• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best places to live in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U.S. News analyzed the 100 most populous metro areas to find the best places to live. To make the top of the list, a place had to have good value, be a desirable place to live, have a strong job market and a high quality of life.

A link to the full list and article, and more details if you click on the specific city.

Methodology

This data was categorized into the five indexes listed below and then evaluated using a methodology determined by Americans' preferences. The percent weighting for each index follows the answers from a public survey in which people from across the country voted for what they believed was the most important thing to consider when thinking about moving.

Job Market Index – 20 percent

The Job Market Index measures the strength of each metro area's job market. To do this, we've assessed the following two factors to determine how likely residents will be to find employment and what their earning potential will be:

• Unemployment Rate (50 percent): We've calculated the 12-month moving unemployment rate using data from the United States Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This represents whether or not the job market is growing, struggling or remaining stable.
• Median Salary (50 percent): The median salary, as calculated by the BLS, is the best indicator of earning potential in a metro area.

Value Index – 25 percent

The Value Index measures how comfortably the average resident of each metro area can afford to live within his or her means. To accomplish this, we compared the median annual household income to the cost of living in that metro area. The Value Index is determined by dividing the blended median annual household income by the blended annual cost of living for each metro area.

• Blended Median Annual Household Income: Using data from the U.S. Census, we determined the percentage of the national population that owns a home and the percentage of the national population that rents a home. Using those percentages, we calculated a blended median annual household income for each metro area.
• Blended Annual Cost of Living: To determine the annual cost of living for homeowners in each metro area, we consulted the U.S. Census, which collects data on the amount homeowners pay for housing (including mortgage, utilities and taxes). We then extracted an estimated monthly cost for utilities, as well as the average rent, and added that to the median for each metro area to determine the cost of living for renters. We multiplied the cost of living for both owners and renters to get the annual cost, and then using our ratio of renters to owners, we calculated the blended annual cost of living.

Quality of Life Index – 30 percent

The Quality of Life Index measures how satisfied residents are with their daily lives in each ranked metro area. To calculate the Quality of Life scores, we evaluated the following aspects of life in each metro area using a weighted average. To determine the weightings, we surveyed people across the U.S. to see how important they considered each of the aspects evaluated in the index. The Quality of Life Index takes into account:

• Crime Rates (30 percent): We've compared each metro area's violent and property crime rates per 100,000 people to the national rates, as determined by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reports.
• Quality and Availability of Health Care (10 percent): Using data from the U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings, we measured the availability of quality health care by determining the quantity of ranked facilities within 100 and 250 miles of each metro area.
• Quality of Education (25 percent): Using data from the U.S. News Best High Schools rankings, we determined the availability of quality education by calculating the average college readiness score of all schools in the metro area and comparing it to that of all the other ranked metro areas.
• Well-being (15 percent): We use the composite score from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index (which analyzes resident satisfaction in the following areas: purpose, social, financial, community and physical) as a representation of whether or not residents of each metro area are generally happy with their day-to-day lives.
• Commuter Index (20 percent): The Commuter Index uses the U.S. Census' calculation of average commute time, which is a composite of the time spent traveling door-to-door, whether by foot, public transit, car or bicycle.

Desirability Index – 15 percent

The Desirability Index measures whether or not people want to live in a given metro area. To determine this, we asked people from all over the country to tell us where they'd prefer to live.

• Desirability Survey: Using Google Consumer Survey, we polled people across the country to find out in which of the ranked metro areas they would most like to live. The metro areas were then ranked according to the percentage of the total votes they received.

Net Migration – 10 percent

Net Migration measures whether people are moving to or away from each of the metro areas. While the Desirability Index measures whether or not a metro area is appealing, Net Migration represents whether or not a metro area is actually attracting new residents.

• Net Migration: Using data from the U.S. Census – and eliminating any fluctuations caused by births or deaths – we've determined how many people are moving to or away from each metro area.

Top 25 (out of 100):

1) Denver, CO
2) Austin, TX
3) Fayetteville, AR
4) Raleigh-Durham, NC
5) Colorado Springs, CO
6) Boise, ID
7) Seattle, WA
8) Washington, DC
9) San Francisco, CA
10) San Jose, CA
11) Des Moines, IA
12) Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
13) Grand Rapids, MI
14) Sarasota, FL
15) Charlotte, NC
16) San Diego, CA
17) Houston, TX
18) Omaha, NE
19) Charleston, SC
20) Portland, OR
21) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
22) Nashville, TN
23) San Antonio, TX
24) Madison, WI
25) Harrisburg, PA

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
New York didn't make the top 25 and boy am I not surprised. Place is a fucking stinkhole.

Oh, #96.

LOL

Good on Raleigh and Charlotte but I find it kind of strange that Raleigh is so high up. Maybe I've just been to the bad parts (in Durham especially) but it never really came across to me as being that great, despite a place so typically upper crust as Duke University being right there.

Denver is no joke right now. Housing is insane. Trying desperately to buy this year before things get even more out of control.

Good on Raleigh and Charlotte but I find it kind of strange that Raleigh is so high up. Maybe I've just been to the bad parts (in Durham especially) but it never really came across to me as being that great, despite a place so typically upper crust as Duke University being right there.

Durham isn't nearly the cultural epicenter that Raleigh is. Especially when you have neighboring Cary and Apex on the rise.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That's super weird. I spent a year in the Denver area and I straight up didn't like it. I guess by those metrics its doing well, since everyone's moving there for high paying jobs and gentrifying the hell out of it, but my experience in the city proper was not an awesome one

So basically big cities. 2 NC cities is weird, though. RDU triangle is excellent, not sure about Charlotte.

Grand Rapids isn't a big city at all.

Used to live there, loved it.

Live in Minneapolis now, like it better, but G-rap was quality.

Family lives in Fayetteville. It's nice I guess. It's still a very conservative state with some racist thinking and poor education systems. Not sure I agree with that one. The city itself has grown and there's stuff to do, but it's the headquarters of wal mart and it shows.

As a former Iowa resident/current Minnesota resident -

Des Moines ranked above the Twin Cities? GTFO

Des Moines is a nice place though

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Good on Raleigh and Charlotte but I find it kind of strange that Raleigh is so high up.

I’m not surprised. I’ve been to Raleigh many times and I love it down there, it’s a legit nice place IMHO. But then most of NC seems pretty great to me.

In what world does Harrisburg even register?

YES, this surprised me as well. I live an hour east of Harrisburg, and let me tell you it ain’t no mecca of happy people, LOL!!!! I’m surprised anything from PA made the top 25, but Harrisburg??? o_O

Slacker

Denver is no joke right now. Housing is insane. Trying desperately to buy this year before things get even more out of control.

Insane here in North Dallas at the moment. I envy the people in my neighborhood who are bailing out and getting PAID. Not as easy to do that when you have a couple kids in school. I've been in my house for two years and could easily sell for 20% more than what I paid.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I JUST visited Colorado this week for the first time and let me tell you, my friends, broke out in goosebumps when I saw the silhouette of the Rockies against the setting sun when driving into Denver. Its also clean, modern, and weed. Just hours away from some of the most beautiful mountain vistas, trails for days and mind boggling difference of natural environments in just one state.

I'd consider moving there for a time but I don't really care for living in a land locked state. I like having the ocean 30mins to an hour away.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
A lot of oil and gas layoffs going on in Houston in 2016 so I wouldn't expect them to be on the list next year.

I also wonder if Fayetteville, AR is just a shorter way of saying the Rogers-Bentonville-Springdale-Fayetteville area? You'd have to include Bentonville and Springdale for Walmart and Tyson for the jobs.

Jeels

Hold the fucking phone. How the hell did Harrisburg make the top 25?

Isn't this the same place Trump called a war zone a week ago? This city is all over the news :p

A lot of oil and gas layoffs going on in Houston in 2016 so I wouldn't expect them to be on the list next year.

Houston has diversified a lot. It is hurting and isn't at super fast outpace the rest of the country growth like it used to be, but it's holding it's own. Middle term though, the city needs to figure something out as oil continues to be less and less a player in the global economy, but it's not like previous busts where the entire city would literally screech to a halt.

I always wanted to visit Minneapolis.

Minneapolis-St. Paul I buy though. Love those cities

I live here and I love it. Honestly I think it's one of the best balances of places to live. Good employment options, big enough city that stuff is always going on, sports teams (not great ones lately), nature, good education, healthy, progressive, and relatively affordable for the size of the city. Personally I think we'd be insanely popular if it wasn't for the winters. But as Prince used to say, "the cold keeps the bad people out."

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
#6 here! Boise really is incredible. The summers are too hot, but other than that, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

tcrunch

I didn't care for Dallas at all when I visited it recently, but I suppose that is unrelated to the job market there.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
One of the pics I took from the higher elevated points on Interstate 550 (Colorado)

3JmwAVR.jpg

That strip of road is fucking gorgeous

Brinbe

LOL @ Harrisburg at 25. I thought it was a warzone according to Trump!

Surprised Allentown even made the list, but I guess that's progress? 78th isn't soooooo bad lol.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I agree with Austin at #2 as long as you live super central and work at home its the best city possible.

So basically big cities. 2 NC cities is weird, though. RDU triangle is excellent, not sure about Charlotte.

Inside the city limits, Charlotte is a bigger, better version of Raleigh. Growth right now is insane.

5 minutes outside of the city limits and you are instantly in redneck country (especially to the immediate southeast and west on the other side of the airport)

Durham...has character. Historically, Duke University has operated to be a completely separately entity from the City of Durham. And that's by design (in fact, there's a wall that goes around the entire campus, its too short to actually keep people out, but the symbolism that Duke =/= Durham is there). Over the past few years, though, there's been pretty substantial growth around the University heading towards downtown and a lot of more cool hangouts and spots popping up.

But yeah like Capitalism said, Raleigh (really Wake County) carries the metro in terms of making it a great place to live.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Albany is #36, and I can pretty much assure you nobody has ever said, "you know, of all the places I could live in the state of New York, Albany is definitely the top of the list!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom