• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Aenima

Eve's model wearing the bunny suit. 👀

GOB8svebcAAuGEZ

GOB8svdbgAAcg4K

Source (you'll need a Twitter account to see the post)
The correct version of that suit.

Kupfer

Got my platin trophy yesterday. What a game, my GOTY 2024.
  • no bullshit
  • pure & fun gameplay
  • great cinematics
  • awesome characterdesigns - some bosses in particular
  • stunning setpieces
  • sophisticated leveldesign - much to discover
  • fantastic soundtrack
  • best bossfights since GoW3 (for me - I'm not into souls games)
감사합니다 Shift Up

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I’m towards the end that’s all and if photo mode is coming I’ll hold off while I can still travel to other locations rather than start the game again for photo mode.

Markio128

Gold Member
It must have taken me 30+ attempts to beat Raven. That fight was souls boss level. Any other game and I’d have given up, but I do have a massive soft spot for this game. It’s very rare that I’m up for a NG+, but I am with this one.

DelireMan7

It must have taken me 30+ attempts to beat Raven. That fight was souls boss level. Any other game and I’d have given up, but I do have a massive soft spot for this game. It’s very rare that I’m up for a NG+, but I am with this one.
Agreed on Raven, probably my favorite fight of the game. It made me wish that the game had more humanoïd boss fight "duel" like.

Markio128

Gold Member
Agreed on Raven, probably my favorite fight of the game. It made me wish that the game had more humanoïd boss fight "duel" like.
Yeah, hopefully there are a lot more similar fights in a sequel.

Even though I found the fight really difficult (until I’d figured out the timing of her attacks to a competent level), it was a fun fight, which is what kept me plugging away. It also gave me a real appreciation of the combat system because I had to use every trick in the book to beat her.

It’s pretty amazing what Shift Up have managed to achieve with their first console game. SB is definitely in my top 3 games on PS5.

Yeah, the soundtrack really elevates the game from like 8/10 to 9/10 in my book.

Same for me, good soundtrack significantly boost the game's quality.

Got my platin trophy yesterday. What a game, my GOTY 2024.
  • no bullshit
  • pure & fun gameplay
  • great cinematics
  • awesome characterdesigns - some bosses in particular
  • stunning setpieces
  • sophisticated leveldesign - much to discover
  • fantastic soundtrack
  • best bossfights since GoW3 (for me - I'm not into souls games)
감사합니다 Shift Up

Kudos to the team, they've literally outdone themselves with their first AAA single player. They deserves the appreciation.
Even exploring is fun in this game just as fun as doing side missions. This kind of feeling last I had with Elden Ring.

No info about the patch? Its almost the end of the week

Yes, even I'm curious. They might release on Saturday, lol.

Madflavor

Latest Famitsu report saying Stellar Blade sold another 10k copies, which is a -16% drop from last time. Game has powerful fucking legs over there.

Markio128

Gold Member
Christ, that last boss was just as tough as the previous one, but I’ve finally beat the game. I’m so ready for NG+ and the new patch once it drops. I haven’t played a game as fun as this in a long time.

xrnzaaas

Sony wants your money, but they won't publicly admit to allowing to de-censor the game. The journos & twitter folks may have moved down to other things, but they can always come back and start complaining again.

Boys, finally got this 3 days ago and...i don't know

I absolutely loved the demo and i actually stanned for this game but, upon getting it, everything feels so...don't know how to put it '- does "stale" make any sense ?
Enter new area, spam the scan button, try to get all the items due to Goddamn gaming OCD, fight a couple of enemies, boss-time - it feels like i'm just going through the motions and the fact that the game is super-easy (just reached Xion) doesn't make things better, there's absolutely ZERO challenge so far to the extent that i feel like i'm speedrunning the G'damn game.
I've sat down 3-4 times with the game and each time i turn it off not because i'm tired or 'cause i got pissed due to the difficulty but out of pure sheer boredom.

Maybe i just got used to masochistic difficulties in my action games but this feels way too accessible and easy.

Also : there's many low-res textures and low-poly objects/geometry - i expected better to be honest.

Going to keep playing obviously but so far it hasn't grabbed me and i don't get it, i mean, i did love the demo so...

Markio128

Gold Member
Boys, finally got this 3 days ago and...i don't know

I absolutely loved the demo and i actually stanned for this game but, upon getting it, everything feels so...don't know how to put it '- does "stale" make any sense ?
Enter new area, spam the scan button, try to get all the items due to Goddamn gaming OCD, fight a couple of enemies, boss-time - it feels like i'm just going through the motions and the fact that the game is super-easy (just reached Xion) doesn't make things better, there's absolutely ZERO challenge so far to the extent that i feel like i'm speedrunning the G'damn game.
I've sat down 3-4 times with the game and each time i turn it off not because i'm tired or 'cause i got pissed due to the difficulty but out of pure sheer boredom.

Maybe i just got used to masochistic difficulties in my action games but this feels way too accessible and easy.

Also : there's many low-res textures and low-poly objects/geometry - i expected better to be honest.

Going to keep playing obviously but so far it hasn't grabbed me and i don't get it, i mean, i did love the demo so...
The difficulty does ramp up significantly so stick with it. Also, there is a hard mode for NG+. And if you go off the beaten track there are some challenging encounters to find. It started getting challenging for me once the first open area was available, then steadily got tougher.

The difficulty does ramp up significantly so stick with it. Also, there is a hard mode for NG+. And if you go off the beaten track there are some challenging encounters to find. It started getting challenging for me once the first open area was available, then steadily got tougher.

Thanks Markio, 'ppreciate it brother ;)
Just to make you understand, i stopped using the combo+ and hit attack power mods/exospines(?) as to make things somewhat harder...

Hope it ramps up in difficulty as you say 'cause otherwise it's gonna be a bore fest.

Also : Did they change something with blink and down+O counters ? I swear, i can't pull them off as easily/consistently as i did in the demo and yes, i've upgraded them via skills menu both, it's like...the input (especially the down+O) doesn't register properly - i noticed that it actually doesn't in the training area, enemy blinks Pink, sword blinks pink, i input Down + O, shown command on the right of the screen shows just "O"

Markio128

Gold Member
Thanks Markio, 'ppreciate it brother ;)
Just to make you understand, i stopped using the combo+ and hit attack power mods/exospines(?) as to make things somewhat harder...

Hope it ramps up in difficulty as you say 'cause otherwise it's gonna be a bore fest.

Also : Did they change something with blink and down+O counters ? I swear, i can't pull them off as easily/consistently as i did in the demo and yes, i've upgraded them via skills menu both, it's like...the input (especially the down+O) doesn't register properly - i noticed that it actually doesn't in the training area, enemy blinks Pink, sword blinks pink, i input Down + O, shown command on the right of the screen shows just "O"
I’m not sure how to help with the counters, they generally worked for me, at least after a lot of practice. It’s worth mentioning that there are also specific exospines that can improve counters, etc., and not just the upgrade trees.

And trust me, there is nothing boring about some of the later bosses, and even some of the later enemies in general. They can kick arse if you’re not on your A game.

DelireMan7

From my experience (I was really confused at the beginning because I couldn't do these special dodge.), you have to first move the stick and then press O. At first I tried Up/Down + O at the same time and it never works. Then realize that I just need to first input (and hold) the direction and then press O.

On difficulty, it depends on how you play. If you enjoy styling on your opponent there is plenty thing to enjoy. If you play "optimally" and want to kill your enemy as quick as possible it can be quickly easy and boring I would say.
Toward the end, there is definitely a welcome difficulty spike, especially on bosses. But it comes quite late in my opinion.

Some sidequest will lead to rather though boss fights (just harder version you already have beaten unfortunately). But it's double edge sword because a lot of sidequests are boring (as a general rule, avoid board sidequest and give priority to NPCs' sidequest which tend to be more interesting story/lore wise and I think it's some of these quests that lead to harder boss)

Last edited:

Filben

You can try making it artificially more difficult by not using these Exo upgrades/slots. You can also remove Eve's outfit; she will look almost naked, but more so it removes any Shield, increasing damage taken tremendously.

I'm not as surprised as Genki since SIE have always given great support to their 2nd party devs, but it's good stuff that's worth highlighting nonetheless.

You have to sit through those credits for the True Ending and so you'll be able to see that the Shift Up part of the credits is very short and then the Sony part starts and it's almost like a first party title

XDEV did a lot of work to help mobile game developer and first time console developer Shift Up, there's a reason why Sony gets so many 2nd and 3rd party bangers onto PS. They put in the work in terms of supporting studios, there's not a lot of firewall between 1st party and 2nd/3rd party when it comes to Sony

Top Bottom