• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best places to live in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philia

You know the website is... not perfect when they don't know there's a Roanoke, Virginia. Or they just elected to choose it as it doesn't exist as fact.

FStop7

Banned
The elitism within New York is unparalleled with any other city in the world. If this thread is any indication, New York City may as well be down the road from Heaven; a mecca of culture, advancement, and importance. Every other city must bow down to it's greatness. No other collective populous of people come close.

All these silly flyover states - who need them? They don't matter. They may as well not exist. If you were not born and raised in New York, you are sub-human and do not deserve to live. Truly the greatest city on Earth. Never mind the 55 thousand homeless people. The insanely expensive rent that only the economic elite can afford. The filth and pollution. The overcrowded traffic scene. No, no - clearly this city is the singularity of human perfection, and nothing comes close.

For a city that has voted Democratic for the last 7 (seven) presidential elections, they sure have a bone to pick with lower-income folks. New York - home of Wall Street - you think would be a liberal's nightmare. A wet-dream of capitalism run amok, where the wealthy few hide away in their luxury penthouses while the unfortunate starve on the streets. How progressive.

And then lists like these come out and they act all smug.

Ha ha yeah this list sucks *avoid stepping on dead rat* those flyovers have no culture *strategically dodges several homeless families* why do they all complain this place is so expensive lol *collects inheritance check from great grandfather* not everything's even expensive I mean just look at this three dollar slice pizza *bites into cardboard with ketchup poured onto it*

You must be fun at parties.

leakey

DC can be really good to live in, depending on what neighborhood you claim, but living around the beltway sucks.

Lulubop

The elitism within New York is unparalleled with any other city in the world. If this thread is any indication, New York City may as well be down the road from Heaven; a mecca of culture, advancement, and importance. Every other city must bow down to it's greatness. No other collective populous of people come close.

All these silly flyover states - who need them? They don't matter. They may as well not exist. If you were not born and raised in New York, you are sub-human and do not deserve to live. Truly the greatest city on Earth. Never mind the 55 thousand homeless people. The insanely expensive rent that only the economic elite can afford. The filth and pollution. The overcrowded traffic scene. No, no - clearly this city is the singularity of human perfection, and nothing comes close.

For a city that has voted Democratic for the last 7 (seven) presidential elections, they sure have a bone to pick with lower-income folks. New York - home of Wall Street - you think would be a liberal's nightmare. A wet-dream of capitalism run amok, where the wealthy few hide away in their luxury penthouses while the unfortunate starve on the streets. How progressive.

And then lists like these come out and they act all smug.

Ha ha yeah this list sucks *avoid stepping on dead rat* those flyovers have no culture *strategically dodges several homeless families* why do they all complain this place is so expensive lol *collects inheritance check from great grandfather* not everything's even expensive I mean just look at this three dollar slice pizza *bites into cardboard with ketchup poured onto it*

Salty as fuck

Without a question. Could be better but though but it's my home so oh well.

I think people don't appreciate it's relevance in Global politics, Economic development, and the fact that the US would be a very different place without it. It's not just great, it's incredibly important.

I'm an urban planner, I can confirm. It's also the mecca of Hip-Hop.

I live in the 65th. I can deal with that.

You know the website is... not perfect when they don't know there's a Roanoke, Virginia. Or they just elected to choose it as it doesn't exist as fact.

Oddly they chose to only list populations around 400,000+ and up, but use metropolitan areas to get that data... It makes for a really screwy list when it lists Portland Maine at 600,000 people, when the city is one of the smallest cities in the US (around 60,000). Sure, the whole metropolitan area is 600,000 if you drive an hour+ outside of Portland... but life in Lebanon, Maine is completely different than life in Portland. From this list, you'd get the impression that Portland (600,000) is larger than Roanoke (300,000), when the city of Roanoke (90,000) is a third larger than the city of Portland (60,000)

BlackHeron

Neo Member
Lol at people hating on NYC because.... it is more expensive than most cities.
People forget about its history, beauty, and, generally the pretty awesome things about it.

Don't understand this negative attitude. Sounds more like jealousy than anything else, to be honest.

I mean, it is not a secret that you need to work very hard and have good income to truly enjoy NYC.
That doesn't mean people should hate it on any occasion they get.

With that being said, San Diego sounds lovely. Would love to visit.

TrounceX

Twin Cities stay winning.

Pay attention whenever there is a ranking like this it's either the Twin Cities or Minnesota in general at the very top of the list. Quality of life, economy, housing market, best place to raise a family, public education, universities, seems like just about everything. The biggest complaint is always the harsh winter, but that's whatever, you get used to it and even start to appreciate it after a while. If nothing else it just makes you relish the other seasons that much more.

Check these stats out from the article in the OP:

3.1%
UNEMPLOYMENT RATE

$218,250
MEDIAN HOME PRICE

$916
AVG MONTHLY RENT

25.0 minutes
AVG COMMUTE TIME

You all in NY and LA wish you had it like us!

Lancaster, PA at 54? Hmm...

I mean, if you like heroin and meth, Lancaster is the place for you tho

So the thing with central pa is reading and Lebanon inner city is highly Hispanic and or immigrants that speak Spanish from different parts of the world. Harrisburg is mostly African American in the downtown, but also has growing Indian population. Lancaster inner city is African American, Hispanic, and Korean. All the above cities have drug problems. Lancaster had the least by far. I live in Lancaster county. But I live in the suburbs of Lancaster. More rural and small town America. The inner cities all offer breweries, minor league sports, bars and things to do. The suburbs of so, but safer. So it is all in what you are looking for.

Imo Lancaster is the nicest of all the central pa metro areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom