• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2020 Oscar Winners

HE1NZ

Banned
I loved Joker but thought outside of Joaquin, the music and cinematography it was quite average with it's dialogue and plot.
I don't believe movies are sum of their parts. The character study of mentally insane person and Joaquin performance and the way the movie framed around them make it great by itself. It's also fits into Batman universe brilliantly and a beautifully made movie.

HE1NZ

Banned
1917, yet another ww2 movie where we already got 3000 movies from. Its a tiresome and overly done concept by now. Guess the one shot angle could make it look special that's about it.
To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people confused wars in it. There's nothing particularly WW1 about it, other than a short crossing of no-man's-land scene. Germans are all vicious maniacs that want to kill. As Nigel Farage pointed out there wouldn't be any destroyed tanks abandoned on the battlefield in early 1917. The videogamey camera would be more effective in actual WW2 movie.

DKehoe

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people confused wars in it. There's nothing particularly WW1 about it, other than a short crossing of no-man's-land scene. Germans are all vicious maniacs that want to kill. As Nigel Farage pointed out there wouldn't be any destroyed tanks abandoned on the battlefield in early 1917. The videogamey camera would be more effective in actual WW2 movie.

I honestly don’t get how you can look at 1917 and think it doesn’t look like The First World War.

Ballthyrm

The Oscar keep picking average to uninspired Animation movies.
They have so many Disney insiders that Pixar or Disney keep winning by default. (11th time in the last 13 years ...)

I wonder how many voters even saw the other movies in the category.
Literally every other movie was better than Toy Story 4.

The last time they lost it was because "Spiderman : into the spiderverse" was in front, and they put CARS II, a trashfire of a movie.
I mean , it took, literally one if not the best animated movie of the last decade.
Call me a cynic but if they had put any other movie of theirs, it would probably have won over Spiderman

For the short categorie, they picked the obvious polically charged one instead.
"Daughter" was the better short by far.

At that point they should give the Oscar to Disney every year and no even bother presenting it.

Last edited:

Fbh

This might actually the be the first time ever that my favorite movie of the year ends up winning best picture at the Oscars.
Really happy for Bong Joon-ho, he has consistently been one of the best current film makers (at least IMO) and it's nice seeing him get this well deserved recognition.

Also LOL, seems like the Koreans were the only ones that got the memo from Ricky's opening speech at the Golden Globes. Meanwhile we have Joaquin Phoenix going on some weird tangent about cow milk.

The Oscar keep picking average to uninspired Animation movies.
They have so many Disney insiders that Pixar or Disney keep winning by default. (11th time in the last 13 years ...)

I wonder how many voters even saw the other movies in the category.
Literally every other movie was better than Toy Story 4.

I honestly think this is one of those categories where they mostly don't bother to watch the movies. It's one of those where I can perfectly imagine it being like "unless someone speaks up we'll just give it to disney as usual"

Remember when freaking Big Hero 6 won over The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I don't really think Joaquin Phoenix is an amazing actor. He has a statuesque face that is magnetic to look at and I think that does half the work. I feel the same about daniel day Lewis.

You know who's a fucking great actor? Peter serafinowicz.

Statuesque, that's a good word :)

Naibel

Remember when freaking Big Hero 6 won over The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?

They did FUCKIN' what !!!???

Big Hero 6 !!?? Against the most beautiful animated movie of the last decade ??

:messenger_hushed:

Holy crap, they were out of their minds !! Or bought out by Disney ! Or both !

Last edited:

Fbh

sup with 1917, good?

It's like a better Dunkirk .
A nicely shot and edited movie that's all about making you feel as if you were there. Much like Dunkirk though, I think it looses a lot of its appeal if you don't watch it in a movie theater (or at least on a very big TV with a really good audio system)

Parasite was massively overrated and didn't deserve a single award it got. Critics and voters loved it because it was Korean and had a "rich man bad" message (yes, it portrayed the poor family as evil too... congratulations for both-sidesing, Bong, so deep).

The ending was lame. Some adjustments to the story and it could have been a much better film.

DonJorginho

Banned
Parasite was massively overrated and didn't deserve a single award it got. Critics and voters loved it because it was Korean and had a "rich man bad" message (yes, it portrayed the poor family as evil too... congratulations for both-sidesing, Bong, so deep).

The ending was lame. Some adjustments to the story and it could have been a much better film.

The rich family was not shown as evil in the film? One of the things the film got so right was how it did not pick sides at all.

What was your favourite films of 2019 then if you do not mind me asking?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds like you really didn't get it then. Since when was demonstrating the complexity of human behaviour both-sidesing? Perhaps you should step back and view the movie through a lens other than the culture war - just as it warps the perspectives of the far left so it does to their opponents sometimes.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Did we watch the same movie?
The rich family ended up being the least evil people in the movie, how is that "rich man bad"?

voters loved it because it was Korean

No Korean movie has even made the foreign language category nominations, let alone best picture.

Last edited:
There's nothing complex about Parasite, and the director confirmed the title refers to both the rich and the poor in an interview. He was both-sidesing. He also said it was about capitalism, go figure.

The rich in the film are portrayed as brainless, selfish morons and the poor are portrayed as clever, selfish morons.

There is nothing about "complex human behavior" in this film, it is simplistic and reductionist. The redditors praising it as deep are delusional and giving it a pass because of how entertaining, Korean, and political it was. The epilogue arc was stupid and the film was too over-the-top for its own good, particularly the final twists.

The first half was quite entertaining and I still say it could have been much better with some plot adjustments.

Last edited:
No Korean movie has even made the foreign language category nominations, let alone best picture.

Exactly. The Academy pats itself on the back for "finally" giving a woke Korean film the win. It's a choice like Green Book or Moonlight in that it's the most politically relevant, virtue signalling film they could have chosen (not that the film itself is virtue signalling--I mean the Academy itself).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
He was both-sidesing.

You still haven't explained why this is a bad thing, or how it's even possible if you say the film is "rich man bad". Again, the rich family in Parasite are by far the least evil people in the movie by the end of it. It's not even close.

Again, you're not actually explaining anything here. This doesn't mean anything.

I'll give you that it went pretty over-the-top towards the end, but I really don't think it detracts from the movie, and I wouldn't have expected less from the guy that did Snowpiercer.

DonJorginho

Banned
They clearly don't watch all the nominees. Toy Story 4 was a total piece of crap.

I haven't liked Pixar films for so long now, they just feel so generic and formulaic.

Last film of their's I had an inkling of enjoyment with was Zootopia.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't liked Pixar films for so long now, they just feel so generic and formulaic.

Last film of their's I had an inkling of enjoyment with was Zootopia.

I loved Pixar. I really did. Somehow they lost their way and it's hard to pinpoint the cause. Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films I think the last one I really enjoyed was Toy Story 3. Cars 2 was awful, Brave was just not very interesting, Monsters U was a dire sequel to a great original, Inside Out was trying to be a bit too clever for its own good but really didn't have anything interesting to say, nor a plot or characters worth my time, didn't watch Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory or Cars 3 but Coco was ok but nothing special, Incredibles 2 walked back on some of the wonder of Incredibles 1 (the original having that memorable line if everyone's special nobody's special - couldn't get away with that now) and yeah Toy Story 4 was disappointing. Even their short movies are all basically the same these days. I wonder what happened. Up to 2010 I honestly enjoyed every damn film they made.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was surprised that "Hair Love" won best animated short... But it IS a beautiful piece and I felt what was going on in it.

Oscars got it right this year

Ford v Ferrari sounded amazing
1917 looked amazing
Joaquin and Parasite were amazing

Parasite had me thinking about it for weeks after seeing it.

Best Picture was pretty stacked this year IMO, I’ve seen all of them except Little Women, and they were all great

I would have given supporting actress to Bates over Dern but that was a tough category

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Toy Story 4 winning = We haven't seen these animated films and toy story 3 won last time so why not throw it at another mediocore Pixar/Disney property, cause we are on ABC afterall.

Fbh

A bit of a sidenote but I'm out of touch with current pop music....... what's the deal with Billie Elish? Danger hair girl that looks like she took too many sleeping pills and doesn't sing particularly well?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
A bit of a sidenote but I'm out of touch with current pop music....... what's the deal with Billie Elish? Danger hair girl that looks like she took too many sleeping pills and doesn't sing particularly well?
She had one song I quite liked, the rest is.. nope. But she has the right opinions.

A heavily-marketed "depressed" homeschooled singer whose parents are both in the entertainment industry and whose brother writes all her music for her.

Then, surprise surprise, she won a ton of Grammys even though her album is like 50% trash if you actually sit down and listen to it.

Last edited:

Barnabot

but... but... the edge of democracy was supposed to win. it was the most truthful documentary ever created featuring all the parties from 2016 coup done in brazil... except the brazilian people. trust meeeeeeeeee.

lula livre p*!

american factory pfffft.

Parasite is hands down one of the best movies of all time. It's also the first movie that won BP since No Country For Old Men that is truly a masterpiece. So it's not often that the Academy picks the best one, it's also not often that there even is a "best one" like a clearly special film that is above everything else, but stars aligned last night and the Academy correctly picked the special film and I'm very happy. I still can't believe that Oldboy wasn't even nominated for foreign language that year, god fucking damn it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Parasite is hands down one of the best movies of all time. It's also the first movie that won BP since No Country For Old Men that is truly a masterpiece. So it's not often that the Academy picks the best one, it's also not often that there even is a "best one" like a clearly special film that is above everything else, but stars aligned last night and the Academy correctly picked the special film and I'm very happy. I still can't believe that Oldboy wasn't even nominated for foreign language that year, god fucking damn it.

I absolutely loved No Country For Old Men. One of my all-time favourites, it's just fucking perfect on every level. I'm going to have to go find Oldboy aren't I.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Glad the Irishman did win jacksh#t. I´d rather watch this, than The Irishmen. 3h of NOTHING.

I couldnt agree more. Someone described it as a bunch of old guys sitting and talking and that’s about it. The scenes where Pacino and DeNiro were sitting in their skivvies in the hotel room were cringy and the scene at the wedding Was so long and drawn out.

I feel like Scorcese would have done better if he went the wolf of Wall Street route and hired different actors than the same old guys he’s always working with.

Corrik

I felt Parasite was good, even great. But lacked something to jump into the amazing category. That said, I thought it was easily better than Joker so maybe it just truly was the best movie this year. I didn't see 1917 yet tho and I like war movies... Besides Dunkirk.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Also, is this the first time that two different actors won an Oscar for portraying the same character? Or does Vito Corleone count as the first?

I absolutely loved No Country For Old Men. One of my all-time favourites, it's just fucking perfect on every level. I'm going to have to go find Oldboy aren't I.

No Country is so impressive, it truly is timeless. You never watched Oldboy? Do it as soon as possible, just don't ever watch the american remake because it may give you AIDS.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No Country is so impressive, it truly is timeless. You never watched Oldboy? Do it as soon as possible, just don't ever watch the american remake because it may give you AIDS.

I've just put it on my Plex server so fingers crossed I'll have fun with it. Wasn't aware of an American remake, I've grabbed Oldboy 2003 which wikipedia assures me is Korean so I'm hoping I got it right.

I've just put it on my Plex server so fingers crossed I'll have fun with it. Wasn't aware of an American remake, I've grabbed Oldboy 2003 which wikipedia assures me is Korean so I'm hoping I got it right.

Yeah you're safe, the american one is recent. If you like it, there's The Handmaiden by the same director and I Saw the Devil by the same lead actor. Korean cinema is a rabbit hole lol.

Dural

Yeah you're safe, the american one is recent. If you like it, there's The Handmaiden by the same director and I Saw the Devil by the same lead actor. Korean cinema is a rabbit hole lol.

He should check out the other two revenge movies from Chan-wook Park; Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance. Oldboy was far and away the best of the three, but the other two are still good.

He should check out the other two revenge movies from Chan-wook Park; Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Lady Vengeance. Oldboy was far and away the best of the three, but the other two are still good.

Oh absolutely, Park's revenge trilogy is entirely awesome. Korean crime movies are so good, if he's still not satisfied with all of those then there's Memories of Murder and Chaser and so much stuff.

Saber

I was expecting things like Once in Hollywood or Joker to be winners...but to see Parasite stealing the show was something else.

It was a good show. Lot of interesting nominations and winners. Wish my godness Scarlett could win one 💙

The only winner I watched is Ford v Ferrari and I forgot about it 5 minutes later. It was fun in the moment though. I liked the hot brake discs.

The Oscars, eh. You can´t call them all white due to the wins after the reform. #Oscarsallmale next? They kind of are but the whole industry is burned like that and it will take a long time to fix itself.

I don´t get why Gamers Rise Up - 2019 was nominated for 11 if it only won 2 but Mr. J is now a legit prestige role. I wonder what this will do to future WB films. Will a Batman ever win? Netflix got legit snubbed though. Marriage Story and especially The Irishman are proper films. Parasite is at least a highlight and Bong Joon-ho directed some quality films before, most of all Memories of Murder. Obama kinda won an Oscar today btw as he produced the winning documentary.
In conclusion: Joker was my favorite film of 2019 and I saw every wining film outside of the short doc and Judy. I´ll watch the later tomorrow. I also saw every Best Picture winner ever. A slightly fruitless endeavor but the very first winner ever Wings is pretty good:

Last edited:
Top Bottom