• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The battle of Cyberpunks

Best cyberpunk world

• The Ascent

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Blade Runner

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Cloudpunk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • Daikatana

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Detroit Become Human

• Deus Ex

Votes: 57 27.1%
  • Dreamfall

• Final Fantasy 7

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Ghostrunner

• Hard Reset

• Ion Fury

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Metal Gear

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Remember Me

• Shadowrun

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Stray

• Mirrors Edge

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • System Shock

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Observer

• Total voters
Forget gameplay, this is about the atmosphere of each game, the world-building, the theme, the story-bits and how well they represent the term cyberpunk. Which does it best? I may have skipped/forgotten a few games, sorry or deal with it.

gHhuxYD.jpg

I love the cyberpunk genre but too many times it feels too scifi/fantasy which isn't bad. And I won't lie and say I've played all those games but I'd say Cyberpunk 2077 is the game that feels most realistic and true to the cyberpunk genre. The game almost acts like a warning to show what the world could be and it doesn't dress it up. The world it shows is terrifying and depressing. I get why people are into the cyberpunk genre and have even seen people say they want to live in a cyberpunk world. You don't want to live in a cyberpunk world because it's awful and I think 2077 is the game that brings that message across. As fun as it is to play (or so I think) there is no way I'd want to step foot into that reality and sadly it's a reality that we seem to be hurtling towards.

the sense of scale walking around in cyberpunk is so well done, makes my peepee go weewee.
The game has flaws but Night City is crazy to explore. I wish there was more things to do and interiors to explore but what CDPR done is impressive enough on it's own. I don't know how they went from The Witcher 3 to that lol. They pushed the RED Engine real fucking hard and you can see it struggling. I can't wait to see what they do on Unreal Engine with the sequel :messenger_fearful:

Dynasty8

As far as the "world" itself goes, nothing even comes close to Cyberpunk 2077. If you haven't played it due to the backlash at launch, you are missing out on one of the coolest open worlds ever created.

I would highly recommend playing it after September 26th if you decide to. That being said, FFVII and Metal Gear Solid are two of my favorite games ever, but I'd still easily put the "world" and atmosphere of 2077 leagues ahead.

I can read wikipedia description.

What I mean is that for example New York in MGS2 is just normal New York. Hi tech focus in MGS is on specific military weapons.

Cyperpunk worlds are usually much different than that.
Cyberpunk. Cyber. Punk. Hi-tech. Low life.

That's the thing about cyberpunk. It doesn't need to be a rainy city full of neon signs. It can be normal new york. It doesn't matter that the hi tech is military (infact what is more hitech than military tech?). If the tech creates advantages for governments/companies and has consequences for the mass population then it can still be considered cyberpunk.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend playing it after September 26th if you decide to
The patch for the release of Phantom Liberty (rumored to be 2.0!) will be a good point to jump in even if you don't buy the expansion. If anyone has waited this long I'd suggest holding off a few months for some more patches. It seems PL will be adding/reworking lots of things. You'll probably be fine going in at launch. I just remember a few quests being broken at launch for B&W (Witcher 3) release and I'm too busy with Baldur's Gate 3 at the moment so as excited as I am for PL i'm going to hold off a bit.

Also they might as well wait for the inevitable "Enhanced/Complete/GOTY edition" that could change things up more.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I can read wikipedia description.

What I mean is that for example New York in MGS2 is just normal New York. Hi tech focus in MGS is on specific military weapons.

Cyperpunk worlds are usually much different than that.
  1. a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.
Is the Metal gear Solid 4 world dominated by computer technology?

Bojji

Cyberpunk. Cyber. Punk. Hi-tech. Low life.

That's the thing about cyberpunk. It doesn't need to be a rainy city full of neon signs. It can be normal new york. It doesn't matter that the hi tech is military (infact what is more hitech than military tech?). If the tech creates advantages for governments/companies and has consequences for the mass population then it can still be considered cyberpunk.

1. a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.
Is the Metal gear Solid 4 world dominated by computer technology?

Looks like any world with tech more advanced than ours can be put in that genre, it's wide as fuck...

Last edited:

Red5

Deus Ex and System Shock, they're the only ones who portrayed Cyberpunk beyond the neon/futuristic aesthetic and delved into the anti predatory corporate capitalism. Cyberpunk was established in the 80's at the height of the cocaine epidemic, Reaganomics and a Japan scare after all.

poodaddy

Easily Deus Ex, there really isn't a contest there in my opinion. Just such an interesting world filled with intrigue and mystery. I love Cyberpunk.....but the dystopia of Cyberpunk is literally that future L.A. just becomes slightly more L.A. than modern L.A., which isn't as interesting as Deus Ex's take in my opinion.

VII cyberpunk? Come on!
Shinra is a megacorp that controls energy and has influence over society and politics. They are also involved in genetic engineering and space travel. They have their own private military.

A lot of the characters in VII are negatively affected by Shinra.

Sounds perfectly cyberpunk to me. What about it do you think makes it not cyberpunk?

Don't piss on me and tell me it's rain.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
0.jpg

Shinra is a megacorp that controls energy and has influence over society and politics. They are also involved in genetic engineering and space travel. They have their own private military.

A lot of the characters in VII are negatively affected by Shinra.

Sounds perfectly cyberpunk to me. What about it do you think makes it not cyberpunk?
Still not cyberpunk at all.
Only that little Midgar section could be passed for cyberpunk, by squinting very hard.

Last edited:

YuLY

You forgot Syndicate (RTS + 2012 FPS) and Binary Domain.

My choices: Deus Ex (especially HR+MD) > Cyberpunk 2077 > Blade Runner > Shadowrun > Syndicate > Binary Domain > Hard Reset.

The rest are either meh or barely can be considered cyberpunk. For example I see Metal Gear more as military techno thriller than cyberpunk, even if the later (story wise) games have some parts that could fit.

I love the cyberpunk genre but too many times it feels too scifi/fantasy which isn't bad. And I won't lie and say I've played all those games but I'd say Cyberpunk 2077 is the game that feels most realistic and true to the cyberpunk genre. The game almost acts like a warning to show what the world could be and it doesn't dress it up. The world it shows is terrifying and depressing. I get why people are into the cyberpunk genre and have even seen people say they want to live in a cyberpunk world. You don't want to live in a cyberpunk world because it's awful and I think 2077 is the game that brings that message across. As fun as it is to play (or so I think) there is no way I'd want to step foot into that reality and sadly it's a reality that we seem to be hurtling towards.
I kind of want to live there… I loved the interiors of those mega towers. I’ve spent so much time in Night City that it kinda feels like home. I have favourite cafes and stuff.

I was unfortunate to play through the entirety of CP77 as a bugg, unfinished mess. I can't go to bat for this 'game'. I hate seeing it on late adopters who got to play it in a better state.

So my vote goes to The Ascent. Another buggy game but had a much richer cyberpunk atmosphere.

I picked Blade Runner because it was included and I was thinking of the movie, not the game. In fact, I have never played the game, ever.
Otherwise, Let them Fight: Cyberpunk 2077 VS Deus Ex

oji-san

Banned
I'll go with Deus Ex. played some of the games on the list and i think that Human Revolution and Mankind Divided has a unique and overall the most i liked atmosphere.

Always liked how the world looked on Remember Me. It's kinda on the cusp of going full on typical cyberpunk and keeping the more traditional architecture of Paris gives it a different aesthetic & vibe compared to most other cyberpunk games I've played.

VII cyberpunk? Come on!

Kinda still counts. Sure, its fantasy more but it clearly has some cyberpunk roots. Most FF are low life high tech stuff which one would argue fits in the pure sci-fi/fantasy realm but eh. We could prolly debate it forever so I'll just leave it at that.

In what way Metal Gear is CP?

Revengence more than the rest but its still canon to the franchise which means, metal gear in my eyes has cyberpunk roots even if poorly shown.

Top Bottom