• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vio-Lence

Banned
The return of the Americans today, the return of Vikings tomorrow, and episode 7 of True Detective on Sunday.

Damn good week of television incoming :)

- Poniewozik's review for Time
The first season of The Americans was a revelation last spring, but like a lot of audacious new shows, it felt in a rush to up the stakes, to put Elizabeth and Philip at risk of exposure, always one scant step ahead of Stan. (The related risk is that the longer that hunt goes on, the more incompetent and thus less formidable Stan would seem.) The second season, however, finds a way to build tension that maintains the show’s intensity without turning it into an endless, implausible cat-and-mouse game.

braves01

Banned
I wonder if ratings will be particularly good now that Putin's got some sudden 'troop readiness' exercises going on along the Ukrainian border. :O

The Onion A|V Club's set visit from when they were filming S2:

- The Americans aims to break the second-season curse
Just looking at trends and statistics, at least one of the great new dramas of 2013 is going to flame out horribly in 2014. And maybe many of them will. To judge from the excellent first five episodes of The Americans’ second season—as good a stretch of drama episodes as any in recent memory—it should escape the obstacle course unscathed. It’s amazing how many elements the series is juggling in its second season, including three new regulars (Annet Mahendru, who plays Nina; Susan Misner, who plays Sandra; and Alison Wright, who plays Martha), the loss of an important recurring player (Margo Martindale, who now stars on CBS’ The Millers and will have a reduced presence in season two), and an increased presence for the series’ two youngest co-stars, who play the Jennings’ kids. History is littered with good shows that have attempted to weather just one of the above changes and struggled with rough seasons. The Americans is dealing with all three.
Much more via the link. Some spoilers.

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag:
It's a testament to series creator Joe Weisberg, executive producer Joel Fields, and their writers, filmmakers, and actors that you don't immediately think about Philip and Elizabeth as case studies, or as characters anchoring ethical puzzles. You're too busy enjoying the spycraft, the fights, the chases, and the sex. But it's these deeper questions that give the action and melodrama a bit of existential heft, and redirect our vicarious enjoyment away from fantasy and back towards reality.

- Andy Greenwald for Grantland: Red Harvest - ‘The Americans’ takes the leap in Season 2
Nothing else on TV can match The Americans for the dizzying highs of its suspense or the unsettling depths of its emotion. But the reason it’s become the best show on television is more simple: In spite of its radical premise and perilous plots, the most discomfiting aspect of The Americans is its familiarity. All long-term relationships, whether between nation-states or lovers, involve delicate negotiations. They all demand loyalty. And they all require sacrifice. Recognizing this doesn’t make us American. It makes us human. The glorious struggle is our own.

- Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys vid interview with TV Guide (youtube)

Also, Ausiello pointed out the 'Felicity wall' from his set visit. They've taken pictures of the cast & crew wearing the wig:

QYxvhZ6.jpg

Looks like FX went with Captain America before The Americans tonight instead of a rerun.

Just a quick heads up that the premiere is going to run about 7 minutes past the hour tonight.

omg this is on in a bit. In Canada it's showing a re-run of the season finale of The Americans. So does that mean I'll start watching before americans? So I shouldn't post anything spoilerish?

Or are you guys also starting on the dot at 10.

breakfuss

Sub'd. Loved last season. They really should put this up on netflix, at least after the season is done airing. It's pretty great stuff.

omg this is on in a bit. In Canada it's showing a re-run of the season finale of The Americans. So does that mean I'll start watching before americans? So I shouldn't post anything spoilerish?

Or are you guys also starting on the dot at 10.
We're starting on the dot, but Canadian TV sometimes doesn't run the "previously on" segment, so you might be slightly ahead. My post was confusing - what I meant was that it's running from 10:00-11:07 tonight.

It says "10 pm" wherever I look. Are we taking EST or PST?
I'm talking EST at least.

We're starting on the dot, but Canadian TV sometimes doesn't run the "previously on" segment, so you might be slightly ahead. My post was confusing - what I meant was that it's running until 11:07 tonight.
oh ok, yeah canadian tv seems to be ahead on certain shows. I'll keep it safe and see if it's timed normally for a while lol, before saying anything spoilerish during an episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom