• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2024 Olympics US city candidate is...Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry West Coast, but I'm rooting for either Boston or DC. I think those cities would be able to handle the influx of tourists much better.

DC can't even handle traffic coming from the DMV area. Shit, we can barely handle snow hitting the ground and it's not even that uncommon. Plus, I have no idea where they would even build the stadium unless it's out in the Maryland or Virginia much further way from downtown DC.

There was plenty of hysteria surrounding traffic and congestion in the build up to the London games. No problems really. Yeah, some roads get shut down but generally people just took it easy for the 2/3 weeks and made alternative arrangements (start work earlier/later, work from home) and enjoyed the games.

Amazing event to have in your city.

DC can't even handle traffic coming from the DMV area. Shit, we can barely handle snow hitting the ground and it's not even that uncommon. Plus, I have no idea where they would even build the stadium unless it's out in the Maryland or Virginia much further way from downtown DC.

Haven't been to SF, but driving in DC was like a dream compared to Boston and LA. Every major city has terrible traffic so that's expected. You've got a point about the stadiums, but I assume they will spread them out regardless of what city they choose.

Blader

I'm conflicted about Boston. On the one hand, the city will be an absolute disaster. On the other hand, this could be the kick in the ass needed to finally overhaul the T.

Sorry West Coast, but I'm rooting for either Boston or DC. I think those cities would be able to handle the influx of tourists much better.

Boston can barely handle Fenway crowds.

Miletius

Rooting for SF, only because I live close and would like to attend. Honestly though I'd be fine with anywhere. But, go SF!

CodonAUG

I live in SF and dont want the Olympics here. This region is not capable of hosting such an event.

LA sounds good to me though.

Gallbaro

Banned
Stay the fuck away from the east coast please.

We already rule the world, go to the west coast and enjoy moderate climate.

Megasoum

Banned
We're still paying for the 1976 Olympic Stadium here in Montréal... And the worst part is the the thing is in ruins so it's unsafe to use for most of the year....ugh

Mesoian

No Boston, we have enough trouble with people freaking out about our roads.

Unless by Boston, they mean foxboro, and then it's fine.

I'm conflicted about Boston. On the one hand, the city will be an absolute disaster. On the other hand, this could be the kick in the ass needed to finally overhaul the T.

LOL yeah right.

Boston can barely handle Fenway crowds.

Fuck, Boston can barely handle BRUINS crowds.

WedgeX

Banned
DC would just tear down RFK stadium since it will be empty soon anyhow and put the Olympic stadium there and subsequently offer it to the NFL. And it's right on top of the metro stop. Dooooone.

Fuchsdh

C'mon DC!

That'd be great. I don't know where they would build facilities though.

But we really would appreciate the infrastructure/transit cash injection.

Hell no. Traffic is a mess as it is. The Olympics are not an economic benefit, why would you want it?

ivysaur12

Banned
Listen, I'll take shitty LA traffic for a few weeks if it means that it'll make them finish the Metro.

I want my Santa Monica Blvd line from DTLA to Santa Monica before I'm 50.

tbm24

I'd enjoy seeing how they'd fit the Olympics into Boston. Also I'd visit and enjoy the festivities.

cruets

All those cities got shit traffic.

LA all the way. When last LA had the Olympics we actually made a profit.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Why would anyone from the US want to put the filthy shithole that is LA on the world stage for all to see?

I'd be cool with it being in SF/Bay Area, we could use the transit and infrastructure upgrades and maybe the Olympic Village would make for some good housing after it's done which is also much needed

Why would anyone from the US want to put the filthy shithole that is LA on the world stage for all to see?

LA has run two very successful Summer Olympics, has most of the infrastructure, and quite frankly just as good as any of the other possible cities. The traffic is going to be a problem around any big city, since most of them have long outgrown their infrastructure due to budget concerns and NIMBY syndrome.

I would tolerate the fustercluck this would create in DC (where I am) if the inevitable capital injections actually help them build the new metro lines.

thebeeks

Banned
I used to hope maybe someday Dallas would get to host the Olympics, but we shat the bed with a mere Super Bowl.

So, my vote goes to DC only because it'd be much easier for me to visit.

Nyoro SF

Listen, I'll take shitty LA traffic for a few weeks if it means that it'll make them finish the Metro.

I want my Santa Monica Blvd line from DTLA to Santa Monica before I'm 50.

Hm... actually, that's not a bad thing lol. Maybe I'll root for the ridiculous spending that LA will do if they get the Olympics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom