• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to hit 4 teraflops?!

ultrazilla

Gold Member

The Nintendo Switch 2 may be clocked higher than expected in docked mode but "crazy low" in handheld mode to achieve better battery life, according to rumors circulating online.

During the latest episode of the Broken Silicon podcast, Moore's Law is Dead, and The Phawks commented on the power of the next Nintendo console. According to Moore's Law is Dead, people at NVIDIA wanted the console to hit 4 teraflops in docked mode, and to achieve this, the console will supposedly be clocked much higher than expected.

That is pretty much the same power as the PS4 Pro. Sounds good(if true)

And it would obviously make sense for Nintendo to underclock the handheld mode to keep battery life and heat manageable.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

the rumors have been for a while top end was ps4 pro. so maybe

Switch Next/2/NG/Whatever will use a custom SOC based of Orin. It's called T239 Drake.
It's existence was rumored ever
since 2021 by known Nvidia leaker Kopite7kimi.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

That is pretty much the same power as the PS4 Pro. Sounds good(if true)
Plus DLSS and other modern amenities should mean it hits significantly harder than the pro ever could at least in docked mode. Nintendo never aims for photorealism in their first party games and favors an art style that compliments the power of their weaker systems, so first party games should be great at least

ultrazilla

Gold Member
4TF in docked mode means 2.5~3TF in portable mode?

Doubtful as that would certainly impact heat and battery consumption. I think we'll basically get speeds for the Switch 2 handheld mode that were used for the OG Switch.

When docked, your Nintendo Switch can reach 1,020MHz on the CPU and 768 MHz on the GPU. But when you undock your console, the GPU speed drops to 307.2MHz. With Boost Mode enabled, the CPU speed can go up to 1,785MHz when docked, and the undocked GPU speed can reach 460MHz.Jun 30, 2023 Source: https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-nintendo-switch-boost-mode/

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

My assumption is that if a Nintendo specs rumor ends with ?!, it's probably false. My expectations are for the Switch 2's performance to match the Xbox Series X (in handheld mode, 6K screen).
Bait GIF

Last edited:

SHA

I could see how Mario gonna live for another millennia, soft toys could get more immerse for infinite amount of times.

Last edited:
When is the best time to trade in the Switch 1 OLED for maximum Gamestop trade in credit?
I finished Mario vs Donkey Kong and I'm ready to retire the Switch 1.

Everyone ITT READ:

TFLOPS of a Polaris+Jaguar based x86 SoC, is NOT directly comparable to TFLOPS of an Ampere + ARM Cortex based ARM64 SoC.

There are architectural differences/gains, proprietary hardware and a host of other tech that makes early comparisons based off of rumours, pointless.

DF is going to milk this system's 3rd party output comparing with PS4 and Xbone, for sure.

LordOfChaos

In half precision, maybe.

1.8-2Tflops in FP32 me thinks

Same shit went down with the original Switch with some people thinking it was way more powerful than it was with FP16, which helps with GPU formats that can use it at double rate, but that might comprise of only 15% of a game.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Around PS4 CPU processing power for sure, but wouldn't put much hopes in anything about that. You don't want the console to be unplayable in handheld mode in comparison.

Flabagast

Probably be a waste to go higher, native res games in particular look fine on my Switch Lite screen. Hell even the Vita's 960x540 screen still looks crisp. I'd take another 720p screen if it means portable can get closer to docked visual & performance
don't agree at all, I have the OLED and even native res games seems pixellated to me, and I'm talking about the most beautiful games on the platform (Luigi's Mansion 3, Nier Automata).

A 1080p screen of the same size or slightly larger would be perfect

Ozriel

M$FT
Apples to oranges comparison there.

- You can run modern games on the Steamdeck, albeit at reduced settings

- Switch 2 should be quite comfortable be more powerful than the Deck, CPU and GPU wise. So It’s quite easy to imagine ports will come with no issue.

Seems fairly straightforward here

Xellos

I'd rather have 4-5 hour battery life than the best possible performance, so I'd be happy if this were the case. I like Steam Deck but the battery life is abysmal.

I don't believe 4TF docked though. I'm expecting 1-1.5 TF portable and 2-2.5 TF docked. Also I agree with those saying the TF number isn't everything, but I think it's fun to guess anyway.

Top Bottom