• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Users - How Do You Use Your Switch?

How do you primarily play your Switch?

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
Docked, Handheld, or Tabletop mode?

I'm just curious how most people are primarily using their Switch these days. Personally I got an OLED model at release and have never docked my Switch.

Kataploom

Gold Member
100% docked. It's too uncomfortable for using undocked to me, I've been thinking on getting a Lite for some play in bed

Reactions: Isa
Mostly docked but I actually used it handheld on a train ride recently for the first time. It was cool and made the time pass quickly but the joycons are such a step down from the pro controller it's not even funny. If the the sticks and buttons weren't so small, flimsy and low-quality I might use it more handheld.

From time to time I use it tabletop which I hadn't expected, but with the pro controller and headphones it's an amazing way to play when my girlfriend is asleep.

Sojiro

Primarily docked, it's probably like a 70/30 split. I did recently play a good bit of TotK in handheld. I play a lot of Splatoon and Monster hunter and I will only play those on the TV with a pro controller.

Last edited:
All kinds of ways depending, but the most comfortable way is docked. It is really nice I can just pick it up and set it up on a table, or in bed, or wherever though.

Bridges

When it first came out, I was taking it on trips, using tabletop mode to play Mario Kart with strangers, really getting the most out of each of the play options.

Once the novelty of that wore off it never left the dock again.

Crayon

Mines lost a lost of portable utility since the shitty joycon rails started failing. Makes it unplayable. I got a pro controller clip but that makes packing the thing that much more cumbersome. It stays docked.

Even when it's working right, it one of those couch portables and not as good as the small emulator devices or even vintage portables for actual travel.

Fredrik

85% docked. Used to be 100% but so many in the family are playing TOTK now that I have to play handheld occasionally.
But I bought the OLED TOTK edition so I kinda like it handheld now, the controllers suck but the screen is sublime.

HUELEN10

For me, it’s like 95 percent docked, 5 percent tabletop. I refuse to use it as a handheld as it’s lacking severely in the ergonomics department.

But perhaps maybe I’ve outgrown this kind of gaming, and this kind of hobby.

It’s been fun. ❤️

Last edited:

reektann

Since getting a grip for it I play it handheld a lot more but it’s depending on the game as those joycon sticks are not great.

baphomet

If I play it, which is basically never, it's handheld only.

Switch looks like complete shit blown up on a TV.

supernova8

Banned
For those saying they rarely play in handheld mode because of the horrible ergonomics, I'd highly recommend buying the Hori Switch Pad Compact (or Switch Pad Fit here in Japan) if you often play outside the house, or the Switch Pad Pro if you have larger hands AND you never go outside with it. Also if you want an earphone jack (who doesn't?), get the Switch Pad Pro with the attachment since it cannot be bought separately so you may as well just get it and then decide whether you want to use it or not after the fact.

I went with the Switch Pad Compact because the Pro felt a bit too large for my tiny hands.

Quasicat

Usually docked at home, unless the kids are using the TV. When the school year starts back up, I use it in tabletop mode during my conference period and the hour after school that I need to be there.

Tams

For those saying they rarely play in handheld mode because of the horrible ergonomics, I'd highly recommend buying the Hori Switch Pad Compact (or Switch Pad Fit here in Japan) if you often play outside the house, or the Switch Pad Pro if you have larger hands AND you never go outside with it. Also if you want an earphone jack (who doesn't?), get the Switch Pad Pro with the attachment since it cannot be bought separately so you may as well just get it and then decide whether you want to use it or not after the fact.

I went with the Switch Pad Compact because the Pro felt a bit too large for my tiny hands.

Unfortunately, they don't have gyros in them.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Oled, 100% handheld. Don’t even have the dock connected to a HDMI.

Got a Skull & Co Neogrip as using it raw left me with severe hand cramping after 30 mins.

Nintendo’s GOAT console IMO and that’s high praise.

Last edited:

Laieon

Handheld 99% of the time. I've had a switch since launch and I think I've used it docked less than a handful of times.

Last edited:

Tams

100% handheld these days.

Until about a year or so ago, it was more 80% docked, 20% handheld, but that's just not convenient for me anymore.

Such a temporal mixture is probably not good Nintendo imagined it would be used, but hey, the form factor allows for it

I want to use tabletop mode, but the display is just too small. I do only have the launch version (so nonsensically shitty kickstand (but hey, they did make it child-resistant)), but a small increase wouldn't be enough for me. In still glad it's there though.

StereoVsn

Personally it's mostly handheld, like 90% if the time.
Kids split their Switch time between docked and handheld depending on situation.

Vandole

Historically the answer is docked. Currently, the answer is not at all. I don't know what it is about the switch, but I've never really cared for it. I think being a Wii u only owner for an extended period of time killed all of my interest in Nintendo franchises. For the past year

Top Bottom