• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 7th Guest is being remade for PSVR2!

bitbydeath

Holy shit, I may buy a PSVR just for this one game.

The 7th Guest VR​

We are thrilled to announce that iconic 90s supernatural mystery, The 7th Guest, is being brought back to life with cutting-edge PS VR2 technology. The 7th Guest VR is a remake of the original game and its story with brand new puzzles, new spaces to explore and with a new technical benchmark of its own: 3D live-action graphics by way of ghostly volumetric video capture. We filmed our actors performing in a circular setup, surrounded by cameras to capture their every movement from every direction. These characters are then viewable from multiple perspectives as you play. Volumetric video capture plus exquisite performances help tell a visceral & haunting story.

PS VR2 only enhances this experience. Eye-tracking allows you to delve into the intricate details of puzzles by focusing your eyes on specific pieces and areas within the rooms while the PS VR2 Sense controller’s adaptive triggers make every item feel tangible; PS VR2 headset feedback will convey the eerie presence of the characters as their stories unfold before your eyes. Plus, enhanced dynamic lighting and higher resolution volumetric video immerse you deeper into the chilling atmosphere.

The 7th Guest VR is coming to PS VR2 later this year and is perfect for fans of mystery-puzzle games and those seeking a new and haunting VR experience.
1f8efbb110735afc67fd13868a6ab36db65f6404.jpg

f2434b545ddeabcb565880c789785e8ae97a48ce.jpg

01e6cab3dfb2827cb76e267b72b7e531e94a9b97.jpg

Crayon

I think thise was posted a while ago but whatever. I am definitely interested. Though my vr-time is limited and I'm already backed up on games that I'm more excited about. I've been saving that walking dead when I have time to do my favorite thing: the unhealthily long session that messes with my head.

Hope they are going to use new voice actors for the game, the original was pretty bad from what I remember back when I was kid. The game they really need to remake for PSVR2...Myst!

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Oh cool, I am glad this won't be Quest exclusive. Can we expect a PC VR version as well? (EDIT: Yes we can)

The use of volumentric FMV in this is really interesting. I saw that tried in VR in a promotional demo for Blade Runner 2049 and I thought it was a cool effect.

Last edited:

Crayon

You know I actually bought 7th guest on steam like a year ago and dipped into it. I was shocked at how accurate my memory of it was.

I remember THE cd-rom upgrade pack-ins were this, megarace, and creature shock. There must have been some more but it seems like every cdrom/soundblaster combo pack had at least one of those.

There's already a remastered release celebrating the 25th anniversary available on Steam. This makes sense to remake in VR as the controls transfer over well and the 3D environments will add to the tension. The problem lies in the fact that most people don't know what the 7th Guest is, I mean the franchise has been forgotten for decades. I hope Trilobite can reinvent themselves for a newer audience and not get laughed out of the room due to antiquated design.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Great idea to remake this one. Huge nostalgia factor.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Had no interest in psvr2 until this. This right here was one of the most atmospheric amazing, ahead of its time games I can, and ever will, remember.

The unofficial fan sequel , The 13th Doll is actually really good. It's on Steam and plays on the Deck , worth playing if your a fan of the original games. They even got the actor who played Stauff to reprise his role. Came out late 2018 I think.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I guess you had to be there day 1 to really appreciate technological advances.
Is it weird to say that I was and didnt really find technological at the time. To me it was a more interactive Microcosm (That game destroyed me, I thought it'd be so much better..)

Or Rise of the Robots.

Most of the old FMV's were a tad duff I thought back then. This'll be good in VR though.

Krathoon

Do they have the actor that played Stauf? He may be too old now.

They got to at least get someone that can ham it up like he did.

I really wish this was out on the other VR devices. I do not feel like buying a 3rd one.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The unofficial fan sequel , The 13th Doll is actually really good. It's on Steam and plays on the Deck , worth playing if your a fan of the original games. They even got the actor who played Stauff to reprise his role. Came out late 2018 I think.
Yeah. It might as well be a true sequel. You also have Clandestiney.

Krathoon

The 11th Hour is also good in a B movie kind of way. The ending was a letdown.
It felt like they ran out of ideas.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hmm, feels nothing like the original.
Which is a good thing. Edgy horror “full motion video” interspersed with Sierra-tier puzzles only got its fifteen minutes of fame because poor quality video with poorly directed real-life people somehow was seen as revolutionary in video games.

I played The 7th Guest some six years after release and as a non-English native, I’d never even have passed the first word-based puzzle without a guide. Not that I expect many English speakers to have done it, mind. The puzzles were very obtuse. As for that blasted microscope board game, I remember reading that its AI was somehow tied to processor speed and whatnot. Meaning that on the rig I had at the time, it was literally unwinnable.

This version feels like a more traditional graphic adventure. It also feels pretty mild though. The original series was all about gore and cheap horror movie cliches. Let’s see where they’ll take this.

Ar¢tos

I think I still have the box with the "Making of" video. I got it on eBay.
Here it is:

I haven't heard "The Game" in a really long time!
But I've had "Skeletons in my Closet" in my phone SD card ever since phones supported SD cards.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This looks like a great "spooky" game to play with the kids, the added bonus being we can all help solve the puzzles on the telly, it doesn't look like a gore fest type horror game with puzzles to me, any release date?

Ar¢tos

This looks like a great "spooky" game to play with the kids, the added bonus being we can all help solve the puzzles on the telly, it doesn't look like a gore fest type horror game with puzzles to me, any release date?
There was some gore in the original, I remember a painting of a demon stabbing a woman and blood running from the wound, But it was mostly scares like a a ghost suddenly showing up in front of you and walking away, or the feeling that something would jump out of any corner in the maze.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I bought the game at release back then and I still have the giant box it came in. The game wasn't very good though, it mainly existed because of the CD-rom era. Tex Murphy would be a better donor for a remake.

Top Bottom