• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surround sound vs headphones experience

Which one is a better audio experience?

• Physical surround sound speakers

Votes: 73 64.6%
  • Good headphones

Votes: 40 35.4%

• Total voters

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Hi guys. A quick help on this audio related query would be really appreciated as there is a really good deal of the day on amazon :p

I've been thinking of upgrading my audio experience, mainly for gaming and movies. I've a really good soundbar (LG SL6Y) but its not surround sound. To make it 5.1 surround sound I can buy rear wireless speakers (for ~$150 as part of amazon deal, usual price ~$200). Or I can get a new good set of headphones altogether and keep the soundbar as is.

The pros of soundbar+surround is that its true 5.1, the physical sensation and placement of sound can be exhilarating and usually headphones cant replicate that. The pros of new headphones is that they dont take as much space, no wire hassle etc and can be enjoyed at loud sounds at night too.

So are there any headphones which will be as good or better in about the same price range? Or should I go with the rear speakers only?

Edit-I went ahead with the rear speakers then. Not only majority here sides with physical surround, but as luck would have it, today i got another 5% off coupon on Amazon and 10% off on my credit card. So the price fell down another 15% over and above the 20% it had fallen before. And the first price was 30% off on MRP anyway. So effectively I got it at about 40% of MRP. Close to $100 only. Couldn't pass the deal.

Last edited:

Hudo

Headphones, always. But a major part for me is also that I can blend everyone and everything out with headphones.
You can already get quite good ones for 140€, like the BeyerDynamic DT 990 and that will have a sound quality above and beyond what you can get for the same amount in terms of a physical system.

Headphones are nice and can be really immersive, but nothing imho is better than a good sounding, clear 5.1, 7.1, etc full surround sound system with a good subwoofer or two. Not only will it sound like you are literally in the world you are experiencing, but if you get the right subwoofer, you, your friends, family and your room can feel the sound as well. That last part might not be a pro to everyone though.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Generally speaking I never use headphones at home unless it’s about recording and mixing music.

But is surround sound through a soundbar+wireless speakers actually good? Maybe it is, I don’t know, I’ve only had the normal surround sound systems. Today I have an Atmos system with 7 speakers plus sub.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Headphones, always. But a major part for me is also that I can blend everyone and everything out with headphones.
You can already get quite good ones for 140€, like the BeyerDynamic DT 990 and that will have a sound quality above and beyond what you can get for the same amount in terms of a physical system.

Will it support PS5 too? I plan to use for both PC and PS5 gaming.

Both really.

I like my headphones but nothing can beat the sound you get from an amp on full blast.

Headphones are nice and can be really immersive, but nothing imho is better than a good sounding, clear 5.1, 7.1, etc full surround sound system with a good subwoofer or two. Not only will it sound good, but if you get the right subwoofer, you, your friends, family and your room can feel the sound as well. That last part might not be a pro to everyone though.

This is the biggest pro I feel with physical surround sound systems. Already the soundbar and its woofer blow the socks away when they get going. The whole room vibrating and you feeling those sensations is something else. I was playing FF16 yesterday and feeling those vibrations was something else. In fact that's what got me thinking that how much better it would be if I got rear speakers too.

Generally speaking I never use headphones at home unless it’s about recording and mixing music.

But is surround sound through a soundbar+wireless speakers actually good? Maybe it is, I don’t know, I’ve only had the normal surround sound systems. Today I have an Atmos system with 7 speakers plus sub.

The soundbar itself is amazing. I have only seen the reviews for the rear speakers and they seem to be good. If they are half as good as the soundbar, I should be set.

I've got a pair of Corsair Virtuoso which work well for an immersive experience. I do also have a 5.1 system but the neighbour complains when I have the subwoofer on - doesn't sound much to me but it does thrum through the house. Headphones enable me to watch and play without any worry of pissing my neighbour or girlfriend off.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

If u have the possibility to set up a 7.1 system correctly in your gaming room and can crank up the volume to get most out of the subwoofer, Headphones aren´t even close.

Problem is: Most living rooms make it hard to set up a surround system correctly, so it is best to use a dedicated room for that, i.e. a "mancave". Another thing is the volume. If u live for rent and have neighbors in the same house, they will hate you when u use a subwoofer.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I asked the same thing not that long ago,
But once you dial in a sound that you like on a surround set up its a completely different ball game.

As others have said surround allows you to feel the sound as much as the detail, whereas headphones will allow you get immersed as you hear all the details and your immediate attention is to the sound in your ears.

I find with surround sound I can easily chill with a podcast or something on and play a game, I do it all the time which can actually ruin some scenes in games, sometimes I pause the podcast to hear the game but Ive missed half the context.

I went through a phase of collecting high end headphones and none of them compare to physically based SS.

Fredrik

The soundbar itself is amazing. I have only seen the reviews for the rear speakers and they seem to be good. If they are half as good as the soundbar, I should be set.
Well then you just need to decide if you rather want the isolated tighter headphones experience.
I would go with the speakers. But that’s a personal preference, like I said I don’t really use headphones.

nowhat

I have an LG SL9Y soundbar, which is like an improved version of what OP has, and combined with wireless rear speakers I've been really satisfied. Technically the soundbar supports Atmos, but that's more marketing - but it does have four front-facing speakers and two upwards speakers, so I guess there's some additional "height" there. The subwoofer is completely enough for an apartment building, too much even. The rear speakers are quite small but do their task just fine. And the result is very compact / apartment-friendly.

So as to OP, just get the rear speakers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I have an LG SL9Y soundbar, which is like an improved version of what OP has, and combined with wireless rear speakers I've been really satisfied. Technically the soundbar supports Atmos, but that's more marketing - but it does have four front-facing speakers and two upwards speakers, so I guess there's some additional "height" there. The subwoofer is completely enough for an apartment building, too much even. The rear speakers are quite small but do their task just fine. And the result is very compact / apartment-friendly.

So as to OP, just get the rear speakers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

So nice to find someone who is already using those speakers (SPK 8S I assume?). BTW how have you setup the rear speakers? Did you buy separate speaker stands for those?

Chukhopops

If you have an Atmos compatible setup for gaming then absolutely nothing beats it, properly implemented the experience is magical. I use Sonos + satellites so far but want to buy one of those fancy €2,000 soundbars with an array of integrated speakers, I tried it at a friend's place and it's really impressive.

Headphones are good when the kids are sleeping but everything feels flattened, it's only logical when there are fewer channels.

Fredrik

👍 Sounds like you can guide the OP well there.

Regarding upwards facing speakers, it’s not too bad I think, the idea is that the sound is bouncing in the ceiling and then down to the listener, placing something in the ceiling is always better of course but I think it’s okay enough to improve the sound.

nowhat

So nice to find someone who is already using those speakers (SPK 8S I assume?). BTW how have you setup the rear speakers? Did you buy separate speaker stands for those?
Yeah, those are the ones. I have a pair of tilting speaker mounts (so I can adjust their direction instead of just having them point forwards) attached to the wall behind the couch. Note that the speakers don't come with any kind of mounting kit by default (there's a single screw hole on the back of each), so you may have to get a bit creative (I don't know if there's any official wall-mounting accessory, I just bought el cheapo generic mounts).

Hudo

Will it support PS5 too? I plan to use for both PC and PS5 gaming.
I am actually not sure. But you can buy a DAC that you can plug in via USB into the PS4/PS5 (and PC) and do it that way, I suppose. However, I remember plugging my DT990 Pro into my Xbox One controller and it worked.

violence

Headphones aren’t comfortable for me unless I wear earbuds. My ears get really hot. I don’t live in a cold state.

El Muerto

Speakers for true surround sound. I do not like the virtual surround sound for headphones, still sounds like stereo to me.

b0bbyJ03

The experience is so different. I feel like I prefer headphones when i'm playing multiplayer shooters but prefer surround sound for story games. really depends.

I find that virtual surround with headphones kind of trains your brain to think of certain sounds as being behind or in front of you, but they don't sound natural in the same way a proper 5.1 or 7.1 setup sounds. But yeah in a pinch headphones are fine

Elog

A quality surround system is better than quality headphones. However, the surround system that beats 100-200 USD headphones cost a very large multiple of that and requires correct room placement et cetera.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It really depends on your situation. If you can't turn your speakers up enough to shake the rafters, you need headphones.

Fbh

Speakers are better IMO but I mostly play at night and since I don't live alone I mainly use headohones

Eotheod

I can't beat my surround sound now that I invested in bone conduction earphones for voice. I can now completely take in the beauty of my Logitech speakers while still being able to speak on Discord and not miss a beat. Heck, can even respond to fiance if she asks me something which is a bonus

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Speakers for true surround sound. I do not like the virtual surround sound for headphones, still sounds like stereo to me.

I find that virtual surround with headphones kind of trains your brain to think of certain sounds as being behind or in front of you, but they don't sound natural in the same way a proper 5.1 or 7.1 setup sounds. But yeah in a pinch headphones are fine

Yeah I've tried software and hardware 5.1 on earphones before and couldnt really tell the difference between stereo and it.

The experience is so different. I feel like I prefer headphones when i'm playing multiplayer shooters but prefer surround sound for story games. really depends.

Headphones multiplayer, surround sound single player. Most of the time.

I am a single-player gamer only, so I guess one more point for speakers then?

Del_X

Most people have not played with actually good headphones. Really depends on the game, however.

Laptop1991

Surround sound easily, still using my Logitech Z5500 speakers and Creative Z X R, i only use headphones at night or if i want to blast Rock music

Last edited:

squarealex

Surround Sound is better. Some people choose "headphone is better" have never hearded a good Surround System.

Now the problem is the game industry are too focalised on headphone optimisation and no Surround System optimisation. So many games didnt have a good audio optimisation (or Only 2.0)

LFE are weak, bass are absent, dynamic are very bad, surround speaker under utilize

Just a simple example... The music...

The music is better on true 4.0 (better production, better presence, better "bubble effect" etc...) and Front Speaker are not satured by the music and the sound effect on the game.

Thanks god, Naughty Dog exist...

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I like headphones since thats all i mostly use due to family not excited to hear my gaming sound output, lol. I have a nice DAC setup from Schiit, a few different headphones (one was around $500), etc... I really like the headphone sound and especially for music its amazing.

However, once you go to movies and games, properly configured 5.2 or 7.2 sound especially if it has Dolby support can't be beat. Not sure about the soundbar in particular, but i am sure there are some nice ones now days.

killatopak

Tried surround sound before and it was too loud for my family especially at night. So it was headphones for me.

I really enjoy headphones though simply because of noise isolation or noise cancelling.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I have this with the rear speakers too - goes so good.

Tried surround sound before and it was too loud for my family especially at night. So it was headphones for me.

I really enjoy headphones though simply because of noise isolation or noise cancelling.

Might be a little late on this but have you tried playing with your receiver's "night mode"? Usually modern receivers have a setting that evens out the audio range so that you can turn the global volume down but still hear lower volume sound effects, and also turns down the volume of the subwoofer.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Headphones all day for me. I have 5.1 but it's been in its box for nearly a decade. Too much space and wires. I can certainly appreciate it but headphones are just so easy and convenient.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Open headphones are nearly as good as surround Sound speakers.

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
A good surround sound setup will sound much more impressive and give a significantly stronger impression that you're "there".

Good headphones will allow for more precise directional sound and more detail.

I prefer surround sound speakers for films/TV and single player games, and prefer good headphones for competitive shooting games where pinpoint directional sound is really important.

Last edited:
Buying speakers, especially wireless ones for under $200 is basically a waste of money.

Save up your money and then build an actually decent system for surround sound. Even my 7.1.2 system with all Klipsh speakers and a Polk Audio subwoofer is basically an entry level setup.

I got really lucky having my Dad start me out by buying two front channel floor speakers for like $500 a piece, the sub which I think was around $300 and side channel bookshelf speakers that I think are usually around $250-$300. I essentially had 4.1 for the longest time and it sounded great. I understand that not everyone can afford speakers like that, I certainly couldn't when I started out. But it's kind of like building gaming PC, just chip away and buy a couple speakers at a time while saving the rest of your money.

So eventually saved enough to complete my setup all at once. I bought a center channel, two more rear channel bookshelf speakers, two height channel speakers and a new 4K, 120fps Dolby Atmos compatible Yamaha receiver for around $3,000 total.

I have it all paired with an 55" LG E8 OLED that I'm still using and would like to upgrade eventually to a newer LG OLED that supports VRR and 120hz output.

Now, I do own a pair of Steel Series headphones for my PS5 specifically for multiplayer with my friends. I bought that pair because at first I bought the PS5 licensed pair and the mic on that absolutely sucks ass, you might as well use the controller mic as it's the same quality.

So now I use my PS5 headphones for my PC because the audio side of things is perfectly fine and have a Blue Yeti mic hooked up for that haha.

But I'll always lean towards surround sound for single player and movies. It's unmatched.

Top Bottom