• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale Games confirms original IP in development

Well, when you cut all gameplay out of your games it doesn't become too hard to work on so many projects.

You joke but when they started to abandon puzzles the amount of games they announced started to go up from what I remember.

If you were ever expecting substantive gameplay from Telltale...well, you might as well hope your closet is a portal to Narnia (coming soon from Telltale, 2017).

There used to be actual puzzles in these games at one point, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for at least one game to go back to that.

Marcel

You joke but when they started to abandon puzzles the amount of games they announced started to go up from what I remember.

There used to be actual puzzles in these games at one point, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for at least one game to go back to that.

I don't consider modern pixel hunting or stupid-easy puzzle progress gates to be substantive or generally wanted. I recall the Walking Dead "fixing the radio" or "finding the tapes" to be more of a waste of time than a true puzzle ala the old Silent Hill games.

So more unannounced franchise IP's and an original one? How many people work at this studio?

240 people and they're hiring more.

They have to be hiring a ton of people, right? They seem to be spreading themselves so thin.

They're not a small company and their stock in trade is essentially to make visual novels based on existing IPs, all running on variations of the same game engine. It's not like they're popping out 5 FPS or RPGs each year.

Maybe it will be called "How to dick over your day one season pass buyers by offering the first episode for free or the season pass at a significant discount before the second episode is even out."

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't consider modern pixel hunting or stupid-easy puzzle progress gates to be substantive or generally wanted. I recall the Walking Dead "fixing the radio" or "finding the tapes" to be more of a waste of time than a true puzzle ala the old Silent Hill games.

Yup, I mean in The Wolf Among Us you essentially play as a detective who doesn't have to solve the frickin mystery, for fucks sake Tell Tale. I'm not asking for a lot here but can you at least take the time to make an actual investigative puzzle when I'm playing a detective?

SRTtoZ

People tolerate the shitty framerate, bugs, and dated engine because they like playing a game in the awesome IP worlds TT gets the rights to. I wonder if people will tolerate those shortcoming from an original IP no one knows or really cares about.

Valkrai

People tolerate the shitty framerate, bugs, and dated engine because they like playing a game in the awesome IP worlds TT gets the rights to. I wonder if people will tolerate those shortcoming from an original IP no one knows or really cares about.

If the game is enjoyable enough as much as their recent stuff, I'll accept it. Although, those issues are the reason why I avoid TTG on console.

FluxWaveZ

Unless they fix their technical issues, it'll be real interesting to see if people want to deal with this when it's not a known IP.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Why not two ips and a few more licenses? Cut the length of each episode. lol.

I'm sorry, I'll never buy one of their games.

HeelPower

Did they even finish any of the multiple projects they have going simultaneously?

Walking Dead,Wolf Among Us,Borderlands,Game of Thrones ??

Nesther

Did they even finish any of the multiple projects they have going simultaneously?

Wolf Among Us seems to be finished. There's no indication that there'll be a sequel, it ended nicely.

Really loving the shit they're getting for their shit engine, ridiculous number of bugs and hideously poor optimization. This has been an issue ever since they first started porting their games to the PS3 back with Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse and yet things have only gotten worse since then. It's really inexcusable.

These days, most of the reason why I even buy Telltale's games is because of the IP, so I doubt I'd even have any interest in this. Same reason why I don't care about their Minecraft or Borderlands games.

Phamit

they didn't announced a second season of Wolf among us, so probably this one is finished.

Walking dead season two was finished, but it prints money and is well received, so they make more.

At the moment there are two projects with Game of thrones and Borderlands "on Air"

The other projects are in devlopement, announced (walking dead 3, minecraft) and to be announced

Gamezone

Gold Member
How many games are these people working on? And it's been far too long since episode 1 of Games of Thrones and Tales of Borderlands was released.

jblank83

If you were ever expecting substantive gameplay from Telltale...well, you might as well hope your closet is a portal to Narnia (coming soon from Telltale, 2017).

Once upon a time Telltale's games had a fair amount of gameplay. See the Sam & Max games or Strongbad.

It wasn't until Walking Dead where they threw everything out the window and focused on making visual novels.

Phamit

How many games are these people working on? And it's been far too long since episode 1 of Games of Thrones and Tales of Borderlands was released.

both were released a little more then one month ago, usually Tell tale needs about two months to release a new episode of the season

Sweet, will likely pick this up seeing as I've been interested in playing a modern Telltale game but not liking any of the source material (TWD, GoT, TWAU, BL etc). I did like Tales of Monkey Island from a few years back, please tell me their later games run better than that though!

Neiteio

63506-and-well-there-it-is-gif--jeff-VLTz.gif

AEREC

Sweet, will likely pick this up seeing as I've been interested in playing a modern Telltale game but not liking any of the source material (TWD, GoT, TWAU, BL etc). I did like Tales of Monkey Island from a few years back, please tell me their later games run better than that though!

On a decent PC they run fine. On anything else they run like ass. But they still look terrible and have gamestopping bugs.

Corpsepyre

Banned
How many games are these guys working on?!

I seriously hope they can churn out quality product in the end, similar to The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among us. Borderlands was cool and all, but they need to focus on releasing fewer games, but with higher production values and with extra time dedicated to them.

How many games are these guys working on?!

I seriously hope they can churn out quality product in the end, similar to The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among us. Borderlands was cool and all, but they need to focus on releasing fewer games, but with higher production values and with extra time dedicated to them.

The Walking Dead S3
Game of Thrones (Probably finished near enough now)
Tales from Borderlands
Minecraft
Original IP

There's also two more licenses they're working on are they not? Unless one of them is TWD S3 but they never clarified.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The IPs are not the issue, Telltale just need to go back to a real puzzle and adventure games instead of their tired interactive shows games.

Is Wolf Among Us season 2 a thing? Please let it be a thing.

At this point I'm buying anything they put out so I'm excited, their engine can only improve from here (right?)
BROFIST*
After playing through season one over Christmas I desperately need a season two, such a great game.

Telltale sucks. They cram other peoples' creative work into their embarrassing engine and churn out endless half-assed episodes. I have no faith in them making an original IP that's worth a shit.

I guess I'm happy that this means that they will take a small break from desecrating franchises I like.

The_Poet

Banned
Wow, I've never heard so many people bitch and whine about a developer announcing a new IP.

Get over yourselves, they know what they are doing.

jett

D-Member
It may be a new IP, but we all know it will essentially be the same game they've been making for several years now.

Top Bottom