• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade will have 3 graphics modes - Performance, Resolution and Balanced Modes

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Angry Oh Hell No GIF by South Park
27GFfX.gif

CamHostage

Yes it would. They’d just have to dumb the game down, cut the resolution in half, reduce the amount of enemies, reduce draw distance, and pay even less attention to fidelity.

Sacrifice.

And that’s how it is today too. 60fps requires sacrifice. Everything has to be sacrificed for framerate

That’s why I fucking hate it.

The old Souls engine is notoriously inflexible (supposedly for some reasons which may or may not be good in how they render animation, but even when Dark Souls 1 was ported to PC, it was locked to 30FPS/720p despite the mods and also the meager Switch version ultimately running better than the original console versions.) They figured out how to get it to be happy at 60FPS later in the Dark Souls 2 port, but never really had it rock-solid. (Elden Ring still has a lot of issues and that's 2 console gens and 8 different variants of the tech tree.)

Bloodborne could have had an uncapped framerate and done some things better on standard PS4, but it would have been unreliable and ultimately worse. PS4 Pro however could have used an uncapped framerate setting (which weirdly wasn't considered for a 1st-Party game even though Pro only came out a year later) to hit 60 fairly confidently.

(BTW, I don't know any game that reduces its 'enemies' anymore in switching settings, I don't think that's much of a thing anymore? It used to be that ports of games, even racing games with purposeful lap time structures, would have different enemy quantities on screen, but that's not been a trick I've seen in any game I can think of separating 30 and 60 FPS mode, and although I guess you could say that if they're shooting for 60 then the character count would be locked to that max, there aren't "remastered" or "PC-enhanced" version of games which change the enemy count. Realistically, enemy count doesn't seem to affect most game performance as is. That used to be a challenge for old consoles to track more than five characters at a time, so you and 3-4 enemies and that you could tell slowdown was coming on because a game "starts getting too busy". These days, though, enemy pathing follows shared routines and even NPCs can be tossed into a scene without killing the machine. Enemy count limitations are likely for play balance rather than performance concerns.)

Back to the game at hand, nothing about Stellar Blade appears to be designed with concerns of graphics performance from what I've seen so far; looking at its combat system shows why it is designed the way it is and how many enemies would be in the player's space at a time.

Last edited:
60fps for me. I can't play games at 30 anymore, unless I have no choice, like Bloodborne. As to the presumably 40fps mode, I've tried 40fps modes and 40fps unlocked modes and still prefer 60fps. 1440p and 4k are basically indistinguishable to me from my couch, so I always choose higher framerates.

Last edited:

Fbh

60fps for me. I can't play games at 30 anymore, unless I have no choice, like Bloodborne. As to the presumably 40fps mode, I've tried 40fps modes and 40fps unlocked modes and still prefer 60fps. 1440p and 4k are basically indistinguishable to me from my couch, so I always choose higher framerates.

Depends on the game.
There's some like Plague Tale where I did go with 40fps because they butcher the foliage and remove cool details from the environment in the 60fps mode.
But in games where it's like the same but at 1440p or even 1080p I usually go with 60fps.

Depends on the game.
There's some like Plague Tale where I did go with 40fps because they butcher the foliage and remove cool details from the environment in the 60fps mode.
But in games where it's like the same but at 1440p or even 1080p I usually go with 60fps.
That's fair. I personally can live with things like reduced foliage detail or less accurate shadows and reflections. To each their own. I just hope having quality/balanced/performance options becomes and remains standard on consoles.

Top Bottom