• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter II: Animated Movie Chun-Li vs Vega, best game to movie scene ever?

Maligna

Banned
latest

I watched this movie many years ago when it was first released in North America on VHS. I was big into Street Fighter at the time, among other games. Having seen several game to movie adaptations over the years and being disappointed, I didn't have high hopes for this movie. But to my surprise it was excellent. It seemed to take what I played on my console and put it directly onto film. In fact, I think going forward a lot of Street Fighter game canon was directly inspired by this film. Street Fighter Alpha seemed to borrow heavily from it at least.

725180.jpg

FIGHT SCENE LINK
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2y0wju_street-fighter-ii-chung-li-vs-vega_shortfilms

What really stood out though was the fight scene between Chun and Vega. In the games Vega was always so scary to fight as a kid. Jumping off walls and slashing you with his claw. That impression I had of Vega as a bad ass really amped up the tension in this fight. Not to mention the fact that at the beginning Chun's losing pretty bad. When she turns it around and finally takes Vega out in such a bad ass way, it's a real fist bump moment. The KMFDM song "Ultra" in the background underscores the intensity of this fight so well. This is probably the one instance in anime where I always choose to watch the English version over the Japanese.

Is there anyone out there on GAF who's never seen this fight before? I'd be surprised if there was.

EDIT: Original youtube link was taken down. Put a dailymotion one up instead. Not as good quality but better than nothing.

Hmmm...it was great, but I personally like the flashback scenes of Ken vs. Ryu the best, the intro always comes to mind, and Ryu vs. Fei Long was pretty awesome.

chinoXL

This movie is my sh!t. All the fight scenes are good but that ryu ken and m bison was crazy. I'm gonna dig this up and watch it again. Thanks OP!

real talk, I almost never used the hurricane kick in SF2 before this movie as I always found jump in -> sweep to be more versatile.

That scene made me a beleiver.

They were short and straight to the point, Ken doing shoryu to T.Hawk, Ryu vs Brainwashed Ken and the final fight with bison was straight awesome. The movie is goat.

I love this movie. My favorite parts are Ryu at the start when his power level is going over 9000 and when Ryu demolishes Fei Long.

I'm going to re watch this movie now. Thanks lol

RaidenXZ

I've actually never seen this movie but only ever heard of it (guess since I was born in the early 90s and never tracked it down). Anyone have a good way to watch it today? :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They were short and straight to the point, Ken doing shoryu to T.Hawk, Ryu vs Brainwashed Ken and the final fight with bison was straight awesome. The movie is goat.

The intent was to make the special moves seem like normal martial arts moves you would see in real life. Exaggerated, but raw. The fight scenes were choreographed by K-1 founder Kazuyoshi Ishii and professional fighter Andy Hug.

Ronin

I like how they modified the moves to be more realistic. Chun-Li using her hands to spin and Ryu's hurricane kick.

That soundtrack is awful compared to the original in my opinion, but it really is such an amazing fight. That whole movie if full of great moments, and Chun Li vs Vega is one of the best ones.

Didn't know it was this good. Will give it a watch.

Are the other anime SF movies any good?

The SF anime series is pretty good takes a lot of liberties but ryu actually wears jeans and sneakers! And SF generations the ryu vs akuma fight is pretty good! Watch the SF movie with subs the soundtrack is just better.

Also watch the fatal fury movies they're great but forgotten! It's on YouTube

Simo

Yeah the scene is great. Like you said "Ultra" by KMFDM fit the scene so well.

Loved the movie. I remember in the UK reading issues of EGM in the early 90s that talked about or had some updates on the animated movie but never really saw it on sale or around.

It wasn't until a UK cable station called Bravo went through a re-invention in like 1994 or 1995 and began showing Troma movies and anime at midnights and one of the first anime movies was Street Fighter II uncut and unedited. I stayed up watching it and from that shot in the beginning to the end I was hooked and fortunately Bravo repeated the film a few times over the week so I could record it on VHS and then would invite my friends over to watch it.

I didn't even know about the Japanese version with an original score until like 10 years later but I have to say, the US version is superior.

This shot though...blew my mind at the time when you start seeing the little bits of electricity sparking off and then..
tumblr_n7l88tAird1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

It's funny I actually popped in the "Uncut" NA DVD I bought a few years ago over the weekend due to the excitement for SFV and...damn the DVD transfer looks like shit. lol Is there a blu-ray available with a good transfer in the US?

That soundtrack is awful compared to the original in my opinion, but it really is such an amazing fight. That whole movie if full of great moments, and Chun Li vs Vega is one of the best ones.

Boo. The original soundtrack is so limp and lifeless, it's like a french fry that you cooked in the oven instead of deep frying because you were trying to eat healthier. But then again I was in middle school and listened to Korn and Alice in Chains on the radio when I first saw this movie, so of course I would think that.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno about the best but it was pretty damn great. Loved this fight and the movie. I'll never forget showing it to my friends back when it first came out and they were completely blown away.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Guile was so hilariously useless in the movie, I love it. Am I missing anything?

-Blocks a kick from Deejay
-Kicks down Chun-li's door
-Sonic booms a shack
-Gets paralyzed by psychopower

He causes traffic accidents on his way to rescue Chun Li. And he gets spanked by Chun earlier.

Maligna

Banned
Not even the best scene in the movie.

Ryu vs Fei long.
https://youtu.be/9IGBVXLfmm8

or Better yet, Ryu and Ken vs Bison
https://youtu.be/I056MPrakoQ

Hmmm...it was great, but I personally like the flashback scenes of Ken vs. Ryu the best, the intro always comes to mind, and Ryu vs. Fei Long was pretty awesome.

I love this movie. My favorite parts are Ryu at the start when his power level is going over 9000 and when Ryu demolishes Fei Long.

I'm going to re watch this movie now. Thanks lol

Fei Long vs Ryu is great

Did you all know that Fei Long was voiced by Bryan Cranston?
Walter_White2.jpg

Didn't know it was this good. Will give it a watch.

Are the other anime SF movies any good?

Not really, no. Not when compared to this.

Top Bottom