• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Just saw it on sale for 7.49, holy crap I didn't know they charge $15 for this game usually. I will hold off a little longer since I already have held off this long.

Monroeski said:
I really don't care to wander around in these levels until I find all the secrets, it's enough for me to just know where they are and perform the skills to obtain them.
I agree. I think the game is more about skill than exploring and finding things.

Jasoco

Banned
How do I get it when I already own it? I'm not buying the bundle since that would be stupid as hell (I own every single game on that thing and spent $15 just to have the Mac version when it came out!) so there has to be a way to get Steam to download it. HOW?!

Will it fix itself by tomorrow? Any Mac users have any luck?? Aside from ones who bought the bundle.

Im_Special

Jasoco said:
How do I get it when I already own it? I'm not buying the bundle since that would be stupid as hell (I own every single game on that thing!) so there has to be a way to get Steam to download it. HOW?!

Will it fix itself by tomorrow? Any Mac users have any luck?? Aside from ones who bought the bundle.
From his blog

I think can all stop pretending we like OSX now...but anyway, just for you I finished the Mac port of Super Meat Boy the other night and its also being released for this party!!! So yeah you can buy that too...and we made sure it was discounted for all you Mac-o-philes that have been so patiently waiting for it. Also if you already own the pc version YOU GET THE MAC VERSION FOR FREE!

So you don't have to re-buy anything to get the Mac version, and the Steam page probably won't update until tomorrow.

Jasoco

Banned
Probably not. I know we're getting it for free, but I guess Steam has to update something for it to show. Goshdarnit. I want to play nowwwwww!!!

I really hope it plays well on a C2D. Not that I'll have it for much longer as I'll eventually have an i5, but still..... Hopefully it's a well done port.

Jonnyram

Jasoco said:
Weird because it has a Mac version and an iOS version. Why wouldn't it be on Steam too?
This annoys the fuck out of me. The Mac version was published by Ambrosia, and Steam doesn't allow two versions to be published by different publishers (this is why some stuff is not available cross-region also).

Introversion was in the same position for the longest time (all their Mac versions were published by Ambrosia), but they worked out a deal and the Mac versions got put on Steam this summer. I hope Aquaria will make it eventually.

Gomu Gomu

So my brother, who hasn't played any platformer for like the past 15 years, wanted to play the game, because he's heard some good things about it. I thought, hey why not? It'll be cool to see him stumble around playing it. Lo and behold, he was running, jumping and clearing levels one after another without dying a lot. He actually finished the first world (The Jungle) without much of a fight. He was playing the game like he never really quit gaming. He finished a number of levels from the second world, then got bored with it, and how frustrating the levels have become.

Now my question is: Did my almost non-gamer brother know how to play it immediately because the controls and the feel of the character are super smooth, responsive, accurate and intuitive? Or is it that my brother still has it in him to be a "hardcore gamer"?

Personally, I think it's the former. Along with brilliant level design, everything about controlling Meat Boy is what makes this game my favorite 2D platformer.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jasoco said:
How do I get it when I already own it? I'm not buying the bundle since that would be stupid as hell (I own every single game on that thing and spent $15 just to have the Mac version when it came out!) so there has to be a way to get Steam to download it. HOW?!

I don't think it's up on Steam yet. When it goes up the store page will show the Steamplay logo and the SMB page on your Library will show an install button.

Gomu Gomu said:
Now my question is: Did my almost non-gamer brother know how to play it immediately because the controls and the feel of the character are super smooth, responsive, accurate and intuitive? Or is it that my brother still has it in him to be a "hardcore gamer"?

Personally, I think it's the former. Along with brilliant level design, everything about controlling the Meat Boy is what makes this game my favorite 2D platformer.

i think it's the former too. it channels super mario with its tight and momentum-based controls.

Tucah

you speak so well
I always check this thread when it's bumped hoping for news on the Mac version but expecting to be disappointed. BUT IT'S ACTUALLY COMING SOON?

Holy shit.

Jasoco

Banned
igzsehRxCNxHr.PNG

YES IT IS GODDAMMIT! LET ME DOWNLOAD!!!

Chuckpebble

So I can't change resolution, go full screen, or quit without closing the window. Also, warps crash right after the animation. Sad face.

Chuckpebble

Yeah, I just poked around their twitter feed. They seem pretty on top of things. Said they had one machine to dev on and one Lion machine to test on over remote.

Game plays fine in the meantime, just avoiding the warps and the other stuff is minor. Kinda dislike that the save data is stored in the app bundle though.

Jasoco

Banned
Hopefully it will update soon. I posted on their forum about the bugs.

They stickied my thread and turned it into an announcement.

http://supermeatboy.com/forum/index.php/topic,2181.0.html

Keep an eye there, hopefully as fixes come they will mention them there.

Also, I hate to say it, but Super Meat Boy (A game programmed in native code) launches about 20 times faster than Binding of Isaac (A game built in Flash with ActionScript) on my MacBook Pro with SSD. (5 seconds vs. upwards of 1 minute.) Isaac takes an ungodly amount of time to load and is nowhere near as big. That's some bad programming right there. The difference between Team Meat's programmer and Florian Himml or whatever his name is. Plus SMB counts my play time correctly whereas Isaac doesn't. Someone please get the team that did this port to redo Isaac. Seriously.

Chuckpebble

So um, I've heard of 'glitch' levels, and from context, they seem intentional. But I keep experiencing things that can't be intentional, like passing through geometry randomly, and suddenly getting rocketed off the level by nothing at all. Also, the second boss is very glitchy. The stage doesn't scroll for me half the time. When it does, I lose my ability to wall jump half of those times. Guess I'll put this down for a bit now.

One thing that I know is not a bug and I really dislike is how walls suck you in. NSMB does that and I hate it. Metroid Zero Mission is how it should be.

They stickied my thread and turned it into an announcement.

Hey hey, that was you, nice. You'll probably recognize another name in there ;)

Welcome to the club Mac users! :p The PC version is still a tad bugged, especially on low-mid spec machines. Can you guy's upload chapters in Super World World yet?

Anyway, I'm sure Tommy will get everything sorted in the next few weeks but it'll always probably be slightly buggy. The clipping through walls, lag, and other assorted glitches I'm hearing about is the same stuff us PC users went through.

Jasoco

Banned
Seems from my thread everyone has the same problems. Which is good because it's easier to fix something everyone can see than something only certain people have.

SOON I HOPE! I really want to play mucho amounts. Anyone with a 13" Air have this game? How does it run? I may be getting my Air on Tuesday. (I'm coming from a Core2Duo Pro.)

As a game programmer dabbler myself, the glitching through walls is caused by the player speed (Pixels per second) * delta time being more than the width of a tile. Something to expect with a character that can run really fast. As long as the game doesn't lag, and has a constant framerate, the speed * dt will never exceed a tile width. But when a lag happens, the delta time rises a lot. Causing the distance to move the player to be more than a tile width. Delta time being the amount of time between the previous frame and the current one. If the game stays at a constant exact 60FPS, DT would always be 0.01666666666667 seconds. (0.03333333333333 if 30FPS) Bottom line, they should have attached an upper limit (Math.max) to DT to keep it from ever exceeding a specific speed. That way if a lag happens, you'll simply get a pause instead of frame skipping.

/Pr0grammer Sp33k

Seems from my thread everyone has the same problems. Which is good because it's easier to fix something everyone can see than something only certain people have.

SOON I HOPE! I really want to play mucho amounts. Anyone with a 13" Air have this game? How does it run? I may be getting my Air on Tuesday. (I'm coming from a Core2Duo Pro.)

As a game programmer dabbler myself, the glitching through walls is caused by the player speed (Pixels per second) * delta time being more than the width of a tile. Something to expect with a character that can run really fast. As long as the game doesn't lag, and has a constant framerate, the speed * dt will never exceed a tile width. But when a lag happens, the delta time rises a lot. Causing the distance to move the player to be more than a tile width. Delta time being the amount of time between the previous frame and the current one. If the game stays at a constant exact 60FPS, DT would always be 0.01666666666667 seconds. (0.03333333333333 if 30FPS) Bottom line, they should have attached an upper limit (Math.max) to DT to keep it from ever exceeding a specific speed. That way if a lag happens, you'll simply get a pause instead of frame skipping.

/Pr0grammer Sp33k
dont tell us this. tweet it to edmund or the other guy, they can do something about it more than we can lol.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm just typing random stuff. I'm sure they are well aware of what they did and chose not to limit it for a reason. Or just didn't because they never expected lag to be really bad.

Edit: Tommy Refenes doesn't seem to have a Twitter, besides, if it was outsourced I doubt they'd care.

Tunavi

Banned
I'm just typing random stuff. I'm sure they are well aware of what they did and chose not to limit it for a reason. Or just didn't because they never expected lag to be really bad.

Edit: Tommy Refenes doesn't seem to have a Twitter, besides, if it was outsourced I doubt they'd care.
Team meat cares, they bought a brand new Mac to test out the bugs yesterday.

Or it could just be programmed poorly. SMB is an awesome game but the types of bugs and strange difficulty they had getting an OSX port out gives me the impression Team Meat aren't exactly 133t c0d3Rz. Not that there's anything wrong with that. A big part of the indie revolution has been gobs of cheap processor power allowing people to concentrate on what gameplay they want to create without having to obsess about O(N*N) versus O(log N).

I can assure they're leet coders. Any game the size of Super Meat Boy (which while it may seem simple to you there are a lot of details behind the scene you don't see, and the level of polish is really quite impressive, bugs aside) that was programmed by one person is fucking impressive. As someone who programs games for a living, I can tell you hands down that the guy knows what the fuck is up.

It's totally impressive that a single person coded it. Not denying that. But if you do code for a leaving you should realize when you have a single person person doing that amount of work the resulting code probably isn't going to be all that pretty.

Bugs happen. This isn't anything new.

Anybody else here wouldn't mind paying $60-$120 for the Wii ISO of Super Meat Boy, as a rare collectors item? I would, assuming it was finished more or less. Obviously it would only run on homebrew, but that would be my proudest purchase of the year.

Jasoco

Banned
Is SMB SteamCloud capable? In that it saves to the cloud and can be played on either Mac or Windows with the same save?

Or, alternatively, is the save file for the Windows version compatible with the Mac version in that I can just copy it over between games?

Because I really want to play, but the Mac version is so buggy that I'm probably just going to reinstall Windows again until they fix it.

Tunavi

Banned
Anyone having a problem of their macbook not waking up from sleep after closing the screen after playing super meat boy?

Tunavi

Banned
Is the Mac port compatible with a X360 controller?
Yes. It must be a wired controller and you will need these two freeware programs. Its a little confusing to get enjoy program working. Button 17 is for the A button, Axis 6 High is left trigger. Keep Enjoy open and press Start to run the controls during Super Meat Boy.

this is on sale for 400 spacebucks on XBLA this week.
deal of the forever

Majukun

this is on sale for 400 spacebucks on XBLA this week.

just got it.

I've done the first level (light and dark) all with A+..but i have a few questions

the bandages are present in all the level or just some of them?i've found 8 of them in 40 Levels (20 forest light + 20 forest dark)

how many warp zone are in each "world"?

Top Bottom