• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3

Mandoric

Banned
After a few months' wait from the impressive preview imagery, and a last-minute two-week delay, the latest game in the Super Robot Wars series has finally released. Having received my copy a couple days ago, and played in nearly all my free time since then, I figured I'd give a few impressions:

The lineup's great. Dancougar and Eva are both back, with Gunbuster as well; and they've rolled out everyone's favorite galaxy-obliterator, Ideon, to do his "densetsu no kyojin no chikara / ginga kirisaku" schtick. For a recent real-robot addition, I would have rather had Full Metal Panic than Gundam SEED, but on the other hand SEED leads to a profusion of Haros to decorate the cockpits of your aces. And there's Macross DYRL, Plus, -and- 7 in to fill in a bunch of reals that aren't overly whiny.

System is vastly improved from Alpha 2---no more slowdown, no more hires shudder, no more load times, and actual difficulty. Keeping up enough skill to stay on hard mode means the AI is as bloodthirsty as it was in the SNES era, most supers take damage almost like in D, and units -don't- gain morale when an enemy is killed unless they did it, or at least fought that enemy before---the days of building up those last few points for a sure kill by having your fodder take out some enemy fodder are over. Also, the new music system is excellent---no more listening to Anime Ja Nai, and the first time seeing Jeeg appear to the CCA main theme is pure comedy gold.

Storyline, except for as relates to SEED's lame shoehorning into UC, is good. There's an honest feel of desperate battle about it, and the writers aren't afraid to do things like
have the player control SRX while a Balmar commander wrecks it, incidentally killing Aya
even given her popularity.

And, of course, the characters interact to a high degree---there's a kind of dividedness of opinions and aims among the heroes that hasn't been seen, while at least Kusuha and Bullet are getting more development as original characters, even though they're both straightforward, than was seen in 2. (There's also the absolute best "special drink" scene ever.)

While there are a few nitpicks, mostly related to either the inclusion of SEED and its implementation or information gleaned from datafile examination that almost point to a second Gaiden, so far it's an excellent sendoff to the Alpha series, and probably the best addition to the overall series yet, bringing together the best of the old and new.

(In addition, for any of you playing Kusuha route, I've been taking notes on my playthrough, with rough translations; it's available here.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't get the SEED dislike among SRW players :\ I notice that most of the posters on the gamefaqs board aren't too happy about SEED inclusion either. I'm a pretty big UC fan but I really liked SEED also and that they were able to fit it in and give me FREEDOM in a SRW game is a major plus for the game IMO. I love Virtual-On too, so I'm pretty happy with the additions in this game.

Mandoric

Banned
Heh. I'm not really anti-SEED, in particular; I just don't like it as much as UC, which is also in, so it tends to suffer a bit in comparision. It's not like Kira is getting exiled to the "last line of defense, Ra Cailum briefing room coffeepot" position like, say, Wufei, just that it's a bit obvious that it's a last-minute addition that would have worked better running concurrent with UC rather than as a change in plans made before it started airing.
I especially look forward to its next appearance, where hopefully Destiny will be in and we'll have more mature versions of the characters.

As for SRWGC... I haven't played it, but I've heard that it's quirky, not Alpha-level, but not bad. I wish I could say more.

I just ordered it and the Freeloader so I guess I'm out only $40 if its bad. I just remember enjoying the hell out of Super Robot Wars 4 on SFC via emulator. I just hope its not crippling difficult.

new music system is probably my favorite enhancement from MX.

also notable are the "text log" (you can re read dialogue in the current scene / mission)
hilighted keywords with popup definitions

some sort of squad saving system which i havent figured out yet, but i THINK it lets you create squads and save the configs in case they change for quick loading late

you can now speed up battle animations by holding circle, or dump out of them by hitting x

new hit %'s screens popupable for all the wierd support attack options you can excersize while beating up on the bad guys.

TONS of dynamic finishes on battle animations.

a long ass 5+ minute CG intro that will bring tears to robot fanboys eyes

Top Bottom