• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2018 Senate map just keeps getting better for Republicans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Senate might be bad, but House still gives us a shot, and thankfully, gubernatorial elections are the exact opposite of the congressional ones (has Dems on attack, Republicans defending)

2017:
320px-2017_gubernatorial_races.svg.png

2018:
348px-United_States_gubernatorial_elections%2C_2018.svg.png

samn

he thinks there's nothing wrong with the policies that obama and clinton pushed and that there's just a messaging problem.

the 2016 election was the biggest refutation of the democratic party's policies and history imaginable, but party leaders are ignoring the giant warning signs and continuing to drive us over a cliff.

If Trump getting 3m fewer votes than Clinton is the worst result imaginable for the Democrats then I don't know how big your imagination can be.

Glix

Im hopeful that if there are more days like today those "safe" seats start looking not so safe.

No it wasn't.

The Democrats are now effectively powerless in America.

Yes it is. Your chosen one did such a bad fucking job with incrementalism and compromise for 8 years, even stamping his name on a Republican-developed healthcare plan, that a reality gameshow rapist shit-for-brains wound up becoming his successor.

Obama was a terrible President, a heartbreaking roadbump on the downhill slope between Bush 43 and Trump 45 into rapid decline and an economic dystopia.

If Trump getting 3m fewer votes than Clinton is the worst result imaginable for the Democrats then I don't know how big your imagination can be.

A billion dollar campaign machine couldn't even get Hillary out of the Hamptons long enough to translate that popular vote lead into an electoral vote victory in major swing states. It is an even worse result than flat out losing clean, chalked up to plain incompetency of an infinitely rich and powerful white lady surrounded by the out of touch rich white men who ran her campaign and SuperPACs.

ExVicis

You fucked up more by forgetting the year where they fucked up even more

2010 was an absolute disaster and we will be feeling the results of that election for decades

Just imagine if 2010 hadn't gone so poorly. So different would it look today. Obama wouldn't have been so hampered by an uncooperative Congress.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
At this point it feels like it would be easier to just brainwash myself to not notice politics anymore.

Blader

he thinks there's nothing wrong with the policies that obama and clinton pushed and that there's just a messaging problem.

the 2016 election was the biggest refutation of the democratic party's policies and history imaginable, but party leaders are ignoring the giant warning signs and continuing to drive us over a cliff.

I don't think there's been a bigger refutation of the Democratic Party in just the modern era (much less "imaginable") than Ronald Reagan's two landslide victories, congressional victories that were way better than the average, and securing a third consecutive term for his party, which hadn't happened in over 40 years then and hasn't happened since. So...

he's a continuation of the party of clinton and obama, which has objectively failed us in almost every possible way. the party needs a major change of direction, not better ads.

Not sure why you keep reaching for language that is patently false. Millions of people's lives were objectively improved in many ways under Obama's presidency, if not Clinton's (which I can't speak to as much because I was a kid then). And the failures of the party of Clinton and Obama, I would say, have more to do with campaigning and messaging problems than policy problems. Which Democratic policy positions need to be jettisoned to make for a major change in direction? And which non-Perez candidate is advocating for those policies to be jettisoned for that reason?

XenodudeX

Yes it is. Your chosen one did such a bad fucking job with incrementalism and compromise for 8 years, even stamping his name on a Republican-developed healthcare plan, that a reality gameshow rapist shit-for-brains wound up becoming his successor.

Obama was a terrible President, a heartbreaking roadbump on the downhill slope between Bush 43 and Trump 45 into rapid decline and an economic dystopia.

You're defeatist hyperbolic horseshit of a post doesn't change the fact that dems won more votes in 2016, and gained senate seats.

Thank Christ some of you people don't run political campaigns. Absolutely worthless.

Pomerlaw

A billion dollar campaign machine couldn't even get Hillary out of the Hamptons long enough to translate that popular vote lead into an electoral vote victory in major swing states. It is an even worse result than flat out losing clean, chalked up to plain incompetency of an infinitely rich and powerful white lady surrounded by the out of touch rich white men who ran her campaign and SuperPACs.

wtf are you on

RinsFury

Obama was a great President.

working class people (which at this point i believe is minority white) are not being represented by the democratic party.

framing this as a conflict between social issues and economic issues is the biggest problem liberals have. if they can't see that they're inextricably intertwined and interdependent and instead continue to portray the american electorate as so extremely racist that not even favorable economic policies can win them over then we are 100% fucked.

Feel free to start an actual thread so we can tear this BS down while being on-topic, but Castro's Cuba is laughing at your hilarious assertions on bigotry and resources.

“It was a mistake to believe that the elimination of social classes would, in and of itself, put an end to racism,” Quiñones said, criticizing the taboos that surround the racial debate in Cuba."
http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=91836

Arc

You guys act as if Dems would even show up in a midterm election anyways. Most of my 20 something friends who are anti-Trump have no idea what mid-terms are.

Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. There is a real possibility of a Republican super-majority in the Senate.

aeolist

Banned
it sounds like you people want to keep winning the popular vote and losing the election.

the party has to own up to the fact that the game is rigged and not just complain when they play by the rules and still lose. and we lost despite the fact that republicans ran the most unpopular candidate in history and won states that should have been easy democratic wins. it should have been a complete blowout for the left, losing at all is a huge problem and should be a sign that something went fundamentally wrong. instead we've decided that there's just too many racists and we need to lean harder on the bullshit that got us into this mess in the first place.

You're defeatist hyperbolic horseshit of a post doesn't change the fact that dems won more votes in 2016, and gained senate seats.

Thank Christ some of you people don't run political campaigns. Absolutely worthless.

Anyone could have done a better job than Robby Mook, who is now on a paid speaking tour with a Trump campaign staffer. Really shows his committment to #resist.

A heartbreaking roadbump with a 60% approval rating and climbing

An approval rating means fucking nothing. Bush 43 had a majority approval rating for a great deal of time as well.

aeolist

Banned
A heartbreaking roadbump with a 60% approval rating and climbing

people love obama and hate almost everything that came out of his presidency. as a result of his policy failures we now have actual nazis in the white house and the little he managed to do will be largely gone within months.

keep consoling yourself with polls as the economy implodes and we invade even more middle eastern countries.

You guys act as if Dems would even show up in a midterm election anyways. Most of my 20 something friends who are anti-Trump have no idea what mid-terms are.
So tell them? Get them to register to vote? Bug them when it's time to vote, and/or give them a ride to their polling place?

Anyone could have done a better job than Robby Mook, who is now on a paid speaking tour with a Trump campaign staffer. Really shows his committment to #resist.

Are you trolling? This was confirmed fake...

Crocodile

For the Senate? There is nothing realistic.

The Senate isn't the only branch of government.

Don't be myopic.

Seriously. Did people only now learn what the 2018 Senate map looks like? Bunch of crybabies in here. If you have the time/money get out there and be active in local politics. If you don't oh well but spare the rest of us some grief and hyperbole?

ExVicis

I go back and forth anymore. Anger, then sadness, then rock, get anger, throw rock, repeat.
As long as you're not hiding under the rock.

I get pretty depressed about stuff to, then I get on twitter and tweet at a senator or I send out a post card to my rep (or in one case a fax). It also helps you feel a bit better too. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. There is a real possibility of a Republican super-majority in the Senate.

Again, outlets like Fox News will keep their base motivated, ignorant, but most importantly INFORMED. It makes them angry enough to care about politics, daily. And so they know when to care enough to vote.

Dems have no equivalent to this. The democratic base is angry, but the information isn't there for them. There's no rallying source of information.

But nah, going the Fox News or media route is bad - we don't wanna be like them! Nose up! Lol.

So remind them when mid-terms come around then? It's better than doing absolutely nothing.

Arc

So tell them? Get them to register to vote? Bug them when it's time to vote, and/or give them a ride to their polling place?

Oh I do. Trust me, they will never hear the end of it from me. But the point is, at least in my anecdotal experience, that a large percentage of progressive voters either do not care enough or do not know enough to vote in mid-terms. Add that to the unfavorable Senate map and the Dems are in for a very rough 2018.

Iolo

This would be a great time to educate them — what with cabinet approvals going on and all.

Update your talking points, your info is stale

people love obama and hate almost everything that came out of his presidency.

Wrong in the wrongest way possible.

Show us the path to victory then
The path to victory for Ds is the same as it's been, if not even easier: a diversifying electorate, toxic opponents, and stricter scrutiny of gerrymandering.

Look, Trump walked a tightrope, narrowly flipping about the only states that could flip against a candidate whose unfavorability ratings were challenged only by his own. Now the Rs are saddled with an extremely toxic and incompetent poster boy for the next four years and will have limited ability to de-detoxify themselves.

Stay the course and keep fighting voter ID bullshit and this shit can't help but improve for the Ds.

aeolist

Banned
Oh I do. Trust me, they will never hear the end of it from me. But the point is, at least in my anecdotal experience, that a large percentage of progressive votes either do not care enough or do not know enough to vote in mid-terms. Add that to the unfavorable Senate map and the Dems are in for a very rough 2018.

progressives do not feel like the current democratic party represents their interests. that is the problem.

when we don't change course and the republicans can unilaterally pass constitutional amendments after 2020 i'll be laughing pretty hard just before i put a bullet in my fucking head.

The path to victory for Ds is the same as it's been, if not even easier: a diversifying electorate, toxic opponents, and stricter scrutiny of gerrymandering.

Look, Trump walked a tightrope, narrowly flipping about the only states that could flip against a candidate whose unfavorability ratings were challenged only by his own. Now the Rs are saddled with an extremely toxic and incompetent poster boy for the next four years and will have limited ability to de-detoxify themselves.

Stay the course and keep fighting voter ID bullshit and this shit can't help but improve for the Ds.

Woo, positive post for once!

Blader

No he isn't. Take a break from rage posting for five seconds to do some quick googling.

people love obama and hate almost everything that came out of his presidency. as a result of his policy failures we now have actual nazis in the white house and the little he managed to do will be largely gone within months.

keep consoling yourself with polls as the economy implodes and we invade even more middle eastern countries.

I'd love to see the data on that. I'd also love to know why anyone out there is defending the ACA, and why that law has gotten even more popular now, if "people" hated almost everything that came out of his presidency (or was Obama's major signature law one of the things that slips through the cracks of "almost everything"?).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If our courts ever adequately addressed gerrymandering and voter suppression then this wouldn't even be a thing.

Anyone who tries to prevent another American from voting should be tossed in jail. It should be a form of treason.

faisal233

It is time for Democrats to fall in line or get ready for eight years of Trump Mania.

progressives do not feel like the current democratic party represents their interests. that is the problem.

when we don't change course and the republicans can unilaterally pass constitutional amendments after 2020 i'll be laughing pretty hard just before i put a bullet in my fucking head.

He would rather put a bullet in his head than fall in line. LOL.

aeolist

Banned
No he isn't. Take a break from rage posting for five seconds to do some quick googling.

I'd love to see the data on that. I'd also love to know why anyone out there is defending the ACA, and why that law has gotten even more popular now, if "people" hated almost everything that came out of his presidency (or was Obama's major signature law one of the things that slips through the cracks of "almost everything?).

the ACA was a minor patch on a totally broken system that continued to fail the american electorate during obama's tenure. the fact that republican policies are worse does not excuse the fact that democratic policies have been bad.

Kthulhu

Democrats fucked up so badly since 2012 I almost want to accuse them of self sabotage.

I will accuse them of self sabotage. They didn't give a fuck until after Trump got elected and they realized how little power they actually had. Now it's too late and we're all doomed to at least 8 years of GOP domination. Probably more since they're gonna gerrymander us even more.

House is gerrymandered. Not happening. Senate looks lost. Governorships are a stretch.

Staying negative, I guess.

I feel like my life was ruined this election :(
Stop it

Democrats lost 64 house seats in 2010

We need 21 to win it back. We can get back like half the seats in NY and California alone (theoretically)

Gerrymandering sucks but it doesn't make the difference between 64 being possible and 21 being impossible

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I think a lot of progressives are short-sighted and full of shit and can be just as dumb as their Trump-loving counterparts. I used to think that being progressive automatically put me on the right side of history but over the course of a few years and months I've come to realize that a lot of people who are radically left are too narrow-minded to get shit done, often sacrificing what's possible for the impossible and then complaining that shit isn't good enough for them to rally behind.

The word "progressive" has fucking soured me so much to the point where I hate seeing it or using it anymore.

I'm going to remain positive and hopeful that the house flips and democrats minimize losses in the senate. It's all I can do right now in addition to reminding people of upcoming elections and issues at the forefront.

I know you're shitposting because your magical Progressive Fairy didn't leave you the treats you feel entitled to, but if you have these thoughts, please get help.

aeolist

Banned
If our courts ever adequately addressed gerrymandering and voter suppression then this wouldn't even be a thing.

Anyone who tries to prevent another American from voting should be tossed in jail. It should be a form of treason.

the wave of right-wing reactionary success in most other first world countries that do not have america's problems with voting and gerrymandering make me doubt that.

centrist parties have largely ruled the world for decades. their limits have been met, their policies are failing, and they refuse to address real problems that people have.

Yeah it looks rough but you can't just hang your head and give up. Get involved in fed, state and local elections and even if you lose you'll still feel better than people who sit on the sidelines and do nothing but complain,.

Seriously. You'd expect that level of bullshit from republicans.

Republicans and "real progressives" are about tied on my annoying meter. :)

Your shit got old a long time ago. I wanna see the receipts on why Obama was a terrible president.

Is that an argument against some of the the merits of intersectional theory?

It's an argument against the fantasy that increasing the economic prospects of White America is somehow the key to curbing bigotry. Cuba still has massive racial disparities in jobs, law-enforcement and housing, even after their glorious social revolution.

Blader

the ACA was a minor patch on a totally broken system that continued to fail the american electorate during obama's tenure. the fact that republican policies are worse does not excuse the fact that democratic policies have been bad.

That minor patch improved millions of people's lives, including mine. That it did not single-handedly rebuild our healthcare system into a single-payer is not a failure of the law, it's evidence that there's more work to do, just as there's always been.

I'd still like to know the numbers behind the claim that people hated virtually everything that came out of Obama's presidency. Unless these are Republican-only polls you're sampling from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom