• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best new IP this generation is still....

T0minator

RETURNAL

As I was making this video a couple weeks ago I fell back in love with this game.

The atmosphere
The gunplay
Endless replayability
The art style and particle effects

There's so many reasons this game is incredible. I can see the difficulty turn people off. But if you play it smart and make the right decisions in the game you're rewarded.

Obviously this is all my opinion but what is everyones favorite new IP this generation?

Here's the video I was making when I fell back in love with Returnal

Bartski

Gold Member
that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

Little Mac

Gold Member
Just bought a Slim and have this on a wishlist on amazon for $30 atm. I think it's on PS Plus Extra too if I ever subscribe.

Regardless, is it a rogue-like or rogue-lite? Is there progression between runs like Hades and Deadcells? I enjoy Rogue-lites more usually. Knowing that no matter how far into the run I get I'm working towards making future runs easier is enjoyable to me and relieves the stress I get with Rogue-likes where its all or nothing.

Last edited:

Aenima

I wish i enjoyed rogue-like games so i could agreee with you OP, but cant agree. Amazing 3rd person shooter ruined by masochist progress mechanics.

Just hope whatever game Housemarque makes next, is not a rogue-like. They make games with great gameplay, it deservers a bigger audience.

winjer

Gold Member
I wish i enjoyed rogue-like games so i could agreee with you OP, but cant agree. Amazing 3rd person shooter ruined by masochist progress mechanics.

Just hope whatever game Housemarque makes next, is not a rogue-like. They make games with great gameplay, it deservers a bigger audience.

This. Rogue-like mechanics are such a cheap way of padding gameplay time, by forcing the gamer to play the same few level's over and over again.

SHA

I play both on ps and xbox, I still prefer a 3rd party game that usually come out of nowhere and ahead of its time and make exclusives look double As in front of it, and these are facts by the way, 3rd parties has the capacity to surpass all first party games.

MagnesD3

Elden Ring is the best bar none but if you count this hardware gen only then maybe for Returnal but I dont have new ip off the top of my head atm.

T0minator

I agree with this opinion as well. Housemarque knows how to make addictive gameplay, they deserve a bigger audience. Rouglike games aren't for everyone...but gawd damn their gameplay loop is top notch and almost unmatched.

Most other new IPs this generation aren't as fun and well designed

Mr Hyde

Awesome game. Will definitely be up there among the greatest games when this gen wraps up. Housemarque knocked it out of the park with this one. Still got Tower of Sisyphus to run through, so I ain't done with Returnal just yet.

Calverz

Its definitely right up there. Shame we wont get a sequel. Maybe now Jimbo is leaving, that decision might be reversed.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll say vampire survivors because I now play any vampire survivor like.

Death Must Die is amazing I’ve played recently. Hades meets vampire survivors.

I love when a genre is born overnight.

Fredrik

Elden Ring is my choice. It’s my #2 all time favorite only behind Super Metroid. I can barely find anything wrong with it at this point, the few things that bugged me around the release I’ve got used to, almost the awful final boss too. Just started a new playthrough on Steam Deck and I’m instantly getting pulled back in yet again.
A masterpiece. 10/10

Returnal is my favorite on Playstation. Hated on it at first, too difficult and not enough things to keep when dying, spent 9 hours dying on the first boss and respawning with a pea shooter. At that point it was a 6/10. Then I learned that cloud saves could give you one persistent save spot. Yay! All I needed, then I finished it and it jumped up to a 9.5 or 10/10, can’t decide.

Starfield is another new favorite. Not quite on the same level, the character design and some other things drags it down a bit. But I absolutely love the combat and general gameplay loop and different side activities with ship building being my favorite. It’s structured as a forever game. I’ve spent over 200 hours on it now and it’s safe to say that it has pretty much ruined my GOTY list since I’ve put everything else on hold and can’t stop playing. It’s my new No Man’s Sky and the old No Man’s Sky is my most played game in my Steam library. 9/10

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I’ll say vampire survivors because I now play any vampire survivor like.

Death Must Die is amazing I’ve played recently. Hades meets vampire survivors.

I love when a genre is born overnight.

Came to post this. VS birthed a new genre alright.

RGB'D

RETURNAL

As I was making this video a couple weeks ago I fell back in love with this game.

The atmosphere
The gunplay
Endless replayability
The art style and particle effects

There's so many reasons this game is incredible. I can see the difficulty turn people off. But if you play it smart and make the right decisions in the game you're rewarded.

Obviously this is all my opinion but what is everyones favorite new IP this generation?

Here's the video I was making when I fell back in love with Returnal

Returnal is good but hardly compares to Cyberpunk 2077 or Elden Ring to name some low hanging fruit. I liked returnal an awful lot for gameplay but the narrative/story was severely dissapointing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I dont get it personally. Seems like they made a TPS roguelike that has really limited weapons and build variety, terrible parasite system, no saving, and fused it with a rip off of Prometheus. Audio design and dual sense features are really neat though. I would be fine with them continuing with the IP if it wasnt a roguelike. I cant think of a worse element in game design than that. Ruined the game for me. I can still play some roguelikes too, but this amomg the worst due to limited builds and limited permanent progression and no saves.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Octopath_Traveler.jpg

Octopath_Traveler_II_cover_art.jpg

Gave birth to HD-2D. A brand new art style for gaming that is already being copied by other developers. That's a larger contribution to videogame media than anything presented by the other games this generation. A peeve of mine is when people mislabel games HD-2D. Star Ocean 2 Remake is not HD-2D. Big difference between these two:

octopath-traveller-ii_2022-09-13_017.jpg

StarOceanTheSecondStoryR_scrn_06.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom