• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The battle over Gamestop is getting really interesting

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Folks on WSB are claiming that this CNBC article is pure fake news and damage control.

Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if CNBC and the likes have always been in on the whole game as protectors of institutional investors.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
0qwv5cjtivd61.jpg

How in fuck

Where are you getting that info from?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That's what they say every day until all it comes crashing down!

Personally, I've got some reasonable stop-limit order set up that should guarantee I don't lose too much of my gains.
A good stop loss to ensure you take some profits is what I would set up if I was going to stay in.

Reactions: Gp1

Trimesh

Banned
You are 100% correct I don't understand shorts or options very well, but this is the point I was talking about. "that's the lowest ask price on the board"

People aren't showing that's likely to be the case.

The thing is there are more stocks being shorted than the available float - effectively, if lots of people try to exit their positions it's absolutely plausible that all the available float will be bought up. Consider our notional investor that bought at $5, got $20 calls and then shorted. Right now, he's constantly bleeding cash to hold the position - if he runs out of cash to pay the margin calls then the trader will liquidate his position at whatever the current price is - this is not too systematically dangerous since all these little broker accounts tend to blow up pretty much randomly.

The really dangerous bit is when the options expire - at that point, there is likely to be a sudden large influx of people all exiting their positions at once (since their losses are capped by calls) - this will quickly absorb all the lowest priced stocks in the market and the only ones left will be extremely high priced - but the MMs will still have to buy them because if they don't they will be unable to satisfy their end of the options contract.

This is exactly why nobody sane should ever get into a situation where you have > 100% short interest - at that point it's a certainty that someone is going to get fucked and all you can do is hope it's not you.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Not saying that's a bad idea, but there's been an 80 pt swing already today, but it's still up 80% for the day. What number can you put your limit at with those kinds of swings?
you put it at the numbers that you are satisfied with making a certain percent. And then just don't worry about the what could have been. If I had $1000 in and that became $50000, I would be good.

I saw one WSB that has 700k in and it was up to 13mil. I would be out and take 10mil out of the market and live off it. Then I would use the other 3 mil to goof off with.

LordOfChaos

you put it at the numbers that you are satisfied with making a certain percent. And then just don't worry about the what could have been. If I had $1000 in and that became $50000, I would be good.

I saw one WSB that has 700k in and it was up to 13mil. I would be out and take 10mil out of the market and live off it. Then I would use the other 3 mil to goof off with.

The true king DFV took 5M out to fuck off for the rest of his life, still had 23M in yesterday which must be obscene today.

I'd be ok with just that fuck off money...I'd be ok with half that fuck off money lol. This is actually better financial advice than most people get:

Buggy Loop

I think I would have folded way before if I was in DeepFuckingValue’s position. But at the same time, this is a legend in the making. He can enter the 9 digits profits, balls of steel, truely the diamond hand god.

Last edited:

Capital gains will take a good chunk of that sadly.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Today, a Director at GameStop (GME), Kathy Vrabeck, sold shares of GME for $1.4M.

Haha. She sold those shares on Jan 15th when one share went for $35.50. If she'd waited two weeks, she could have made $14M. Ouch!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The true king DFV took 5M out to fuck off for the rest of his life, still had 23M in yesterday which must be obscene today.

I'd be ok with just that fuck off money...I'd be ok with half that fuck off money lol. This is actually better financial advice than most people get:

I would take out 15 to 20 mil. That would be all she wrote. I would probably never look at the stack market again except for ETF and mutual funds.

Deanington

This shit is just printing money.

Grats to those that have this. Imagine having 1000 shares or over who got in early, whew lord!

Last edited:

yugoluke

Ya I just tripled my investment. I had $800 lying around uninvested. Bought $100 and sold at $375.

Probably will continue. Shorts expiring on Friday will have to be covered if the price is above a certain threshold. Will continue to grow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I made a risky gamble with some money I couldn't afford to lose the other day, but paper hands'd out at $320. Made a few grand, so I'm happy. Hope it keeps shooting to the moon for the rest of you all.

Buggy Loop

At noon there’ll be a lot of action like yesterday I think. Tomorrow will just be insanity, if nearly all calls are ITM Friday, shorters will panic.

yugoluke

Ya I just tripled my investment. I had $800 lying around uninvested. Bought $100 and sold at $375.

Probably will continue. Shorts expiring on Friday will have to be covered if the price is above a certain threshold. Will continue to grow.
There is literally not a better mechanism in existence where you can express your disdain for wall street (the market manipulating hedge funds) and make money off of their greed. It is literally a win win.

Also not going to lie. The chicken has come home to roost. Retail investors are getting revenge. The average people who have been told to leave investing to the institutions because it is "too complicated for the average Joe" are now sticking it to them. We don't need people to invest on our behalf.

It was not good enough for these hedge funds to short GameStop from $25 to $4 and pull out making massive profit, but they doubled down to the point where over 140% of the available shares for GameStop were shorted. Essentially shorting allows a company to borrow shares from the bank, sell them at current value to another party, and when the stop goes down they just need to return the stock, regardless of its value. This is all fine and dandy when the stock is decreasing in value, BUT if it increases there is actually no limit to your losses. To cover your losses you must actually purchase the shares you have shorted. This results in a MASSIVE influx of buys and drives the stock even further up. This upward spiral is known as a SHORT SQUEEZE, and that is what is taking place with many companies that have massive short interest.

r/Wallstreetbets has identified these companies (with high short interest) and are targeting them knowing that they can trigger massive short squeezes and profit off of these funds greed.

LordOfChaos

I would take out 15 to 20 mil. That would be all she wrote. I would probably never look at the stack market again except for ETF and mutual funds.

I get that, but this guy predicted this a year ago and held firm to everyone telling him he was wrong and losing money, and he's still in. Plus even once he alone executes his calls, that's another gamma squeeze, and Chamath has another 150K of calls, another gamma squeeze.

I'm with the movie above. You put 5M he made in a 3% safe withdrawal fund and live on a comfy 150,000 a year without touching your principal. You're already golden for life, if you're in an expensive area, move. Travel forever, whatever. With the rest he seems aimed at joining the 9 figures club or bust. His life is set already.

Last edited:

Tommi84

"The big fishes" are starting to fight back I see:

On Wednesday, TD Ameritrade said it was restricting trading for GameStop and AMC Entertainment Holdings as well as other names, amid a triple-digit percentage surge in the value of those companies in recent days

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

On Wednesday, TD Ameritrade said it was restricting trading for GameStop and AMC Entertainment Holdings as well as other names, amid a triple-digit percentage surge in the value of those companies in recent days
Go to Robinhood. I was able to place an order a few minutes ago. AMC and Blackberry.

TransTrender

Gold Member

Hmm, me thinks this is market manipulation...

Hmm, me thinks this is market manipulation...
Me thinks you are right. Possibly the hedge funds pulling strings to scare the hodlers into selling their shares. As far as I know the worst they could do is changes the options trading rules and make it more difficult to buy calls/puts.

I'm also hearing FUD about a 30-day hold on GME. Seems like hedge funds are going full nuclear with the disinformation.

Last edited:

Tommi84

Go to Robinhood. I was able to place an order a few minutes ago. AMC and Blackberry.
Nah, I'm not getting into this train. Too much for me :messenger_winking_tongue:. That being said, I wish I had hopped on this one like a week ago, when GME was ~66Dol. Then, I'd sell enough to get my investment back and then leave the rest till like 500-600Dol ;)

BigBooper

What extra restrictions though? Looks like it's just the margin requirements, which is better for the squeeze anyways. Is there more to it?

Top Bottom