• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The battle of Cyberpunks

Best cyberpunk world

• The Ascent

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Blade Runner

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Cloudpunk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • Daikatana

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Detroit Become Human

• Deus Ex

Votes: 57 27.1%
  • Dreamfall

• Final Fantasy 7

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Ghostrunner

• Hard Reset

• Ion Fury

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Metal Gear

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Remember Me

• Shadowrun

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Stray

• Mirrors Edge

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • System Shock

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Observer

• Total voters
The answer shouldve been Cyberpunk 2077 but the world wasn't fully realized.

Maybe I'm just nit-picking but the population density wasn't what you would expect in a metropolis in 2077 and the place looked too clean for having been the site of a nuclear bomb, etc.

In any case the real answer is the Ascent. Those guys crafted an amazingly dense world from scratch with kick-ass gameplay and lore.

RickMasters

deus ex always and forever lol
It would have been my choice too, but cyberpunk 2077, just has that dirty neon vibrancy I expect from a futurisic city riddled with crim and corruption, where we all got crazy augmentations...chasing operatives over roof tops and getting into shoot outs. but man, Deus EX runs it close! I just think it lacks the scale of cyberpunk, but maybe thats down to the hardware limitations at the time of the last deus ex game. would love to see another game come soon.

RickMasters

Where is "Observer"?

observer-system-redux.jpeg
yup, another game that nails the vibe!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Mirrors Edge Catalyst is 100% cyberpunk. People seem to ignore the second game.

mirrors-edge-catalyst-glass-2.jpg

As for Metal Gear, debatable. Cyberpunk is part of sci-fi.
Eh, I don't consider that cyberpunk. Glass in both games is cool, and maybe has some cyberpunk features, but that's about it.

Where's Shin Megami Tensei 1/2/4? Soul Hackers? Digital Devil Saga? Rise of the Dragon? Snatcher?
Out of your list, Deus Ex. Out of my list, Rise of the Dragon.

Last edited:

fatmarco

In terms of raw atmosphere and visuals its definitely The Ascent. None of the other games have come quite as close as far as breathtaking visuals.

But in terms of actual world building, I like Cyberpunk 2077 and Deus Ex, and maybe Blade Runner if it really counts.

A lot of the games in the list aren't Cyberpunk though, they're just science fiction. Like there's nothing about Metal Gear Solid that's Cyberpunk, you're just confusing some limited examples of aesthetic with what Cyberpunk is, which is its themes. Just because someone has a robotic interface or cybernetic enhancements doesn't make it Cyberpunk, otherwise Star Wars and Dune etc. would be Cyberpunk.

Mozzarella

Definitely Deus Ex.
I dont consider System Shock cyberpunk, its more horror imo, if it counts then should add Prey.

Deus Ex is the undisputed king of Cyberpunk.

After that its a battle between Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2077.

And Blade Runner? thats a film, thats entirely another thing, but it is peak Cyberpunk in film.

Games: Deus Ex
Films: Blade Runner
Anime: Ghost in the Shell

Pejo

Deus Ex for me. It feels like lots of cool human enhancements/replacements without going full degenerate schizo mode like CP2077.

Notable mention for Alita Battle Angel too. Cool world lore.

Robb

Gold Member
Out of that list and from what I’ve played Deus Ex is the one I’ve enjoyed the most.

intbal

How many of you have ever read Cyberpunk? The original short story by Bruce Bethke. You can do so here.
The elder statesmen among you will recognize numerous elements in the story that eventually were incorporated into plenty of other media in the 80s and 90s.

Bruce recently commented on the 40th anniversary of the story.

The core notions of cyberpunk fiction remain. It’s an invitation to think seriously about ourselves, our society, and our relationships with our technologies. It’s an opportunity to consider how we interact with, and in turn are transformed by, the things we create. It’s a chance to cast a somewhat jaundiced and cynical eye on the near-term future and really think about what new technologies mean, not just for the lucky eloi living up in their shiny bright towers, but for we poor punks living down on the street. Cyberpunk fiction is an opportunity to get serious.

At least, I thought it would be.

Thus the meta-question: does cyberpunk in 2023 actually have anything new, original, and relevant to say, or is it a fossil form, forever trapped in the 1980s like an insect in amber? Has it become just another style?

Top Bottom