• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop the Fomo... Please! (Xbox one X theory )

Xenon

I stumbled upon this guy when looking at reviews for HD TVs. This ended up showing in my feed and is proof that a little knowledge is dangerous and hilarious.

ManaByte

I stumbled upon this guy when looking at reviews for HD TVs. This ended up showing in my feed and is proof that a little knowledge is dangerous and hilarious.

Dude made a 22 minute video for a theory when the real reason is that MS discontinues the old console when a new one hits the market.

The launch Xbox One was discontinued when the Xbox One S came out.

The Xbox One X is being discontinued due to the Series X. The One S will be discontinued when Lockhart is official.

Shantae

Banned
Dude made a 22 minute video for a theory when the real reason is that MS discontinues the old console when a new one hits the market.

The Xbox One X is being discontinued due to the Series X. The One S will be discontinued when Lockhart is official.
I still think the natural progression of discontinuations should have been Xbox One S going first, while keeping the One X around as a good entry point into game pass, while giving people a great machine still. The One S is a waste of time at this point. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone compared to the One X.

I still think the natural progression of discontinuations should have been Xbox One S going first, while keeping the One X around as a good entry point into game pass, while giving people a great machine still. The One S is a waste of time at this point. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone compared to the One X.
Yep. One S is fucking useless.

I'd buy a 5 year old a One X. I'd buy my dog a One S as a fetch toy.

Allandor

Well, no. The Xbox one s can be produced sub 100€. For the one x the cooling is already to expensive to reduce the price to far. Also there is no reason to produce the one x if you have a new console in production that is in its pricing range.
the one s on the other hand will still have a live like the x360 had. Sold as cheap entry level console.

Shantae

Banned
It's still selling fairly well (Especially during the covid thing).

It made far more sense to end the one that cost more to make and sold less (One X).
It can still sell well, but people are stupid lol. Why else do so many shit game sell well, and great games sell not enough? People are stupid.

I figured they would phase out the S, and have the X take it's place when prices go down. Not snuff it out completely. Like the iPhone method...new models come out, they phase out the older ones.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel like anyone with a fractional bit of knowledge of Xbox stuff, should be able to understand that there's likely a Series S coming, and One X would get in the way of that.

It is funny how people were so upset about this. In other surprising news the original Xbox and 360 were also discontinued.

The XOX cost more to manufacture and the Series S will easily fill the void left by the XOX.

Codes 208

It's still selling fairly well (Especially during the covid thing).

It made far more sense to end the one that cost more to make and sold less (One X).
Pretty much this. The One X wasn’t meant to be the next iteration of xbox one but rather just a enthusiast’s alternative to the one s. By in large, the basic one outsold the x significantly and even before the pandemic it was getting to the point where it seemed they stopped trying with the x.

Abear21

Banned
The One X gets in the way of the Series X. It’s a very capable 4K machine and with Gamepass attached some consumers would baby step to a One X instead of Series X, now they don’t have the choice. On the other hand wouldn’t you rather spend another hundred or two and have a much better console?

Abear21

Banned
The X is being discontinued because of how close it is in power to the XSS.

Man if the Series X sells out or the gains for Halo on the Series X are mostly resolution and Ray tracing (some don’t have 4K or don’t care about RT, they just want to play the games) it might be wise to scoop a One X now while you still can. I’m considering this instead of getting a Series X as I’m only PS4 atm. I’m going to want to play Halo among others so I’m heavily considering this. Again though, if supplies are plentiful and price is close enough (less than $200 diff) just paying more for the Series X makes sense I guess. All console prices are out of control atm anyway.

Rikkori

He is mostly clueless in general & goes hard on the click-bait. His good videos are when he is directly evaluating TVs with real content. The rest? Trash.

This. Unless you get a S for like $150 I just can't recommend it. Even then you can sometimes find Xs around the $200 mark refurbished.

Bolivar687

Banned
I am at the point in the metaphor where he is persuading the tenants of the luxury apartment to move to the property adjoining a nuclear waste site and I'm kinda mad at the OP.

Xenon

I think he missed the most important thing that the X did for Microsoft. It kept the brand relevant and in the discussion with gaming media thanks to being the performance leader. With the series X coming that role is no longer necessary and they'd prefer the lower entry point have an updated processor. Also as others have said it's just being discontinued to make way for the newer model.

MrFunSocks

Banned
But the One S is their entry level previous gen console, why would they discontinue it? Previous gen consoles don't just stop selling straight away when a new gen starts. The One X is too expensive to keep around compared to the S, when the Series X will likely be not that much more expensive than the X.

Xbone x is a fantastic machine with terrific build quality.
Not only it can play current gen games at or near 4k, but it can do that for enhanced games of the previous generation xboxes.
For example, ninja gaiden 2 on X is one of the best gameplay experiences even today. Then you got all previous halos, gears, red dead redemption, hell even stuff like crackdown and banjo nuts & bolts and assasins creed 1 and ff xiii, and even og stuff like crimson skies, ninja gaiden black, knights of the old republic and panzer dragoon orta playing at a fantastic image quality.

But
Xbox x is not the main dish today. It was back at 2017 yes, but today is like the appetizer you alread had for series x, because all of the above are not only preserved, but declared to be coming with extra punches like machine learning hdr and double framerates.
Also, xbox x is not the machine that can play anything current (and older) at 4k/60 like he says.
That would be series x

So, while I kinda understand what this youtube guy is talking about, I think he doesnt have his record straight, just about how he has his tie.

Top Bottom