• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banjo-Tooie XBLA Official Thread

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Only got 1000 points in my account from the Coke give away, Just ordered 4200 points at £28.50, not too bad.

Should get me Banjo-Tooie and the lvl cap Fallout 3 DLC.

voltron

For those that know, should I delete my Nuts n Bolts file so I can open the SnS stuff myself? Or is it no big deal that they will all be accessible from the start because of my Nuts n Bolts save?

(I hope that made sense. I only skimmed the interview but I think I get what was being said)

Deacan said:
Only got 1000 points in my account from the Coke give away, Just ordered 4200 points at £28.50, not too bad.

Should get me Banjo-Tooie and the lvl cap Fallout 3 DLC.

Where did you order from?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see the better of the two 64 Banjo games available for sale.

Like Banjo Kazooie on XBLA, the intro was ruined again (Music outpaces the cutscene and actions don't happen in time to music anymore)

Obviously this is due to the fact that the slowdown is completely gone from the cutscene and the music was timed to the original scene. Strangely enough, the King Jingaling zombie cutscene is perfectly fine, they probably altered the timing slightly and extended some pauses and such to get it to fit. Why they chose not to do this in the intro I have no idea.

Aside from that though, this seems like a much better port than BK XBLA so far. Font looks better, there aren't any weird graphical glitches (Since the game was designed for widescreen originally) the game looks brighter (BK XBLA was way too dark) hud and display elements look better and they got rid of having to use the second stick to look around in first person :D

Camera is better suited to the second stick this time as well (The original BT N64's camera was different to BK N64 and is much more suited to analog stick controls than it's predecessor) I'm only up to the first world but so far I'm much happier with this port than BK XBLA, it's amazing to finally be able to play my favourite Rareware game of all time with no crippling slowdown :D

voltron

So do I need to have finished the Banjo on XBLA, or Nuts n Bolts, to have the SnS open in Tooie?

And what the fuck is the SnS anyway? Im so goddam confused and dont get why its such a big deal.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
I'm guessing 30fps, since Banjo-Kazooie was 30fps with some drops.

I guess 60fps will be asking too much of a 10 year old N64 port on a next gen console?

voltron said:
So do I need to have finished the Banjo on XBLA, or Nuts n Bolts, to have the SnS open in Tooie?

And what the fuck is the SnS anyway? Im so goddam confused and dont get why its such a big deal.
I'm guessing that you must have at least one of the eggs from BK before you can use SnS.

voltron

AndyMoogle said:
I'm guessing that you must have at least one of the eggs from BK before you can use SnS.

huh?

What eggs? Ive got every item from BK XBLA - all notes; all jiggies and all the other thing.

But I havent killed Grunty because the quiz at the end is fucking stupid. Gonna use the internet next time I try it and finish the thing.

I just need to know if I should finish that first before starting Tooie or not.

Amir0x

Banned
voltron said:
huh?

What eggs? Ive got every item from BK XBLA - all notes; all jiggies and all the other thing.

But I havent killed Grunty because the quiz at the end is fucking stupid. Gonna use the internet next time I try it and finish the thing.

I just need to know if I should finish that first before starting Tooie or not.

if you never seen the big giant EGGS, then you didn't collect everything. You know it's the right item because the game plays a little dramatic music when you find it. There is one over the toilet seat in the Halloween level, for example.

There is also a key in the snowman level, iirc.

voltron

Amir0x said:
if you never seen the big giant EGGS, then you didn't collect everything. You know it's the right item because the game plays a little dramatic music when you find it. There is one over the toilet seat in the Halloween level, for example.

Hmmm, ok. Now were getting somewhere.

So how many are there in the game? Does this item show up on the "Totals" screen?

Thanks for your help.

Cronen

voltron said:
Hmmm, ok. Now were getting somewhere.

So how many are there in the game? Does this item show up on the "Totals" screen?

Thanks for your help.

Once you collect one, I believe it creates its own section on the Totals screen. IIRC, there are 6 eggs and the Ice Key!

Def Jukie

Amir0x said:

You had to have a Nuts & Bolts save on your hard drive for those items to show up in BK. Hopefully they will show up with a Tooie save as well.

Rlan

The game is certainly more complicated than the original. It's been quite a while since I played it, I don't remember much about it.

BK you could pretty much finish everything level by level, Banjo Tooie mixes things up a lot. There's a rock you can't destroy in the first level until you get something from the second level.

Thankfully Banjo Tooie achievements do NOT require you to get every one of anything, which is nice :)

Damn, the camera is fucking slow. In Banjo Kazooie it was fine, but in Tooie it's too slow, it's really annoying :( Other than that, the port is pretty awesome and the game is as good as ever. Now they can start working seriously on Perfect Dark !

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Loving Tooie. First time playing it, too (never played it on N64; don't hurt me).

Anyone know the order for the
dude that's trapped in the big house that has the three blocks in front of it that includes Sun, Moon and Star?

Gah, anyone else notice that the music doesn't sync up properly in the cutscenes anymore?

They were synced up to deal with the game when it had all the slowdown on N64, but now that it's running at the proper speed, it's all messed up...kinda sad and annoying.

Oh well, there's only like 5 cutscenes in the whole game anyways. The rest is real time.

Edit: Also some of the sound effects fade out at odd times...this is kinda weird. I hope they fix some of this stuff...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Domino Theory said:
Loving Tooie. First time playing it, too (never played it on N64; don't hurt me).

Anyone know the order for the
dude that's trapped in the big house that has the three blocks in front of it that includes Sun, Moon and Star?

Star, Sun, Star, Moon, Moon

I'm at around 2 hours and have 15 jiggies, I knew it was already bigger than Kazooie, but I found that game a lot smaller than I remembered, and though Tooie might've been similar, which isn't the case.

Oh and WTF at the top of the leaderboards, people already have 8-10 hours logged. :lol

Actually, the combination is
Sun, Moon, Star, Moon, Sun
, which you're supposed to find out from the stone things as a Stony. Now I'm stuck on how to break the boulder inside the cage. The giant can't fit in there and that's how I broke the others. Am I supposed to come back later?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tranced Shadow said:
Actually, the combination is
Sun, Moon, Star, Moon, Sun
, which you're supposed to find out from the stone things as a Stony. Now I'm stuck on how to break the boulder inside the cage. The giant can't fit in there and that's how I broke the others. Am I supposed to come back later?

Is the combination different for other people? Mine is what the rock told me.

You come back later for that, you'll learn a move in the second level to get rid of it.

fernoca

I was planning on getting this later, because I haven't finished the first one yet; and saw no point in getting Tooie in such a hurry....

But...

I got the first one for free when I got Nuts & Bolts; loved that game..so decided to cooperate with the game/sales on day one, went and bought a 1200 Points card (Zune ones) and just got this...hehehe...will play it later.

Amir0x

Banned
Def Jukie said:
You had to have a Nuts & Bolts save on your hard drive for those items to show up in BK. Hopefully they will show up with a Tooie save as well.

Didn't know that "unlocked" the ability to find them, heh. Nuts & Bolts sucked, but I guess it was ok for something then.

I forgot how absurd collecting in N64 RARE games were. I am trying to 100% Banjo Kazooie, but man the challenges are so dumb most of the time.

But I mean, jesus tapdancing christ at the collecting:

Small Eggs
S&S Eggs
Gold Feathers
Red Feathers
Jiggies
Mumbo Heads
Musical Notes
Honeycombs

And even one specific mission in each board of Banjo Kazooie is essentially a collectathon mission by itself, finding five creatures in each level.

I am finally almost done with it, though. I have to get through Click Clock Woods, which is the level I hate most since it's so redundant with the split weather zones. Then I can move onto Tooie. I just loaded it up but, it is nice to see the framerate so improved. Tooie was one of many N64/PSOne titles I absolutely could never return to due to framerate problems.

Flunkie

Banned
This is kind of annoying. I loved BK and played it several times (100%'d) and it still has that nostalgia factor, and I want to play through BT too, but I just don't want to take the time to trudge through another game right now. I'm kind of in a games slump, so even though my instinct says that I want to buy and play this game, my head won't let me.

Rlan

The thing is, Eggs and Feathers are in such supply that saying that you "collect" them seems silly, as they're like ammo in any other game. The only thing you need to collect to progress are Jiggies (rewards for missions, Like Mario stars), Musical Notes (to open doors, akin to Mario coins), Jinjos (Essentially Red Coins in a Mario game) and Mumbo Heads, and the last two can be accumulated through finding them several levels at a time, you don't actually need to find every one in every level.

Kevin

So far this appears to be another very well done port. I got 100% in Banjo Kazooie and that port was done very well with very minimal issues and it seems to be the same case for Banjo Tooie. These are the Banjo games I have been waiting almost a decade for! ;)

Amir0x said:
Didn't know that "unlocked" the ability to find them, heh. Nuts & Bolts sucked, but I guess it was ok for something then.

I forgot how absurd collecting in N64 RARE games were. I am trying to 100% Banjo Kazooie, but man the challenges are so dumb most of the time.

But I mean, jesus tapdancing christ at the collecting:

Small Eggs
S&S Eggs
Gold Feathers
Red Feathers
Jiggies
Mumbo Heads
Musical Notes
Honeycombs

And even one specific mission in each board of Banjo Kazooie is essentially a collectathon mission by itself, finding five creatures in each level.

I am finally almost done with it, though. I have to get through Click Clock Woods, which is the level I hate most since it's so redundant with the split weather zones. Then I can move onto Tooie. I just loaded it up but, it is nice to see the framerate so improved. Tooie was one of many N64/PSOne titles I absolutely could never return to due to framerate problems.

You just have to collect jiggies, honeycombs and notes, and NO you don't have to get everything to see the end of the game, if it piss you off you don't have to look for every damn thing. I just don't understand the complain with collecathon, they're a guide for you to explore everywhere. Plateform games are all about navigation, it's better than having linear levels, if something piss you off, you can do something else or come back latter. If you're stuck in a linear game, you're fucked.

Amir0x

Banned
Rockman Whore said:
You just have to collect jiggies, honeycombs and notes, and NO you don't have to get everything to see the end of the game, if it piss you off you don't have to look for every damn thing.

That's pretty obvious. However, in order to get the "most" out of the product, you must 100% to get all achievements and get the best ending plus all S&S items for other BK games. It's obvious I can "avoid" collecting certain specific shit.

Although it's shaky at best how much I can limit the chore - you need, what, 760 musical notes out of 900 to get into that Gruntilda area?

I remember just recently when people complained about getting 1000 light spheres in the new Prince of Persia game, but you never needed to get close to 760 to access all areas! Even though you can avoid collecting all of them, people still complained... because it was one specific aspect of the game that sucked. And that was JUST light spheres, you never had to collect anything else ever unlike Banjo. I can avoid doing a lot of shitty things in a lot of shitty games, but that doesn't make that aspect less shitty.

In any event, the collectathoning has been discussed over and over again. I was just gobsmacked at how bad it was, because my memory of the games are still stuck firmly in the N64 era. It's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over, just something I personally found fascinating. One usually thinks problems are exaggerated as time goes on, but no it really was as bad as I remembered. At least anyway once it's done, I can move onto Tooie, since that is where Banjo started getting rad level design and such. I just wanted all the S&S items mainly.

Wizpig

Nuclear Muffin said:
Like Banjo Kazooie on XBLA, the intro was ruined again (Music outpaces the cutscene and actions don't happen in time to music anymore)

Obviously this is due to the fact that the slowdown is completely gone from the cutscene and the music was timed to the original scene. Strangely enough, the King Jingaling zombie cutscene is perfectly fine, they probably altered the timing slightly and extended some pauses and such to get it to fit. Why they chose not to do this in the intro I have no idea.
Yeah... shit sucks, i wonder what new Banjo players will think when they will see poor
Bottles dying
with happy music that was supposed to play earlier... honestly now.

Rlan

Amir0x said:
That's pretty obvious. However, in order to get the "most" out of the product, you must 100% to get all achievements and get the best ending plus all S&S items for other BK games. It's obvious I can "avoid" collecting certain specific shit.

Although it's shaky at best how much I can limit the chore - you need, what, 760 musical notes out of 900 to get into that Gruntilda area?

I remember just recently when people complained about getting 1000 light spheres in the new Prince of Persia game, but you never needed to get close to 760 to access all areas! Even though you can avoid collecting all of them, people still complained... because it was one specific aspect of the game that sucked. And that was JUST light spheres, you never had to collect anything else ever unlike Banjo. I can avoid doing a lot of shitty things in a lot of shitty games, but that doesn't make that aspect less shitty.

In any event, the collectathoning has been discussed over and over again. I was just gobsmacked at how bad it was, because my memory of the games are still stuck firmly in the N64 era. It's nothing to get your panties in a bunch over, just something I personally found fascinating. One usually thinks problems are exaggerated as time goes on, but no it really was as bad as I remembered. At least anyway once it's done, I can move onto Tooie, since that is where Banjo started getting rad level design and such. I just wanted all the S&S items mainly.

At least with Tooie, despite the expanded amount of stuff to collect [4 different kinds of eggs] each pickup is now worth 5-20 of each. Same with Notes, which are now only used to chat JamJars up, come in packs of 20 or more.

Sydle

Amir0x said:

Does it bother you that other people enjoy doing that stuff?

Perhaps you should, you know, play other games. I hear there are quite a few to choose from these days.

Red

Amir0x said:
I remember just recently when people complained about getting 1000 light spheres in the new Prince of Persia game, but you never needed to get close to 760 to access all areas! Even though you can avoid collecting all of them, people still complained... because it was one specific aspect of the game that sucked. And that was JUST light spheres, you never had to collect anything else ever unlike Banjo. I can avoid doing a lot of shitty things in a lot of shitty games, but that doesn't make that aspect less shitty.\
PoP's collecting was essentially the entire point, though. BT has a lot more game along with its collecting.

Top Bottom