• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Robin64

Woo!

zlCfzR1AdFgGR5sjXl

80 hours on the clock, not bad. Best Mario ever, for sure.
Except maybe Super Mario Bros. 3

maxcriden

Congrats Robin! I still need to beat the final level. Eventually I'm sure I'll be able to...I haven't tried in a while, DK: TF has been keeping us busy on the Wii U front!

Finally received this in the mail today. Me and the missus have been playing for a bit over an hour, got to World 2. I had great expectations and it's been slightly disappointing in that level design doesn't seem to be spectacular so far, and World 1 was really short too. I also expected more from the soundtrack which seems to be somewhat repetitive, and I would have preferred entirely different world themes a la SMB3 than instrumental variations on a theme.

There's another thing I'm missing, and that's something to unlock with the green stars besides progression. I loved that in NSMB Wii you used big gold coins to unlock completion videos of the levels, including some crazy four-player coordination (probably TAS) for some of them. I know I can find all of that stuff on YouTube from fans, but it was a cool thing to have. In terms of extras, this seems... barebones.

That said, we're having fun and I look forward to playing a lot more of this. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
When I eventually get around to doing a SMB3 LP, I'm going to make it a point to complain about how unremarkable the game is at the end of world 1.

CassSept

Nintendo is so safe with World 1, it always give people a terrible impression.

And then the game explodes in craziness.

Honestly, world 2 and 3 aren't that crazy either save for one or two levels (DOUBLE CHERRY PASSAGE). The game takes way too long to get to the good stuff and honestly, even early levels can be both easy and memorable (Galaxies).

Hero

zlCfzRkeSY8DBY7abP

Whew! That level is crazy, even with power ups. I died twice after getting 4 of the keys, and once after getting all 5 keys, yet the level itself was perfect because every death was my fault. Such a good feeling when I finally got to the "Thank You" tubes.

10/10 game for me and it's easily a top 3 Mario title.

I can't be the only one that was deathly terrified of the pipes at the end. I didn't trust anything I had learned by that point. The paranoia was real.

olimpia84

Nintendo is so safe with World 1, it always give people a terrible impression.

And then the game explodes in craziness.

I'm actually a big fan of Nintendo's World 1 in Mario games, especially for this game and 3D Land. I know exactly what to expect (easy peasy levels, tons of lives) but their purpose is to introduce new players to the world/game mechanics and I always find it fascinating with the way Nintendo does it. It's like the best tutorial ever on a video game.
IMO W1-1 on 3D Land is the best first level on a Mario game after 1-1 in the original SMB.

Anteo

You can stall in the air for a second by doing a ground pound. It should give you enough time to wait for the next box to respawn (talking about the blocks that change with the music). Now for the rest of the level? good luck.

jnWake

You can stall in the air for a second by doing a ground pound. It should give you enough time to wait for the next box to respawn (talking about the blocks that change with the music). Now for the rest of the level? good luck.

Ground pound is also a very good resource for the dashing section, you can buy some time and even redirect your running direction with ground pounds.

I just can't do the
Crown World
Marathon House. I want to complete it with the other 4 characters (only did it with Peach), but it's so frustrating doing it again. I just want my 5 stars. Should've gotten help when I had friends over this weekend. :/

Sixfortyfive

I just can't do the
Crown World
Marathon House. I want to complete it with the other 4 characters (only did it with Peach), but it's so frustrating doing it again. I just want my 5 stars. Should've gotten help when I had friends over this weekend. :/
Get to the 29th stage, kill Boom Boom, collect the star, but use extra controllers to make 3 other characters join in before going through the box to the 30th stage. As long as 4 characters are in play at the end you'll get the marks for all of them, whether they're bubbled or not.

mantidor

The very last world in this game is complete shit, any tips? (Besides the toad stage)

Perseverance and patience.
I haven't finished it either.

Suit grinding isn't that bad, I only need cat suit sometimes and that is in the first world. Or of I feel greedy money cat suit in the savannah level, you can finish it really quickly.

Dereck

Perseverance and patience.
I haven't finished it either.
Champion's Road is stupid, and Mystery House Marathon is intolerable. I've gotten this far which is motivating me to finish, but damn is it frustrating. I've gotten all stars, yellow flags, and stamps up until this point.

Who finished Champion's Road/Mystery House Marathon multiplayer, is it easier?

Champion's Road is stupid, and Mystery House Marathon is intolerable. I've gotten this far which is motivating me to finish, but damn is it frustrating. I've gotten all stars, yellow flags, and stamps up until this point.
Same. No chance I'm ever going to be motivated to do it.

ffdgh

I abused peach's float to the fullest extent for champoin road lol. Made it tolerable. That marathon tho...So much trial and error.

mantidor

There comes a point in gaming where I have to stop playing if I'm not enjoying myself.

I'm giving it a rest while I go back to my neglected Pikmin 3 save, it is surprising how much better you get if you give yourself a break.

My problem really is the piranha plant jumping, I suck at timing, the rest aren't really that difficult, specially with cat suit. I have no idea about the ones after the piranha plant jumping though.

Sixfortyfive

My problem really is the piranha plant jumping, I suck at timing, the rest aren't really that difficult, specially with cat suit. I have no idea about the ones after the piranha plant jumping though.
Which stage are we talking about here?

In any case, I don't think you have to put any thought into it. Just hold jump the whole time.

Roo

Who finished Champion's Road/Mystery House Marathon multiplayer, is it easier?

In Champion's Road definitely not.
If anything, it gets harder since the camera zooms out to cover everyone.
You and your friends need to be in synch since there are sections (underwater spikes) that require perfect timing and the miliscond freeze when someone dies can mess things up big time.

mantidor

Which stage are we talking about here?

In any case, I don't think you have to put any thought into it. Just hold jump the whole time.

really!? we are talking the last mistery marathon house, one star is at the end of a piranha plant stair.

I'm going to keep trying tonight!

Yagharek

Finally managed to beat Champion's Road today. What a relief!

Such a great level. Starts off impossible, then realise you can run over the single steps with the chargin chucks like in 3D Land.

Then spend a few weeks figuring out timing on the beat blocks and the devious final 4 of them.

Then toast the kamek trio.

Then figure out how to get through rolling spike logs and fuzzies without rushing.

Then ease through the wall jumps/pirhana creepers.

Then try and string it all together without taking hits.

Finally that damn water/spike section. Getting to the end of it without getting killed by that final spike block.

All the while, once in a while you make it to the final section and die from the first laser, or jump too early, and you were never going to make it because you were mini mario.

Well not today.

Today, I made it to the speed pads as full size Mario and with a tanooki tail in the box. And I didnt take a single hit til I already had all the star coins and was racing towards the warp box.

I reckon that's the proudest gaming achievement Ive ever had. So happy to have finally cracked it and a conservative estimate would be 1000 retries to finally beat it.

Gambit

Finally managed to beat Champion's Road today. What a relief!

Such a great level. Starts off impossible, then realise you can run over the single steps with the chargin chucks like in 3D Land.

Then spend a few weeks figuring out timing on the beat blocks and the devious final 4 of them.

Then toast the kamek trio.

Then figure out how to get through rolling spike logs and fuzzies without rushing.

Then ease through the wall jumps/pirhana creepers.

Then try and string it all together without taking hits.

Finally that damn water/spike section. Getting to the end of it without getting killed by that final spike block.

All the while, once in a while you make it to the final section and die from the first laser, or jump too early, and you were never going to make it because you were mini mario.

Well not today.

Today, I made it to the speed pads as full size Mario and with a tanooki tail in the box. And I didnt take a single hit til I already had all the star coins and was racing towards the warp box.

I reckon that's the proudest gaming achievement Ive ever had. So happy to have finally cracked it and a conservative estimate would be 1000 retries to finally beat it.

Congrats, man!

Well done. It really is quite an achievement. Though, having read your account, I have to say my experience with the water area was different. I don't think I was hit there even once for the whole time I tried to beat the level. The water section was basically relaxation before it gets going again. On the other hand, I actually had problems with the piranha plants!

Yagharek

I had some silly mistakes in the water section.

Obviously a couple of times I hit spikes along the way, but these three stand out:

1. Very first attempt, I swam ahead of the water and fell out to the right.
2. Another time I missed the final exit then had to go all the way back to the right, then left again.
3. One time, I inexplicably fell out of the water by moving out of the screen (ie towards me). I was dead centre in the water too.

I think my main problem was getting past that final red block into the tube without taking a spike. The actual navigation was easy "most" of the time.

I'd say the easiest bits of the level are:
1. The fire-throwing koopas (obviously)
2. The three Kameks
3. The wall jump with the spikey mice
4. The piranha/creeper plant ladder

If you can get past those sections without getting carried away it is really a good run.

Also I loved getting the piranha plant on the spike log/fuzzies section and throwing it into the abyss.

jgwhiteus

Just beat Champion's Road the other day, using Peach without power-ups - no way in hell was I going to attempt that with a power-less Mario (and I couldn't be bothered dying all the time then having to go to another level or a Toad house to find a Tanooki suit). Such a monstrosity of a level, but very satisfying to finish, especially because the day before I had decided I was going to abandon it and have this be the first Mario game where I didn't complete and green star all the levels.

I sank hundreds of lives and a lot of hours into that one level (as well as the last Mystery House - couldn't use Peach there, Luigi in a cat suit ended up being easier), but I have to appreciate a game that motivates you to do the same tasks over and over again until it's in your muscle memory and you've memorized the level layout, but yet never feels arbitrary or unfair. It was tough, brutal even, but I felt like if I just practiced enough and got the moves and timing down, I could beat it - and when I was frustrated, I was frustrated with myself for messing up, not with the game (well, I might have cursed at the game a few times). I think that's the hallmark of good platformer design.

But two things I wish I'd known before doing either of the last post-game levels:

- You can jump high off the Piranha Creepers by continuing to hold down B! (which is counter-intuitive for Peach or anyone in a Tanooki suit since she's forced to float a bit before she lands on enemy's heads). I had never had to use that move before the end-game.

- On the dash panels, you don't have to dash in the very last part! If you let go of the dash button, you'll eventually slow to a "walking" dash on the panels which makes collecting the key coins less hurried and frenetic.

But yeah, great game. I might rank Galaxy 1 & 2 slightly higher personally just for the inventiveness of their core concept and various presentation aspects like their music (though I really liked the jazz influence here), but this was another very good entry. But there is no way I'm going to attempt to 100% this and get all stamps with all characters - I'm satisfied with just getting all the green stars and gold flags.

Hey guys,

I got this game recently. The soundtrack and graphics so far are amazing but I'm finding this game far too easy.

I'm halfway into world 4 and I think I only died about twice. Does it get harder later on? I'm blowing by these levels rather quickly and with how so many are calling it the "best Mario game ever", I'm sorta disappointed.

However, I'm really loving the Captain Toad stuff. I'm so excited for a full game with him :O

Mogwai

Hey guys,

I got this game recently. The soundtrack and graphics so far are amazing but I'm finding this game far too easy.

I'm halfway into world 4 and I think I only died about twice. Does it get harder later on? I'm blowing by these levels rather quickly and with how so many are calling it the "best Mario game ever", I'm sorta disappointed.

However, I'm really loving the Captain Toad stuff. I'm so excited for a full game with him :O
Wait until the later levels. You will be tested.

Weng

Just beat Champion's Road the other day, using Peach without power-ups - no way in hell was I going to attempt that with a power-less Mario (and I couldn't be bothered dying all the time then having to go to another level or a Toad house to find a Tanooki suit). Such a monstrosity of a level, but very satisfying to finish, especially because the day before I had decided I was going to abandon it and have this be the first Mario game where I didn't complete and green star all the levels.

I sank hundreds of lives and a lot of hours into that one level (as well as the last Mystery House - couldn't use Peach there, Luigi in a cat suit ended up being easier), but I have to appreciate a game that motivates you to do the same tasks over and over again until it's in your muscle memory and you've memorized the level layout, but yet never feels arbitrary or unfair. It was tough, brutal even, but I felt like if I just practiced enough and got the moves and timing down, I could beat it - and when I was frustrated, I was frustrated with myself for messing up, not with the game (well, I might have cursed at the game a few times). I think that's the hallmark of good platformer design.

But two things I wish I'd known before doing either of the last post-game levels:

- You can jump high off the Piranha Creepers by continuing to hold down B! (which is counter-intuitive for Peach or anyone in a Tanooki suit since she's forced to float a bit before she lands on enemy's heads). I had never had to use that move before the end-game.

- On the dash panels, you don't have to dash in the very last part! If you let go of the dash button, you'll eventually slow to a "walking" dash on the panels which makes collecting the key coins less hurried and frenetic.

But yeah, great game. I might rank Galaxy 1 & 2 slightly higher personally just for the inventiveness of their core concept and various presentation aspects like their music (though I really liked the jazz influence here), but this was another very good entry. But there is no way I'm going to attempt to 100% this and get all stamps with all characters - I'm satisfied with just getting all the green stars and gold flags.
I just tried it again. I still can't beat it. I think I've lost over 400 lives since I started trying it. I always use Mario (without items) and never made it further than the first few dash panels. Most of the time I die somewhere along the way though. In the 45 minutes I played just now, I only managed to reach the dash panels three times. Maybe I should switch to Peach...

oh god i can't handle all those tenses, I'm sorry :(

BizzyBum

I just beat the game with all 380 Green Stars, Gold Flags, and 80 Stamps. I felt like this was a longer Mario game then most. Clocked in at 21:30. I wasn't expecting so many post-game levels. It's basically like the real game starts after you defeat Bowser. I still put the Galaxy games on a higher tier but this is definitely up there.

My save file only has 4 shining stars, though. I was missing 5 stamps and looked up on where to get them and did a big NOPE when I read you have to beat each level with each character. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but there's no way in hell I'm replaying the game another 4 times.

I'm hoping Nintendo makes a more open world Mario game next.

jgwhiteus

I just beat the game with all 380 Green Stars, Gold Flags, and 80 Stamps. I felt like this was a longer Mario game then most. Clocked in at 21:30. I wasn't expecting so many post-game levels. It's basically like the real game starts after you defeat Bowser. I still put the Galaxy games on a higher tier but this is definitely up there.

My save file only has 4 shining stars, though. I was missing 5 stamps and looked up on where to get them and did a big NOPE when I read you have to beat each level with each character. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but there's no way in hell I'm replaying the game another 4 times.

I'm hoping Nintendo makes a more open world Mario game next.

Apparently what people do is just go through each level again with one character, and when they reach the flagpole they boot up the other controllers in multiplayer so the remaining characters who haven't completed the level can touch the flagpole as well (though I think they all have to touch it within a few seconds of the first player doing so). That way you only have to go through each level one more time.

I'm sure the levels go pretty quickly since you don't have to worry about green stars or hitting the top of the flagpole, but yeah it seems like a bit of a hassle (especially with the post-game levels) just to get that fifth star, and I was fine just getting all 380 stars, golden flags and stamps.

BizzyBum

Apparently what people do is just go through each level again with one character, and when they reach the flagpole they boot up the other controllers in multiplayer so the remaining characters who haven't completed the level can touch the flagpole as well (though I think they all have to touch it within a few seconds of the first player doing so). That way you only have to go through each level one more time.

I didn't think of that, but it's not that important for me to do that. lol

I'm sure the levels go pretty quickly since you don't have to worry about green stars or hitting the top of the flagpole, but yeah it seems like a bit of a hassle (especially with the post-game levels) just to get that fifth star, and I was fine just getting all 380 stars, golden flags and stamps.

That's true, too. The subsequent playthroughs would be much faster since I could blaze through the levels without collecting anything. Still, like you, I'm content with the 4 star save. lol

McNum

Got this game a couple of weeks ago along with my Wii U, and it's pretty fun. Been playing nearly exclusively as Peach, for the novelty of it. It's about time Peach got her hands on a Fire Flower.

Made it up to the seventh world, and I think I have every green star up to that point. At least for every stage I've played, I have a full set. And wow did Bowser expand his castle in this one. I didn't expect the seventh world to be World Castle. Big, scary, fiery castle, lava flowing everywhere, and down in front, Peach in a pink cat costume. Clearly the castle stands no chance.

Top Bottom