• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Stick is roughly the size of the TE2+ but a solid rectangle instead of the shape of it.

Feels a little heavier than it as well. I'm a fan of the hayabusa lever and buttons so if you like them then youll be good. I'll have to play some games with it to see how it feels overall but from first impressions it is a pretty quality stick.

Also I've never played a 3d fighter with a stick so that'll be interesting at first.

panzone

Just a suggestion since it's my first time modding an arcade stick.

So, I've modded my Venom arcade stick with sanwa pieces and everything works as expected. However I want to change the artwork and I printed one, but how can I cut the holes for the buttons? There is an "easy" way to do it? I've already destroyed one print.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, I need to build a custom stick for a supergun. What's the recommended approach for this? I'm thinking it might be easiest to get a custom cabinet and a PCB and go from there... but I frankly don't even know where to start.

Orayn

So, I need to build a custom stick for a supergun. What's the recommended approach for this? I'm thinking it might be easiest to get a custom cabinet and a PCB and go from there... but I frankly don't even know where to start.

I saw a video of a modern supergun video that supported USB joysticks. Has that part of your build been decided yet?

Got mine in a few hours ago. Won't be able to play on it until I get home later today.

k2GRpaG.jpg

Got mine when I picked it up on pre-order at my local GameStop's launch event. 24 hours later, I'm quite happy with it. I'm coming from the HRAP V Hayabusa Silent. Much better ergonomics all around, and better quality of life features, like having the L3/R3/Share and switch panel on the face of the stick rather than tucked under on the right side.

Great stick. After owning a MadCatz TES back on 360, MadCatz TE2 on PS4, HRAP V Hayabusa Silent, and now the HRAP T7 edition, gotta say I like the T7 the most.

Dang near went with a Razer Panthera instead, kinda glad I saved a bit of money and just got the HRAP T7.

Got mine when I picked it up on pre-order at my local GameStop's launch event. 24 hours later, I'm quite happy with it. I'm coming from the HRAP V Hayabusa Silent. Much better ergonomics all around, and better quality of life features, like having the L3/R3/Share and switch panel on the face of the stick rather than tucked under on the right side.

Great stick. After owning a MadCatz TES back on 360, MadCatz TE2 on PS4, HRAP V Hayabusa Silent, and now the HRAP T7 edition, gotta say I like the T7 the most.

Dang near went with a Razer Panthera instead, kinda glad I saved a bit of money and just got the HRAP T7.
Nice!

I'm now very curious.

It's starting to look like GameStop has the EU publishing rights to the Tekken stick.

So if your country doesn't have a GameStop, you're SOL.

DiGiKerot

Just a suggestion since it's my first time modding an arcade stick.

So, I've modded my Venom arcade stick with sanwa pieces and everything works as expected. However I want to change the artwork and I printed one, but how can I cut the holes for the buttons? There is an "easy" way to do it? I've already destroyed one print.

I've always used a swivel-head craft knife for cutting button holes in art, and used the plexi overlay as a template in the specific case of the Venom.

I was looking at those new Tekken sticks in the store earlier. Was tempted, but I only really like the design on the XBone one, which I have absolutely zero use for. Bummer.

Laws00

I want that HRAP T7 edition for the Xbox One but I can't justify it because the only fighter i have on it is Killer Instinct.

Not to mention all these damn birthdays (my moms today), and friends in 2 weeks. Fathers day, and I got to renew my Xbox live and Playstation subscriptions which happen to be the following after this Sunday.

Filter

Looks like that HRAP T7 stick is the same body as the soul calibur v stick they released a few years ago. I still use mine all the time. It's my favourite stick, it's a good shape and weight and the buttons are all in good places (it even has that fancy hideaway start button like a fighter pilot missile button). They used to come with Sanwa parts, but I guess it's their own proprietary buttons now.

hori_scv_stick_ps3.jpg

Wallach

This guy just showed up today:

Have to say, despite being kind of unhappy with the wait time & slow communication, this thing looks and feels great. Heavier than I expected for a full acrylic build, doesn't feel hollow or weak structurally. Only build quality criticism I have is that there is clearly some dust trapped between the art and the top acrylic panel. Aside from that I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Dachande

Yeeeeeeah nice, especially in a Tekken stick.

I finally modded the stick I got for Christmas in time for Tekken 7. A friend at work very kindly made the artwork for me based off a sketch and the repro panel artwork, and I love how it turned out. Going to reprint the artwork on thick metallic silver paper with the appropriate metal bits transparented out in the file and, uh, make sure I cut it far more carefully next time.

To finish this off, I'd really like to paint the case white. Does anyone have any idea how I'd go about doing that? The surface isn't smooth, so I don't know if I'd need to sand it or not, etc.

Have to say, despite being kind of unhappy with the wait time & slow communication, this thing looks and feels great. Heavier than I expected for a full acrylic build, doesn't feel hollow or weak structurally. Only build quality criticism I have is that there is clearly some dust trapped between the art and the top acrylic panel. Aside from that I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

That thing looks great!

febLey

I can't decide:

Should I get the Venom Arcade for 89€ and mod it with Sanwa Parts for 69€
> Total 158€

Or just get a Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai 4 for 150€

Uraizen

Banned

Looks good, you even picked out the same colors I did. Can't wait to get mine.

Orayn

Drove 20 minutes today in hopes of getting a Tekken 7 stick at Gamestop. Someone bought the last one a few minutes before I got there, and Amazon says "ships in 1-2 months."

Regular 'ol HRAP it is, then!

SCB3

So been playing Tekken 7 all weekend with my new Venom stick and I gotta admit, this is definitely the way to play the game, though I'm still getting used to my finger placement on default (I may move O/ Mid kick to the R1 button as its where my right index finger is usually placed)

Hassun

Neo Member
The Razer Panthera has has all the functionality I need for under €250 except the ability to mount levers with collars like the Myoungshin Fanta or the Crown 309 Helpme.

There has to be some sort of detailed guide or instruction set somewhere to mod a Panthera to accept them. Markman please.

SnakeEyez

So I'm having issues with my TE2+ stick and was hoping somebody could help me with it. At times, even the slightest movement of the cable will disconnect the controller. I'm assuming it's an issue with the cable so I'm looking to buy a replacement if possible. If there any place I can find them?

Tripon

So I'm having issues with my TE2+ stick and was hoping somebody could help me with it. At times, even the slightest movement of the cable will disconnect the controller. I'm assuming it's an issue with the cable so I'm looking to buy a replacement if possible. If there any place I can find them?

Might be the PCB.

Inumbris

Hi all, to date my experience with fighting games has been pretty casual outside of Smash Bros. and a bit of Soulcalibur II back in the Gamecube days.

However, on the recommendation of a friend, I picked up Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 on Steam and am absolutely loving it! I'm enjoying it so much that I'm now seriously considering grabbing an arcade stick and seeing what it's like to use one.

Since I've never fought with an arcade stick in my life, I don't really know where to start. So I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, as well as general features one should consider when in the market for a stick?

The only requirement I have is that it work on PC, but PS4 compatibility would be an added bonus. Thanks!

Laws00

HORI Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa Tekken 7 Edition Fight Stick for Xbox One

Buy new : $ 179 99

Platform: Xbox One, Xbox 360

Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.

What the FUCK

DiGiKerot

I can't decide:

Should I get the Venom Arcade for 89€ and mod it with Sanwa Parts for 69€
> Total 158€

Or just get a Hori Real Arcade Pro Kai 4 for 150€

Making the presumption you are talking about the refreshed HRAP with the Hayabusa buttons given how long that thing has been around at this point - if it's inexplicably Kuro stock, this doesn't apply.

Basically, though, if you haven't got a ton of investment and experience in the Sanwa parts, or any kind of overwhelming preference of them, and you'd absolutely be dropping the extra to mod it if you got the Venom, I'd find it difficult not to recommend the HRAP.

I mean, writing off components, the benefit on the Venoms side is that it's easy to modify/replace the art in it. If the look of the stick is a big thing for you, this is good.

On the other hand, the HRAP gets you proper xInput support on PC, and touchpad support, and a couple of other minor niceties I'm probably forgetting. Functionally, it's probably the better option.

I'm now very curious.

Feel like I need to justify my statement with slightly more robust commentary.

First of all, as said, ergonomics coming out of my most recent stick purchase -- which is the HRAP V Hayabusa Silent (PS4/PS3/PC) -- is vastly improved over the stick experience I've had the last year. It's not that Hayabusa is at all unusable or even grossly off the mark in any way, but it does feel a bit cramped compared to my previous MadCatz sticks, and it's good to get back to a larger profile with the HRAP T7. Its weight and sturdy, though admittedly one big thing I miss is the easy-access for button and stick replacement that was in the TE2 with the flip-open top panel.

On the feel of Hori's buttons and stick, I personally feel as if they feel just slightly better than traditional Sanwa parts that tend to be favored in the stick community. They seem to have a bit more of a tactile give and snap than Sanwa parts, and again the tactile sensation is a step up from my Hayabusa Silent, which felt spongy and kinda dull to work with, but the Hori buttons definitely seem a bit quieter than Sanwa stuff, despite the actual press sensation being similar. Also, the smaller button size (I think 24mm?) is a welcome change to me, something I don't think I've personally experienced with a stick before. I'm finding my fingers, despite being long and reachable, able to reach inputs a lot easier, especially "fringe" inputs to the far right of the button lineups. It's helped by the curvature of the buttons too, rather than the fringe buttons kind of flattening out into a straight horizontal row.

Finally, coming out of that Hayabusa for the past year, the button arrangement existing almost entirely on the top panel (aside from the touchpad) is great, and it now includes a microphone port -- something that's been sorely missing on all of the sticks I've owned up to this point (save for the TES back on 360). I do actually plug my earbuds into my controller pretty frequently, so this is an extremely welcome addition. Also, that start button panel is super neat, and seems to have existed on previous sticks, namely the Hori Tekken Tag 2 and Soulcalibur V sticks, which both seem to be almost exactly the same layout-wise from what I can see.

EDIT: Also worth noting that in Tekken 7 it works perfectly in "PS4" mode. The toggle only has PS4 and PS3 modes. I haven't tested it in any other game yet but I'm going to reinstall Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN (I don't own Revelator on PC yet, only on PS4) to see if it works.

I really like it a lot, and at 179.99 it seems like an extremely good value for a stick, since many of them have gone north of the $200 mark now.

Also, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to fighting games, I don't think I've ever quite gotten competitively good at a single one of them. I started using a stick when Soulcalibur II came out on Gamecube and haven't been able to play fighters any other way since, but I'm definitely no arcade-bred type, so if that perspective changes any of my opinion for you, I thought it fair to share.

Skilletor

Feel like I need to justify my statement with slightly more robust commentary.

First of all, as said, ergonomics coming out of my most recent stick purchase -- which is the HRAP V Hayabusa Silent (PS4/PS3/PC) -- is vastly improved over the stick experience I've had the last year. It's not that Hayabusa is at all unusable or even grossly off the mark in any way, but it does feel a bit cramped compared to my previous MadCatz sticks, and it's good to get back to a larger profile with the HRAP T7. Its weight and sturdy, though admittedly one big thing I miss is the easy-access for button and stick replacement that was in the TE2 with the flip-open top panel.

On the feel of Hori's buttons and stick, I personally feel as if they feel just slightly better than traditional Sanwa parts that tend to be favored in the stick community. They seem to have a bit more of a tactile give and snap than Sanwa parts, and again the tactile sensation is a step up from my Hayabusa Silent, which felt spongy and kinda dull to work with, but the Hori buttons definitely seem a bit quieter than Sanwa stuff, despite the actual press sensation being similar. Also, the smaller button size (I think 24mm?) is a welcome change to me, something I don't think I've personally experienced with a stick before. I'm finding my fingers, despite being long and reachable, able to reach inputs a lot easier, especially "fringe" inputs to the far right of the button lineups. It's helped by the curvature of the buttons too, rather than the fringe buttons kind of flattening out into a straight horizontal row.

Finally, coming out of that Hayabusa for the past year, the button arrangement existing almost entirely on the top panel (aside from the touchpad) is great, and it now includes a microphone port -- something that's been sorely missing on all of the sticks I've owned up to this point (save for the TES back on 360). I do actually plug my earbuds into my controller pretty frequently, so this is an extremely welcome addition. Also, that start button panel is super neat, and seems to have existed on previous sticks, namely the Hori Tekken Tag 2 and Soulcalibur V sticks, which both seem to be almost exactly the same layout-wise from what I can see.

EDIT: Also worth noting that in Tekken 7 it works perfectly in "PS4" mode. The toggle only has PS4 and PS3 modes. I haven't tested it in any other game yet but I'm going to reinstall Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN (I don't own Revelator on PC yet, only on PS4) to see if it works.

I really like it a lot, and at 179.99 it seems like an extremely good value for a stick, since many of them have gone north of the $200 mark now.

Also, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to fighting games, I don't think I've ever quite gotten competitively good at a single one of them. I started using a stick when Soulcalibur II came out on Gamecube and haven't been able to play fighters any other way since, but I'm definitely no arcade-bred type, so if that perspective changes any of my opinion for you, I thought it fair to share.

I agree with all of this. Hori's standard HRAP is too small for my liking, and the VLX layout they use isn't my favorite. This case is large, heavier, and has the far superior noir layout with space between buttons and sticks.

Also agree with the hayabusa buttons. I like them a lot more than regular sanwa (sanwa rg buttons still my favorite), and as I've said numerous times in this thread: hayabusa stick + 2lb spring = perfection.

I agree with all of this. Hori's standard HRAP is too small for my liking, and the VLX layout they use isn't my favorite. This case is large, heavier, and has the far superior noir layout with space between buttons and sticks.

Also agree with the hayabusa buttons. I like them a lot more than regular sanwa (sanwa rg buttons still my favorite), and as I've said numerous times in this thread: hayabusa stick + 2lb spring = perfection.

Seconded. I am really liking this stick so far. I've been too lazy to put a 2lb spring in my T7 stick though...

Also are the matte finish on these buttons different from the first release of them? I don't know what it is but they feel a little different to the touch than the black ones I got last year.

I wish they would have offered other color options on the stick though. Getting tired of everything for PS4 being black.

Skilletor

Seconded. I am really liking this stick so far. I've been too lazy to put a 2lb spring in my T7 stick though...

Also are the matte finish on these buttons different from the first release of them? I don't know what it is but they feel a little different to the touch than the black ones I got last year.

I wish they would have offered other color options on the stick though. Getting tired of everything for PS4 being black.

I want the white stick so bad.

Top Bottom