• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League Still An Arkham Game At Its Core, According To Rocksteady

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Honestly, the anti-hype is so strong on this one that I feel like it might be surprisingly okay.

Not that that's something anyone should shoot for, but still.

Ozzie666

I bet Warner Brothers wish they could take a tax write off on the game like they do with some of their movies.

I can't wait to see the review embargo details.

Last edited:

Forth

I hate all of this nonsense, the spirit of the studio is still there, no it's not! If the game is good then people will buy it.
They said the same thing about Redfall that the spirit of Arkane was still there, it wasn't because the real spirit of Arcane have left the studio.

SJRB

Gold Member
Live footage of the meeting where Rocksteady decides to make a GaaS Co-op shooter with some characters nobody cares about:

aF98yrq.gif

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
The two lads who started Rocksteady fucked off because of this ongoing abortion, so I doubt the company is going to be in great shape if (when) the game flops. Definite layoffs, and if they continue to try to prop the stupid thing up for a long time, it could kill the company completely. Sounds like Warner Bros want them to be a GaaS company from now on, so no loss if it does happen.
The founders left? That's not a good sign.

Games take too long to make now and the market is too slow to respond to changes. We got major developers like Naughty Dog announcing to the world that GaaS games are not financially doable without turning the studio into a GaaS studio only and we have analytics/experts saying that the bubble has either began to burst or have bursted already and the dominance of these GaaS games will finally crumble this year.

Evidently we had too many developers/investors chasing after the same thing and now those profit prospects are falling apart with all of these 4+ years in development games being unwilling or unable to pivot.

Watching a train crash happen in slow motion isn't fun to see.

Last edited:
The founders left? That's not a good sign.

Games take too long to make now and the market is too slow to respond to changes. We got major developers like Naughty Dog announcing to the world that GaaS games are not financially doable without turning the studio into a GaaS studio only and we have analytics/experts saying that the bubble has either began to burst or have bursted already and the dominance of these GaaS games will finally crumble this year.

Evidently we had too many developers/investors chasing after the same thing and now those profit prospects are falling apart with all of these 4+ years in development games being unwilling or unable to pivot.

Watching a train crash happen in slow motion isn't fun to see.
Agreed. What's really astounding to me is that all these so called experts can't see the similarities between GAAS and the MMO craze that WOW kicked off. Both require games that are always creating new content, always getting money from their players, and always demand hundreds or thousands of hours of player investment. The market very clearly can only support so many of these types of games because the potential player base only has so much time and money to invest in so many of these games. So the three or five most popular make all the money and everything else either bombs out right at launch or fizzles out rather quickly.

Last edited:

dottme

Am I the only one getting tons of ads for this game?
Are they really expecting a huge user base?

The Stig

I always wonder what the developers really think in situations like this. Like, obviously they know it is tied to their careers. They are professionals. They want to make the best games. They have to choose to believe in themselves and try their best to make a great experience. They know tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars are being invested. You want to make good on that. You have a legacy to keep. So in that sense, they might actually be fooling themselves.

On the other hand, they play games. They are in the industry. They have to smell it like anyone else. They know they are being forced to make something that nobody wants. They know that their best efforts are like those of a man desperately trying to woo a woman who finds him an unattractive loser. They have to know that there is never going to be a "global community" around an online co-op beat-em-up based on the Suicide Squad. That shit ain't happening. They have to know it through every day they go to work and talk to each other like it can happen because they need it to happen.

It's sad.
I imagine it must be soul-crushing for some of them.

I played Arkham games for slow burn, atmospheric stealth and solitary exploration.

Pretty much the exact inverse of this marvel-esque mix of annoying hero characters, quips, online play, and speed.
Honestly it reminds me a lot of Guardians of the Galaxy. The difference is the character interaction in that game was entertaining to listen to where as in Suicide Squad your 2 hours in and Harley Quinn's banter and dialogue alone leaves you with a migraine.

amigastar

I almost feel bad for Rocksteady. The negative hype around this game is extraordinary. Must feel bad as a dev.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"full of the DNA that infuses the Batman: Arkham series."
I dont think Batman games are infused with shooter gunplay, or killing bosses shooting a purple weak points.

The game looks like it has more in common with a GAAS shooter combined with Lost Planet.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I almost feel bad for Rocksteady. The negative hype around this game is extraordinary. Must feel bad as a dev.

Nah. They can get fucked. Quite obvious that whatever Rocksteady used to be, it died the second the founders of the company rightly jumped ship.

I do hope any devs forced to work on this GaaS diarrhea can move on to better jobs when the inevitable lay offs happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom