• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Jomjom

Banned
Can anyone who owns ToD Narikiri Dungeon X answer a quick question?

The version of ToP it includes does it play the theme song from the original ToP if you leave it on the menu?

Falk

that puzzling face
I just realized that the Decepticons would make a great Tales cast.

Megatron is the asshole main character who transforms into an ultimate weapon
Starscream is the idiot and token betrayal character
Soundwave is the bard who also has puppet minions because magic

etc.

Palom

I want a prequel to Abyss. Yulia's story would be perfect. You've got the Fonic War, the Planetary Storm and miasma, Daath's betrayal, Yulia's imprisonment, and the Float Project/War. Just retcon in some big powerful enemy standing in the way of raising the Outer Lands to serve as the final boss, and I think it could fit a narrative for a game well. Hell, by the end, it's her plus seven disciples, for an eight-character roster.

redhairedking

I want a prequel to Abyss. Yulia's story would be perfect. You've got the Fonic War, the Planetary Storm and miasma, Daath's betrayal, Yulia's imprisonment, and the Float Project/War. Just retcon in some big powerful enemy standing in the way of raising the Outer Lands to serve as the final boss, and I think it could fit a narrative for a game well. Hell, by the end, it's her plus seven disciples, for an eight-character roster.

I'd actually love this

Well Zestiria is dropping in 3 days, any early Japanese reviews?

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to import it or wait for the US release

demidar

I'm going to wait. Probably the first new Tales game in awhile where I don't import.

Hopefully we get a localization date fairly soon though.

I always get the localized version, but it still feels like it's too early. I'm not used to annual Tales games.

aravuus

I'm waiting because I think this is going to be garbage and I'm not spending 80 bucks on garbage.

I'm going to wait. Probably the first new Tales game in awhile where I don't import.

Did I miss some big piece of negative news about the game or something like that? I'm very excited for an actually new Tales game after the disappointment that was Xillia 2 so if I did, would be great to know what so I can... Adjust my hype, I guess.

Rhapsody

Banned
Did I miss some big piece of negative news about the game or something like that? I'm very excited for an actually new Tales game after the disappointment that was Xillia 2 so if I did, would be great to know what so I can... Adjust my hype, I guess.

For me, nothing negative. I'm actually expecting the battle system to be really fun, and I'm most excited about that. The reason why I'm waiting is due to money and dual audio (iirc). Plus I guess there's a little less excitement from me since the art direction doesn't make the title feel extremely new compared to when ToX was first shown.

After remembering how Xillia 2 ended I decided to write my own TRUE ending.

After Bisley bites the bullet Ludger decides to sacrifice himself in order to save Elle. In doing so Origin acknowledges his sacrifice and ends the trial before he can do so. He also brings back Fractured Milla since that was some bullshit.

Ludger and Milla raise Elle together and they live happily ever after.

fin

So...am I screwed? I finally bought a super slim PS3, which I got for $60 :D, to replace my YLOD fat for Zestiria. Since I'm in a tales mood, I figure I should finally beat Xillia 2. When I went to load my file, it won't load because I have some DLC costumes on that file. Those DLC costumes are on my JPN account. However, I can't remember the password or the birthday I used on it. I tried talking to the Japan live support chat, but she kept insisting for my birthday when I already explained that I don't know it since I used a fake birthday. Any suggestions? :(

redhairedking

So...am I screwed? I finally bought a super slim PS3, which I got for $60 :D, to replace my YLOD fat for Zestiria. Since I'm in a tales mood, I figure I should finally beat Xillia 2. When I went to load my file, it won't load because I have some DLC costumes on that file. Those DLC costumes are on my JPN account. However, I can't remember the password or the birthday I used on it. I tried talking to the Japan live support chat, but she kept insisting for my birthday when I already explained that I don't know it since I used a fake birthday. Any suggestions? :(

I think you may be SOL

Falk

that puzzling face

If it's a birthday you could just brute force 365 times and hope for the best?

unless it includes year then lol

I think you may be SOL
I was thinking of maybe trying another representative...but I think I am.

If it's a birthday you could just brute force 365 times and hope for the best?

unless it includes year then lol
It does :( I wonder if I can write a python script that does it for me since it doesn't lock you out after trying so many times...

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess for now, I won't find out what happens. No way I'm starting all over again after putting 20+ hours into the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
If you're really desperate, would re-buying the costume DLC make the game stop complaining?

(although that's as much of supporting bad DLC practices as me spending my years-old $20 PSN credit on 40 levels on that very same game)

If you're really desperate, would re-buying the costume DLC make the game stop complaining?

(although that's as much of supporting bad DLC practices as me spending my years-old $20 PSN credit on 40 levels on that very same game)
I can't buy it off the store. If that was an option, believe me, I would have done it. It's the pre-order costumes (even though I didn't pre-order it, it just came with the game): Yuri, Emil, and Asbel.

Arcadius

Banned
Hello Tales of Gaf community thread! I have a rather silly question to ask and I figure where else to ask! I'd like to know which translation patch of Tales of Phantasia is best?

By best I mean, which is closest to the original Japanese source, doesn't add a lot of "color" to the language and avoids adding a lot of unnecessary language changes.

(I tried to search before posting, but I couldn't find anything with Phantasian Productions or Absolute Zero patches for this game)

Arcadius

Banned
Absolute Zero is more verbatim while Phantasian Productions is the better localization. You seem to prefer the former.

Thanks for this. So Absolute Zero is pretty 1:1, but why would you consider the Phantasain Productions the better of the two. I'd like some opinions before I put my mind to playing this game.

Datschge

Thanks for this. So Absolute Zero is pretty 1:1, but why would you consider the Phantasain Productions the better of the two. I'd like some opinions before I put my mind to playing this game.
You can translated directly without transposing the content to that familiar of the reader, or you can rework it so that a reader not familiar with the original implied cultural context of the text can still get the meaning. The latter is part of a well done localization. Absolute Zero leans toward the former, Phantasian Productions toward the latter.

Arcadius

Banned
You can translated directly without transposing the content to that familiar of the reader, or you can rework it so that a reader not familiar with the original implied cultural context of the text can still get the meaning. The latter is part of a well done localization. Absolute Zero leans toward the former, Phantasian Productions toward the latter.

Thank you very much for this.

I'm about to import Tales of Vesperia PS3 even if I don't have CFW 3.55 for the soon to be released English patch I will eventually do so to play the game in English.

Seda

I'm about to import Tales of Vesperia PS3 even if I don't have CFW 3.55 for the soon to be released English patch I will eventually do so to play the game in English.

I imported it, was too impatient for a patch and just played it in Japanese.

Don't regret it.

I imported it, was too impatient for a patch and just played it in Japanese.

Don't regret it.

Well now the patch is finally happening, so you can play it again! I play the Tales games more for story and characters then gameplay alone not understanding the skits would kill it for me.

Rhapsody

Banned
Can anyone remind me what led to Tales Studio being dissolved and why so many people left instead of going along with the merge?

Datschge

Can anyone remind me what led to Tales Studio being dissolved and why so many people left instead of going along with the merge?
The only reason Tales Studio was formed to begin with was that the staff was originally part of Telenet Japan. To split the staff off Telenet Japan and give then Namco more control Tales Studio was formed as a public joint venture of both parties, with Namco holding the majority. In 2006 they bought the remaining shares of Telenet Japan (which went insolvent soon after) and by 2009 it controlled 100%. As Tales Studio was never independent going independent was never a real option.

Tales Studio was dissolved and its staff absorbed in a bigger move to consolidate all the different publisher and developer units in two central units, BN Games as publisher and BN Studios as developer. Affected were also BEC and Banpresto, among others. This e.g. allowed for a couple former "Team Symphonia" staff to be involved in the development of the Smash 4 games.

Aside of the obvious loss (management, "Team Destiny" and 2D staff) I'm not sure yet how much of the former Tales Studio staff actually left. At Taipei Games Show Baba claimed the team would be too small, lacking resources (ridiculous considering BN Studios has 1000+ employees) and not working on another project yet. In the past he also claimed several times one system being their main system now (360, DS, Wii) were it was clear pretty quickly it was only true in reference to the game sold at that time and to deflect questions with regard to other project that were already underway. There are quite some people from both Xillia games that didn't work on Zestiria and would be likely to work on another Tales game (or something else by BN Studios, like happened with Smash 4).

Tales Studio was insolvent: http://kotaku.com/5861361/was-this-inevitable-the-tales-studio-is-dead

I think they cut a lot of jobs during the merging into Bandai Namco.
I really hate how that stupid hogwash crap is still being repeated even after all these years, again and again.
- Tales Studio was never independent, they never had any income (anything sold was handled by BN), only costs. Having legally been a public company they still had to make public reports, so those cost were published.
- As Tales Studio was never independent it being insolvent would mean its owners being insolvent. Was Bandai Namco insolvent at the time of this shit article?
- When BN Studios was formed BN published a press release stating that 80 former Tales Studio staff were included. While that is down from the last reported 124 employees Tales Studio had, it's also clear that much of the management and 2D staff wouldn't move to BN.

Top Bottom