in some gameplay mechanics. The game was not designed to be punishing, but it still provides challenging encounters from time to time.
I should have said action RPG's, which includes "Souls" likes. I am not referring to loss of loot or respawning enemies when I talk about difficulty. To say that a game with a deep combat isn't designed to be punishing, why? Some players like the challenge, and many gamers are saying it's not very challenging. It's just a missed opportunity

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I should have said action RPG's, which includes "Souls" likes. I am not referring to loss of loot or respawning enemies when I talk about difficulty. To say that a game with a deep combat isn't designed to be punishing, why? Some players like the challenge, and many gamers are saying it's not very challenging. It's just a missed opportunity

How are the bosses not challenging?

Aenima

There's a few but I ain't got anything to fish with.
Adam mentions it but nothing on how or where to can the gear
You only get the fishing rod when you reach the Oasis in the Great Desert area, thers a NPC fishing there and a fishing rod you can grab near him.

I have not played the game. I have heard they are not very challenging. Gymwolf just said he has beaten all of the bosses first time, except for one(thus far). So idk, I'm just going by what reviewers and a couple youtubers are saying

And I died dozens of times. IMO combat is challenging because you can't play on auto mode or spam attacks. Enemies don't get staggered and they counter. In short, you need to learn how to play. Difficulty wise I would put it equal to DMC 3 in hard mode.

Only From Software can make truly challenging AAA games and still sell millions.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree, when I played both demo and finishing it, this game never felt like "Souls-like" but these days any game give even little challenge suddenly its "Souls-like".

SkylineRKR

You can get every fish in Eidos 7 pool next to the clocktower, the various Wasteland waters (between Xion/Wasteland, Plant at the east and the cave north of the tower), and finally Oasis.

I just managed to catch them all. The hardest for me to find were the Football fish and Great White Shark.

Fishing is extremely easy, esp. with the auto controls on. If you can't catch a fish on time it just means you lack the fishing data. Catch what you can, buy the Data from Clyde, do the Bulletin Board fishing quests for even more data and finally the ultimate bait. And I think Clyde sells another data after this. It seems the ultimate bait is infinite? so you can pretty much grind those 2 fishes for items and cash.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
This game reeks of Sony's first-party design template: story-driven cinematic storytelling paired with piss easy difficulty catering to mainstream audiences
That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad if they balance it with good story, writing, and characterization as seen in SIE first-party titles, but unfortunately, that's not the case here.

This game could be much better if they made it more like MGR/Bayonetta/DMC in terms of gameplay difficulty, due to a similar design philosophy.

8/10 maks. The game is excessively easy, even on the normal difficulty setting. It's clearly designed for journalists and mainstream audiences.
I should have known better when I first heard that SIE would publish this game.

Reason for edit: Because A lot of "passionate" defender of this game a bit too active by scouring word by words for every of review of the game in hope to find some mistake.
Make your own challenge! I play on story and still get a thrill when I go through a whole encounter without missing a perfect block and not getting hit at all or pulling off awesome combos.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I agree, when I played both demo and finishing it, this game never felt like "Souls-like" but these days any game give even little challenge suddenly its "Souls-like".
Honestly as someone who has platinumed a lot of fromsoft games but kinda despises them, I don't see the similarities with them. I always thought the same with Jedi fallen order which people called souls like. I guess some people think respawning enemies when you rest or non Regen health make it souls like? To me that's just PS2 style character action stuff lol

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
You can get every fish in Eidos 7 pool next to the clocktower, the various Wasteland waters (between Xion/Wasteland, Plant at the east and the cave north of the tower), and finally Oasis.

I just managed to catch them all. The hardest for me to find were the Football fish and Great White Shark.

Fishing is extremely easy, esp. with the auto controls on. If you can't catch a fish on time it just means you lack the fishing data. Catch what you can, buy the Data from Clyde, do the Bulletin Board fishing quests for even more data and finally the ultimate bait. And I think Clyde sells another data after this. It seems the ultimate bait is infinite? so you can pretty much grind those 2 fishes for items and cash.
Good to know!! Won't waste anything on bait then

Aenima

Lol i just notice that EVE tighs and butt get bigger or smaller depending of the outfit you using. Her breasts also change shape depending of the outfits.
Bikini suit, smaller butt and thinner tighs
Ocean Maid suit, bigger but and thicker tighs

Last edited:
And I died dozens of times. IMO combat is challenging because you can't play on auto mode or spam attacks. Enemies don't get staggered and they counter. In short, you need to learn how to play. Difficulty wise I would put it equal to DMC 3 in hard mode.

Only From Software can make truly challenging AAA games and still sell millions.
The normal difficulty sounds perfectly fine for the vast majority of gamers. It is just too bad they hide the harder difficulty behind beating the game. And there are plenty of challenging games outside From Software games. But I would somewhat agree that From Software is the only studio that can sell millions with only 1 difficulty level, which is hard. But that is not what we are talking about here. The idea you can't cater to casual and hardcore gamers in the action RPG genre is laughable

Last edited:
. It is just too bad they hide the harder difficulty behind beating the game.

I don't understand that either. If hard mode is available at launch, it should be selectable from the start.

I respect that games don't have difficulty settings because it's not easy to adapt the intended gaming experience on each. Games like Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU can only be appreciated on the second-highest difficulty. In lower ones they are lame.

Talking about boss fight music, there's a great variety I love this one.

Danjin44

If Shift Up end making sequel (I hope they do) they need better side characters.....lot of people criticize Eve "bland" personality but I didn't mind her, in context of the story she was fine the way she was but she needed fun character with her.

In Nier Replicant/Gestalt MC himself also didn't have much colourful personality but he had fun character like Emil and Kaine he can banter with.

Also I actually really liked some of the NPC design but their design doesn't match their personality and what they do for living....AT ALL.

For example: Kasim has cool and freaky design but why is he a hair salon? He has no hair or god damn face, he looks someone who works in black marker in Alita or GotS world selling body parts.
2g7f5a82ebxc1.jpg

Another one is Barry, again cool freaky design which looks like psychopath you see in cyberpunk setting but his personality is polite and sells fish.
MKfsPHf.png

Last edited:

tmlDan

The polite way to say 'piss easy' without being so direct
Please stop being so hostile to everyone criticizing this game. Are you a stakeholder for SU or SIE?
I mean, he is right, the game is not piss easy and the last two bosses are extremely difficult for most people.

Danjin44

I mean, he is right, the game is not piss easy and the last two bosses are extremely difficult for most people.
The Raven fight damn tough and super fun fight, in fact I think i like her fight more than Adam fight.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone else noticed she has different animations for her double jump, not sure what triggers the difference though.

bender

What time is it?
I’m quite surprised by the claim that the game is piss easy. I’m usually okay with action games (DMC etc.,), but I’ve died a fair few times in my playthrough - several times on a couple of bosses.

The great desert enemies can be pretty tough in mobs as well. And I need to master the fishing mini-game.

I'd say a lot of the enemies in the Great Desert are more annoying than they are difficult and by that point in the game, I was just trying to get shit done. My impatience caused most of my deaths. I only consider one of the bosses difficult as I died 10+ times easily. I'm also not very good at action games.

30 - 40 hours if try do everything.

I clocked in at 47 hours and was missing a bunch of the collectables. I did farm a bit towards the beginning just to wrap my head around the combat better.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The normal difficulty sounds perfectly fine for the vast majority of gamers. It is just too bad they hide the harder difficulty behind beating the game. And there are plenty of challenging games outside From Software games. But I would somewhat agree that From Software is the only studio that can sell millions with only 1 difficulty level, which is hard. But that is not what we are talking about here. The idea you can't cater to casual and hardcore gamers in the action RPG genre is laughable

I beat Melania on my first try and have died multiple times to bosses in this game on normal

Last edited:

Danjin44

I clocked in at 47 hours and was missing a bunch of the collectables. I did farm a bit towards the beginning just to wrap my head around the combat better.
I actually spend lot of my time on practice room to hang of the parry and dodges and find combo I use against the bosses.....So I also kind of clocked around 50 hours in my first playthrough.

In my opinion they nailed down how the combat feels, there is huge satisfaction when pulling off perfect parry and dodge, both thanks to its visuals cues and sound design.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I actually spend lot of my time on practice room to hang of the parry and dodges and find combo I use against the bosses.....So I also kind of clocked around 5 hours in my first playthrough.

In my opinion they nailed down how the combat feels, there is huge satisfaction when pulling off perfect parry and dodge, both thanks to its visuals cues and sound design.

The combat does feel great and the boss battles are a treat, I just think the game has too much filler in-between those boss battles. I'm sure you can power through the game skipping all that content, but I'm not sure I'd be skilled enough to finish a certain boss without all the upgrades I collected.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I only played demo once not to spoil myself and failed to stalker miserably. Now I just got to him in full game and 1 tried the sucker just barely. Cool fight!
I love how this game looks, sounds and feels. I keep changing costumes and I usually don’t so that in games. Eve is ao very attractive and charming.
Love the world design too.
22 hours and I’ve still not even unlocked the fishing… guess a lot to be done.
I can’t believe this is considered to be a short game. Hell it could’ve been even shorter! If it ends up being 40 hours, it’s another not re playable game. But it is far more focused tha. Recent open world crap

If Shift Up end making sequel (I hope they do) they need better side characters.....lot of people criticize Eve "bland" personality but I didn't mind her, in context of the story she was fine the way she was but she needed fun character with her.

In Nier Replicant/Gestalt MC himself also didn't have much colourful personality but he had fun character like Emil and Kaine he can banter with.

Also I actually really liked some of the NPC design but their design doesn't match their personality and what they do for living....AT ALL.

For example: Kasim has cool and freaky design but why is he a hair salon? He has no hair or god damn face, he looks someone who works in black marker in Alita or GotS world selling body parts.
2g7f5a82ebxc1.jpg

Another one is Barry, again cool freaky design which looks like psychopath you see in cyberpunk setting but his personality is polite and sells fish.
MKfsPHf.png
Agreed. The designs are awesome but why is he a barber lol… without a scissors at that.
They are supposed to be humans in post apocalypse so far gone that humans who escaped to space long time ago are believed to be angels. I love that concept.
But the why the heck are the people essentially robots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

kevm3

I think the game has a good balance of difficulty. Every game can't be a souls title and some of the last bosses can get every bit as difficult as a souls. If you've been playing bloodborne, sekiro, and the souls game, then of course the game might seem 'too easy' for you because you've been playing some of the more difficult games out there for a long time. We also have to remember there are less skilled gamers out there and making every boss encounter nonstop frustration would completely turn them off.

Top Bottom