• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2015 |OT| Nissan enter the fray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades

I honestly expected a little more pace from the Nissan's - wasn't convinced they'd beat the non-works LMP1's, but I did expect them to be ahead of the LMP2's.

Jezbollah

Session cancelled for barrier repairs.

Those Rebellion Racing cars look *stunning*

EDIT: QP3 starting half an hour earlier.

Wow. That does it for qualifying. But the next session will begin 30 minutes earlier than planned.

Strange they ended it early under this red flag. It was a big wreck but I didn't see it being a hazard to the rest of the drivers, they already extracted the car. Oh well, I did hear (I think RadioLeMans??) that they're going to be using the red flags a lot more this year rather than the yellows for some reason.

Edit: yeah, barrier repair and that takes quite a while so I guess it makes sense.

Dave_6

I'm in the US and it denied my payment. Oh well, guess I'll miss most of it Saturday, on top of the few hours Fox Sports just isn't going to show.

DD

Session cancelled for barrier repairs.

Those Rebellion Racing cars look *stunning*

EDIT: QP3 starting half an hour earlier.

I'm seriously in love with the looks of the KCMG Oreca:

LM_Qualifying1-47.jpg

The Rebellions and the Porsches also looks ace.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
eurosport player works better on chrome. you need to go through a lot of hoops to enable silverlight though.
on firefox i had bad quality and lots of stuttering. on chrome its smooth.

but is it hd?
does the eurosport logo explicitly say HD? does it not say HD in IE?
I dont have a problem with stuttering. It runs super smooth, channel switching is instant. faster even then on TV. its just not the hd feed

the icing on the cake? There is a no-commentary feed in the sidebar. That one IS HD. So i thought id be smart and just run the no-commentary stream muted in foreground and have the commentary one in antoher tab in background. But NO. This fucking POS doesnt allow you to have two streams running. NO FUN ALLOWED!

but is it hd?
does the eurosport logo explicitly say HD? does it not say HD in IE?
I dont have a problem with stuttering. It runs super smooth, channel switching is instant. faster even then on TV. its just not the hd feed

the icing on the cake? There is a no-commentary feed in the sidebar. That one IS HD. So i thought id be smart and just run the no-commentary stream muted in foreground and have the commentary one in antoher tab in background. But NO. This fucking POS doesnt allow you to have two streams running. NO FUN ALLOWED!

no its not HD. the no-commentary is sometimes HD. but not available now during quali2.

before i had no-commentary and radio le mans running. that worked fine.

LoveCake

Would it be possible for next years LeMans for NeoGaf to sponsor a car, not the main sponsor but just to have the NeoGaf logo & name on a car.

Maybe we could have a paypal account or an GoFundMe or something so members can put money in so we can get enough to enable us to get the NeoGaf logo on a car.

LoveCake

I am sorry to do this & bring it up really, but 60 years ago to the day was the The Le Mans 1955 Disaster, i think that everyone should spare a second for a thought of the many people that died.

If you want to know more then this is a excellent documentary with people that were there at the time.
The Deadliest Crash: The Le Mans 1955 Disaster BBC

RIP to everyone that died.

I am sorry to do this & bring it up really, but 60 years ago to the day was the The Le Mans 1955 Disaster, i think that everyone should spare a second for a thought of the many people that died.

If you want to know more then this is a excellent documentary with people that were there at the time.
The Deadliest Crash: The Le Mans 1955 Disaster BBC

RIP to everyone that died.

There was also a really great write up on r/wec about the incident.

1955 Le Mans Disaster - the thread

dubc35

On the subject of streams, I didn't feel like putting up with FOX Sports and its bullshit this year so I sprung for Le Mans access via the official WEC app, and I couldn't recommend it more. The picture quality is outstanding, there are onboards aplenty, and the second (and third) screen experience is solid. Best $10 I've ever spent.

If you're at all on the fence, don't be. Jump in, the water's fine.

Thanks for this. I was on the fence. I'm in soon!

Edit, only able to catch the end of qualy but I'm loving the app so far!

Juicy Bob

Was just onboard with Chilton in the #23 Nissan.

He slowed down for the yellow flag zone, but when he got the green light, he tried to take off but the car just didn't seem to want to accelerate. After about five attempts of trying to get the car in gear and going, he eventually managed to get power back.

Was just onboard with Chilton in the #23 Nissan.

He slowed down for the yellow flag zone, but when he got the green light, he tried to take off but the car just didn't seem to want to accelerate. After about five attempts of trying to get the car in gear and going, he eventually managed to get power back.

Wow. I mean, i'm glad for Nissan for trying to get their chassis some on field experience, but I'm wondering if the idea of putting them out there half baked and hoping to god they finish more then 5 hours is coming back to bite them.

Jezbollah

Although I admire them for doing something different, I really wonder if it was worth it in the long run - I do wonder what a more conventional mid engine car would be doing right now.

Although I admire them for doing something different, I really wonder if it was worth it in the long run - I do wonder what a more conventional mid engine car would be doing right now.

Same. It looks like this experiment might damage them more in the long run.

Fox Mulder

On the subject of streams, I didn't feel like putting up with FOX Sports and its bullshit this year so I sprung for Le Mans access via the official WEC app, and I couldn't recommend it more. The picture quality is outstanding, there are onboards aplenty, and the second (and third) screen experience is solid. Best $10 I've ever spent.

If you're at all on the fence, don't be. Jump in, the water's fine.

Is there commentary?

DD

They said that they've chose such unconventional design because they don't have the same resources as the other big teams, so they had to try something different.

Is there commentary?

Yes, in either French or English.

I would think the long run is exactly where they see the return on investment. Time will tell if it pans out.

Yeah, it's way too early to write off Nissan based on what they've shown thus far. The lack of pace is to be expected, but also somewhat amusing as they sure did talk a big game last year:

“You don’t go to Le Mans to just turn up,” Palmer said. “The brief to the team is to go with something different, go with something that brings new technology which is transferable to the road car technology and an approach that is innovative and exciting and of course, go to win.

“Believe me, I think this is the car that will go down in the annals of time and be one of those cars which will be long remembered, not only for the fact that it will have won Le Mans but also that it reset the real meaning of NISMO as a link between success on the track and success on the road.”

Shaneus

Can anyone tell me if the WEC sub for this weekend also gets replays/highlights? I'd love to watch some of it prior to the race proper starting, but if I can't then I'll just find a stream somewhere else.

And the sub is valid across both their website *and* mobile apps, yes?

Edit: This is also super fucking cool, too:

Can anyone tell me if the WEC sub for this weekend also gets replays/highlights? I'd love to watch some of it prior to the race proper starting, but if I can't then I'll just find a stream somewhere else.

And the sub is valid across both their website *and* mobile apps, yes?

Yes to both. It really is a fantastic app.

I've logged into the app and can't find any old videos anywhere... and the website says there's no race on when I login. Hope there's a way I can watch the qualis while I'm at work.

Haven't tried the website yet, but highlights and other videos are available on the drop-down menu on the mobile app.

Can someone give me the rundown on why the Nissans are shitting the bed?
They're way behind schedule testing-wise. Their crap doesn't work (yet).

They're racing anyway! I respect that!

I was cautiously optimistic the Pratt & Miller squad could get it repaired, but alas, the #63 Corvette has been withdrawn from Le Mans.

Here's hoping the #64 came overcome the odds and bring home a win.
Skipped right over this... ouch. That sucks.

TheBear

They're way behind schedule testing-wise. Their crap doesn't work (yet).

They're racing anyway! I respect that!

fuck yeah they are. I like that they are trying stuff. That Deltawing was hilarious too but they are having a crack and trying weird shit.

dalin80

Banned
Missed the last half due to having to sleep and the first half due to eurosport forgetting it should slip some footage in between the adverts. Hey-ho.

My brain is not use to mid week motorsport stuff, I am now in a state of being completely convinced that today is saturday. Going to be a long fucking day.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
If the amount of red flags in quali is any indication then this might be more of a 12 hour race this year...

dalin80

Banned
Testing and qualy has always been like that, in race the same events are much more likely to be dealt with by slowzones and safety cars. The localised slow zones during the nurb 24 worked great so hopefully the race can keep a good flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom