• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuppy

Season one was an awesome ride, very interested to see what directions this series will take next (the finale did a great job teasing some of that), so yeah, very excited, will wait till its done though.

- WSJ review: The Spies Next Door
The new season—suspenseful as ever, more brutal in its violence, perhaps, and more expansive in its reach into history—easily upholds the standard of the first. As before, its echoes of a past era sidle in eloquently, none more effectively than in the look and manner of the Jennings's children. As before, the uniformly distinguished cast performs its wonders, and it is, as before, impossible not to feel dread at the approach of an episode's ending.

- RogerEbert.com: "The Americans" & "The Red Road" Continue Strong Start For TV Drama in 2014
It's not just the writing or Rhys' stronger work. The direction is more confident, the tone is darker, the show feels more tactile. There are fight scenes, especially a great one in episode 2.4, that feel dirty, gritty, and almost unrehearsed. The program is physical, visceral, and consistently intense. Even the dialogue sounds smarter.
- EW: The Americans (2014)
Season 2 is just as brainy and twisty and kinky, and it ratchets up the suspense by making the threats to our ''heroes'' even more personal. A-

- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette review: New series, episodes on track after Olympics
It's an incredibly deft balancing act that's accomplished through strong character development all around.
- SF Gate: 'The Americans' review: FX series starts 2nd season well
Five episodes into the second season of "The Americans" on FX suggest this is one great series that isn't in immediate danger of that second-season slump. All of the elements that made it must-see last year are working at full throttle in season two, which kicks off Wednesday night: intrigue, deception, sex, duplicity, spy vs. spy stuff and, most of all, irony.

kazebyaka

Banned
First season was a bit cheesy at first, but it was pretty awesome. Love the atmosphere and actors and that there's only like only 3 main characters the story focuses on. And the best part is that everybody actually speak in good Russian.

I haven't read anything in this thread and don't plan to for a while but I just want to say I started watching this last night and got through four episodes. It's pretty darn good.

Linius

I'm not reading any reviews on the second season but while browsing Metacritic just now I noticed the 94 score in the TV shows headline. My God dat hype. Give it already.

- Tampa Bay Times: Another strong start for FX's spy thriller 'The Americans’
That depth is what allows the show to play with themes bigger than its premise would suggest. Throughout its first season, The Americans, created by former CIA agent Joe Weisberg, was a tense, action-packed thriller — it was also a moody melodrama, a horror film, a sexy romp, a dark comedy.

- KC Star: Spring TV’s sophomore class
Somehow, “The Americans” makes all its elements work: the doomed romances, office politics, coming-of-age tales, breathless action sequences and low-tech James Bond intrigue, peppered with all-too-familiar suburban angst. And instead of acting as a history lesson, the series demands a sharp, engaged audience.

- Onion A|V Club review
That’s the most promising aspect of The Americans’ choice to reinvest in the home: Rhys and Russell have tapped into a unique and exciting portrait of commitment, and it’s only growing stronger as the series goes on. It’s a high-wire version of a relationship that exists on practically every other scripted TV series, so it’s a bit of a letdown that the actors have to spend so much of the series separated by space and plot.

Grade: B+

- Variety Review
The fascinating premise of “The Americans” — the FX series about Soviet spies hiding in plain sight, posing as a suburban couple during the Reagan-era years of the Cold War — didn’t fully coalesce in its first season. Yet the program did deepen its bench of characters as the year progressed, while upping the ante on its spy-counterspy espionage. A narrative high-wire act, the show remains eminently watchable, in part by pushing the sex-nudity-violence quotient about as far as any basic-cable series can. Nevertheless, it feels like this series comes with a built-in expiration date destined to kick in long before the Berlin Wall comes tumbling down.

- Jace Lacob's review for Buzzfeed: “The Americans” Season 2
The first five episodes of Season 2 press point toward this season being a particularly strong one, with some electrifying narrative arcs jumpstarted within the first episode. It took the first season a few episodes to find itself, but Season 2 of The Americans quickly coalesces into a taut and unpredictable sequence of episodes. There’s a sense of danger and intrigue embedded within these upcoming installments that remind the viewer that, while these events may be rooted in the semi-distant past, the show’s nuanced explorations of the concerns of the family and of the self remain provocatively contemporary.

TheOddOne

Cornballer
foul temptress
(Today, 04:51 AM)

iBEwT7tEC0X2B.gif

- Maureen Ryan: 'The Americans' Season 2 Review: From Russians With Love
In its first season, "The Americans" (10 p.m. EST Wednesday, FX) was an "almost" show -- it appeared continually on the cusp of ascending to a higher level of quality. That's not to say the debut season of the show wasn't fun: Stars Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys were terrific from the get-go, there were epic wigs and the drama managed to be entertaining and evocative a lot of the time. But the show about Russian spies hiding in plain sight wasn't as assured, varied and consistent as it is in its second season.

- The New Yorker: Watch “The Americans”
There’s sharp dialogue. And the wigs! Oh, my God, the wigs—so many, so varied, so eighties. “The Americans” can be wrenchingly emotional, and it’s terrifically well paced. But it doesn’t take itself overly seriously, and while the show looks pretty good it’s not the most cinematic series on the block. I’ve watched the first five episodes of Season 2, and, while I don’t want to spoil the new installments, I will say that they made my heart speed up.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This and the second season of Orphan Black will fill the void sure to be left with the end of True Detective. Looking forward to it.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Wow this is on so soon? I had no idea, kind of forgot about this show in all honesty. The first season didn't blow me away, but it was enjoyable, and I felt it still had a lot of potential to live up to, sounds like it may reach that level this season based on early reviews.

Nameless

Pumped.

The show ended on a spectacular hot streak last season. Those last 4-5 episode were nothing short of phenomenonal. Can't wait to see what direction(s) they take things given how the narrative evolved throughout the first season.

Based Beeman is coming for you Mother Russia! He's coming right for that festering cunt!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Pumped.

The show ended on a spectacular hot streak last season. Those last 4-5 episode were nothing short of phenomenonal. Can't wait to see what direction(s) they take things given how the narrative evolved throughout the first season.

Based Beeman is coming for you Mother Russia! He's coming right for that festering cunt!

Why would you say that about Elizabeth?

Season premiere tonight!
Comrades

Elizabeth comes back from her injury and straight into what should have been a routine mission — but it goes awry, leaving her and Philip in fear not only for themselves but for their whole network… and family. Paige's suspicions have only grown in her mother's absence. Meanwhile, Stan continues to fall for the Russian agent who has started to play him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom