• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

Edmond Dantès;165412538 said:
They're exhibiting previous art cars this year in various locations, but no new designs.

boo!

Looking forward to the Aston one but
Go Corvette!

Dave_6

Nissan is going retro on one of their cars:
17573821674_f3f5557182_o.png

dubc35

Hmm, not great from that angle but I'll hold final opinion until I see the rest, and the car on track at speed.

dat front splitter

Pacbois

The Nissan looks so weird, sort of like a retro futuristic car from the 50's. Don't expect them to be a serious contender, this year will be all about Audi vs. Porsche.
Oh and Toyota :lol

Shaneus

Edmond Dantès;165539663 said:
Thank you olore, but I just can't muster any genuine enthusiasm for Formula 1 in its current state.
Really not missing much :(

So, I can't remember what the deal with streaming was this year for the WEC (or even just Le Mans)... is it free, or is there a way to pay a one-off fee for a quality HD stream for the weekend?

Edmond Dantès;165508583 said:
Porsche have also arrived:

p5OzVwH.jpg
Holy fucking shit. That is sex.

I thought they weren't that good so far in this year's WEC ? I know Le Mans is different but still.
They were well off pace at Spa, and not particularly impressive at Silverstone.

I'm just not ready to count them out. Le Mans is the one place where they have something to prove.

I appreciate the effort from Nissan for giving us the classic scheme, but it is not a good look for that car. It's like one of those "what you think you look like/what you actually look like" meme pics.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Really not missing much :(

So, I can't remember what the deal with streaming was this year for the WEC (or even just Le Mans)... is it free, or is there a way to pay a one-off fee for a quality HD stream for the weekend?

i dont know if eurosport geoblocks its stream but they are usually pretty good and they have live coverage of everything from the last training session through qualifying and the whole race. its in the ballpark of 6 or 7 euros for a month

I thought they weren't that good so far in this year's WEC ? I know Le Mans is different but still.

I think Toyota were still running a high downforce setting at Spa, hence they were well behind Porshe and the two low down force Audi's. They were only racing the 3rd Audi.

Shaneus

i dont know if eurosport geoblocks its stream but they are usually pretty good and they have live coverage of everything from the last training session through qualifying and the whole race. its in the ballpark of 6 or 7 euros for a month
So if I can subscribe to the Eurosport UK player, that'll get me full, unfettered access (possibly multichannel) to Le Mans (and other WEC races if I sub for that long)? I really can't find any info on it.

I can get to the Eurosport UK website though, so my geounblocking software works :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So if I can subscribe to the Eurosport UK player, that'll get me full, unfettered access (possibly multichannel) to Le Mans (and other WEC races if I sub for that long)? I really can't find any info on it.

I can get to the Eurosport UK website though, so my geounblocking software works :)
In theory yes. There are two subscription choices; a non committal service which involves a one-off payment for any given month or a 12 month subscription. The former is better value for your purposes. Just pay the charge for June, August and October for the remaining WEC races.

Steiner84

yes. that should be the case.
there is eurosport 1 and 2 (both HD) that have 24/7 programm.
Lemans will be covered throught the 24 hours on one of those two channels at all times. but it can alternate between the 2 channels if they think there is something else they want to show on eurosport 1.
there will most likely not be mutlichannel broadcast of lemans like haveing a world feed and a cockpit feed for example.
When there is a tennis torunament goin they do have more channels ( i think up to 9) where you can select which game you want to see.
but with te player you should be able to see everything lemans eursport is covering in any way. the race will be broadcasted 24hoursv nonstop with commentary at all times (mostly 2 commentator plus alternating expert). at least thats on german eursport. I dont think the english one is different but i dont know for sure.

Watevaman

So based on current news on who's going to be entering again in future years, which year do you guys think would be the best to plan a trip to see the race? I wish I could go this year, but it's way too late to organize a trip (from the US). I've wanted to go for the longest time and possibly take my dad before he becomes too old to travel comfortably. I guess any year is good, but isn't Ferrari going to be fielding a prototype in the coming years?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So based on current news on who's going to be entering again in future years, which year do you guys think would be the best to plan a trip to see the race? I wish I could go this year, but it's way too late to organize a trip (from the US). I've wanted to go for the longest time and possibly take my dad before he becomes too old to travel comfortably. I guess any year is good, but isn't Ferrari going to be fielding a prototype in the coming years?
There may well be an influx of manufacturers in 2017 or the reverse and some could leave due to the proposed rule changes.

Either you wait for 2017 and see what endurance racing looks like then or you visit in 2016. A year in which you're pretty much guaranteed to see at least four manufacturers competing for outright victory.

Steiner84

without ever beeing there i would think that it is an experience in itself and you should not restrict yourself by possible manufacturers.
Do it before its too late i say, it will be awesome.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
without ever beeing there i would think that it is an experience in itself and you should not restrict yourself by possible manufacturers.
Do it before its too late i say, it will be awesome.
Indeed. It's all about the experience at the end of the day. Experiencing the 24 hours is something you never forget.

Rebellion with their rather shiny livery:

NgUnLvW.jpg

ByKolles have gone grey:

Pf8MZiS.jpg

The reigning champions arrive:

1nVfA8K.jpg

dalin80

Banned
Just a wild guess, but I think Nissan will have competitive pace but not reliability.

And Toyota will contend for the win.

This year the Nissan will be running Front wheel drive only and with just the 2mj of energy recovery compared to the 8mj through 4wd they originally planned. Their pace is not going to be good.

Toyota have been stuffed at every round of the WEC so far, doubt they are going to feature in the audi/porsche fight.

DD

This year the Nissan will be running Front wheel drive only and with just the 2mj of energy recovery compared to the 8mj through 4wd they originally planned. Their pace is not going to be good.
But it's still 1250bhp, right?

dalin80

Banned
But it's still 1250bhp, right?

Nope, the 1250 was engine and hybrid combined, with only 2mj vs 8 I would guess closer to 850/900 and as the other cars are around the 1100 mark at full boost the Nissan is heavily compromised.

It has got some fancy low drag aero thanks to the very open back end and skinny rear tyres but I doubt that will help much to overcome such a huge loss. Combined with it being the first race outing after missing the other WEC events I would expect the nissan to be racing in it's own LMP1.5 class.

Next year will be the big year for the concept.

DD

Nope, the 1250 was engine and hybrid combined, with only 2mj vs 8 I would guess closer to 850/900 and as the other cars are around the 1100 mark at full boost the Nissan is heavily compromised.

It has got some fancy low drag aero thanks to the very open back end and skinny rear tyres but I doubt that will help much to overcome such a huge loss. Combined with it being the first race outing after missing the other WEC events I would expect the nissan to be racing in it's own LMP1.5 class.

Wait, I've read that originally this car had 1500bhp, but they tuned it down to 1250bhp to make it more reliable. I know that they've also scraped the idea of making the electric powertrain to add torque on the rear tires, but I didn't knew about this new reduction on the general power. Damn, I was rooting for them to do well, but... this sux. :p

Agreed, but I'm hesitant to count any of these massive factory efforts out until we see some track times.

The only thing that'll surprise me about the Nissans is if they're running after 24 hours. :lol

dalin80

Banned
As we haven't seen any of Nissans testing so far it's a complete guess but I'm going to go with 2 of the cars finishing but one in the LMP2 field.

So who is playing the Ferrari drinking game this year? A swig for each time one is off the road, half a glass for each time one crashes and a full glass for each time they cause a crash with a LMP1.

dalin80

Banned
Quick question,
would these cars beat an F1 car? F1 has been so dumbed down now.

They would be kerb stomped in pure qualifying pace but in current race spec they would finish midfield-ish depending on track. It's one of the reasons why the F1 strategy group has suddenly decided to try and make the cars 3 or 4s a lap faster as the usual 'fastest, most advanced' cars cliche isn't quite holding up at the moment.

The fact that LMP'1 have the pace to compete with the back half of an F1 grid and after 24 hours of non stop racing still has that exact same pace is what makes them impressive. Done 22 hours of hard racing and most of the car is now duct-tape? Meh, might as well set a new fastest lap anyway.

blanky

Something odd about the Audi is how they closed their vent in the front. The Spa 2015 setup, which they announced to be their Le Mans setup, still has the vent open. And you can see that they put a panel in the vent in the le mans pictures

11225893_1554525088146225_1853553926_n.jpg

I wonder if that's a temporary thing or if they really did change their minds. Can't wait for the test tomorrow, is there an online stream accessible somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom