• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surround sound vs headphones experience

Which one is a better audio experience?

• Physical surround sound speakers

Votes: 73 64.6%
  • Good headphones

Votes: 40 35.4%

• Total voters
Surround Sound is better. Some people choose headphone is better have never hearded a good Surround System.

Now the problem is the game industry are too focalised on headphone optimisation and no Surround System optimisation. So many games didnt have a good audio optimisation (or Only 2.0)

LFE are weak, bass are absent, dynamic are very bad, surround speaker under utilize

Just a simple example... The music...

The music is better on true 4.0 (better production, better presence, better "bubble effect" etc...) and Front Speaker are not the music satured by the sound effect on the game.

Thanks god, Naughty Dog exist...
Not at all man. 99% of games since PS3 use at least 5.1 audio. That is standard. It actually may be 100%. I'm not sure if I've ever encountered a game with 2 channel stereo audio.

Movies on the other hand yes, old movies are stereo.

Edit: And yes Naughty Dog's audio quality is unmatched.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Hi guys. A quick help on this audio related query would be really appreciated as there is a really good deal of the day on amazon :p

I've been thinking of upgrading my audio experience, mainly for gaming and movies. I've a really good soundbar (LG SL6Y) but its not surround sound. To make it 5.1 surround sound I can buy rear wireless speakers (for ~$150 as part of amazon deal, usual price ~$200). Or I can get a new good set of headphones altogether and keep the soundbar as is.

The pros of soundbar+surround is that its true 5.1, the physical sensation and placement of sound can be exhilarating and usually headphones cant replicate that. The pros of new headphones is that they dont take as much space, no wire hassle etc and can be enjoyed at loud sounds at night too.

So are there any headphones which will be as good or better in about the same price range? Or should I go with the rear speakers only?
Go with extra speakers.

Sound bars are thrash-tier for the same reason headphones are: it is the limitation of physical space that makes it impossible to put quality tweezers, so the sound will always be squished.

If you do not have a limitation I.e. do not want to disturb others when you game always go for better physical setup. Software will never replicate something that simply needs physical space to work.

Demigod Mac

One other negative aspect of headphones you don't see talked about often:
  • The elevated risk of permanent hearing damage over time.
With a surround speaker system it's easy enough to get an SPL meter, test and make sure your system isn't in excess of 70~75 dB.
Headphones are more difficult to measure and to know whether or not your eardrums are constantly getting pummeled with an unsafe dosage.

willothedog

Go with extra speakers.

Sound bars are thrash-tier for the same reason headphones are: it is the limitation of physical space that makes it impossible to put quality tweezers, so the sound will always be squished.

If you do not have a limitation I.e. do not want to disturb others when you game always go for better physical setup. Software will never replicate something that simply needs physical space to work.

I see we have an 'expert' here...

Lashes Lashextensions GIF by sorellelash

edgardo-sp

Neo Member
I've been using surround sound setups for many years and for more than three months now I've been using headphones because my receiver is in for service. Typically for competitive games, I'd say headphones are more useful for localising sounds, especially with virtualisation technologies like Dolby Atmos. In more atmospheric games like Skyrim or Breath of the Wild, a surround sound setup is much better for conveying a sense of scale and depth. For movies there is no argument: surround sound settings are the only way to properly enjoy cinematic sound.

Make no mistake, headphones are gods gift to mankind. And I simply cannot imagine playing games without it.

That being said, I had a 5.1 Logitech surround sound setup at my parents place. And the game I played it with:

Uncharted 2 on its release date.

And elevated the game to whole new level. It is VR for the ears. It's gives you the feeling that you're in the game itself.

From then on, every PS3 game until TLoU, was always played with surround. Sadly, when I moved out, I had no space to keep them.

Given the chance, I would absolutely get back the surround system experience. I love my headphones, but it's no replacement for that

Kumomeme

depend on your preferences and your environment condition.

both has pro and cons.

Last edited:
Will it support PS5 too? I plan to use for both PC and PS5 gaming.

This is the biggest pro I feel with physical surround sound systems. Already the soundbar and its woofer blow the socks away when they get going. The whole room vibrating and you feeling those sensations is something else. I was playing FF16 yesterday and feeling those vibrations was something else. In fact that's what got me thinking that how much better it would be if I got rear speakers too.

The soundbar itself is amazing. I have only seen the reviews for the rear speakers and they seem to be good. If they are half as good as the soundbar, I should be set.
Rear speakers can definitely enhance the experience and it can really help with directional audio and locating where sounds are coming from. It sounds more full and complete imo. I got tower speakers in the front as well as the rear which lost people don’t do. I remember when Nemesis from RE3: Remake was walking behind me in a room and my floors and even the rear walls were shaking.

I'm really happy to see the majority still appreciate the magnificence of a true surround sound setup. I'm still rocking my Logitech Z-5500 speaker system paired with a Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIE card and I honestly hope they outlive me. Headphones suck, they're only good for competitive multiplayer being a super try hard, and playing games late at night when everyone's asleep.

That's only in the mornin. You're supposed to be up cookin breakfast or something. That's like an alarm clock. Woo woo.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I went ahead with the rear speakers then. Not only majority here sides with physical surround, but as luck would have it, today i got another 5% off coupon on Amazon and 10% off on my credit card. So the price fell down another 15% over and above the 20% it had fallen before. And the first price was 30% off on MRP anyway. So effectively I got it at about 40% of MRP. Close to $100 only. Couldn't pass the deal.

DryvBy

I have both and none of that lame sound bar mess. Full on 7.1 surround sound and Arctic headsets for when my wife decides she's going to bed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
A good surround sound setup will sound much more impressive and give a significantly stronger impression that you're "there".

Good headphones will allow for more precise directional sound and more detail.

I prefer surround sound speakers for films/TV and single player games, and prefer good headphones for competitive shooting games where pinpoint directional sound is really important.
Should try a decent pair of open back headphones for shooters as for me they reproduce spatial audio much better and I get a better idea on range to targets but maybe that's just me

Generally speaking I never use headphones at home unless it’s about recording and mixing music.

But is surround sound through a soundbar+wireless speakers actually good? Maybe it is, I don’t know, I’ve only had the normal surround sound systems. Today I have an Atmos system with 7 speakers plus sub.
Depends on the setup, but the top end Samsung soundbars (990c) and the Sony HT-A9 + sub are as close as you can get without running wires for a full sound system.

I used to have a 7.1 system before I got married and had to compromise for aesthetics. I tried pretty much every popular/top rated sound bar over a few years time and 90% of them suck (mostly due to crappy subs).

Headphones are okay (open backs are best), but nothing replaces the sound, feel, and separation of a properly calibrated 7.1/Atmos HT setup

Last edited:

FrankWza

Depends on the setup, but the top end Samsung soundbars (990c) and the Sony HT-A9 + sub are as close as you can get without running wires for a full sound system.

I used to have a 7.1 system before I got married and had to compromise for aesthetics. I tried pretty much every popular/top rated sound bar over a few years time and 90% of them suck (mostly due to crappy subs).

Headphones are okay (open backs are best), but nothing replaces the sound, feel, and separation of a properly calibrated 7.1/Atmos HT setup
To me a sub is the most important part of a setup. It's a big reason why htib and soundbars arent good quality that people overlook

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Biggest detriment of "gaming" headsets. They're almost always closed. I always end up using my own setup.
Yeah I have a pair of HyperX Cloud Alphas and while the sound is ok (and they are actually very comfortable) I seem to pick up distances way better on even a cheap pair of open backs

The Philips SHP9500 can sometimes be had for $50 on Amazon and really impress me for the price

FrankWza

Yeah I have a pair of HyperX Cloud Alphas and while the sound is ok (and they are actually very comfortable) I seem to pick up distances way better on even a cheap pair of open backs

The Philips SHP9500 can sometimes be had for $50 on Amazon and really impress me for the price
I find closed headphones disorienting and unnatural. Even with IEM I change tips until I can have some air. ANC is an overrated feature as well.

Trilobit

I have no doubt that a good surround systems is superior to headphones considering immersion.

BUT:

1. I really like the focus and isolation I get from headphones. Nothing outside distracts me as I'm in my own little bubble.
2. If you don't live in a house or a soundproof apartment you must take your neighbours into consideration, which means that you must mind the volume.
3. Pertaining to number 3 of course, but a good 5.1 system requires proper space for the equipment, whereas a pair of headphones at most require a wire to have free way of travel from console to the noggin.

So all in all, at this moment headphones are personally superior to me.

Season 6 Headphones GIF by Parks and Recreation

Last edited:

RickMasters

When I’m playing multi player games…. Or say… a game like hellblade where the devs design the audio to have special processing that that is best suited to headphones… it’s gotta be my turtle beaches.

The rest of the time I like my surround.

Fredrik

Yeah I’ve used dedicated surround sound systems since when the back channels were mono, I can’t go over to headphones, I understand they can be more detailed for 3D sound but it doesn’t matter. It’s the home cinema thing for me. I just like that. And the deep punchy sound from a sub, it’s awesome.

I’ve never really been a fan of surround sound setups but I think it’s mostly because I don’t watch a ton of movies. If I’m watching tv it’s usually YouTube and I would need to turn everything off.

If I want good audio I put on headphones or pop in IEMs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’ve never really been a fan of surround sound setups but I think it’s mostly because I don’t watch a ton of movies. If I’m watching tv it’s usually YouTube and I would need to turn everything off.

If I want good audio I put on headphones or pop in IEMs.
Agreed, I still use my 1MORE Triple Driver in ears all the time out of convenience and they sound really nice

To me a sub is the most important part of a setup. It's a big reason why htib and soundbars arent good quality that people overlook
It really is though. I was pleasantly surprised by a few, but the majority of soundbar subs are awful due to the 4”-6” drivers.

Only a handful are actually worth getting and they’re on the cusp of being as expensive as a full HT setup.

K' Dash

I gave up on surround systems because using that thing properly bothers other people in the house and also neighbors.

If you have a special room for it where only you can hear it, go for it, the next best thing is a pair of GOOD headphones.

Top Bottom