• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Batman: Arkham games haven't been topped in the Superhero gaming space

amigastar

I'm gonna be honest, when i first saw Arkham Asylum i thought it would be a 70ish game (Superhero game? Can't be good, right?) but Rocksteady proved me wrong.

Not just in the superhero gaming space, I've completed Arkham Knight twice and still think about it fairly regularly.

For me personally it raised every bar: Storyline, graphics, gameplay, quality.

SCB3

Both the Arkham games and Spiderman are the best, its hard to pick between Arkham Asylum and Spiderman though, I will say though the Batman games have the same issue that the films do in that its either a great Batman or a great Bruce Wayne, they never seem to be able to do both, Arkham Knight may be the closest we see to seeing why Batman is the "Worlds Greatest Detective" though, Spiderman never really has this issue as both Peter and Miles ARE Spiderman and the human character at the same time

GymWolf

Asylum and city were great, the other 2, not so much.

Asylum was the only one masterpiece.

On the other hand, they invented the absolute scourge that is free flow combat style that many lazy devs use when they don't know how to make a decent combat system, so fuck them for that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I don't think spidey is that far away from city, originas and knight, main story was good and combat was a more acrobatic evolution, sidecontent was meh but i didn't gave a fuck about the riddler puzzles so...

Last edited:

Roberts

Shit, this thread is a reminder that I need to try these games out. The first one came out at the time when I barely played videogames at all and certainly didn't read about them so I missed all the hype. Only played Arkham Knight which was ok, but never finished it. Spider-Man was pretty damn good if you focused on main story - the rest was boring.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Arkham City was 100% solid throughout the entire experience. No weak spots.

I’d say Marvel Ultimate Alliance ranks up there as well.

Bond007

I would agree with you but then Spiderman happened.
The first few Batmans were amazing and in my opinion they eventually started falling off.

Yeah, nothing beats the atmosphere of Asylum. City was good too, but I felt it could've been even better.

Spider-Man was also good and really enjoyable but felt a lot more "shallow" to me.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I've been thinking about replaying Asylum. Not sure whether to play the remaster or OG though.
I played the original on Xbox 360 (almost 100%; didn't finish all of the Combat Challenges) and the remaster on Xbox One X (100%) and didn't notice any negatives. I'm not saying they aren't there; only that I didn't notice them. The remasters are regularly on sale for very cheap.

Hugare

One of the best trilogies in gaming

I remember when Asylum came out of nowhere and shook the industry. It was Batman perfected.

Then City came out and it was even better (debatable, to me it was)

I enjoy the Spider-man games, but they dont even come close (while using 90% of Arkham's combat)

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think Spiderman 2018 is right up there with the Arkham games. Knight is a notch below City/Asylum but still great. I would also put the vastly underrated Midnight Suns right up there too, it's incredible and nobody cares.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I prefer Spider-Man 2018 & Miles Morales, but Arkham Asylum and City are definitely top tier games.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Well it also went downwards in the series. As far as iam concerned the first was a 10/10 and city 8/10 and knight 7/10. I never got the hype for the last two games.

GymWolf

Spiderman's biggest issue was a lack of depth in stealth. It just existed in name only
Wasn't the stealth very similar to gotham? They both have stealth takedowns, moving from an high point to another, gadget to distract, gadget to stun etc.

Is it because you don't fail a mission if you fail the stealth?

Asylum and city both brilliant games, and better than spiderman. Knight I just didn't like the tank fights did not fit with the game. So spiderman is better then that. Probably asylum is actually my favourite.

Zathalus

Not sure how anyone can claim the Spider-Man games to be better. Graphics? Yes. Combat? Maybe? Traversal? Sure. But things like plot, characters, and style? Hah, no.

Don't get me wrong the Spider-Man games are great, it's just that the Arkham games are excellent.

HarryKS

It's odd how Arkham Origins never got an updated version like the 2 others. Different developer yes, but under the same banner still and in collaboration.

Cashon

Banned
It's odd how Arkham Origins never got an updated version like the 2 others. Different developer yes, but under the same banner still and in collaboration.
That game was always the step-child of the series, even before it came out. Partially because gamers are dumb and put too much stock in the name of the development studio that's attached to the game (You could've swapped Rocksteady's entire team with the WB team and the idiots would've still had the same complaints based on the studio names alone) and in the voice talent, but also because some versions apparently were glitchy at launch.
I played it originally on the Wii U and then on the Series X last year, and experienced no glitches.

Excellent game and, in my opinion, is only second to Asylum.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Knight with 80% less Batmobile would be the perfect super-hero game.

Only if it had 100% more Tank Girl.

6ryC.gif

farmerboy

Fuck they were good games. I used to boot up sometimes with 20min spare, just to fly around a bit then beat up some random thugs.

yanhash

I think X-Men legends 2 is the peak superhero game for me. An X-Men game with the same gameplay style as persona/old school ff with the social sim aspects from the institute to krakoa would print money

Top Bottom