• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2021 Golden Joystick Awards

skit_data

Ultimate Game of the Year
5. It Takes Two
4. Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart
3. Metroid Dread
2. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
1. Resident Evil Village
Seems like a decent list, outside of Mass Effect, 2nd place wth?

Edit: Not a bad game by any means, just wierd to have a remake collection on 2nd place.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They are a decade old, so yes.

You judge intelligence by personal opinion of a video game. Says more about you than it does me.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Bragr

Banned
You judge intelligence by personal opinion of a video game. Says more about you than it does me.
When they vote Dark Souls the all-time greatest game, then yes, it comes down to intelligence.

And you have missed the whole concept of GOTY being awarded to games that actually came out this year.

Topher

Gold Member
When they vote Dark Souls the all-time greatest game, then yes, it comes down to intelligence.

And you have missed the whole concept of GOTY being awarded to games that actually came out this year.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition did come out this year.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Mass Effect Legendary Edition is my GOTY. So......I'm an idiot then. Got it

It's a remaster (not remake) of a game for 8th-gen console hardware capabilities, where AFAIK the only non-graphics stuff they changed was to take away Miranda's butt-shots.
If that was good enough for a GOTY award then I guess Skyrim would have won the golden joystick GOTY every year they got a special/definitive/special-er/this-time-is-the-last-we-promise/just-kidding-here's-another release.

Your personal preference is as good as anyone else's, but in a year that follows the release of a new generation of consoles to consider that as runner-up to game of the year speaks a lot about the game choices, jury and voters, IMHO.

It's a remaster (not remake) of a game for 8th-gen console hardware capabilities, where AFAIK the only non-graphics stuff they changed was to take away Miranda's butt-shots.
If that was good enough for a GOTY award then I guess Skyrim would have won the golden joystick GOTY every year they got a special/definitive/special-er/this-time-is-the-last-we-promise/just-kidding-here's-another release.

Your personal preference is as good as anyone else's, but in a year that follows the release of a new generation of consoles to consider that as runner-up to game of the year speaks a lot about the game choices, jury and voters, IMHO.
Means nobody voted. They should have put TLoU2: 60fps in the list. People would have voted in droves. What would be the anti-TLoU2 vote though?

Topher

Gold Member

This was three games remastered with all content into one game and it was really fantastic. That wasn't a special/definitive/special situation at all.

No, it says your opinions differ from others and that's about it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut.
Obviously.
Looks like most generic open world with people just standing there and talking. Trailing missions included. Collectibles and repetitive open world stuff too. I felt the same about days gone and it was terrible but at least funny.
got seems like exactly the game I want to avoid. But I am set to try it on ps5 anyway because 2nd son was great.
hope you are right!

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This was three games remastered with all content into one game and it was really fantastic. That wasn't a special/definitive/special situation at all.

No, it says your opinions differ from others and that's about it.
It's a bunch of decade-old games with better textures and a couple of better shaders.
That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

They call it Mass Effect Legendary Edition.
You know what other games got a Legendary Edition?

- Skyrim Legendary Edition (wow what a surprise I am shocked I tell you. shocked)
- Overwatch Legendary Edition
- Elite: Dangerous Legendary Edition
- Evoland Legendary Edition
- Injustice 2 Legendary Edition
- Probably a lot more that just didn't appear on my 5 second google search and I won't bother to link.

Calling it Legendary Edition doesn't make it any different than special, definitive or whatever. It's a different name for the same thing.
Again: not an opinion, it's a fact.

Looks like most generic open world with people just standing there and talking. Trailing missions included. Collectibles and repetitive open world stuff too. I felt the same about days gone and it was terrible but at least funny.
got seems like exactly the game I want to avoid. But I am set to try it on ps5 anyway because 2nd son was great.
hope you are right!
youre confusing the why GOT: Directors Cut was mentioned.

Bragr

Banned
Mass Effect Legendary Edition did come out this year.
So should a remaster of Master of Puppets win album of the year? should the blue-ray versions of Lord of Rings win best movie in 2011?

The idea is that you celebrate and recognize new creative endeavors that were released this year. It's not about what you enjoyed the most this year, it's about the new stuff that you have never seen before.

Topher

Gold Member
It's a bunch of decade-old games with better textures and a couple of better shaders.
That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

And it looked and played great.

They call it Mass Effect Legendary Edition.
You know what other games got a Legendary Edition?

- Skyrim Legendary Edition (wow what a surprise I am shocked I tell you. shocked)
- Overwatch Legendary Edition
- Elite: Dangerous Legendary Edition
- Evoland Legendary Edition
- Injustice 2 Legendary Edition
- Probably a lot more that just didn't appear on my 5 second google search and I won't bother to link.

Calling it Legendary Edition doesn't make it any different than special, definitive or whatever. It's a different name for the same thing.
Again: not an opinion, it's a fact.

And all those facts are entirely irrelevant as they are being used to bolster your opinion. You don't think the game should have been included. That's your opinion and that's fine. I think otherwise. That's my opinion. You can bring up all the facts you want but Mass Effect Legendary Edition was the most fun I had in a game all year. Apparently a lot of people agree. If you think that "speaks a lot" about me and others then I'm truly baffled at such a broad and trivial generalization.

So should a remaster of Master of Puppets win album of the year? should the blue-ray versions of Lord of Rings win best movie in 2011?

The idea is that you celebrate and recognize new creative endeavors that were released this year. It's not about what you enjoyed the most this year, it's about the new stuff that you have never seen before.

My reply above works here as well. Damn opinions and then people that have them!

Last edited:

elliot5

PS2 best hardware for #2? Really? It was a great console with a fantastic library, but ... I don't think the hardware was very special was it? I mean the super slim model was great, but.. yeah..

maybe im just salty the dvd reader on our thicc boi crapped out

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
hope you are right!
I had a slight worry about Ghost of Tsushima's open world before it released but I ended up absolutely loving it!!!

The combat never got old for me and I loved how you could explore and encounter side quest boss fights

Bragr

Banned
And it looked and played great.

And all those facts are entirely irrelevant as they are being used to bolster your opinion. You don't think the game should have been included. That's your opinion and that's fine. I think otherwise. That's my opinion. You can bring up all the facts you want but Mass Effect Legendary Edition was the most fun I had in a game all year. Apparently a lot of people agree. If you think that "speaks a lot" about me and others then I'm truly baffled at such a broad and trivial generalization.

My reply above works here as well. Damn opinions and then people that have them!
It's not a problem that you liked Mass Effect, it's an awesome game, but giving old games GOTY removes the whole idea of having GOTY in the first place. I'm in the same boat, my most favorite games this year were games from previous years, but to superimpose them into yearly rankings just ruins the whole thing. You are trying to peg a rectangle into a hole shaped like a triangle.

Top Bottom