• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

Labadal

A Cutlass and 5 Maces are needed for a sidequest, you can go buy them again later though. Feel free to sell old stuff but there's one time when the buy/sell value of weapons and armor skyrockets so you may want to wait for that.

Ok, thanks. Will keep most items for now.

B.K.

How are the skits in the game? I've been wondering about that. Did the slow down the text speed or give you an option to manually advance the text? I don't know how many lines in skits I missed in the PS2 version because the text auto advanced too quickly.

Rising_Hei

People disliking Luke is what the devs wanted to happen :) everyone hates him...
at the start of the game :)

I fell in love with this game, is the best tales of i've ever played and one of the few RPGs i liked as a whole

They really dun goofed with this release in PAL land. We already knew that the game was going to be released only in English (which is considered bad enough for a big publisher) but I just saw it yesterday in GAME and they didn't even bother in translating the back cover nor the instruction booklet (just the quickstart) AND it was full retail price.

Then they wonder why the fuck they don't sell a single piece of their shit (or blame piracy, completely unexistant in the 3DS). I am fluent in English. Heck, I HAVE to speak it everyday at work. But not even bothering in translating those two things is considered such a big lack of respect to the consumer, they deserve zero sales. I mean, not even the shittiest and cheapest publishers releasing the most strange stuff from Japan dare to even try that shit.
Zero sales would be worse, it would mean Tales of games not coming at all, Tales of coming atleast in english is a HUGE advance, if it sells good it will have more chances of being localized

Oxx

Now that I have already bought two 3ds games despite not owning a 3ds, I suppose I should keep an eye out for this game.

Last I looked Amazon UK were out of stock. Eep.

PKrockin

How are the skits in the game? I've been wondering about that. Did the slow down the text speed or give you an option to manually advance the text? I don't know how many lines in skits I missed in the PS2 version because the text auto advanced too quickly.

The text speed is equivalent to if you listened to them speak it. You can't speed it up or skip to the next line without skipping the whole skit. As for the quality they're much like Symphonia I guess. Voice acting really helps them.

Labadal

No voice acting and sometimes I miss some lines because of the text speeds. :(

I haven't been playing as much as I thought I would. I blame FFTA2 for that. When I'm finished with that, this game will get my attention for real.

Luigiv

I have now idea on how it compares to the PS2 version but I'm finding it auto advances way too slow. No skip button. Seems to advance in sync with the non-existant voice acting, which is weird given that the regular "cutscenes" require button presses to advance. Seems really backwards to me.

I have now idea on how it compares to the PS2 version but I'm finding it auto advances way too slow. No skip button. Seems to advance in sync with the non-existant voice acting, which is weird given that the regular "cutscenes" require button presses to advance. Seems really backwards to me.

If you're wondering, it's exactly the same as the PS2 version (I've played through the PS2 original)

RpgN

Forgot to mention that I got the game, after two weeks. I was more worried that it was too rare to get hold of than mad for being impatient, but it's finally here. I'm busy with Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and some GBA games instead of playing this though. Will get around it once I clear Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart Super Circuit at least.

It seems that most shops got hold of the game after 2 weeks of release, at least in Holland. Whatever that was, it sure was weird.

So, is this game considered as rare? I was trying to get it since it launched. Some stores got like five copies and didn't get more after it sold out immediately, others didn't get it at all. Yesterday I finally found a copy at a Gamestop (where I rarely go/shop) for €44,99. It was the last copy as well and the clerk said I should consider myself lucky because they had like only a few copies in stock.

WOW... and I just checked Amazon where it goes for €69,95 (by Amazon, not a seller) WTF?

Edit: oh... I did a mistake here. The €69,95 offer comes from a reseller.

Oxx

I guess it's a positive for Namco that there aren't thousands of unsold copies sitting on shelves, but I'd like to think that they would print some more copies next year once the production facilities have stopped churning out Mario and Monster Hunter for Christmas.

redlemon

It's unfortunate that the game is going out of stock so quickly for people who want it but at least it shows Namco had realistic expectations for it's sales.

Labadal

It's unfortunate that the game is going out of stock so quickly for people who want it but at least it shows Namco had realistic expectations for it's sales.

I know at least 4-5 people that want the game who can't find it for a reasonable price anymore.

hiro4

WOW... and I just checked Amazon where it goes for €69,95 (by Amazon, not a seller) WTF?

Amazon.co.uk still has it for 35 pounds, but it is out of stock.
There is reseller that has it up for 55 pounds.

There are still some shops here that sell it for 45 euro's, but I find that a bit too pricey.
I should have pre-ordered it at 30 pounds, but no monies.

This is my first "Tales" game and I'm really enjoying it so far (just started playing last night). Maybe I'll check out Symphonia as soon as I'm done here (who am I kidding... Nintendo backlog explosion right here).

kanugo

Finally got the game today. I was losing all hope to find it in Euroland.

I wonder if, in a couple of years, this wil one of those games really hard to find.

Really excited about this, since I never played Tales of the Abyss.

so wait, you're saying i should be buying all these copies sitting on the shelves going nowhere in australia and ebay them? hmmm...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Never played this game before, looking forward to playing it for the first time on the 3DS.

Actually, I've never played a Tales game before, so I'm pretty excited to get into the series now (even if it's a bit late I suppose).

Is there any pre-order bonus or anything coming to North America (Canada, more specifically). I doubt it but would be cool.

Labadal

Never played this game before, looking forward to playing it for the first time on the 3DS.

Actually, I've never played a Tales game before, so I'm pretty excited to get into the series now (even if it's a bit late I suppose).

Is there any pre-order bonus or anything coming to North America (Canada, more specifically). I doubt it but would be cool.

Considering how this port was handled, I bet there won't be anything like that.

hmmm...with RE and XIII-2 releasing just before it and Tales of Graces F coming the next month, seems like it would be better to wait for Graces if I'm in the mood for a Tales game/JRPG.

PKrockin

You have to do a lot of digging around in menus to discover that you've even acquired some new skills, let alone figure out what they actually do.

Not true. After battle, "New Skill Learned!" will appear over the portrait of the character who learned it, and a text box will also appear saying which character learned what skill. You even have to press A to close it before continuing.

Thought I'd let anyone who is still looking for the game (UK/Europe) that (known banned site.. "rhymes with hop you"..) have them in stock today, so does choices uk

I'd say if anyone still wants the game to get in there quick

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I pre-ordered my copy here in Canada land.

I can't wait to pick it up on the 14th, just in time for 'reading week'.

Pfft, who reads during reading week anyway.

PKrockin

Ah, it's finally only about a week away. I'm ashamed to say I pirated the PS2 version back when it was newish, but I've preordered the 3DS version and eagerly await a second playthrough. It's taken far too long for a proper portable Tales in the US. Ocarina of Time, prepare to get knocked off that #1 spot in my Activity Log.

I do not like Tales games that much, but I am greatly looking forward to having the first real JRPG released in the US for the 3DS.

What I'm not looking forward to are the missable sidequests, probably the thing I loathe most about Tales games.

PKrockin

I do not like Tales games that much, but I am greatly looking forward to having the first real JRPG released in the US for the 3DS.

What I'm not looking forward to are the missable sidequests, probably the thing I loathe most about Tales games.

Yeah, and if I'm not mistaken this game has the most missables out of all the mothership titles. I'm going to use this guide.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, who else is buying this? Graces F and Abyss will consume my little gaming time. Thankfully... the 3DS is becoming my to-go system when I have little time so yeah. I am sightly pumped. :p!

redlemon

I've tried other tales games and struggled to get past the first 5 hours but I greatly enjoyed Abyss.

Top Bottom