• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 2 iz fantastic!

Instigator said:
Now SOR3, I think it is hurt because it is not that much of an improvement over SOR2
I think you're high.

Having just replayed SOR2 after picking up a cart, I must say that I miss the running, rolling, and super bar immensly.

SOR3 plays better, looks better, and sounds better.
Yeah, I said it: sounds better. SOR2 has a better soundtrack, no arguement there, but the actual sound effects are often cartoony noises (for jumps and time outs and such) that just sound out of place. SOR3 has much better sound effects overall, and you can actually understand the voice samples.

I firmly beleive that the only reason SOR2 is so popular is because of it's soundtrack (which i adore too) and that the market was simply nicer to it when it released. We all have fond nostalgic memories of playing SOR2 with a friend, that first level music starting just before the fade from black... but side by side with SOR3 the second game is clearly lacking.

The evolutions to three were all for the better, and that's why it gets my vote for the best brawler whatevawas.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Yeah, I said it: sounds better. SOR2 has a better soundtrack, no arguement there, but the actual sound effects are often cartoony noises (for jumps and time outs and such) that just sound out of place. SOR3 has much better sound effects overall, and you can actually understand the voice samples.

Let me quote you and say that "I think you're high." :) SOR2 sounds much better than SOR3; the music makes the entire experience. SOR3's music SUCKED.

I firmly beleive that the only reason SOR2 is so popular is because of it's soundtrack (which i adore too) and that the market was simply nicer to it when it released.

Certainly; in 1992, BEU games were much more popular than they were by the time SOR3 had come out.

Lyte Edge said:
Let me quote you and say that you are in fact high. :) SOR2 sounds much better than SOR3; the music makes the entire experience. SOR3's music SUCKED.
Let me just quote you, but saying that I suspect that you might have a reading comprehension problem, which may or may not be caused by you also being high. On drugs.

My Super Sober Self said:
SOR2 has a better soundtrack, no arguement there
SOR3 has much better sound effects overall, and you can actually understand the voice samples.

Seriously, does anyone play with Skate? The character is comic relief at best. Do you like to be stuck with this useless character surrounded by different bosses?

Bring back Adam (and Max)!

P.S. ArcadeStickMonk, I want whatever you are smoking. :)

On a side note, does anyone know what Axel says with his uppercut attack in SOR2?

I always thought it sounded like 'grab the paw!'

My friends insists it was 'get the car!'

:)

Instigator said:
On a side note, does anyone know what Axel says with his uppercut attack in SOR2?
"Stay off the drugs, kids!"

EDIT: I was going to post some Blaze cosplay I just found... but you really don't wanna see it. Chick looks high or sumpin'.

Instigator said:

:)

He says "MANTA CLAW!!!"

And now you know.

Ill Saint

I loved SoR 3's soundtrack. Dark, noisy and sinister... but then again I like rough tunes. Some clangers in there, though (disco stage).

Best game in the series, too, I reckon.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
We need to get ArcadeStickMonk some help. He keeps mentioning getting high in every post! :D

HOT SEXY--no, wait

HOT--, erm, hmm..

--BLAZE COSPLAY

DSC04226.jpg

ASM, please tell me the pics you found were much better.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
"Stay off the drugs, kids!"

EDIT: I was going to post some Blaze cosplay I just found... but you really don't wanna see it. Chick looks high or sumpin'.

Post it or PM people about it. whichever.

As long as it's not too racy, it should be ok.

Joeholley

Xenon said:
SOR2 was the besting the series. It was such a huge leap from the first. SOR3 was good but was more like SOR2.5

Pick up a Saturn and Gurdian Heroes if you want to go to the next level of beat'em ups.

My feelings exactly, on both counts.

It's not just the music that blows in 3, the fact that they put lame english translation kills some of the appeal as well. I like it better when I didn't know that Axel was belting out a gay, "Bare Knuckle." For every step forward they took with 3, they took some back as well.

While some of the added moves are nice, Dr. Z sucks compared to Max. Bringing the baseball bat back was cool, but Max swinging and clocking people from front and behind with the pipe in one swing was both cooler in theory and in sound effects.

The graphics for the chicks are hotter in 2 than 3. Unless you're fortunate enough to be playing the Japanese original, the U.S. 3 got the ol' Nintendo treatment for some retarded reason.

The motorcycles don't blow up when you knock dudes off them in 3......the CHiPs-like exploding bikes in 2 are cooler and more satisfying.

While they tried to add to different gameplay elements to 3, like rescuring the mayor or whatever, the background graphics for the levels just weren't as interesting. The theme park, baseball field, and ship were all cooler than the blandness of 3.

To sum up, added moves in 3....good. Most of the rest....bad.

manngc

Instigator said:

I heard "grab the paw" as well. :lol

The move is called "Grand Upper". That's what he's actually saying...with a japanese accent. This was also the voice sample for Bare Knuckles III, but for some dumbass reason it was changed in SoRIII to "Bare Knuckle". I absolutely despise SoRIII for the huge amount of changes for no reason that were made to graphics and voice samples (even Zan's were changed).

And Arcadestickmoon, what you said is absolutely CRAZY about the sound effects. SoRII voices, sound effects, and sound engine were GREAT. SoRIII/BKIII implemented a significantly less robust sound engine, as well as weaker sound effects. The game would often simple not play sound effects for a while. And the punch effects were a pitiful replacement. I'll give you the Jumpkick effects...I actually liked that one alot, when it played, cuz that's one of the SEs that would often not play. I guess the biggest beef is with the punch SE, which is the most often heard, was weaker than SoR2 and therefore significantly less satisfying.

Most agree that the SoRIII soundtrack was VERY lacking compared to the first two. Also, the game was simply too long, with the new ideas for stages occurring too late in the game (would have helped a lot to have implemented branching earlier and shorten the branches). Gosh, if only the game had a good soundtrack, it would have been so much better! To me, a good soundtrack really does add a LOT.

Mann

Since there appears to be so many fans of SOR3 coming out of the closet, can you explain what happened in the US version compared the Japanese original? That they censored some parts, that's perhaps expected, but I don't understand the changes among the main characters, for example. I always thought Axel and Blaze look like rejects in the US version. Finally seeing them in their original outfits in BK3 was a relief.

CO_Andy

Instigator said:
Seriously, does anyone play with Skate? The character is comic relief at best.
There never was a fourth character worth playing in the series :lol

Now that i had time to try out SoR 3 with my friend, i hav to say the game does kick-ass. While i still consider 2 to be the best, 3's weird upgrades/downgrades do hav a certain charm.

Btw, does anybody of a patch that will restore the original content back to SoR 3? I searched on google and all i found was this site here that supposedly housed a restoration patch at one time.

Ranger X

About Streets of Rage 3 soundtracks, it pretty much a matter of taste to like it better or not than the SOR2 one.
SOR2 is excellent and more on the rave/dance side imo. It was great for what it is (2Unlimited can go to hell).
SOR3 was more techno/industrial and excellent at it. There was still some rave influence. It's my fav soundtrack here as it fits more my techno tastes.

If it were only the music, I think SOR3 would still be a damn fine game, but as others pointed out, there's something wrong with many of the stages and the branching system is flawed.

CO_Andy

Wyzdom said:
SOR2 is excellent and more on the rave/dance side imo. SOR3 was more techno/industrial and excellent at it.
I always thought the musik in SoR3 sounded apocalyptic, while 2 has a jazzy beat.

While musik tastes may vary, i still say 2 wins overall in this area due to the sheer variety of tracks (which don't repeat themselves unlike in 3).

Anyanka

Final Fight has a much more satisfying feeling. None of the moves in SOR2 have any impact. They all look weak and have this lame smacking sound. The attacks in FF have a harder, more brutal feel. It really makes a difference.

That and the car bonus game is great. "Oh my god...."

CO_Andy

I hav never played a 2-player game of the original Final Fight, which iz why i'm looking highly forward to the Capcom Classics Collection.

Final Fight 1 eats SoR3 for breakfest, but whether it's superior to SoR2, well, i cannot say.

I think they're both equally entertaining brawlers in the end.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bare Knuckle 2 kicks ass.

I hated part III mostly because of the visuals, I couldn't stand how the art direction went so wrong... man, those huge main sprites were ugly as shit!

WTF, they were almost as tall as the ones on 1vs1 BEUs... and *that* soundtrack... arrrgh!

Christopher

Streets of Rage...my god how I loved that game growing up, where the hell are all the good games at now?

Anyway what really killed Streets of Rage 3 for me was actually a combo of things:

1.) The Music - Coming up with a better soundtrack than SOR2 is hard, but why not even just remix some themes from the second/first one. Also WHY change Axels phrases? I wonder was Skate the same voice actor from part 2, because he sounded weird as well.

2.) The atmosphere - hmm...something just didn't quite feel right, there was less "grit" to it. I mean I loved the psuedo-80's punk theme that went on in the games. 3 accomplished that to an extent, but it just didn't feel right.

3.) Zan...what the hell is this? Seriously, Max or Adam would have been great but we get some weird ass thing with an electric hand....come on.

I don't care how many different euphemisms people come up with to describe the tunes in SOR3. The bottom line is that they do not have enough MELODY and therefore just aren't as fun to bash heads to.

And yes, SOR2 is better than Final Fight. Not to say Final Fight isn't good, but Streets just delivers a cooler, harder atmosphere.

Many elements are superior in SOR2 to SOR3.
The music. The locations. The characters.

But SOR3 has an improved combat system.
SOR3 has better gameplay.

My genny is not a jukebox.

Wanted to add my 2 cents worth about Streets of Rage 2. This game is an absolute classic. Played it with my friend not too recently and this game still holds up extremely well to this day. This is a sign of a true classic.

Amazing music (still sounds good to this day), amazing co-op gameplay, and just plain fun!

Ranger X

Anyanka said:
Final Fight has a much more satisfying feeling. None of the moves in SOR2 have any impact. They all look weak and have this lame smacking sound. The attacks in FF have a harder, more brutal feel. It really makes a difference.

That and the car bonus game is great. "Oh my god...."

Wow, interesting. I always felt the exact contrary! I really feel like i'm kicking ass harder in SOR2. Final Fight felt all soft and lacked some "punch" feeling for me.

Unison

I dunno... Final Fight 3 adds a dash & special moves, which helps immensely... I'd say it's as good as any SOR game, though FF 1 & 2 come up short of SOR 2 & 3.

Seriously, does anyone play with Skate? The character is comic relief at best.

I played with him all the time...and really all the characters. You can do some pretty nifty crowd clearing stuff with him. I know he's small, but don't sell him short! :lol

BlackClouds said:
I played with him all the time...and really all the characters. You can do some pretty nifty crowd clearing stuff with him. I know he's small, but don't sell him short! :lol

'Hung kee-kee!'

Or whatever he says during his super.

Porridge

The thing about Streets of Rage is that every game in the series is actually good.

Final Fight? The first one is the best. An utter classic in my opinion. The rest I wish never happened

On a related note, why the FUCK hasn't Capcom ever done a CPS3-powered Final Fight? That could've been amazing...

Porridge said:
On a related note, why the FUCK hasn't Capcom ever done a CPS3-powered Final Fight? That could've been amazing...

I agree. That board was wasted. The company was too eager to use PS-based hardware to deliver low-end 3D games where high-end 2D games would be much more impressive.

CO_Andy

Porridge said:
The thing about Streets of Rage is that every game in the series is actually good.

Final Fight? The first one is the best. An utter classic in my opinion. The rest I wish never happened

True, although SoR1 hasn't aged very well.

The only good thing i can say about Final Fight iz that Capcom nicely expanded the storyline through its Streets Fighter series.

How many CPS3 games were released? I can only recall Red Earth and the SF3 series.

Anyanka

There's also Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for CPS 3.

It's too bad SOR 2 and 3 got rid of the police car coming out and nuking the bad guys.

Porridge said:

Forgot to respond to that part.

I think the best thing going for the first Final Fight was when it came out, especially the arcade version. It was colorful and it was loud. It was a game that immediately caught your attention. I don't think it has aged too well gameplay-wise (too simplistic) but a short run through it always brings a smile to my face.

For the other Final Fight games released on SNES, I don't think part 3 is that bad especially the way you can do more stuff with the characters, but the games still feel soulless. They follow the original formula a bit too closely, producing big, but incredibly stiff characters even over half a decade (with FF3) after FF1. There's not really any serious art direction with the stages and enemies, feeling like the superior color palette of the SNES (compared to the Genesis) is wasted.

And the music is your typical muzak found in most arcade beat-em-ups, except in the comfort of your own home where you can hear it loud and clear, I don't think this is good.

I really don't think those two sequels were developed by Capcom's top teams.

CO_Andy said:
True, although SoR1 hasn't aged very well.

I dunno....I still like to play it every now and then. The graphics are a bit of a step down, but still decent. Animation for some of the boss baddies isn't too hot though, has the cut corners feel.

And actually, you can shift pretty fast between left and right while duking it out with guys. At least with Axel anyway. It's still a good starting point for the series.

jarrod

Banned
Fun fact: SOR2 is the only game in the series developed entirely by the team who eventually became Ancient. SOR and SOR3 were done internally at Sega (though Yuzo did the soundtracks).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
Fun fact: SOR2 is the only game in the series developed entirely by the team who eventually became Ancient. SOR and SOR3 were done internally at Sega (though Yuzo did the soundtracks).

Then what are Ancient doing now? :p

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Then what are Ancient doing now? :p
Their last full game was Amazing Island on GC for Sega. They do a lot of support work and audio for other games though... I'm still hoping for an Oasis revival on DS myself. :)

manngc

Instigator said:
'Hung kee-kee!'

Or whatever he says during his super.
Corkscrew Kick... :p

Also, SOR1 did not have good graphics as all. Although it is fun to try and get as many enemies on screen as possible on the 5th stage. For some reason they forgot to look the number down. I've gotten as many as 22 enemies on screen, and then nuked them with player 2's special (which kills them one at a time). There were so many that I started walking by the enemies as they were still dying... :)

SOR2 almost looks like a generation jump from the first one. Better color usage, better sound, bigger characters. Everything was improved.

Mann

CO_Andy

SoR1 iz a game only worth playing for nolstalgia's sake. It's definitely a good starting point for the series (comparable to Street Fighter 1). Playing the game a month ago with my friend, we both find the stages to be overly long and the enemy A.I. simplistic.

Anyanka said:
It's too bad SOR 2 and 3 got rid of the police car coming out and nuking the bad guys.
The police car was cheezy, but i'm glad Sega included it, making the game just that much bearable to play :lol

jiji said:
iz iz iz iz iz iz... make it go awaaaaaay
Awright, i'll use is from here on. Everyone happy now?

Top Bottom