• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 2 iz fantastic!

CO_Andy

Recently, i introduced a friend to play Streets of Rage 2, and now he's hooked on the game! It's amazing how well this ancient game holds up today... lots of fun to be had in co-op.

After a few days, we tried the first Streets of Rage. It's not quite as good as i remember it (it's horribly repetitive and excruciatingly long for a beat-em-up).

Any other recommendations in the genre (that are as good as SoR2)? I would like to play Final Fight, but that's only 1-player (and no, we don't hav two GBAs).

Something worth mentioning: there's a Yuzo Koshiro interview in the latest issue of PLAY.

Rlan

Fucking loved SOR2 and SOR3. Needs a sequel NOW. Even a DS / PSP compilation will suffice.

Although it probably got a bit TOO weird at the end there, what with Zed, Robo Mr. X, and those robots with chain-n-ball arms.

Did Spikeout incorporate a 'grab' move for Teamwork?

Anyanka

Streets of Rage 3 is really underrated. It's got a lot of new moves, like rolling and running.

Final Fight 2 and 3 are two player and are pretty good. There's the TMNT games for SNES and Hyperstone Hiest for Genesis. Capcom had some good beat em ups like Punisher for Genesis and Knights of the Round for SNES.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOO
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOO
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOO
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOO dugga dugga

swordsman

Banned
You guys/gals have to play the Japanese version of the games.>>
Yes in Street of rage 2 (bare knuckles 2) is there a guy whos dressed as a lady.
Part 3 is olso cool.

No censor!! proof Final fight (Super Nintendo) US version >>No ladies enemies.
Jpn -Yes

mosaic

go eat paint
Capcom Classics Collection, coming out for PS2/Xbox later this year, will have a 2P Final Fight in it. Woot!

(Final Fight CD on the Sega CD was awesome)

Sho Nuff said:
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOO
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOO
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOO
Doop a doop a doooooooo
DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOO dugga dugga
That's what I came in here for.

Best first stage music ever!

Anyanka said:
Streets of Rage 3 is really underrated. It's got a lot of new moves, like rolling and running.
Underrated or not, I like SoR3 more and specifically for those reasons. I always felt lmited when I returned to SoR2.

Ronin

SOR3 also had an interesting story...for a beat 'em up. The branching paths were cool too. Kicking Shiva's ass on national television was awesome.

Ronin said:
Kicking Shiva's ass on national television was awesome.
I'm quite positive that was SoR2. In 3, X was a damn robot brain jar thing.

But then, I rarely choose that other route so....

And while we're on it, the Hoover style rooftop jetpack boss from 3 was a life stealing piece of shit.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Streets of Rage 2 rocked, best beat 'em up ever.

Streets of Rage 3 was good, but something was missing. Probably Max. I didn't care much for the ARR-AH electric dude.

Ronin

ArcadeStickMonk said:
I'm quite positive that was SoR2.
Nah, it was in 3.

Spoiler?

When you take the other path you end up at the Mayor's office (I think, it's been years) and he's about to give a press conference on television. Turns out it's not really the Mayor, but it's Shiva. So you fight him with all the television cameras on and when you finish him you get the slow motion death all the camera flashes going off.
:lol

belgurdo

Banned
Ronin said:
Nah, it was in 3.

Spoiler?

When you take the other path you end up at the Mayor's office (I think, it's been years) and he's about to give a press conference on television. Turns out it's not really the Mayor, but it's Shiva. So you fight him with all the television cameras on and when you finish him you get the slow motion death all the camera flashes going off.
:lol

This stage is even better in the Japanese version because it's the
White House and it's the president he's impersonating

The true final stage (with the brain) is a bitch in the US version though. I don't think I've even beaten that on one credit or with more than 10 seconds on the clock

nitewulf

SoR2 is definitely my favorite, and one of the best BEUs ever. since you are looking for recommendations, i'd suggest staying away from Final Fight games and checking out Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Alien Vs. Predator.

Xenon

SOR2 was the besting the series. It was such a huge leap from the first. SOR3 was good but was more like SOR2.5

Pick up a Saturn and Gurdian Heroes if you want to go to the next level of beat'em ups.

I enjoy the music in SOR 1 much more, but SOR 2 crushes it in every other way (though I do miss being able to call your buddies in the squad car.) SOR 3 I thought was a cruel joke on humanity, especially that god awful music.

eshwaaz

Spectral Glider said:
I enjoy the music in SOR 1 much more, but SOR 2 crushes it in every other way (though I do miss being able to call your buddies in the squad car.) SOR 3 I thought was a cruel joke on humanity, especially that god awful music.

I totally agree. SoR 2 was the best in the series, but I just didn't enjoy the music nearly as much as in SoR 1. That soundtrack is more or less burned into my brain; at one point I had transferred it to cassette so I could listen to it in my car.

I don't remember SoR 3 very well, but I do recall that I absolutely loathed the music - it was a big part of why I just couldn't get into the game.

En-ou

that spinning claw guy in sof2 pissed the hell out of me. i remember using max and get him a back grab when he appears :lol

Finaika

I liked SoR1's music the most, but SoR2's boss music is damn good. Bare Knuckle 3 (thankfully I didn't play the US version) has the best gameplay, but the music, characters and atmosphere sucks compared to the previous 2.

If I rank them I would say SOR2>SOR1>SOR3

They're all classics though.

CO_Andy

SoR1 > SoR3? That's just crazy.

Not only are the stages long in SoR1, but the enemies for the most part present zero-challenge, that iz until you reach the bosses, but even then you can blast them with your special.

Sega, WHY?!

box.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
eshwaaz said:
I totally agree. SoR 2 was the best in the series, but I just didn't enjoy the music nearly as much as in SoR 1. That soundtrack is more or less burned into my brain; at one point I had transferred it to cassette so I could listen to it in my car.

I don't remember SoR 3 very well, but I do recall that I absolutely loathed the music - it was a big part of why I just couldn't get into the game.

SOR3 has better gameplay than 2, but 2 has better visuals, music, and setting. SOR1 is a fun diversion, but you can clearly see that the forumla was improved in its sequels (damn shame you couldn't use the E-SWAT cruiser in the sequels, though)

SOR2 does rock, but like many beat-em-ups, it goes out of steam fairly quickly, repeating the same enemies over and over again.

Here are some other beat-em-ups I enjoy:

Ninja Warriors Again - SNES (awesome, but only 1-player... why?)
Comix Zone - Genesis (original... but so short)
Dungeon & Dragons games by Capcom (arcade, but playable on Kawak and MAME emu)
The Punisher by Capcom (same here)
Golden Axe 1 & 2 arcade (some emus can play them)
Zombie Revenge (only next-gen beat-em-up that is fairly fun; never tried Spike Out though)

D-X

swordsman said:
You guys/gals have to play the Japanese version of the games.>>
Yes in Street of rage 2 (bare knuckles 2) is there a guy whos dressed as a lady.
Part 3 is olso cool.

ash9dh.gif

Ranger X

Late to the party!!
It was about time you play the best brawlers in gaming history. ;)
SOR2 and SOR3 also bears some of the best Genesis soundtracks. I still listen to it even today.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
D-X said:

That was actually Bare Knuckle 3, not 2. :) I think the reason many people like SOR2 over SOR3 is the soundtrack. SOR3 has better game play, but Yuzo Koshiro went tone deaf and the soundtrack just plain SUCKED, especially when SOR1 and 2 had such good music for Genesis games.

I got Bare Knuckle III a couple of years ago but haven't messed with it as much as I should. What are all the changes? I know they changed the character outfit colors, the female baddies are less dressed in the Japanese version, different voices, and then of course there's Ash, but is there anything else?

Capcom's console BEU efforts kind of suck, IMO. The games were always better in arcades. Even D&D Collection suffered from horrid load times. Final Fight 2 and 3 are okay games, but the first remains the only good game in the series IMO.

I personally consider Yuzo Koshiro's Beyond Oasis (Story of Thor) and its Saturn sequel as a good beat-em-up, even though it pretends to be an action RPG (you kick ass 98% of the tíme). :lol

Ranger X

Lyte Edge said:
SOR3 has better game play, but Yuzo Koshiro went tone deaf and the soundtrack just plain SUCKED, especially when SOR1 and 2 had such good music for Genesis games.

Well, the soundtrack of SOR3 went beyond what mainstream people can listen, it's not really because the soundtrack is bad imo. SOR3 soundtrack was more creative and more complex musically than SOR2. With this kind of musical attempt, it always end up in a "you dig or you don't" product.

Porridge

I cherish those Streets of Rage games. I even liked the game gear version...

I just hope that if SoR's ever resurrected, that it doesn't go into the cliched hip hop direction like Final Fight

belgurdo

Banned
Porridge said:
I cherish those Streets of Rage games. I even liked the game gear version...

I just hope that if SoR's ever resurrected, that it doesn't go into the cliched hip hop direction like Final Fight

...it should go back into the cliched 80s PUNK RAWK direction instead?

Ranger X

belgurdo said:
...it should go back into the cliched 80s PUNK RAWK direction instead?

At least Punks shared a vision...
I wouldn't like old trends to come back but don't tell me that the "gangsta" or hip-hop style (that they even call culture LOL) is better in any way.

aoi tsuki

Wyzdom said:
At least Punks shared a vision...
I wouldn't like old trends to come back but don't tell me that the "gangsta" or hip-hop style (that they even call culture LOL) is better in any way.
Big can of worms ya got there...

Frankly, i like the mix of music in the first two Streets, especially the first which gave the game a grittier feel than the second. Every stage had a distinct sound and feel, from the awesome guitar intro in the second stage, the mellow yet seedy fifth stage music, or the adrenaline-pumping beats of the second part of the seventh stage (SoR2). Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack was deeper dive into the world of harder and more experimental electronic music.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wyzdom said:
Well, the soundtrack of SOR3 went beyond what mainstream people can listen, it's not really because the soundtrack is bad imo. SOR3 soundtrack was more creative and more complex musically than SOR2. With this kind of musical attempt, it always end up in a "you dig or you don't" product.

Nah, there's nothing "deep and more complex" about it. It's just crap. :D

Glad to see someone enjoying SOR2 even if it's damn near 15 years after the fact. One of the things I liked best about the game was the varying types of enemies when mixed together, was fun as hell to dispatch (crowd clearing techniques!). Pacing and music enhancing the game was also unbelievable, to this day. I practically have the SOR4 template already written out, and after Ninja Gaiden, I think a 3D version can be great if done right. All about smart AI and extreme cause and effect mixed with the most audacious bass thumping house/techno Yuzo can come up with.

Far as great beat'em ups go, you cannot forget about Guardian Heroes. It's worth firing up the ol' Saturn just to play that game. Only problem is if you came late to the party, you're not going to find it for cheap like SOR2.

D-X

aoi tsuki said:
Big can of worms ya got there...

Frankly, i like the mix of music in the first two Streets, especially the first which gave the game a grittier feel than the second. Every stage had a distinct sound and feel, from the awesome guitar intro in the second stage, the mellow yet seedy fifth stage music, or the adrenaline-pumping beats of the second part of the seventh stage (SoR2). Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack was deeper dive into the world of harder and more experimental electronic music.

"Yuzo Koshiro describes his music in Streets of Rage 1 as "house music", his music in Streets of Rage 2 as "hard-core techno" the music in Streets of Rage 3 was developed using an "Automated Composing System" which created "fast-beat techno like jungle"."

I would like to play Final Fight, but that's only 1-player...

I would shed a tear for the Nintendo generation, but I'm having too much fun grinding them under my heel. :p

Lyte: One thing I have to give Final Fight is that as the series progressed the new characters introduced were not as fawful as the ones Sega was cramming into SoR series. Carlos the Ninja + Maki > rollerblade kid and wrestling wanker

I just hope Capcom doesn't censor the PS2 version of Final Fight.

NO POISON, NO SALE! >:|

Top Bottom