• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2018 Senate map just keeps getting better for Republicans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
Our chances in 2018 revolve entirely around how much damage the GOP does before the mid term. If Paul Ryan fucks with SS and Medicare we will slaughter. Of the GOP blows the Obamacare repeal we have a good chance of performing better in red states than we currently do. If all the GOP does is fiddle fuck around for 2 years regarding a wall and keeping brown people out, things look sketchy

Nah. Voter subjugation. Gerrymandering. Obstructionism against any Democrat power whatsoever. Creating more and more poor and uneducated people.

GOP will UNLEASH fuckery like no one's unleashed fuckery before. You thought '16 was bad?

Unless white people start caring, burn it all down.

Ogodei

Our chances in 2018 revolve entirely around how much damage the GOP does before the mid term. If Paul Ryan fucks with SS and Medicare we will slaughter. Of the GOP blows the Obamacare repeal we have a good chance of performing better in red states than we currently do. If all the GOP does is fiddle fuck around for 2 years regarding a wall and keeping brown people out, things look sketchy

The beauty of that is that the next election is always two years away. If enacting their own agenda terrifies them so much that they won't do it in order to hold on to power, then we could get caught in a weird equilibrium where the GOP has a permanent incumbents' advantage but is also too afraid to pull the trigger on their own awfulness to really make much hay.

Now would be the time to do something awful, with gerrymandered districts in the house and a super-favorable Senate map, and hope that voters have forgotten by 2020.

Kthulhu

Folks in this thread seem to be forgetting that the GOP congress is now obliged to take ownership of every last thing that happens to the country between now and 2018.

The majority of the country is to stupid to realize what they're doing is bad for them. Not to mention most of them don't vote in the midterms anyway.

Stop saying the GOP is bad and expecting people to vote for you, start selling yourselves to them.

As a Nevadan, I refuse to believe that Dean Heller is a shoe-in for re-election.

In November, we voted Hillary, elected the Nevada's first female senator and US Senate's first ever Latina Senator (in Catherine Cortez Masto), and turned a 3-1 Republican representative congress into a 3-1 Democratic representative Congress

I think the gaping hole in the Democrats' economic platform is what to do with the working class in rural areas. They are not only not communicating with these people well, they are also not presenting viable alternatives to tradition natural resource based industries and agriculture on which these people typically thrive. And installing solar panels on rich people's roofs is not a viable long term solution.

Democrats, while purveyors of education and the sciences, have fallen victim to the lobbying efforts of "softer" industries like software development, content creation, and banking. They have not kept up in representing the more physically-based, "hard" industrial areas of the economy. The mistake is putting all their weight behind currently non-viable renewables for base load power production like PV and wind turbines while dropping the ball on the advancement of nuclear energy, which is the real solution in the short to medium term. We fucked up big time in this regard, and now the fossil fuel industry (I.e., coal, crude, and natural gas) is going to fuck the world up massively.

If there is a single giant gripe I have with Democrats, it is this. Pushing full on nuclear energy would have massively bolstered the economy, curbed climate change, and made electricity abundant and cheap, paving the way for another revolution in moving to full on EVs in the transportation sector.

Nah. Voter subjugation. Gerrymandering. Obstructionism against any Democrat power whatsoever. Creating more and more poor and uneducated people.

GOP will UNLEASH fuckery like no one's unleashed fuckery before. You thought '16 was bad?

How do you gerrymander the senate?

Why not change your avatar from "Resist" to "I give up" if that's the case..

Ogodei

I think the gaping hole in the Democrats' economic platform is what to do with the working class in rural areas. They are not only not communicating with these people well, they are also not presenting viable alternatives to tradition natural resource based industries and agriculture on which these people typically thrive. And installing solar panels on rich people's roofs is not a viable long term solution.

Democrats, while purveyors of education and the sciences, have fallen victim to the lobbying efforts of "softer" industries like software development, content creation, and banking. They have not kept up in representing the more industrial areas of the economy. The mistake is putting all their weight behind currently non-viable renewables like PV and wind turbines while dropping the ball on the advancement of nuclear energy, which is the real solution in the short to medium term. We fucked up big time in this regard, and now the fossil fuel industry (I.e., coal, crude, and natural gas) is going to fuck the world up massively.

If there is a single giant gripe I have with Democrats, it is this. Pushing full on nuclear energy would have massively bolstered the economy, curbed climate change, and made electricity abundant and cheap, paving the way for another revolution in moving to full on EVs in the transportation sector.

Photovoltaic and Wind are becoming very cost-competitive lately. The economic transformation of solar in the last 6 years has been a stunning turnaround.

I'm not going to start panicking until the DNC leadership shakes out and strategy starts being implemented.

A lot can change in 12 months.

Zophar

The majority of the country is to stupid to realize what they're doing is bad for them. Not to mention most of them don't vote in the midterms anyway.

Please. Many conservative Republican voters are not happy with the direction the GOP has taken in the last month. Flattening out conservatives en masse into a mindless, ignorant mob does us absolutely no favors. This country has major divisions in it, but it is not as polarized as powers that be want us to think it is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You have to think long term here. Short term, yes, dmeocrats are going to get stomped.

However, lots of winnable governors races are on the ballot, and those are where gerrymandering is going to be eliminated.

Photovoltaic and Wind are becoming very cost-competitive lately. The economic transformation of solar in the last 6 years has been a stunning turnaround.

I agree, but it is still not viable to supplant coal, natural gas, and nuclear when it comes to base load power production that is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Kthulhu

Democrats, while purveyors of education and the sciences, have fallen victim to the lobbying efforts of "softer" industries like software development, content creation, and banking. They have not kept up in representing the more physically-based, "hard" industrial areas of the economy. The mistake is putting all their weight behind currently non-viable renewables like PV and wind turbines while dropping the ball on the advancement of nuclear energy, which is the real solution in the short to medium term. We fucked up big time in this regard, and now the fossil fuel industry (I.e., coal, crude, and natural gas) is going to fuck the world up massively.

The only way to do this is to either strengthen the social safety net, create a job training program, or set up UBI

All things the DNC is unwilling to do because muh taxes.

I will have to pray to the pendulum and to accelerationism. The only hope is that everybody ends up hating Trump and vote for the other party

Voter suppression is like he only thing you brought up that may have an effect. Gerrymandering has nothing to do with the senate and you should probably check out the recent ruling regarding gerrymandered districts in Wisconsin (good news)

Fucking with SS or Medicare is basically gifting the Dems 2018 and 2020

zelas

Dems didnt show up in a census year (redistricting) in 2010. We gave up power long before Trump. All that matters is power. Holier than thou bullshit doesn't amount to anything without it power.

Kthulhu

Please. Many conservative Republican voters are not happy with the direction the GOP has taken in the last month. Flattening out conservatives en masse into a mindless, ignorant mob does us absolutely no favors. This country has major divisions in it, but it is not as polarized as powers that be want us to think it is.

I live in Texas. You'd be surprised at the shit people will swallow. Everyone in my office either loves Trump or thinks he's better than Hillary.

Get out the Democratic vote before you try to court the opposition.

matthewuk

From someone who follows American politics from The UK, I really feel for you guys. No one deserves the GOP. I'm a conservative and to me the GOP look like the league of super villains.

The smartest thing the democrats could possibly do the next time they win is to open up the system more to give other political party's a chance and to find a way to remove the need to have to spend millions just to get elected. It may hurt them but its a sacrifice that would negate the toxic war in the current two party dominated system and prevent one party marshalling the system to ensure there power.

Not

Banned
You have to include his username with the banner

It'th a THWEEKWET CODE

No I haven't given up y'all. Just bleahgghggh

EDIT: I was referring to gerrymandering in the past, but I guess that doesn't make sense in the context I was going for. Sorry. Typing at a "heightened emotional state."

Heller is sort of a weird example, since he's already vulnerable. Yeah, incumbency bonus, but it's not like that saved Blanche Lincoln in 2010 or anything.

Most optimal path for Senate Democrats is to hold everything and then pick up NV/AZ and then one long shot seat. Nebraska and Texas are the only places that seems really possible even as a long shot, but if the backlash is bad enough it's not out of the question.

Of course, if we take the House the only thing we'd be incapable of blocking is appointments, but with the most likely outcome of a 50/50 split winning over Collins worrying about 2020 is more likely than having to get three crossover voters. Then in 2020 we'll have AK/MT/IA/NC/ME/CO as places to fight over. Except for NC and CO those are all uphill battles but not impossible.

The other short to medium term solution for vehicular transportation is to move away from fossil fuels and towards completely replacing them with net zero emission bio fuels like methanol. This would also kill 2 birds with one stone in that it would employ massive amounts of rural working class, as they would leverage their existing expertise in agriculture to become energy farmers. They could grow high cellulose vegetation like hemp and poplar, which are quick growing, hardy, native plants which require little resources in order to thrive. We can use massive anaerobic digesters to produce methanol en masse. Current engine tech would only need to be minimally updated. Current fuel distribution infrastructure would also only require minimal updating.

Why the fuck are we not doing this? Why do supposedly liberal/progressive parties in America not present these ideas as viable solutions to both our climate-based and economic problems? This infuriates me, and should infuriate others, as well.

Man the bed wetting in here is a bit much.

Don't throw in the towel guys, fight till the bitter end a ton can change from now until the midterms

Stop it

Democrats lost 64 house seats in 2010

We need 21 to win it back. We can get back like half the seats in NY and California alone (theoretically)

Gerrymandering sucks but it doesn't make the difference between 64 being possible and 21 being impossible

It would be great if the Dem party, in trying to unify all of us, also try to inform us which districts in each State can potentially be turned Blue. If that information IS there, somewhere, they are seriously failing to advertise it or the importance.

Kthulhu

From someone who follows American politics from The UK, I really feel for you guys. No one deserves the GOP. I'm a conservative and to me the GOP look like the league of super villains.

The smartest thing the democrats could possibly do the next time they win is to open up the system more to give other political party's a chance and to find a way to remove the need to have to spend millions just to get elected. It may hurt them but its a sacrifice that would negate the toxic war in the current two party dominated system and prevent one party marshalling the system to ensure there power.

You'd probably be considered a far left nutjob if you came here and didn't change your political views.

It's that bad.

Not

Banned
Man the bed wetting in here is a bit much.

Don't throw in the towel guys, fight till the bitter end a ton can change from now until the midterms

Bedwetting? You mean the people who thought Trump might have a chance?

"Bedwetting." That word is gonna give me Vietnam flashbacks.

I ultimately sense another Civil War brewing, intentional or not.

Wasn't one over the Civil Rights Act. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Then again, a few more competent people were in power at the time.

I ultimately sense another Civil War brewing, intentional or not.

It's 100% coming. I honestly have no doubt of that at this point, but I really don't know what form it will take. It'll look nothing like the first Civil War, and may not even be called a 'Civil War' in the history books, but we are quickly running toward a conflict event of some kind.

Bedwetting? You mean the people who thought Trump might have a chance?

"Bedwetting." That word is gonna give me Vietnam flashbacks.

Wasn't one over the Civil Rights Act. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Then again, a few more competent people were in power at the time.

Perhaps "doom and gloom" would have been a better phrase... my point being is not to throw in the towel

Geist-

The only thing keeping me somewhat hopeful is that Trump is trying to burn as many bridges as possible in as short a time period as possible. If there's not some blowback for the GOP there is literally no hope left for the country.

You sense wrong.

No, it's coming. Anyone who doesn't see that really isn't looking or is in denial. It may not be called 'Civil War, Part 2,' but we are definitely heading into a conflict event within ourselves. Elected officials in power are now totally and unapologetically throwing away the will of the majority and, in some cases like with DeVos, their own constituents. We are divided as a nation, and becoming more divided by the day. Something is going to give.

HaloSon

Banned
No, it's coming. Anyone who doesn't see that really isn't looking or is in denial. It may not be called 'Civil War, Part 2,' but we are definitely heading into a conflict event within ourselves. Elected officials in power are now totally and unapologetically throwing away the will of the majority and, in some cases like with DeVos, their own constituents. We are divided as a nation, and becoming more divided by the day. Something is going to give.

Impeach Trump.

necrosis

i'm really not holding out any hope for 2018 at this point

hopefully keith ellison takes hold of the DNC chair and dems are able to push this tangerine fucker & his ilk out of office when 2020 rolls around

Perhaps "doom and gloom" would have been a better phrase... my point being is not to throw in the towel

Yep, we're only 18 something days into this administration and today was a really bad one. Guess what? There's 636 potentially really bad days left until we can do something about this in terms of voting. Instead of spending that time screaming that all is lost, people should make peace with the fact that this is going to be a long fight and start organizing and working to get rid of Republicans from the bottom up. Wanna help limit Trump's fuckery? Work to get rid of the local and state Republicans that enable his nonsense.

The poster you quoted said the policies were influenced by Sanders. She adopted his stances. So now your talking point is that she should have had some of his stances from the beginning but because she didn't that was a problem?

Is compromise not a word in your vocabulary? The hell do some of you want.

Compromise?!? What the hell does that have to do with politics?! /s

If anything is gonna cause progressives to sabotage their own efforts and in turn help them completely screw the Democratic party over in 2018 it's this purity garbage.

Forget doing the actual work to gain support for your ideas and organizing in a way that convinces politicians that it's in their best interest to adopt your policies if they want to keep getting elected! What we should really be doing is demonizing and punishing them for not getting it right years ago, especially if they're not the person that we favored in the election!

Ac30

Storage tech still needs to catch up, though. Which is why Gen IV nuclear should have a place in the modern power grid.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's 100% coming.
+
It'll look nothing like the first Civil War, and may not even be called a 'Civil War' in the history books
= Does not compute.

If it's nothing like the first Civil War, then why bother calling it that?

we are quickly running toward a conflict event of some kind.

OK, that's a little better. We are running towards a conflict. How big? We are always running towards some conflict or another for the entirety of US history.

Are people going to die in this conflict? How many?

Because if half the country doesn't go to war with each other, and 2% of the population doesn't die as a result, then calling it a "Civil War" is hyperreactionary and ultimately ruins your argument.

Lime

he thinks there's nothing wrong with the policies that obama and clinton pushed and that there's just a messaging problem.

the 2016 election was the biggest refutation of the democratic party's policies and history imaginable, but party leaders are ignoring the giant warning signs and continuing to drive us over a cliff.

lol this fucking Perez guy what the fuck is he thinking?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Many conservative GOP weren't happy with the direction of Trump's nomination

Many of them weren't happy with the direction of the Tea Party

They still showed up and voted

Republicans vote

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, I do think the GOP is going to gain a few seats in the senate, just by the math of it. However, Governorships, the House, and State legislatures are open season, and I think democrats can make big gains. People need to get out and start working today to make it happen, though.

Pessimism does nobody any good. Get angry, but use that anger to get people to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom