• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights | Review Thread

also. I said the game was ugly. I think a better descriptor would be that the graphics are inconsistent. Because the game was pretty ugly for my first couple hours. But then i played the first Harley thing and Harley looked great. And my character (Robin) looked great too. The game just randomly decides sometimes that its going to look good or look blurry and jagged.

i hate the grapnel guns rocket zipline effect that defies the laws of physics. But i will say i do like that i can grapnel to lower levels. Which im not sure u could do in the arkham games? from what i recall u could only grapnel up. It also has a jump option after the grapnel that i do like as u can chain it into an attack.

Hugare

Had to do a doubletake whilst I was browsing Gamespot. A 4.0 out of 10, that has to be a record for a AAA developer.
[/URL][/URL]
This is no AAA developer

WB Montreal only did Arkham Origins of relevance. Everything else was just acting as support studio.

And people love praising that game, but it was a bugged mess (still is), and they only managed to ship the game because they reused the same map, engine, combat system and design choices from the Rocksteady games.

And they even managed to fuck up the combat system somehow

Not surprised at all by this final result. The studio never had the pedigree.

Last edited:
Games made for co-op are always much worse single-player experiences than games made for single-player. Always.
i don't know. one of my top 5 single-player experiences last gen was the division. also liked ghost recon: breakpoint. unless these aren't 'games made for co-op'? i thought they were...

Krathoon

Is there a special thing you do to stop crimes? I just beat up some criminals and it did not register that I stopped some crimes.

Darak

I've had the opportunity to play both the PS5 and the PC version (in a computer with a 2080, which on paper offers similar performance) and, while both versions have atrocious performance, the game improves *a lot* in 60fps. The PC has a ton of performance issues in the open world, but fortunately most of the combat is played inside closed areas where performance is solid. I have a ton of issues with the combat, but many of them are mitigated with a good framerate.

I'm dumbfounded by their decision of locking the console versions to 30fps and not providing a performance mode. It really makes no sense. Even if you had to play at 1080p or with bad performance in the open world, it's worth it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
had about 7 hours in coop, constant disconnects and crashes on my friends PC.... I am enjoying it at times but then something happens that just ruins the experience for me. So far its just so generic and especially in coop (one of the key advertised features) its buggy as fuck with teleporting vehicles and getting trapped in animations if a teammate kills an enemy your are grappling for example which happens constantly.

quite frankly its not the worst game ever made.... but its sure as hell not even good its just "alright" definitely going down as a stinker in terms of WB, feels like its designed by a committee and I don't really want to continue playing.

Last edited:
I'm about three hours in on PS5. Some super early impressions.

First things first - in a way this is the Batman game I've always wanted: open world, solve crimes, help Gotham citizens. Conceptually I like this a lot. However, obviously you're not playing as Batman and that just fucking sucks. No one in the Batman family is even remotely as cool to play as Batman. Literally every time I stand on some rooftop overlooking Gotham I think to myself "damn I wish I was playing as Batman".

The city looks okay. I like the neon-colored fog but it's a far cry from Arkham Knight's Gotham City as is well documented at this point. I also think having better rain effects would do this game a huge service. Everything just feels kinda flat, bland and boring. It's also not nearly populated enough, there are way too little citizens on the streets to make it feel alive.

The gameplay is okay. So far the combat is super simple and I don't think it's going to get any deeper. It's literally a button masher. Why they moved away from a perfect combat system that many games tried to emulate but barely ever succeeded in is beyond me.
The investigations are kinda dumb and I think it's hilarious there's a dedicated "SOLVE NOW" button that lets you skip piecing the clues together and just gives you the solution. You know, in case you're unable to rub two braincells together.

There's a lot of jank going on, especially with the parkour. The grapple is ridiculous and defies the laws of physics in every way. It's just dumb as fuck. There's also an extremely annoying bug/glitch where you kinda magnetize to a spot for some reason. So you'll jump down but kinda float to some point. It's hard to describe.

Bat bike fucking sucks and completely tanks performance. IT's not fun to drive either. It's ridiculous there are THIRTY FIVE unlockable color schemes for that thing.

Final thing, and it has been mentioned a thousand times already but cannot be overstated: how absolutely terrible the UI / UX is. Every menu, every icon, the way you navigate the menus, the way the menu segments are lined up, the font sizes. Everything is fucking ghastly and makes the game look and feel extremely cheap. Literally 1/10 design on that one.

Edit: hiding the Jim Lee skins behind a 25 euro DLC pack is abhorrent. Fuck you, WB.
Better review than 90% of reviews ^^ . $25 for skins for the bike is BS! Having a "solve now" button is pathic! Lol .. this is the kind of "accessibility" feature that is "in" right now. Sad

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Better review than 90% of reviews ^^ . $25 for skins for the bike is BS! Having a "solve now" button is pathic! Lol .. this is the kind of "accessibility" feature that is "in" right now. Sad

How does that feature effect anything ? Tomb raider or uncharted I recall had that for their puzzles , or major hints that may as well solve it for you either way.

If someone doesn’t want to engage with a crime scene puzzle, then why force them ? These aren’t good puzzles either way. If you fail just try again, trial and error on repeat easily.

The skin cost for the bike is beyond idiotic though lol.

The game for me so far is a 8.5/10. Loving it. I’m not even a DC fan, didn’t care of the Arkham games, and in general don’t dig open world games. Played with a buddy today and he’s on a 3060 and I’m on a 3080. Both had no real issues. Game ran great, looked great and was a ton of fun .

My only major issue was in co op he joined my world , and when we did a main story mission he and I were both on, it only gave me progress . He had to redo it when he went back to his world. Very lame.

amigastar

How does that feature effect anything ? Tomb raider or uncharted I recall had that for their puzzles , or major hints that may as well solve it for you either way.

If someone doesn’t want to engage with a crime scene puzzle, then why force them ? These aren’t good puzzles either way. If you fail just try again, trial and error on repeat easily.

The skin cost for the bike is beyond idiotic though lol.

The game for me so far is a 8.5/10. Loving it. I’m not even a DC fan, didn’t care of the Arkham games, and in general don’t dig open world games. Played with a buddy today and he’s on a 3060 and I’m on a 3080. Both had no real issues. Game ran great, looked great and was a ton of fun .

My only major issue was in co op he joined my world , and when we did a main story mission he and I were both on, it only gave me progress . He had to redo it when he went back to his world. Very lame.
So you're saying it's a hidden gem?

i will say i think the reviews were mostly fair. Its the general consensus and reaction to reviews like that are what is going to kill the game. Nowadays if a games not a 9.5 or higher a game might be screwed depending on expectations. A big new supposedly AAA batman like game can't afford to be less than perfect in todays landscape. And its a flawed game thats executed poorly. So its gonna be one of those YMMV kinda games. For me, who loves open world games, really likes Nightwing and Red hood its a good game. For someone else i can see them saying it sucks if they already aren't into what this game will offer. Its just not going to be one of those unanimous everyone likes it kinda games.

Last edited:

FingerBang

Okay is not 7/10. Okay is 4/10. Average is 5/10. Good is 6-7/10.
Many others have pointed that out, but scores for games are basically unplayable below 6/10 and good game from 8 and above. It's a stupid system, but it's the way it works.

This is a game held back by some poor balancing choices that can potentially be fixed. It has good story and characters and well crafted missions hid behind some open world/live service crap that has no reason to be there.

To be honest the biggest issue is the expectations everyone had compared to the previous games. It's unfair but also unavoidable.

iHaunter

Many others have pointed that out, but scores for games are basically unplayable below 6/10 and good game from 8 and above. It's a stupid system, but it's the way it works.

This is a game held back by some poor balancing choices that can potentially be fixed. It has good story and characters and well crafted missions hid behind some open world/live service crap that has no reason to be there.

To be honest the biggest issue is the expectations everyone had compared to the previous games. It's unfair but also unavoidable.
Every character plays exactly the same. The skill trees are also quite pointless. Animations are rigid. Batgirl has a nice booty at least.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm about an hour in so really early. It's OK, there's jank and the 30 fps hurts but I'll spend some time on it.

Looking forward to unlocking some of the sweet outfits and caving some heads in.

Here's hoping for a performance mode. I'd happily play this at 1440 or 1080 if it means a smoother experience.
Ok so probably 5 or so hours in now and really enjoying this. The open world is detailed and fun to navigate, the graphics are great and the story and interactions are engaging.

The combat is the real standout for me. It takes a while to get going but once you have a few options under your belt the combat opens up and you can start to really dish out some sweet justice.

The mission where you are chasing down Mr Freeze and you have to free some scientists with a massive rail gun was epic. Wave after wave of victims come pouring in and just when you think it's over, more spawn in ready to receive. At this stage of the game, the combat just clicked and this setpiece was fucking awesome.

Hope there's a patch to fix some of the jank soon but if not, eh, I'm having a great time.
hPr42ZX.png

GymWolf

Is there a special thing you do to stop crimes? I just beat up some criminals and it did not register that I stopped some crimes.
The crimes that you need to grind are the one with the red symbol on the map, the one with a white symbol are just small things to get experience or to interrogate criminals to get more red symbols in the map.

Darak

This game is frustrating, because there is a gem here somewhere, but it is hidden under layers of terrible design decisions, poor technical execution and mediocre art direction. You can have a great time with the game if you are lenient with its shortcomings, but it's a shame. Maybe a future patch will at least improve the balance issues in hard mode and the game's performance, but I don't have much hope to be honest.

FingerBang

Every character plays exactly the same. The skill trees are also quite pointless. Animations are rigid. Batgirl has a nice booty at least.
Yeah, but the gameplay isn't all bad and I enjoyed the story missions both from a design and storytelling perspective.

I'm not staying people should get out and buy it, but it's far from the worst pos I've ever played.

Methos#1975

I don't think its the best game ever and it's performance is iffy at times, but I'm still pretty into its gameplay loop. It's a game that really should of been released with a trial because some will really enjoy it for what it is and letting gamers get a chance to try it without solely listening to reviews wouod help it.
JygLzd4.jpg
MDytiaV.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah there's a fair bit of activism in the game.

The bit about Tim being bi "coming up in character interactions within the scope of how normal conversations would bring this up" shows how warped these activists are. I have never in my entire life had a "normal" conversation where the other person's sexual orientation randomly comes up.

In fairness the cops being corrupt is very Gotham City though, can't slam them for that because that's typical Batman stuff.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I can understand devs being unexperienced/untalented/not having enough founds/preassured by publisher when game needed at least 2more years in the oven.

What i cant understand is still reviewers(some, but still) giving such a trash game like this one anything over a 4, coz if 5 is avg game, this game is far below avg on basically every spectrum, from story, to graphics, to performance, to gameplay/actual fun factor.

Woke agenda is only icing on that shitty cake, if game was good or at least avg we wouldnt care that much.

Personally 100x prefer crunch time high quality game vs this, i care about effects, not the process, since i pay for it(or in this case wait for free EGS copy or 5$ bargain bin, hell the order 1886 (2015 game for 1,8tf console)was bad and discounted heavily(20$ after 6weeks? something crazy unprecented) and it still looked and played better , just as a comparision, coz comparing this dung to diamond of a game like Arkham Knight is crime in itself :)

And lol at GAF users defending this pile of garbage/telling its ok/not that bad, either they are devs/family of devs trying to dmg control or some crazy ppl who cant recognize quality (in this case, actual lack of quality)of the game even when it literally smacks them in the jaw.

Dibils2k

15 hours in, still enjoying it, its one of those games where i go "ok do this side mission then i am done" but then i get suckered into doing a few more quests.

i must also mention this game looks amazing in HDR, on a OLED anyway, since there is so many bright elements around darkness

Spyxos

Gold Member
As i expected, graphic are very nice in many moments (indoors are very detailed), faces and enemy models are way better in this one.

Performance with dlss are decent, basically locked in indoors but yeah when you drive the bike the framerate does the fuck he wants but moving on foot with the grappling hook is more fun so it's not a big problem for me when i can just mostly ignore the bike, playing at 1440p60 with a mix of ultra/high/medium on a 2070 super, the shill up guy and his "all setting on medium" can fuck right off.

It look better than knight except the water, much better art style, wet effect and great rain are what trick people into thinking that a 7 years old game could ever look better than a modern one, sure the fact that we even make a comparison doesn't play in favour of knights and it should look much better for being locked at 30 on console.

Combat is much better when you are not a gaming journalist showing your gaming prowess, animations are ok, it is weighty enough and the slide is way more toned down than other batman games, it has a bit more weight and slow pace than the other arkham games but it's far from unplayable, i like how different the characters feel.

General movements can be on the clunky side sometimes.

Writing is absolutely on par with stuff like spidey ps4 and arkham series, not great but absolutely serviceable with some nice moments.

Probably still a 6-7 game tops (so like a 5 from edge), but hardly a 3 or 4, but i only played 3 hours so my opinion can change a bit.

Just to put graphic in perspective

Knight bruce
maxresdefault.jpg

Knights bruce

gotham-knights-bruce-wayne.png

Batgirl voice acting is fucking bad, her voice is super grating, but she has a thicc ass, so... :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Little spoiler: it's not up there with elden ring as goty contender:messenger_grinning_sweat:
One Bruce is ingame the other one is cgi.

GymWolf

One Bruce is ingame the other one is cgi.
This is cutscene right? it's a bit better yeah, i think his batman model is way better (obviously)

maxresdefault.jpg

Also i think that the bruce from GK is real time cutscene more than straight up cg.

The details on the pistol are pretty nice tho :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

15 hours in, still enjoying it, its one of those games where i go "ok do this side mission then i am done" but then i get suckered into doing a few more quests.

i must also mention this game looks amazing in HDR, on a OLED anyway, since there is so many bright elements around darkness
Are you on pc? do you had to make heavy adjustements with the hdr or it's good out of the box?

Half the times i don't even bother with hdr on pc because it's fucked most of the times.

Mobilemofo

Bout 5 hours in. Got it on loan. One of the annoying things for me is the buildings, they are modern and look out of place. Lacks a bit of atmosphere too..streets are proper empty. Bike is boring to ride also. Environments feel clinical, and weird. Some of the lighting is weird also, but other than these things, it's ok so far. I don't feel compelled to continue playing so I'm not going too.

Mobilemofo

I can understand devs being unexperienced/untalented/not having enough founds/preassured by publisher when game needed at least 2more years in the oven.

What i cant understand is still reviewers(some, but still) giving such a trash game like this one anything over a 4, coz if 5 is avg game, this game is far below avg on basically every spectrum, from story, to graphics, to performance, to gameplay/actual fun factor.

Woke agenda is only icing on that shitty cake, if game was good or at least avg we wouldnt care that much.

Personally 100x prefer crunch time high quality game vs this, i care about effects, not the process, since i pay for it(or in this case wait for free EGS copy or 5$ bargain bin, hell the order 1886 (2015 game for 1,8tf console)was bad and discounted heavily(20$ after 6weeks? something crazy unprecented) and it still looked and played better , just as a comparision, coz comparing this dung to diamond of a game like Arkham Knight is crime in itself :)

And lol at GAF users defending this pile of garbage/telling its ok/not that bad, either they are devs/family of devs trying to dmg control or some crazy ppl who cant recognize quality (in this case, actual lack of quality)of the game even when it literally smacks them in the jaw.
I get that you dislike it and that's fine, I also think it's average this far, but don't give shit to people who are quite enjoying it. It's fuckin retarded, and makes you look like a proper cocksucker. Different tastes and all that. New gen players/ New to gaming etc..

PeteBull

I get that you dislike it and that's fine, I also think it's average this far, but don't give shit to people who are quite enjoying it. It's fuckin retarded, and makes you look like a proper cocksucker. Different tastes and all that. New gen players/ New to gaming etc..
I dont critique players tastes, just their need to defend really bad game, im big fan of the genre and finished AK back on my ps4 in 2015(not 100% so i only saw bonus fight vs riddler on youtube), had solid 84%, and thats plenty to prove my love for batman games.

Oh, and im also fan(atic) of star ocean series, for me that one https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness was still 9/10 game, or even 9,5/10, im just not crazy enough to preach to fellow GAFers how amazing game it was/is, i accept its weakest in the series and mediocre, just personally i love it- unlike some ppl in this thread praising really bad game(even its extremly shitty graphics)then telling others to stfu or like u calling me cocksucker :)

Just accept it, u enjoy shitty game that even the likes of game informer and ign gave well below avg scores, if we call shit actual shit its not like we killing ur family member/dog, we just stating the truth =D

Mobilemofo

I dont critique players tastes, just their need to defend really bad game, im big fan of the genre and finished AK back on my ps4 in 2015(not 100% so i only saw bonus fight vs riddler on youtube), had solid 84%, and thats plenty to prove my love for batman games.

Oh, and im also fan(atic) of star ocean series, for me that one https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness was still 9/10 game, or even 9,5/10, im just not crazy enough to preach to fellow GAFers how amazing game it was/is, i accept its weakest in the series and mediocre, just personally i love it- unlike some ppl in this thread praising really bad game(even its extremly shitty graphics)then telling others to stfu or like u calling me cocksucker :)

Just accept it, u enjoy shitty game that even the likes of game informer and ign gave well below avg scores, if we call shit actual shit its not like we killing ur family member/dog, we just stating the truth =D
What a wall of waffle. 😄 Spelling is first class by the way..

Honestly, get a grip mate. Nobody is having a wankfest over it..people enjoy it..clearly you don't because your a bit anal, and that's ok ..just move on instead of crying about it? 😄

Kinda reminds me a bit of the reaction to Mad Max when it came out, where it got a similar mixed bag of reviews mainly due to the gating of the missions where you had to do a checklist of smaller repetitive tasks to unlock them, on top of scrap farming for upgrades etc and the fact the combat was slower than similar WB games and a bit more clunky. Some people loved the gameplay loop, but I think a lot of reviewers sort of got impatient with it.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
The only explanation is that they lost a bunch of talented devs. And replaced with this amazing new generation of pronouns people.

It's Montreal, so, it's very likely. They weren't that talented to begin with, according to the reception Arkham Origins got.

Hot5pur

Played for a few hours, lots of systems to learn. Review sits like IGN and Gamespot are full of shit though. I don't understand how they could give scores of 4 or 5. Probably a bunch of edge lords wanting clicks in a big dick contest over who can give the lower rating.
List of positives:
- the different characters are quite unique and interesting
- combat is simpler than Arkham but appropriate for this game, seems there are a lot of skills and evolution of the combat
- graphics are quite nice with a huge amount of detailed areas that makes the world well-realized (interiors)
- voice acting and general production values are very high
- the storytelling is pretty good, I'm invested
- the crafting system is a nice-to-have with different weapons and also cosmetics, I don't find the menus terribly complex like some people were mentioning. Aesthetically it's kind of basic, though.
- overall performance on PC is solid, can keep it at 60 FPS with DLSS on quality, no raytracing, 4k on max with a 3080

Some negatives:
- the batcycle is kinda meh, the framerate is iffy there. Don't care about the speed as you don't really spend that much time on it.
- raytracing is completely broken on this game in terms of what it does to performance

I think for me it'll end up being a 7.5-8/10, 8+ once co-op is factored in because I plan to co-op the whole thing on hard and only progress once I'm levelled up enough. Gonna get my mileage from this bad boy.
Really disappointed in some of the reviewers, the reddit impressions were far more reliable.

MonkD

Having a lot fun playing this as co-op. Was afraid I'd hate it since I'm a massive fan of the Arkham series, but I quite like it. When it's good it's really good, but a lot of the time it feels janky and unpolished. I'd say it's a pretty great if you look at it from outside of Arkhams shadow.

The only explanation is that they lost a bunch of talented devs. And replaced with this amazing new generation of pronouns people.
i'd say it's also a matter of 'working from home' not really being all that viable (& not just regarding game development, either). people collaborating with each other need to be with each other, personally. as digital as we may've become, it still matters...

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I've been grinding all day to unlock the Knighthood travel skills for Nightwing, Batgirl and Robin and man, Robin got the short end of the stick for sure. That teleport is ridiculously bad to use. It completely destroys any flow because it literally freezes the game, the controls are sluggish and the warp looks terrible. Seriously, who the fuck wants to warp around the city like this? Not to mention it's not faster than just jumping / grappling.

Barbara's glide is okay but they forgot the grapple boost so the flow is pretty bad there as well. Also tanks framerate on PS5.

Nightwing's much ridiculed Fortnite glider looks dumb as fuck but that thing is actually the best because you can actually fly up. Moves super slow though. All traversal options are super slow. Batman is rolling in his grave.

Considering how much of the game revolves around parkouring around the city, Nightwing's ninja flip moves are just most fun to do. It's just cool to acrobatic flip over buildings, whereas Batgirl and Robin just jump. Nothing fancy, they just jump. How boring.

Also I want to point out that the "scan the drone" missions are probably the most insulting, time-wasting missions I have ever played. EVER. It is unreal that someone suggested this and a team of videogame developers actually went ahead and built it instead of firing that employee.

You literally stand there doing nothing and wait until a drone lands on some recharging station, and then you press a scan button for three seconds. That's it. You just stand there like a total asshole while some stupid drone flies around. I cannot put into words how much I hate this.

Last edited:

PeteBull

i'd say it's also a matter of 'working from home' not really being all that viable (& not just regarding game development, either). people collaborating with each other need to be with each other, personally. as digital as we may've become, it still matters...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WB_Games_Montréal they were avg in the first place already, and looks like it went downhill even from that( their best game was mostly copy paste of previous batman games and still only got to 70s metacritic) they werent studio with tons of good games, they made 1 decent game that already had template for itself, and rest were bad/below avg, dunno if game sells badly it wont lead to studio cancelation/big layouts now, but what can u do, man, u cant reward them for this kind of work =/

theres no chance this is better than Elden Ring. but i will say performance is either better or at least on par with how Elden Ring was for me on launch. And its cutscenes and story are more engaging than just the vague circle talk u get from NPCs in elden ring. graphically it probably looks better also, just not art direction wise. Which elden ring is just a blurry low res mess also, but the scenery and style of the game is a million times better. but then like everything else in Elden Ring is much better.

PeteBull

theres no chance this is better than Elden Ring. but i will say performance is either better or at least on par with how Elden Ring was for me on launch. And its cutscenes and story are more engaging than just the vague circle talk u get from NPCs in elden ring. graphically it probably looks better also, just not art direction wise. Which elden ring is just a blurry low res mess also, but the scenery and style of the game is a million times better. but then like everything else in Elden Ring is much better.
We got legit info from DF about how game performs on all 3 current gen consoles, and its 30fps with nasty dips all the time, sometimes even to 20fps, just watch

And right away we can compare it to Elden Ring it was pretty bad too but at least didnt fell down below 30fps(altho still very juddery), on top u had option to smooth it out with vrr on xbox or play ps4pro app for very stable 60fps(altho visuals downgraded vastly in that case).

Top Bottom