• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to hit 4 teraflops?!

Draugoth

Gold Member
There's a reason why the console will be sunstantialy weaker than the PS5/XSX guys: Low price. This thing is likely going to be $300.

This would be a 10x increase in TFlops over the Tegra chip in Switch (docked 0.39 Flops). Then again, the architectures are different, we may not see anything quite so significant in real world scenarios.

Whats interesting is that the T239 (Ampere) is essentially a Nvidia Jetson AGX Orin but running at either 20% lower clocks or featuring lower CUDA core count (2048 for full chip) as the Jetson Orin is stated to be 5.3TFlop... of course thats assuming the 4TFlop estimate is accurate. It of course will have modifications (we previously heard rumblings of some additional Ada Lovelace improvements) but those appear to surround Tensor core improvements rather than core shader architecture changes.

Comparing a known 2048 shader core ampere GPU in the cut down RTX 3050 4GB (7.1 Flop) to the T239 may be a way to see ballpark gpu performance numbers. Simply deduct roughly ~44% from RTX 3050 benchmarks to gauge rough estimated performance. Surprisingly, this appears to be enough to run most AAA 3rd party games at med settings 1080p at around 30 - 60 fps depending on the game. With DLSS3 (balanced) profile we will likely end up with a lot of 1080p => 4K upscaled games @ 30 - 60 fps.

Last edited:
John Candy No GIF by Laff

My assumption is that if a Nintendo specs rumor ends with ?!, it's probably false. My expectations are for the Switch 2's performance to match the Xbox Series X (in handheld mode, 6K screen).
You're a sick bastard.

German Hops German Hops
While not aimed at me, if the rumors of it being backward compatible; fuck yeah.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If full backwards compatibility with Switch 1 is confirmed, and if the power gap is indeed this large, I sincerely hope for out of the box enhanced performance and image quality for all Switch 1 games.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
What are the chances of this having an oled screen day one? I'd love to play Mario games again, but the screen is a deal breaker.

That is pretty much the same power as the PS4 Pro. Sounds good(if true)

And it would obviously make sense for Nintendo to underclock the handheld mode to keep battery life and heat manageable.

This makes a lot of sense, there have been rumors for years that Nintendo was aiming for PS4-level performance for their next console which was assumed to be a Switch successor / Switch evolution. It seems now the rumors are doubling down on this.

4 TFLPS of compute performance is more than enough for a Nintendo console given Nintendo-made games are what sells the console anyways. Mario, Zelda, Smash etc all look great as is now, Nintendo has their own style that doesn’t need a lot of raw power. Having PS4 or PS4 Pro type performance is certainly more than enough for the vast majority of modern day games which as of right now aren’t looking that much better than their last gen counterparts anyways. I suspect the 4 TFLPS power here is really geared towards partner and third party titles.

Look forward to seeing what this ends up being, I’d be very happy with specs like this for a Switch successor.

Woopah

Nintendo's sweet spot is to have hardware capable of getting all the same third party games as Xbox Series S, while being cheaper than a PS5.

Let's see if they hit it.

There's a reason why the console will be sunstantialy weaker than the PS5/XSX guys: Low price. This thing is likely going to be $300.
There's no way Switch 2 gets priced lower than a Switch OLED
If full backwards compatibility with Switch 1 is confirmed, and if the power gap is indeed this large, I sincerely hope for out of the box enhanced performance and image quality for all Switch 1 games.
That will depend on how each Switch game was programmed.

FireFly

That is pretty much the same power as the PS4 Pro. Sounds good(if true)

And it would obviously make sense for Nintendo to underclock the handheld mode to keep battery life and heat manageable.
A 4 TF Ampere part should be roughly as fast as a 2.8 TF RDNA 2 part or a 3.5 TF GCN part. So still behind the PS4 Pro.

I hope this JRPG will be launch title for the Switch 2 since supposedly it should release early 2025.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt 👀

That looks cool but I'm hoping for a Xenoblade Chronicles 4 or new MonolithSoft JRPG in the first two years of the Switch 2 Years.

But the Japanese Third-party Support is gonna be insane. Let's just say around PS2/PS4 Levels

Top Bottom