• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 2 iz fantastic!

Anyanka

The Take Out Bandit said:
I just hope Capcom doesn't censor the PS2 version of Final Fight.

NO POISON, NO SALE! >:|

Why wouldn't Poison be in it? Her and Roxy are in the US arcade version.

Anyanka

Yeah and SNES. The Nintendo versions. The girls are in the other versions, which seems to indicate the censorship is a Nintendo issue. The PS2 version is based on the arcade version which has them.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wyzdom said:
At least Punks shared a vision...
I wouldn't like old trends to come back but don't tell me that the "gangsta" or hip-hop style (that they even call culture LOL) is better in any way.
Kindly go fuck yourself.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Anyanka said:
Yeah and SNES. The Nintendo versions. The girls are in the other versions, which seems to indicate the censorship is a Nintendo issue. The PS2 version is based on the arcade version which has them.
BtW, wouldn't any censorship be strictly on Capcom's part? I thought Nintendo doesn't force censorship since the middle of the SNES generation.

Tellaerin

belgurdo said:
...it should go back into the cliched 80s PUNK RAWK direction instead?
Yes. We're seeing tons of hip-hop-themed games lately. Revisiting the pseudo-80's punk style wouldn't just be staying faithful to the series' roots, but would also help it stand out in a crowded market.

quest

Not Banned from OT
CO_Andy said:
Recently, i introduced a friend to play Streets of Rage 2, and now he's hooked on the game! It's amazing how well this ancient game holds up today... lots of fun to be had in co-op.

After a few days, we tried the first Streets of Rage. It's not quite as good as i remember it (it's horribly repetitive and excruciatingly long for a beat-em-up).

Any other recommendations in the genre (that are as good as SoR2)? I would like to play Final Fight, but that's only 1-player (and no, we don't hav two GBAs).

Something worth mentioning: there's a Yuzo Koshiro interview in the latest issue of PLAY.

SoR series is one of my altime favorite just because of the co-op play. Nothing better than coming to the aid of a friend who is caught up in a mosh pit. If you like SoR try the golden axe series. If you are feeling really nestalgic try river city ransom from the NES.

CO_Andy

Revisiting the pseudo-80's punk style wouldn't just be staying faithful to the series' roots, but would also help it stand out in a crowded market.
Double Dragon, Fist of the North Star... the 80s still lives, baby!

Bebpo

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
A friendly reminder: Spikeout is Streets of Rage in 3D.

Are you implying that Spikeout is an 3d incarnation of the essence of pounding raging fists? Because I still haven't picked up Spikeout, and need to know if I should.

Shinobi

Bare Knuckle 3 owns SOR2. Gameplay is deeper and simply better, the stage design is more cohrent, the bosses aren't merely Street Fighter 2 rips, you couldn't bodyslam the fat guys because they were too heavy (couldn't do this in SOR1 either, SOR2 allowed it for some reason which reduced the challenge), and the game was more difficult with more stages. It loses out big time to the first two in the music department (even then there are some cool tunes...the first two games simply feature two of the top ten game soundtracks I've ever heard), but that's about it. And if music is the only thing that got you playing these games, you're not that much of a beat 'em up fan.

Wyzdom said:
At least Punks shared a vision...

Of what, being dumb looking twats? Wearing safety pins through your nose simply means you should be locked up in a funny farm.

And you'll have to explain what you mean by the rest of your comment...I agreed with your assesment of SOR3's soundtrack, so it's clear you're not a total idiot.

Tellaerin said:
Yes. We're seeing tons of hip-hop-themed games lately. Revisiting the pseudo-80's punk style wouldn't just be staying faithful to the series' roots, but would also help it stand out in a crowded market.

I guess the soundtrack should be punked based as well. :lol

Bebpo said:
Are you implying that Spikeout is an 3d incarnation of the essence of pounding raging fists? Because I still haven't picked up Spikeout, and need to know if I should.

That's exactly what he's saying...I've been saying this myself the last seven years.

swordsman

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
That was actually Bare Knuckle 3, not 2. :) I think the reason many people like SOR2 over SOR3 is the soundtrack. SOR3 has better game play, but Yuzo Koshiro went tone deaf and the soundtrack just plain SUCKED, especially when SOR1 and 2 had such good music for Genesis games.

I got Bare Knuckle III a couple of years ago but haven't messed with it as much as I should. What are all the changes? I know they changed the character outfit colors, the female baddies are less dressed in the Japanese version, different voices, and then of course there's Ash, but is there anything else?

Capcom's console BEU efforts kind of suck, IMO. The games were always better in arcades. Even D&D Collection suffered from horrid load times. Final Fight 2 and 3 are okay games, but the first remains the only good game in the series IMO.
---
You are right :)
I do own the original part1 and 2 for Sega megadrive (genesis). I got the Japanese console.
The game is USA though.., but I modified my console so no problem at all for the import game. I even own a copy box for the console (Double pro fighter 32 Mbit)

Part 3 >>via the emulator>>great game.
I was a big fan of Sega . Got all most of their consoles.

ourumov

Played Spikeout for an hour or so and yes...that's the most similar thing to SOR 3D you'll ever find...Not saying is a perfect transition ! Just the most similar one...

Tellaerin

Shinobi said:
I guess the soundtrack should be punked based as well. :lol

Don't laugh! A punk soundtrack for a BEU would kick ass! I can just imagine kicking the crap out of a boss to the sound of the Ramones--'Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat~!' :D Say what you want about oldschool punk, but no one can deny that it's got energy, which is always a good fit when you're pounding thugs into the pavement.

Tellaerin said:
Don't laugh! A punk soundtrack for a BEU would kick ass! I can just imagine kicking the crap out of a boss to the sound of the Ramones--'Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat~!' :D Say what you want about oldschool punk, but no one can deny that it's got energy, which is always a good fit when you're pounding thugs into the pavement.

Putting licensed tracks on a game such as SOR would only diminish it.

Tellaerin

Instigator said:
Putting licensed tracks on a game such as SOR would only diminish it.

*laugh* Licensed vs. original music is another debate entirely. :) My whole point was that punk is hardly a bad fit for a BEU soundtrack, let alone something that should be laughed off dismissively. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Shinobi said:
That's exactly what he's saying...I've been saying this myself the last seven years.

Sounds good. Is there anyway to still get the US cheapo version of the game? None of the stores online seem to be stocking it anymore. I can pick up the Jpn version used for like $40-50 since it's readily available, but I'd rather get the cheapo $20-30 US version if it's still in existence :p

Tellaerin said:
*laugh* Licensed vs. original music is another debate entirely. :) My whole point was that punk is hardly a bad fit for a BEU soundtrack, let alone something that should be laughed off dismissively. :p

I still suspect you want to do something unholy to the game. :)

CO_Andy

SoR 3 iz a good game overall, but not perfection. The music & graphics took a drop, and the kooky story Sega came up with iz a bit hard to follow.

The game iz also unreasonably hard, but then again, i haven't played it since the early 90s (i plan to revisit it soon).

Shompola

Banned
Yah SOR 3 is probably the weakest game in the series IMO, a lot thanks to shitty graphical design and awful minimalist techno music that just doesnt fit unless you are a fan of S/M.
Even then the game shits on almost everything including the so overrated final fight series.
Although Final Fight CD had an exceptionally good soundtrack.

SOR 2 is still my favorite a lot thanks to how goundbreaking good it was when it was released. It practically demolished anything in sight including final fight and SOR 1.

SOR 1 has the best music score IMO, but the controls feel stiff and the graphics are the worst among the games in the SOR series.

manngc

It's funny to compare the graphics of SOR1 to SOR2. The leap is just huge! Almost a generational leap there. SOR1 didn't even run smooth (as in what appears to be less than 60fps!).

And yes, while the gameplay of SOR3 is better than SOR2, everything including level layout, sound, music, and length were worse. And it was really annoying having all the good new ideas for SOR3 appear only at the last 2 levels of the game. Also, the bosses left so much desired compared to SOR2's.

Mann

Ranger X

Shinobi said:
Of what, being dumb looking twats? Wearing safety pins through your nose simply means you should be locked up in a funny farm.

And you'll have to explain what you mean by the rest of your comment...I agreed with your assesment of SOR3's soundtrack, so it's clear you're not a total idiot.

I never thought anybody would want to know what i think about the "gangsta" trend.
To me it's "urban style gone wrong". The GENERAL image they output is one of rebellion for sure but reflects criminality, women's degradation and love for money. Please someone explain me ANY "vision" there can be in this that. And it's not "culture", it's just a trend. Culture is something alot more global that includes many trends and behaviors.

Punks in the 80s were mostly with this "we want anarchy" message. They weren't dressed better than today's gangsta that's for sure. I just feel that they are LESS WORSE because at least they seem to share a vision, a fundamental change in the system (though i obviously don't believe in what they preach).

/off topic

(if anybody want to debate about my lack of knowledge and crude judgement, feel free to put a thread for me in OT)

Ranger X

aoi tsuki said:
Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack was deeper dive into the world of harder and more experimental electronic music.

That's what i liked about it. The only downside with SOR3 soundtrack may be that there's some weak songs here and there. I can't remember any really weaker songs in the SOR2 soundtrack.

Shinobi

Bebpo said:
Sounds good. Is there anyway to still get the US cheapo version of the game? None of the stores online seem to be stocking it anymore. I can pick up the Jpn version used for like $40-50 since it's readily available, but I'd rather get the cheapo $20-30 US version if it's still in existence :p

Try these guys out...

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/advanc...4466b5a1ba59139c1ae&keywords=spikeout&x=0&y=0

Not sure how they did it, but they got in quite a few copies of this game (relatively speaking anyway).

And how the fuck can anyone say SOR3 is the weakest in the series? I can just about tolerate hearing SOR2 being lauded over SOR3 (though I vehemently disagre with that notion), but strictly talking about gameplay, SOR1 is a piece of shit compared to the sequels. Though I do prefer the stage design to SOR2, and 3 in some ways. And the music is simply ridiculous.

Wyzdom said:
I never thought anybody would want to know what i think about the "gangsta" trend.
To me it's "urban style gone wrong". The GENERAL image they output is one of rebellion for sure but reflects criminality, women's degradation and love for money. Please someone explain me ANY "vision" there can be in this that. And it's not "culture", it's just a trend. Culture is something alot more global that includes many trends and behaviors.

Punks in the 80s were mostly with this "we want anarchy" message. They weren't dressed better than today's gangsta that's for sure. I just feel that they are LESS WORSE because at least they seem to share a vision, a fundamental change in the system (though i obviously don't believe in what they preach).

/off topic

I'd say your description of punks applies more to goths...punks weren't any less annoying then today's G-Unit disciples...trouble making obnoxious idiots with the worst fashion sense in history. Shared vision my ass...

But like I said, I share your sentiment on SOR3's music. :lol There are six tracks in the game that I'd put up there with any in the first two games, all filled with deep, melodic bass. Alas it drops off quite a bit after those.

SaitoH

I prefer SOR2 over SOR1, or SOR3. Three should of been the best of the series, simply because it added some really nice game mechanics, but it just didn't gel for me. The American version was too hard and not fun. The Japanese version was much better, but I didn't get to play that till years later. I also liked the music and level design in SOR2 much more.

Tellaerin

Instigator said:
I still suspect you want to do something unholy to the game. :)

Hardly. (Well, at least with respect to SOR 2, anyway. That game had great music, and I'd never suggest changing it. On the other hand, I'd gladly replace the SOR 3 soundtrack with anything else, up to and including the sound of someone beating on trash can lids. So if the SOR 3 soundtrack is sacred to you, then I suppose you'd be right in calling what I'd do to it 'unholy'. :) )

Erdrick

I played SoR back in the day when it was new and was called Sega's "Final Fight Killer". In many respects it was better than FF. Wheras FF's sequels, to me, came off as uninspired and watered down, SoR2 and 3 were very well done and took many oppertunities to improve the beat-em up formula.

I did not care for the special attack button in the original, and I was glad they ditched it for SoR2. 2 was SUCH a massive improvement, it was insane. bigger sprites, longer game, legendary music (The original of course was no slouch in that dept, either.) a better selection of moves and characters and simply... it was very polished.

I only briefly played the 3rd, and other than the much misunderstood music. (I don't care for it that much, not that it is horrid... just... not what I expected.) It seemed to have much more improvements. Even some moves were limited to the 6 button Genesis pad, I recall.

I wish Sega would put the Bare Knuckle games on a compilation disc... and NOT SCREW IT UP! Just the thought of how they KILLED SoR2 on the Dreamcast Genesis collection disc... the music was about at the standard of Atari 2600 tunes. They BUTCHERED the sound, among other things... Horrible... just bloody horrible. I'm glad I own the SoR2 OST, so I played it when playing that.

But yeah, SoR2... Makes me feel like an angsty teen again. Good game. Reminds me of the Sega of old. Good stuff. I'm glad people still discover it and enjoy it still, many years after it was cutting-edge.

On a sidenote, why did EGM never review SOR2? I know they'd sometimes skip certain games, but it's amazing this one was forgotten by their staff.

You can't link from Axel's standard combo to his grand upper in SoR3...so SoR 2 gameplay wins by default.

...and what's with letting you play as Shiva, but not having all the cool moves he did in SoR2?

manngc

If Capcom was going to put the arcade Final Fight on a new system, I'd want the Sega CD tunes with it. I'll accept to substitute...

Mann

Spencerr

Banned
I'm fairly sure Streets of Rage 2 was on a genesis collection cd I had for sega cd along with like Golden Axe (hawt) and columns or something.

This neighbor girl would always come over to co-op with me. Fun times.

manngc

Spencerr said:
I'm fairly sure Streets of Rage 2 was on a genesis collection cd I had for sega cd along with like Golden Axe (hawt) and columns or something.

No, it was SOR1.

My biggest beef with the tunes of SOR3 was that there was practically zero melody. The soundtrack just wasn't fun to beat down guys to....and that's really the point now isn't it?

No, it was SOR1.

Yeah, I had that disc. I remember the sound samples, like the screams and such, were of better quality. If I recall though, the game still had the slowdown in certain parts like the cart.

manngc

Oh yeah, they did resample the voices for some reason. Personnally, I didn't like the resamples at all. Especially Blaze's little squeak... The originals fit much better, even though they didn't sound as good...

Mann

aoi tsuki

Took for-effin'-ever, but here's the link to the SOR3 soundtrack for reference. Don't know where i got this, and i don't know if it's complete, but it's here:

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Z1QKG6NDLJ5O3MV6XUKEK4ULA

The only two songs i remember liking were "The Poets I" and "Cycle II", but after listening to it again after a year or so, i realize there's some really good tracks here, just not for kicking ass to.

CO_Andy

Erdrick said:
I wish Sega would put the Bare Knuckle games on a compilation disc... and NOT SCREW IT UP! I'm glad I own the SoR2 OST, so I played it when playing that.
No can do, Sega screws up EVERYTHING these days. If they had a brain, they would partner with Nintendo to bring Sega emulation on the Revolution.

Damn, i'm still miffed i missed out on the SoR2 soundtrack at marscolonymusic.com. I thought they would be around forever :(

Shinobi

aoi tsuki said:
Took for-effin'-ever, but here's the link to the SOR3 soundtrack for reference. Don't know where i got this, and i don't know if it's complete, but it's here:

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Z1QKG6NDLJ5O3MV6XUKEK4ULA

The only two songs i remember liking were "The Poets I" and "Cycle II", but after listening to it again after a year or so, i realize there's some really good tracks here, just not for kicking ass to.

Cool stuff, thanks.

Erdrick

CO_Andy said:
Damn, i'm still miffed i missed out on the SoR2 soundtrack at marscolonymusic.com. I thought they would be around forever :(

I picked that up from them back in January 2001. Deducing from your comment there, It's a good thing I did pick it up when I did.

I kinda wish someone would redo this OST with newer sound quality or whatever, but the original still holds very, very well. The Genesis was always capable of some pretty awesome tunes.

And your likely correct about Sega now. Seeing how the latest remakes that they did turned out... it's probably better that they never do it. I know Koshiro and his company, Ancient (If they still exist) approached Sega back in the... DC days? and wanted to do a new SoR game, but Sega said no.

"Expander" will always rock though.

Damn, I have to find that CD now. I crave some music after all this SoR2 talk.

ourumov

I use a gym player and the zophar.net samples...Anyways for those looking for cool remixes, there is the Gekko Yamori stuff on OC Remix which is pretty cool.

olubode said:
BtW, wouldn't any censorship be strictly on Capcom's part? I thought Nintendo doesn't force censorship since the middle of the SNES generation.

Actually that was one of the reasons that Nintendo lost ground to Sega. In 1993 Nintendo got a version of Mortal Kombat that was censored while Sega kept all that fun stuff in, I think in the end it outsold Nintendo's version by quite a wide margin. So I'd put my money on it being a Nintendo requested censoring. I think after Mortal Kombat II came out Nintendo loosened up on the censoring thing.

Rather than create another topic, I think it's more appropriate to bump this one. After all, it is this discussion that made me replay SOR 2 and 3 again for the past few weeks. So, let's talk.

I definitely still prefer SOR2 over SOR3. Part 2 is just a much more well-rounded game, with no real weakness. The music is awesome, it's a huge improvement over SOR1 visually, the character choice varied enough and the core gameplay solid. Just fantastic game. I do feel that Axel is perhaps too good compared the other characters, but playing as Max and Blaze is not too bad.

Now SOR3, I think it is hurt because it is not that much of an improvement over SOR2. It certainly doesn't look it. Gameplay got useful tweaks, running, rolling and super move system being the obvious ones, but largely plays the same. The music is not horrible but definitely a mixed bag. I think the same can be said with the character selection. I'm not sure ditching Max in favor of Zen was a good idea (Skate has always been more useless, IMHO), but the secret characters, especially Shiva make up for this. Blaze seem to be a better character now.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Just read through this thread for the first time, and the discussion about SoR3's music caught my eye.

AFAIK, Yuzo Koshiro did all of the music for SoR and SoR2, but did less that half of the music in SoR3. If my memory serves me right there were something like 18 tracks and he wrote 8 of them. His partner for that project was Motohiro Kawashima.

Now, if only I could get a more interesting job for knowing all this worthless trivia... :lol

Top Bottom