• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fate of the Original Switch

What will you do with your original Switch now?

• Keep it but put it away

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Keep it and still use it

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Give it away

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Sell it or trade it in

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Celcius

°Temp. member
Next year (we assume) the Switch 2 will finally be released and millions of gamers will be upgrading. Let's assume that it has 100% backwards compatibility as is widely expected. There's one question that over 139 million gamers will have to answer:

What will you do with your original Switch now?

On one hand, the original Switch will still work perfectly fine and play all the same games it did before. Plus, many folks have the OLED model with it's super nice screen. However, the Switch 2 will be playable anywhere the original was and would still play all the old games plus all the new ones as well. The screen most likely may not be OLED but should be noticeably bigger.

Do you just put the OG Switch into the closet and keep it as a back-up unit? Give it to a family member? Sell it to reduce part of the cost of upgrading? I'm just curious what everyone's plans are.

FeralEcho

Guys, in 17 years the PS8 will be released. What kind of safe and cement are you using to bury your PS5 tomorrow?
To be fair the Series X is still active and some people already burried their xboxes so it's not unheard of...

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
If the Switch 2 was fully backwards compatible, I don't see why I wouldn't trade in the Switch 1 to buy it. I don't need two Switches. They don't even play media.

StereoVsn

The question is pointless until we have information around backwards compatibility.

If Switch 2 has full BC, I will sell one of my Switches to get the new one. Kids probably will stay on their current Switches for a bit.

I am keeping my OG Switch basically forever since it has homebrew on it and I can use it for cart backups.

Impotaku

I'll do what i have always done, keep it and still use it like all my other old systems just because something new gets released i don't stop playing older stuff. Never was one to offload all my stuff for peanuts only to be on here crying years later because all those games are now worth a fortune and a nightmare to rebuy. If it's backwards compatible then great but not an issue as i'll be able to play anything regardless.

Top Bottom