• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection" will be discontinued in Japan on March 29, 2024 on Steam

Notice of End of Sales

The full game of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection" will be discontinued in Japan on the following date:
  • Friday, March 29, 2024 at 0:00 (JST)
Online play will remain available after the end of sales. Also, purchased copies of the full game will be available for re-download from the Steam Store.

M0G

So do we have to snatch up digital games quickly, just in case they disappear in the near future? This is one of those games I want, but only when it gets dirt cheap. I know this is just Japan but it seems to be happening more and more recently.

Midn1ght

Bought it for Steam just in case it gets delisted everywhere at some point.

You can get it for 12.71€ on Instant Gaming

I would get it now if you're interested, games that are permanently delisted on Steam tend to reach insane prices.
For example if you want a Steam Key for the racing game Fuel, they are over 200,00€

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Got the physical copy on Switch. If it gets delisted and out of print, it will be worth thousands after a couple of years.

M0G

Bought it for Steam just in case it gets delisted everywhere at some point.

You can get it for 12.33€ on Instant Gaming

I would get it now if you're interested, games that are permanently delisted on Steam tend to reach insane prices.
For example if you want a Steam Key for the racing game Fuel, they are over 200,00€
Cheers :) That's the wrong game though. Snagged it anyway but yeah that's Shredders Revenge.

Here's the other link:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

source.gif

The real answer is licensing deals.

Quasicat

I jumped on this knowing it would probably be delisted soon mainly because of the Platinum Turtles game which was delisted six months after release. I wonder if Shredder’s Revenge is staying on longer due to the DLC which may have been given a license extension.

It sucks, but it was also expected.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
So do we have to snatch up digital games quickly, just in case they disappear in the near future? This is one of those games I want, but only when it gets dirt cheap. I know this is just Japan but it seems to be happening more and more recently.
If you are worried about the digital disappearing then get it physical. It’s pretty cheap last I checked.

M0G

If you are worried about the digital disappearing then get it physical. It’s pretty cheap last I checked.
To be fair, I buy a dirty amount of physical games every month and will continue to do so. I was just hoping to pick these up cheap in a Steam sale at some point, as these aren't top tier priority for me. It's shit like this that continues to reinforce the physical argument.

DaGwaphics

I jumped on this knowing it would probably be delisted soon mainly because of the Platinum Turtles game which was delisted six months after release. I wonder if Shredder’s Revenge is staying on longer due to the DLC which may have been given a license extension.

It sucks, but it was also expected.

Why would the licensing be so short for recently released games? Shouldn't this be arranged for at least a few years after the launch of the game? Seems weird to give yourself such a short sales window.

Quasicat

Why would the licensing be so short for recently released games? Shouldn't this be arranged for at least a few years after the launch of the game? Seems weird to give yourself such a short sales window.
Every company is now doing this as a way to drum up sales. Nintendo did this with the Mario 3D Collection where they took it off their store even though there was no reason to except to create an artificial scarcity. Even restaurants do this…Taco Bell had a Spicy Tostada on their menu that they discontinued years ago; all of the ingredients they need to make it are readily available, yet they will not make it anymore.

These companies have gotten really good at creating this fear of missing out for their consumers.

StereoVsn

TMNT games in general have short licenses so it would not surprise me if the TMNT Cowabunga Collection will get delisted in the west too later this year.

If you're interested in it you should probably grab it sooner rather than later (already grabbed my copy last year).
This is kind of dumb. I mean I have both Steam and physical Switch copies , but such a short license term is terrible as folks won’t have a chance to discover and purchase the games down the line.

So… they will sail the high seas and then Corpos make pikachu face about piracy.

angrod14

Is it really that much different from physical copies going out of print?
When physical copies go out of print, the ones that were printed still remain available in the second-hand market, in any condition you want (new, used, etc.), so people can still acquire them.

When a digital-only game gets delisted, it you didn’t grab it you’re SOL. Even if you did buy it, if something happens to the account that license is tied to (ban, hack, lost of login credentials), you have no legit way of reacquiring the game.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I picked the Cowabunga Collection up on both Xbox and Switch, but I still have it in my Steam wishlist waiting for a sale. I’m hoping the big Spring Sale, which starts here in a couple of hours, has is cheaper than $40. It is worth $40, but I know if will drop and I can wait for it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
When physical copies go out of print, the ones that were printed still remain available in the second-hand market, in any condition you want (new, used, etc.), so people can still acquire them.

When a digital-only game gets delisted, it you didn’t grab it you’re SOL. Even if you did buy it, if something happens to the account that license is tied to (ban, hack, lost of login credentials), you have no legit way of reacquiring the game.
But the hardware slowly dies, used prices go up and up, the hardware becomes incompatible with new displays or looks shit on them, and you have to maintain a massive collection of boxes, adaptors, controllers etc to be able to play everything.
Just my Wii takes up so much space, 4 controllers, motion plus, balance board, pro controllers, nunchucks, GameCube controller - and it would be useless if I hadn't ripped my physical copies (still sat in a box taking space) to a usb quick enough as the drive no longer reads disks. I can't imagine trying to maintain and store and hook up an N64, a Wii, a PS2, a PS3 an OG Xbox, a turbografx-16 etc etc.

angrod14

But the hardware slowly dies, used prices go up and up, the hardware becomes incompatible with new displays or looks shit on them, and you have to maintain a massive collection of boxes, adaptors, controllers etc to be able to play everything.
Just my Wii takes up so much space, 4 controllers, motion plus, balance board, pro controllers, nunchucks, GameCube controller - and it would be useless if I hadn't ripped my physical copies (still sat in a box taking space) to a usb quick enough as the drive no longer reads disks. I can't imagine trying to maintain and store and hook up an N64, a Wii, a PS2, a PS3 an OG Xbox, a turbografx-16 etc etc.
I know, I’ve been a digital-only buyer since late last gen. I’m just trying to be objective when assessing the pros and cons of either way.

phant0m

Is it really that much different from physical copies going out of print? If you lose that then you can't play, with digital you can usually redownload.

So much drama. Physical ALWAYS goes out of print. And no one’s purchased digital copies are being taken away.

Good thing I go physical.
My copy wont be going anywhere or get delisted.

Such a weird comment, no one’s digital purchases are being taken away. You just can’t buy in JPN anymore. Just like you can’t buy new physical copies of PS2 games anymore.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
To be fair, I buy a dirty amount of physical games every month and will continue to do so. I was just hoping to pick these up cheap in a Steam sale at some point, as these aren't top tier priority for me. It's shit like this that continues to reinforce the physical argument.
I hear you. I do the same thing l and wait for Steam sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom