• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Double Dragon game no one played, and it's free! (Now with one of the original devs on board!)

Wonko_C

I'm posting this because the game deserves all the attention it can get. The dev's youtube channel only has less than 300 subscribers and that, is a tragedy for such an amazing piece of work. I don't even have any idea how I stumbled upon it.

Legend of the Double Dragon is a reimagining of Super Double Dragon made by Mahcneto/Mr. Q in the OpenBOR engine, and it does many things not seen before in other games using the engine. Some of them even not made in other beat 'em ups before at all!

By pressing one the shoulder buttons on your controller, the Dragon Twins can change to other fighting styles based on the earlier DD games, but that's just the tip of the iceberg, by tapping one of the attack buttons before the style-switching animation ends, you can perform a myriad of new, different moves and combinations, giving the game immense variety as each style has their own style switch attacks.

There are coop moves, new moves for the enemies, expanded stages based on the unfinished SDD game, etc. The creator also loves Killer Instinct and implemented a few combos that are performed similarly, complete with the KI announcer. there's a third unlockable character with even more crazy moves.

The game's complete version just released a few months ago, and he's already working on revamping the game, so much is changing that it's going by a different name: Ultimate Double Dragon.

Then, on september 1st, an unprecedent announcement:

That's right, Koji Ogata, who worked for Technos and was involved since the very first Double Dragon game for the arcades, is going to do new enemy sprites for the game! He's not gonna work for free, though, so support from the fans is needed. Mr. Ogata is tackling Abobo first (the most iconic enemy missing from Super Double Dragon) if enough funds are reached he might even do more enemies.

Really this guy deserves to be picked up by Arc System works and help them make amazing DD games. Puts Double Dragon 4 to shame.

I didn't link to the game directly (I don't know if that's allowed) but you can easily find your way to mahcneto's blog in the description of the videos from his YT channel.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

A demo...
So just a demo or will they be selling this?

The demo is for Ultimate Double Dragon, since that game isn't yet complete they released a WIP build. The finished game will be free since it's a not-for-profit fan game.

In the meantime you can play Legend of the Double Dragon, which was finished a few months ago and is the basis for the new game.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

The demo is for Ultimate Double Dragon, since that game isn't yet complete they released a WIP build. The finished game will be free since it's a not-for-profit fan game.

In the meantime you can play Legend of the Double Dragon, which was finished a few months ago and is the basis for the new game.
Sweet! Pay or no I'm 100% down!

Ichabod

Banned
Thanks for putting this on my radar, OP. Beating Double Dragon 1 & 2 were feathers in my cap as a young gamer. I'll definitely be taking this for a spin.

TLZ

Banned
Thanks for letting me know about this OP. DD2 is one of my fav games. Would never say no to more DD.

Fuz

Banned
Just played the demo. Two big levels.

It's pretty good. Not particularly a fan of being stuck facing in a direction when hitting, this is really outdated and they could have moved forward.
Good pixel art, although I don't think it captures well the DD style (neither did SDD, imho). DD1 art style is still by far the best. All in all it's pretty enjoyable and better than most paid beat'em up out there.

Last edited:

Ellis

Will certainly give this a bash.

When it comes to the original, I still find the Master System version actually plays better than its big arcade brother.

What do you have to hit to make this full screen? I never use shit like this, but had to try for Double Dragon.

Nevermind, found it.

Last edited:

Cravis

Just tried out Legend of Double Dragon. Very, very cool. Super Double Dragon was always one of my favorite DD games due to its slow and methodical pace with counters. The music is really good. The Golden Harvest logo at the start was a nice touch, haha.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
This is cool and all, but since there is money involved now I don't see it lasting much longer

Romulus

I'll give this a go.

Just finished Double Dragon 1-3 again,. They're good games with some cheap enemies. Especially at the end of part 3.

Top Bottom