• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to hit 4 teraflops?!

Robb

Gold Member
So do we think Nintendo will be taking a small loss on this and depart from selling all their consoles for profit?
No way Jose
w3WglQR.jpeg

gundalf

the rumors have been for a while top end was ps4 pro. so maybe

Switch Next/2/NG/Whatever will use a custom SOC based of Orin. It's called T239 Drake.
It's existence was rumored ever
since 2021 by known Nvidia leaker Kopite7kimi.

It's kinda crazy to think about that Switch 2 will rock an SoC designed in 2021 to be used from 2024 onwards for the next 5-7 years.
Can it be that good or maybe things aren't set in stone yet?

CS Lurker

It's kinda crazy to think about that Switch 2 will rock an SoC designed in 2021 to be used from 2024 onwards for the next 5-7 years.

If it is using the Samsung 8nm node (the same one Ampere GPUs use) I don't see it reaching ~1.3GHz to get "near 4TF".

Now, if they used the same node from Ada Lovelace (TSMC 4N), then I could see it reaching 2TF handheld / 4TF docked, it would be just a matter of what battery life Nintendo wants to offer. I'm absolutely fine with 3h for the more demanding titles, but maybe Nintendo isn't.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect the clock difference between handheld and docked to be any higher than 2.5 times regardless of what node they chose years ago (BTW, T239's last tapeout was in the 2nd half of 2022; it was done at the same period of Lovelace)

FireFly

Yeah. Means absolutely nothing relative to any console that currently exists. If the number is true, for example, it will CRUSH the PS4 Pro… not equal it or fall just short of it. It will CRUSH it. Comparing teraflops different generational architectures in the same brand and especially between totally different gpu brands cannot be directly compared.
You can make still rough comparisons between Ampere and RDNA 2 parts using TF figures, since the ratio between compute and fillrate, texture rate, memory bandwidth etc. generally doesn't change too much. When you do this you find that Ampere parts have about 70% of the performance of RDNA 2 parts at the same number of Teraflops. So a 4TF Switch 2 should be roughly equivalent to 2.8 TF RDNA 2 part or a 3.5 TF GCN part (PS4/PS4 Pro). So it would still be behind the PS4 Pro.

Radical_3d

My god the copium in this thread. It’s designed in 2021 as a cut back version of an older chip. Is not high end. It’s been 20 years, people. How long till you realise that Nintendo is not in the tech race? They don’t need your enthusiast tier ass.

gundalf

My god the copium in this thread. It’s designed in 2021 as a cut back version of an older chip. Is not high end. It’s been 20 years, people. How long till you realise that Nintendo is not in the tech race? They don’t need your enthusiast tier ass.

I don't see it that black and white, the OG Switch SoC may not been high end but they designed it to push for as much performance as possible with the given small thermal envelope and reaching 3 hours gameplay at full throttle.
The Switch as a mobile device being as good or better than the WiiU is definitely a testament that Nintendo is pushing for high tech and performance again.

Radical_3d

I don't see it that black and white, the OG Switch SoC may not been high end but they designed it to push for as much performance as possible with the given small thermal envelope and reaching 3 hours gameplay at full throttle.
The Switch as a mobile device being as good or better than the WiiU is definitely a testament that Nintendo is pushing for high tech and performance again.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF
Literally a down-clocked already existing part that could have been used full speed in dock or use the next generation that was in the market (the X2). Comparing its power to another Nintendo console is cheating at solitaire.
a testament that Nintendo is pushing for high tech and performance
Only GAF is a crazy enough place to be able to read this sentence.

Shut0wen

All these rumours and it'll come out with the same specs as the latest iphones, dont believe any of this shit because its never right

FireFly

I agree but a 1536 ALU part at 1 GHz would still deliver decent performance for a handheld. Ampere is old but still pretty performant and had good power efficiency even on Samsung's crappy 8nm process.

Radical_3d

I agree but a 1536 ALU part at 1 GHz would still deliver decent performance for a handheld. Ampere is old but still pretty performant and had good power efficiency even on Samsung's crappy 8nm process.
Yes of course. And it’s probably going to be my first Nintendo console in 20 years but I’m managing my expectations with the facts in mind.

Kataploom

Gold Member
One thing people have to understand before thinking Nintendo "don't like specs parity just because" is that mobile tech is advancing a way faster pace these days than home computer tech, so it's a matter of time that mobile devices are not that far ahead of home consoles since the later are also experimenting a diminishing return.

Switch has already feature parity with PS4/Xbone, hell, even the CPU cores on the Switch would be better than those console's CPUs if the Switch CPU ran at original frequency (that's AFAIK). Maybe this time around that disparity in power differences will get even closer, since that tech is already cheap enough for Nintendo's purpose.

CS Lurker

It’s designed in 2021 as a cut back version of an older chip.

Well, Lovelace isn't that different from Ampere, except for the node (the reason for at least 95% of the performance gain over the previous gen) and frame generation. Frame gen wouldn't make sense for a product like Switch 2. But the node, that would make all the difference of course, much bigger than what we saw between the TX1 in 20nm VS TX1+ in 16nm.

So, that's the part where Nintendo could end up being cheap. I won't pretend that I won't be disappointed if that's the case, as SEC 8nm really is a bad node. So bad that I can't believe they would get 4TF using it. That's the funny part, this MLID guy keep talking about performances that, if you understand the power consumption involved, you know it's not possible using the Ampere node. Nintendo isn't going to draw more than 30W even in docked mode, just like they won't have a huge gap between handheld and docked clocks. So, or we are gonna settle below 3TF in docked (which means SEC 8nm in the end) or they went with TSMC 4N, which makes this Ampere GPU basically a Lovelace GPU without the frame gen. As much as I want the latter to be true, I can totally see the former happening too.

tkscz

How? The rumor are the switches GPU will be a version of the MX570 or a RTX 2050,at 700MHz,it should be slightly over 2 Ampere TFLOPS.
I was going with the rumored 1250 CUDA cores. Also meant handheld not docked.

Switch 1 was 384Mhz in portable so why on earth Switch 2 will be close to 700mhz? 400ish maybe at best because it's Ampere but I doubt it.
Edit: Sorry I thought we are talking about portable.
OG Switch was based on a 24nm and it's rework 16nm which was why the battery life increased. For the same amount of battery as the original, they could have increased the MHz rate but chose not to. When the die shrinks it requires less power to run at the same rates. 7nm Ampere requires much less power to run at 700mhz than 24nm Maxwell.

Top Bottom