• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 |OT| Nissan enter the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveCake

It has STARTED :D

I wish LeMans could be 24 days not 24 hours it seems to go too quick :(

(not trying to go off topic, but would love the Nissan GT-R LM NISMO in Project CARS)

dalin80

Banned
Goddamn talk about dropping the Hammer. That is absurdly quick although I think it will be discounted for track limits. Still for endurance racers they can hustle.

LoveCake

Qualifying in the sunset.

This is like a religious experience.

EDIT: Holy fucking wow at that time.

They have three qualifying sessions & one has to be at night, they used to take the average time of each of the drivers to get the qualifying time (i don't know off hand if they still do this) but each driver must post a time in the qualifying sessions.

They have three qualifying sessions & one has to be at night, they used to take the average time of each of the drivers to get the qualifying time (i don't know off hand if they still do this) but each driver must post a time in the qualifying sessions.

They streamlined the format a bit this year. Qualifying times are still an average, but only of the two best laps, (one for each nominated driver).

Juicy Bob

Don't worry mate, I've watched Le Mans for years. I know what the deal is ;)

Juicy Bob

Funny how the GTR is losing out in the corners when the entire point of the front-loaded design was to generate a fucktonne of downforce.

so why wasnt Nissan not able to fix the hybrid system? i suppose it was not working during practice 2 weeks ago because they had similar lap times.

dalin80

Banned
Funny how the GTR is losing out in the corners when the entire point of the front-loaded design was to generate a fucktonne of downforce.

Kind of, it was to make the rear aero and diffuser much more efficient allowing much skinnier aero and a higher speed. Which has worked as the car running with no hybrid power is still hitting a mighty 330kmh. The hybrid system coupled with 4wd should have been enough to drag it around the corners and make up for the low downforce but that as we all now know simply isn't working for this year.

LoveCake

Actually that is fast for them, the car simply isn't ready for this.

I think it may have been better if they had put one of the cars into either Spa or Silverstone in hindsight though.

I just have the feeling that they are going to be at the back & then end up not finishing through issues, i hope i'm wrong though.

Whats the news on the hybrid? i have seen people on twitter etc saying that they are not using the hybrid but still carrying the weight, i cannot find any confirmation though?

Pacbois

I think it may have been better if they had put one of the cars into either Spa or Silverstone in hindsight though.

I just have the feeling that they are going to be at the back & then end up not finishing through issues, i hope i'm wrong though.

Whats the news on the hybrid? i have seen people on twitter etc saying that they are not using the hybrid but still carrying the weight, i cannot find any confirmation though?

They have to keep the Hybrid system in the car.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Only 3 seconds off the all-time record when the Mulsanne straight had no chicanes.
It won't be long until the FIA start to restrict these cars again.
This could be the golden age of this era of cars.

dalin80

Banned
Only 3 seconds off the all-time record when the Mulsanne straight had no chicanes.

I may be wrong on this as it's an odd political situation. I think the FIA head the WEC and can determine the rules for that but the ACO run and dictate lemans, as lemans is the jewel of the series if it came down to it the teams would build their cars to ACO standards and tell the FIA to go jump.

The ACO is a major reason why lemans is so far removed from F1, very open to the public, social media and the internet with flexible common sense rules.

*I think* anyway.

LoveCake

The current rules are in place for a few more yet i'm sure they only brought the current rules in last year?

I think the only reason they would try to slow the cars is to try & stop cars flipping over, but with the mandatory vents/holes/aero over the wheel housings i think they have solved this issue, also there is too much diversity in the cars at the moment they cannot do any thing drastic to change the cars, maybe bigger restrictors but that's all.

in 2012 they announced the rule changes that would come in to place in 2014 http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/17/le-mans-rule-changes-for-2014-announced-engine-restrictions-eas/ they don't change the rules very often from what i remember as the constructors have to know that if they design & build a car it will be eligible for a set number of years.

LoveCake

Not really sure about a full course red flag for the #7 that has spun then got back on the track?

EDIT oh the #7 got back on the track & then spun again & hit the wall

Spades

Hello LeMansGAF!

I fucking love this race. I try to go as often as I can, but taking a year off this year. Fun fact: I proposed to my wife during the 2010 race, right at the top of the ferris wheel!

This is the most excited I've been about the race since that weekend. Should be an epic LMP1 battle! Rooting for Porsche, but I'd like to see Nissan bring their cars home.

I fucking love this race. I try to go as often as I can, but taking a year off this year. Fun fact: I proposed to my wife during the 2010 race, right at the top of the ferris wheel!

Awesome. Was fucking freezing when I went up there, not particularly romantic!

nicolajNN

The screen in the top middle of the Nissan, is that like a rear-view video feed, and would that be standard for LMP cars? I've never seen it in the others, but that might be due to the camera position.

paskowitz

Holy crap. 5 seconds faster than last year.

vnVlpQ.gif

navanman

Toyota no faster than last year and maybe even a bit slower.
No low downforce package? Toyota think they should be 2 seconds faster than last year.

navanman

Duval thinks that Porsche can go even faster.

I think the ACO will want to curb these lap times.
I hope not!
The v max is still the same or slightly faster.
Its just that the Porsche can get to v max so much faster with the 8MJ KERS.
Its acceleration is just insane, watch the Spa highlights for reference.

I hope the Toyotas cut their times down. It's not out of the realm of possibility, Audi has been known to bluff their qualifying times. And the leading Toyota was consistent as hell last year before an electrical failure knocked them out.

The Porsches might be fast, but as the last hours of 2014's race showed, they can suffer crippling reliability issues (I still give them credit for it having been their first year back in LMP1). We've had a couple close finishes in the past few years, it's still an endurance race. You can have the fastest car on the track but if your pit strategy sucks or something breaks on your car, then you'll still lose. Even when you subtract Nissan there's still so many entrants in LMP1 that the winner is probably going to be whomever has the fewest failures, they can't afford to have even one.

As for Nissan, it sucks that they're not going to be competitive but they only have themselves to blame. I really wanted to see if the front wheel drive idea would work as they hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom