• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banjo-Tooie XBLA Official Thread

I just made it to Grunty Industries and I'm surprised how well it holds up. Banjo Kazooie felt a lot smaller than I remember it, but Tooie is still massive.

I can see how the gameplay might be annoying. I mean you have to do one thing as banjo then another thing with mumbo and another thing with a transformation. Sometimes you even have to split up banjo and kazooie and all of that just to get 1 jiggy. It can definitely be overwhelming at times and it can require a lot of patience, but it's still a great game and well worth the $15.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
JFG always got so much love. Couldn't play past the first planet thanks to the awful framerate.

Zachack

funkmastergeneral said:
Any chance we could see Jet Force Gemini on XBLA too?
I don't think there's anything preventing it, and it was kinda funny to see the JFG posters in Bottle's house. I'd rather get Blast Corps, though (actually, I'd prefer a Blast Corps sequel using more modern tech).
I just made it to Grunty Industries and I'm surprised how well it holds up. Banjo Kazooie felt a lot smaller than I remember it, but Tooie is still massive.
Yeah, I remember loving BK on the N64 (and I had a lot of fun with it on XBLA) but the framerate on BT, coupled with the giant levels, really killed it for me. Now that the framerate is fixed, though, I'm really enjoying it a lot more than BK, as the giant levels aren't a hinderance.

Wizpig

Oliver.S said:
:lol Oh my.. They did it again.
Stop n Swop II
Fuck you Rare:lol
I mean thank you Rare :) this meta-game will never end; of course, the new rewards suck just like N&B S'n'S rewards...

Will we ever get Fungi Forest and Bottles Revenge?
Well, the second one already exists, they have to fix it a little and implement it in Tooie... but Fungi Forest...:lol
I don't even have DK64 to see what became of it :(

Amir0x

Banned
Crunched said:
PoP's collecting was essentially the entire point, though. BT has a lot more game along with its collecting.

I would like to know how you would defend the argument that PoP's collecting is any more the "entire point" than Banjo Kazooie/Tooie's, since that would be an interesting line of discussion.

Paco said:
Does it bother you that other people enjoy doing that stuff?

Perhaps you should, you know, play other games. I hear there are quite a few to choose from these days.

Why would it bother me? Being negative does not imply caring, much less caring that someone else likes it. Lots of people enjoy things I find shitty. Just because I know collectathoning is shitty game design doesn't mean everyone feels that way.

I hope you do enjoy it! However discussion threads demand discussion, both negative and positive. If I sound like a broken record it is because I have said this one hundred times so there's no need to keep wasting time beating this drum for people who have trouble catching on to simple things like that.

Rlan said:
At least with Tooie, despite the expanded amount of stuff to collect [4 different kinds of eggs] each pickup is now worth 5-20 of each. Same with Notes, which are now only used to chat JamJars up, come in packs of 20 or more.

Yeah. But in general, Tooie is a much better designed game. Challenges are way more interesting, multilayered and complex. And what's more, the overworld is better integrated so musical notes also aren't really so important anymore and collectathoning - while still bad - is more manageable. Tooie is really the only of the two games that holds up at all anymore, imo.

Mariner

I went to boot up the game just now and my save disappeared. I was only about 30 jiggies in, but it still sucks. Hopefully this was just a freak occurrence, but I don't want to play through if there are rampant save problems with the game. PATCH IT!

Oliver.S

The improved framerate does wonders for this game. I am enjoining BT on my 360 more than on my N64, 8 years ago. Fantastic game and so big. I always loved that Rare was putting so much content in their games. Already played more than ten hours. ^^

x3n05 said:
Well I only just got to the end of BK, I have the 900 notes, 24 honeycomb pieces and 100 jiggies. Before I start on Tooie I still need to get the Stop n' Swop items as well as kill Grunty. This was the first time I had played BK and I absolutely loved it, imo 1200pts is a fair price for Tooie (as long as it is as good as the first).
Ugh . . . I remember killing Grunty on the N64. That was hard. Damn hard. It was one of those boss battles where you got kinda pissed because you were 98% done with the game so you just wanted to finish it up . . . but it was so hard that you wonder if it was worth wasting all that time perfecting your skills for a boss battle.

Kinda like the final boss in Gun.

I'll probably pick this up . . . this is a nice game I can play with my daughter around. I wish it were 800 points instead of 1200.

BTW, I just realized that I never used my code to get the original B-K game on XBLA. I hope I can find it and still use it.

Odrion

Banned
Mariner said:
I went to boot up the game just now and my save disappeared. I was only about 30 jiggies in, but it still sucks. Hopefully this was just a freak occurrence, but I don't want to play through if there are rampant save problems with the game. PATCH IT!
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I might have to hold out if this is common. I still remember COD2's glitch. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This happens every damn time I play this level, but I forget how to get into Grunty Industries. -_-

I always kick myself after I find out how, but I went around the outside area a bunch of times and see no way of getting in. Anyone remember how?

Speevy

Banned
Mariner said:

The EXACT same thing happened to my Banjo Kazooie save. I thought it was just me.

It was becoming my favorite XBLA game, and I've lost all desire to play it.

On the subject of SnS II...

Go check out the places where SnS was hidden in the N64 version. They contain different items and will appear on your SnSII screen along with a cryptic message. So far, I have four SnSII items, one from the Banjo-Kazooie egg, and 3 from the places where SnS was found in the original BT. I wonder what it all means...?

For those wanting to know where to look for the other SnSII items, there's one above the waterfall in Spiral Mountain which you need the Grip Grab move to access, one above the stump area in Spiral Mountain behind a cage you need grenade eggs to blow open, and one in a cave in the sandy area of Jinjo Village, which you also need the Grip Grab move to access.

Papercuts said:
This happens every damn time I play this level, but I forget how to get into Grunty Industries. -_-

I always kick myself after I find out how, but I went around the outside area a bunch of times and see no way of getting in. Anyone remember how?

Explore the outside of the building until you find a Chuffy the Train switch. Then when you take the train to the Grunty Industries, you'll be inside the building and you can open the main door from there.

Jet Force Gemini could be excellent if they redo the controls to properly take advantage of dual-analogue - I couldn't stand the controls on the N64 version.

I'm gonna stick out my neck and predict that Perfect Dark will be next, though. Too much money to be made there to turn that chance down, surely...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tranced Shadow said:
Jet Force Gemini could be excellent if they redo the controls to properly take advantage of dual-analogue - I couldn't stand the controls on the N64 version.

I'm gonna stick out my neck and predict that Perfect Dark will be next, though. Too much money to be made there to turn that chance down, surely...

That is what the rumor mill is churning out apparently.

I'm really starting to hate Mumbo. He was cool in the first level, but now it's like they have to shoehorn him into every situation.

I mean, in Grunty Industries you need to transform into the washing machine to press down a button, but when you move towards the button this random machine pops up and pulls you away from it. Of course you need to turn back into banjo so you can turn into mumbo so you can deactivate this machine and then you have to turn back into banjo and then back into the washing machine so you can finally press down on the button.

And this didn't add any kind of challenge to the game. Rare just has to overcomplicate everything instead of just letting the player push a fucking button.

Rlan

Koopakiller said:
I'm really starting to hate Mumbo. He was cool in the first level, but now it's like they have to shoehorn him into every situation.

I mean, in Grunty Industries you need to transform into the washing machine to press down a button, but when you move towards the button this random machine pops up and pulls you away from it. Of course you need to turn back into banjo so you can turn into mumbo so you can deactivate this machine and then you have to turn back into banjo and then back into the washing machine so you can finally press down on the button.

And this didn't add any kind of challenge to the game. Rare just has to overcomplicate everything instead of just letting the player push a fucking button.

Tooie is in a weird place. It came after Donkey Kong 64 - which is the kind of useless shit you need to do, but is before Conker, which completely removed that stuff altogether. It does overcomplicated a lot of things, especially since levels have the tendency to have holes in them which lead to other levels entirely, like Temple goes to the Mines, and the Mines lead to Roger Bay, Witchy World and the Train goes to the Top of Isle of Hags. Makes things difficult.

JRW

Anyone notice this release of Tooie has object pop in (notes / honeycombs etc. cant be seen further in the distance) Yet this doesnt occur in the original Banjo on XBLA.

Amir0x

Banned
Yes, finally! All notes/jiggies/S&S items/honeycombs collected + Gruntilda Boss done. Just have those seven jigsaw puzzles to complete and that's absolutely everything in Kazooie. Then, onto Tooie!

TaKeRx

damn it, when is it going to come out on amazon? been wanting to use my $10 off code(assuming this works right? just paying $5 extra.)

Back in the n64 days I completed and loved the first game and skipped on the second. Playing this for the first time, I can safely say it's fucking amazing. Love it.

JRW said:
Anyone notice this release of Tooie has object pop in (notes / honeycombs etc. cant be seen further in the distance) Yet this doesnt occur in the original Banjo on XBLA.

Yeah they left it the same as in the original N64 version. I prefer it this way, BK XBLA made finding all of the jinjos and such way too easy!

Rlan

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah they left it the same as in the original N64 version. I prefer it this way, BK XBLA made finding all of the jinjos and such way too easy!

Still, loks weird with the stupid doubloons popping in in Jolly Roger's Lagoon.

Wizpig

4J [guys who did the port to XBLA] are getting tons of flames... ugh; some are deserved though, just look at the ruined intro with de-synced music.
I'm not calling this an half-assed porting yet, but...

watkinzez

Wizpig said:
4J [guys who did the port to XBLA] are getting tons of flames... ugh; some are deserved though, just look at the ruined intro with de-synced music.
I'm not calling this an half-assed porting yet, but...

I wouldn't be surprised if the half-assed part was the assigned budget. Only seven guys had a year to port both games, and Tooie isn't exactly small.
It still hurts, though. Numerous audio inconsistencies and bugs. :(

Wizpig

watkinzez said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the half-assed part was the assigned budget. Only seven guys had a year to port both games, and Tooie isn't exactly small.
It still hurts, though. Numerous audio inconsistencies and bugs. :(
I don't know, look: Kazooie XBLA was in English [and French/German just like the 64 version], proof they didn't think it would sell well; Tooie, however, is translated...
[that's why i had to put my 360 from Italian to English -_-]
i think the budget was higher this time.

Then again, even if it wasn't, bugs happen, i'm not angry for those, i'm angry for the stupid things even a 10-years old would notice are wrong, but are in the final release anyway.

In Kazooie we had the notes bug: ok, that's a little subtle, they fixed it anyway... but now in Tooie the OPENING cutscene is ruined, don't tell me you didn't notice that 4J!
They just didn't know how to fix it, i think. [putting the slowdowns in again wouldn't be good advertising for Rare or the 360]

Wizpig

:( I took the snake jiggy, the one where you have to walk carefully, before i even talked to the snake, now i can't remember what it said and i'm curious

Wizpig said:
I don't know, look: Kazooie XBLA was in English [and French/German just like the 64 version], proof they didn't think it would sell well; Tooie, however, is translated...
[that's why i had to put my 360 from Italian to English -_-]
i think the budget was higher this time.

Then again, even if it wasn't, bugs happen, i'm not angry for those, i'm angry for the stupid things even a 10-years old would notice are wrong, but are in the final release anyway.

In Kazooie we had the notes bug: ok, that's a little subtle, they fixed it anyway... but now in Tooie the OPENING cutscene is ruined, don't tell me you didn't notice that 4J!
They just didn't know how to fix it, i think. [putting the slowdowns in again wouldn't be good advertising for Rare or the 360]

I would say the fault lies with Rare. They are the ones that made opening credits with SLOWDOWN and then synced the music to the slowdown. Given the choice, I'd rather have a game with no slowdown and good framerates rather than one with completely synced music.

I never finished Tooie on the N64 because the framerate got janky and the blurryness made it goddamn ugly. This is a far superior version in my opinion.

watkinzez

EternalGamer said:
I would say the fault lies with Rare. They are the ones that made opening credits with SLOWDOWN and then synced the music to the slowdown. Given the choice, I'd rather have a game with no slowdown and good framerates rather than one with completely synced music.

Damn your lack of decade long foresight, Grant Kirkhope!
Wait, what?

Rlan

I honestly didn't notice anything different between the opening cutscene outside of the lack of the N64 logo.

Rlan said:
I honestly didn't notice anything different between the opening cutscene outside of the lack of the N64 logo.

Basically Grant K. wrote the music to the original scene on N64, which had significant slowdown at several moments. The music was longer than it needed to be to compensate for the slowdown. In the XBLA version the scene runs at its 'original' speed but the music was scored to the version with slowdown, so the music is left dragging behind by a second or so.

But really, who cares? It's one tiny error.

I might pick this up. I always thought all the forced collection in the Banjo games was a bit obnoxious but I'm sort of in the mood for an open world platformer since I haven't played one in a good while.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah I'm going to buy this. I only played a little of Tooie before and that was ages ago. This'll be my first platformer in... oh god, a while. :/

Amir0x said:
Yeah. But in general, Tooie is a much better designed game. Challenges are way more interesting, multilayered and complex. And what's more, the overworld is better integrated so musical notes also aren't really so important anymore and collectathoning - while still bad - is more manageable. Tooie is really the only of the two games that holds up at all anymore, imo.

I don't understand how you can hate the collecathon aspect of BK and still prefer BT where the levels are gigantic and you have tons of backtracking to do. And there is the pop up stuff, like you've missed one notes and you can't see it from the distance while you should :lol

I'm liking the sky world a lot more in this version. It must be the improved draw distance that makes it nicer. But it still seems like an afterthought. It's like they said "hey lets cram a bunch of shit together and make it float". Unless a block of smelly cheese, a beehive, and a pot of gold are related in some way that I just can't see.

And not even my Mad Catz TURBO joystick controller can keep up with Canary Mary. Would anyone really complain if 4j had dumbed down the difficulty?

Varjet

Koopakiller said:
And not even my Mad Catz TURBO joystick controller can keep up with Canary Mary. Would anyone really complain if 4j had dumbed down the difficulty?

I posted this on the previous page
The thing is, the faster you start out, the harder it gets. So if you barely tap the button at the beginning, it's an easy win.

So yeah, don't use the turbo function at the beginning.

Wizpig

Koopakiller said:
I'm liking the sky world a lot more in this version. It must be the improved draw distance that makes it nicer. But it still seems like an afterthought. It's like they said "hey lets cram a bunch of shit together and make it float". Unless a block of smelly cheese, a beehive, and a pot of gold are related in some way that I just can't see.
Awesome world!
Also love the way you enter it.

Jasoco

Banned
Oh wow! It's out? I still haven't beaten Grunty in the first. Gotta get going!

Sgt. Killjoy said:
i feel like its so funny that people are playing n64 on a 360
Are you still shocked at the thought of Sonic the Hedgehog on a Nintendo system too?

Though yeah, it's so weird. The games we grew up with exclusive to one system are suddenly playable on a completely different company's system. I love that Rare kept the GameBoy's in their updates of BK and Conker. (Speaking of Conker.. I wouldn't mind another dip if they ported it to the 360 with updated resolution and achievements.)

Amir0x

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
I don't understand how you can hate the collecathon aspect of BK and still prefer BT where the levels are gigantic and you have tons of backtracking to do. And there is the pop up stuff, like you've missed one notes and you can't see it from the distance while you should :lol

Banjo Tooie simply has way better level design. Everything is integrated better, more interconnected and challenges are far more multifaceted, complex and interesting. Platforming challenges were actually pretty neat. It's not to say it doesn't have PLENTY of what I hate about Kazooie - it does - but it's just a much better overall game where it counts.

With the solid framerate, it is now playable too. Of course, the low draw distance of collection items is fucktarded.

Varjet said:
I posted this on the previous page

So yeah, don't use the turbo function at the beginning.

Whoa, good advice. I just 10/10'd Cloud Land

Did anyone manage to beat those shooter challenges? I always come out one short in glitter gulch mine and about 1-3 short in grunty industries.

Go get Tooie's Stop 'n' Swop items, and then pop in Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

You get user created vehicles and they're incredible

JRW

Amir0x said:
With the solid framerate, it is now playable too. Of course, the low draw distance of collection items is fucktarded.

Its worth noting (For those that dont know) BOTH games on N64 had the same low draw distances with items, its just that Banjo 1 on XBLA had further distance than the original so we assumed the same would be true for Tooie... but unfortunately its not, i'm guessing because the levels are so much larger in scope with Tooie they couldn't accommodate this feature? (Shrug)

Oh well the game still rocks.

Couple comparison pics I took awhile back:

Banjo 1 XBLA version (note the draw distance of notes etc.):

360_banjoxlba.jpg

N64 version (not emulated either) This was me just entering the level I hadnt collected anything yet, note the limited object draw distance (cant see the bull and notes on the bridge etc.)

n64_Banjo.jpg

And a couple more for the heck of it showing graphic quality differance:

Banjo 1 XBLA:
360_banjoxlba02.jpg

N64: (not emulated)
n64_Banjo02.jpg

Red

Amir0x said:
I would like to know how you would defend the argument that PoP's collecting is any more the "entire point" than Banjo Kazooie/Tooie's, since that would be an interesting line of discussion.
Don't want to get into a big argument about it, but my thought is that the BK series has more stuff to do than just collect. There's just more game there. I felt PoP verged on non-game, because of how guided the entire thing was. This isn't really the place for that, though, so I'll drop it there.

linkboy

I haven't picked up Tooie yet since I'm in the process of moving and I don't have my internet setup yet.

However, I did play the original N64 version at my Play-N-Trade today and it was a total mess. The game ran like crap and was slow, not to mention it looked terrible (to be fair, the N64 was hooked up to a HDTV with composite cables).

I'll defintely prefer the XBLA version over the N64 version, can't wait to get it.

Wizpig

autobzooty said:
Go get Tooie's Stop 'n' Swop items, and then pop in Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

You get user created vehicles and they're incredible
You need N&B DLC, if i'm not mistaken?
And Tooie doesn't actually tell you that you unlocked those in N&B, right?

Top Bottom